Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Regardless of what happens here I’d like all those involved to remember there’s only a handful of people here who can ban / delete. g.man is in Qatar and doesn’t have time for this, DS is in no shape to have this put on him.

I’d advise people to step back, regardless of who said what, who is being a dick etc, and realise there’s a lot of potential for collateral damage here. Please.

Repeating because it's true.

• Let's all be cunts cos it's difficult to not be a cunt.

Are you a vegan, Kris? Should I call you a cunt every five minutes until you stop using animal products? If you are vegan, is all of your food grown in the UK? Does any of it come in single use plastics? Should I repeatedly tell you to fuck off after you post?

What about all of the electronics you buy? What is the human and environmental cost of you and your family having nice up-to-date smart phones?

The fact is that it is really hard, in this modern world, for your average person to live in a manner that is ethically sound, unless you choose to eschew absolutely every aspect of modern life. If you haven’t, if you are selective about what indiscretions you will tolerate, you don’t really get to behave in this manner towards people who are making different choices to you.

Most people here will not actively give money to the World Cup. The limit of their engagement will be watching on BBC and ITV. That is indirectly giving money and there is an argument that having no audience might make TV networks think again in future, which might make FIFA think again, but it is not likely.
  • Regardless of what happens here I’d like all those involved to remember there’s only a handful of people here who can ban / delete. g.man is in Qatar and doesn’t have time for this, DS is in no shape to have this put on him.

I’d advise people to step back, regardless of who said what, who is being a dick etc, and realise there’s a lot of potential for collateral damage here. Please.

Repeating because it's true.

Yeah, good post by CiT. Take a breath FFS everyone.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nowt gets my goat more than a sanctimonious, finger pointing cunt to be honest
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There's only three people that can delete your account. Non of them are available at the moment. I'm sure they will do whatever you want doing as soon as they are.
  • Here come all the threads...

DS is closing them.  Is there such a thing as a temporary soft ban?  If so, maybe that instead of account deletion?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nah fuck him
  • The account deletion thread is in the Forum Talk section, just ctrl+f in there, first page. I'd say just take a break though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just scramble your password and fuck off lad. Fuck that shit.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Had no idea you were a mod, DS... Have I ever told you how tall you are, and how awesome your patter is?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Hmmm.  Logged onto ITVHub on my TV and the match isn't coming up.  Comes up on my iphone app though.
  • That's where I'm watching. Showed up fine on the Xbox app.

Super on co-comms, can't beat it.
  • I've got it on the phone in the background, that'll do.  I should do some work!
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Good to see at least the ITV Hub site taking a stand.
    Things can only get better.
  • Wasn’t able to watch the murder ball earlier anyway which is just as well because I’d have probably boycotted it and felt like a right tit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    World/European cups and election nights are why I’ll always make sure I have access to live TV.
  • I've made my feeling clear on this World Cup. I won't be watching any of it, and I'd prefer if others didn't either.

That said, I don't think it's constructive to have a go at people who are choosing to watch it. All it achieves is getting both people angry. I'll not even come in here to lob comments at FIFA, the FA ect, because again it's just going to wind people up for no benefit. I can do that ion the general sport thread.
  • Why haven’t itv progressed to uhd yet? It’s like watching telly in the 90s.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think everyone feels the same way about the world cup. No one is thinking it's a great idea to hold it in Qatar, as much as we like to see g.man suffer.

But it's out of our hands, it's going ahead regardless, so now we get a few differences of opinion on whether to watch it or not. It's to be expected. I don't think it's going to achieve anything by boycotting it, so I'll watch it. Others feel strongly about not watching it. Fair enough.

What's not fair is dick heads coming into the thread attacking people over it. I struggle to understand what they hope to achieve? Having a go at people isn't likely to win them around, and even if it did, it doesn't change a fucking thing. The world cup is still going ahead, bent cunts will still be involved in the decision making. We won't. Why the fuck would you aim your "protest" at us?!
  • Nowt gets my goat more than a sanctimonious, finger pointing cunt to be honest

Uh oh *reconsiders imminent post in climate thread*
  • It's probably back to that whole question, if nobody watched it, then the world cup would fail and a situation like this would likely never happen again. That's what is so insidious about situations like these, to take a sport that millions love and give it to such an appalling regime. It's like holding us, the viewing public, hostage.
  • We all compartmentalise these things to some extent - it's impossible not to these days. But it's a case of where you draw the line. For me the idea that an entertainment event is being staged where people were worked to death to build the stadiums is too much to stomach. It's not even about boycotting or expecting results. How does one watch that?

And I wonder where the line is for other people. Like, if it was announced that one of the workers who built the stadium would be taken out the back and shot in the head before each match. I'm guessing too much?

Also, there were definitely good reasons not to watch previous world cups, especially Russia, but I think this has been more of a last straw thing rather than a sudden change of heart. FIFA has been shady as fuck for a while and it's just got too much this time.
  • It’s just ruined it for me. I’m going to watch some but couldn’t give a shit about it. International tournaments are the only thing in football I properly get into anymore. And, for quite a few reasons, they’ve completely fucked it.
    I’m almost certain with the move to 48 teams next time they’ve fucked the tournament permanently.
  • Yeah that's sort of it for me as well.
    I'm just not gonna be enjoying it so no point really.
    I have become very jaded with football recently in general.

I would say though that while a boycott would never get this thing cancelled a percentage drop in viewing figures will lead to sponsors negotiating reduced deals in the future.

The thing that bothers me most of all are players and pundits preaching one thing and binning it off the second it would result in anything like inconvenience let alone hardship.
    No doubt they will be all parading their rainbow armbands or whatever in the league next year.

Imagine how powerful it would have been if those seven nations wearing that armband took a stand and had their captians sent off even if just for the first game. There are some big teams in that seven.
    England could progress in this group without Kane for two games and with 10 men against Iran.
  • I'd like to have the willpower to not watch but I haven't. I love to get swept up in a tournament - tired memes and all - and will watch the England games until it's confirmed that it's not coming home, same as always. I'm not a proper football man so I won't bother watching after we get knocked out (nothing new there), so maybe I'm not troubling the champions league spots for complicit but I'm aware that IATA in most educated online circles. Although tbh I don't know any irl people who aren't watching (aside from those who don't usually).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I've realised this is a definite blind spot for me. Accidents are accidents, but not at that kind of volume.
    And that's before starting to think about the rules of the country.

Though this event isn't without precedent. We'd had the Olympics in China not too long ago. That shit was eventually spun as a success too, despite many, many questions.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!