Psychonauts 2 - Double Fine? Probably even finer!
  • It’s absolutely dripping in inventiveness.
    You don’t see many games like this anymore.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • You guys need to keep at this.
    I had a mind section that went on far too long but my next mind is fantastic.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • So you’re in two minds then?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah I'm done for now. I'll definitely return to it as reviews are too strong but I might ruin it for myself if I try to push through right now.
  • I'm really enjoying it when you're allowed to actually play, but there's way too many fucking cutscenes and conversations. It's a solid 7 for me.

I was finding this too but it has settled down eventually. My last few play sessions have been me just exploring the whole hub area, doing side missions and collecting stuff.

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • It's been a 8-9 for me so far, probably closer to 9.
  • Call it an 87
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    87 out of ten, or 87 stars?
  • 87 out of 100 normally
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But that's like 78 more
  • You been on the wine again?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The ideas in this are fantastic. Enjoying it a lot more now I'm just mainlining the story and ignoring any side quests.
  • Does that leave you feeling underpowered or is it fine?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's fine. Just nab some cards when you see them. Combat is rare and isn't that difficult.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The side shir doesn't really improve ya much, a lot of it is story stuff. Collectibles are everywhere. Think I explored the base for an hour and ended up with 5 upgrade points.
  • Having a good time with this. It’s just full of fun ideas, has sharp writing, and it looks lovely without the need for bleeding edge visuals. Quite a fan of the fact straight lines and stuff are almost entirely absent, everything has the wonky.. Just met Jack Black, he’s having fun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There's a world in this which is absolutely fucking stunning. Fair play
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Been away all weekend and itching to get back on it. Stayed up until 2am Thursday playing it, something I've not done for a very long time. It's just so charming and full of character.
  • There's a world in this which is absolutely fucking stunning. Fair play

Which one you at? I am just doing the stuff after Feast for the Senses, it’s so good.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    There's a world in this which is absolutely fucking stunning. Fair play

Which one you at? I am just doing the stuff after Feast for the Senses, it’s so good.

The bot you just mentioned. Where you get the violin.

So, so beautiful to look at.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    87 out of ten, or 87 stars?

Jon gives 5 Star because it's so fucking crap.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've not played the first but had twenty minutes on this last night and hmm far from convinced but will give it longer cos y'all keep liking it
  • It’s taken me a little while to get into it but things definitely pick up.  I still think the flow of the game is hugely disrupted by the constant cutscenes especially now the game world is so wonderful.  The questionable place is astoundingly well designed.
  • I gave myself a big chunk of the day yesterday to play this as a treat to myself, and it was worth it.

It's definitely still Psychonauts, for better and worse. It's retained that "3D platformer with the soul of a Point and Click adventure" feel.  Which means, yes, long cut scenes, and even longer conversations.  But on the other hand those conversations are usually wonderfully written, and there's so much more invention than the usual platforming fair.  Better still, so far at least, that invention ties into the plot in surprisingly thoughtful ways.

I'll admit to being luke warm at first.  The opening stages were, fine, but a little too familiar, but having finished...
    Spoiler:
    ...I'm now convinced that they've nailed it. Just wish I had time to spend all day wallowing in it again.
  • I love how many opportunities they’ve found to use Scott Lava’s art all over the place, it adds so much, even if often the levels look like one of his illustrations come to life.
  • I think I must totally be into this kind of pace for a platformer, because I haven't found the cutscenes overlong at all. I'm just generally happy with meandering through it all at my own pace, exploring everywhere and collecting everything.
  • For me it's not that they're long, its just more the stop-start-stop-start nature of them. But I guess they gotta get it in at the start somehow.
  • Yeah, it’s the stop start nature that was initially irritating me. There’s also far too much extraneous stuff thrown at you all within the time frame of when I should just be finding my feet, rather than feeling overwhelmed. Now I’m settled in though I think it’s lovely.

The overall aesthetics are lovely and Tin is spot on with how the game world joins beautifully to the plot and the invention that allows. I have issues with the colours and shapes of the collectibles (the ones that look like hand drawn neon signs) as these can disappear and be too easily dismissed as background noise for me (I’ve tried the different colourblind options but I’m a mixture of a number of types of colourblindness so though it’s nice they’re there, they just don’t really ever work for me). The camera can also be a little unkind at times - certainly with some of the platforming in the open world sections but again, it’s minor stuff and almost adds to the scrappy charm of the thing.

I was going to say that, alongside Deaths Door, it’s the best exclusive on this new gen of Xboxes but then realised it was crowdfunded from ages ago and so it doesn’t count.

Cannot believe that Moot doesn’t like it.
  • I just can’t get over the level of creativity and visual attention to detail in every mind you go intk. There’s more gags and smart ideas for set dressings and twists on simple platforming elements in a single mind than some games have in their entire runtime.
  • This violin level is the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!