Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Talking of reviews, Metal Jesus gives it a solid I guess?/10.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I ordered one way back when. No idea when it'll arrive tho...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm also Group 2
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've always felt the same as MJ there — it needs a backlight. You can maybe argue B&W from the homedev angle, where not worrying about colourisation might speed up your creations.

It's a cute console with enough power for some fun ideas, but a hipster screen.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I have mixed feelings. I'm sure it will be incredibly inconvenient at times but on the other hand I find the Switch is often unusable on the bus a lot of the time due to direct sunlight. Also I've seen people saying "Couldn't you just put a normal screen in and have the 1-bit graphics as an art style?" but that would have just been an absurdity that would have immediately fallen apart. At the end of the day they're getting more orders then they can fulfil so if people would prefer something more conventional and cheaper like a Chinese emulation handheld then they should just do that and leave us hipsters with this weird thing.
  • Yeah I’m the same. Some of the “let’s hope these edges are ironed off in v2” are missing the mark a bit. It was meant to be some niche alarm clock that got too many people excited but also not enough people excited.

Panic saw those reflective screens and were genuinely excited to use them (look at early discussions where they are proud of the screen they are using). There’s a million emu handhelds which do all the things people want and when something different comes about they just want it to be more the same as what they have. Snooze o Rama.
  • It’s way too expensive- Fuck me I still have my og game boy boxed
    The Forum Herald™
  • I really like the look of this but can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on one for fear it'll end up in the drawer. How do the seasons work? Is it a subscription service with a monthly fee or do you just buy seasons individually?
  • When you buy the thing you get the first 24 games that unlock over 12 week. They’re calling it a season but theres no plan yet to officially do anything more than that. Additionally people can separately sell games on itchio or whatever they want and you can load those onto the device.
  • That sounds pretty good.
  • This looks fucking naff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    This looks fucking naff.

Don’t think I’ve read truer words.
  • I don’t know. I think it looks cool and small
    Enough that you actually could carry it about. The unlit back screen puts me off a bit. Eurogamer wax lyrical about it but it’ll end up
    Being a pain in the neck
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve said it before but buy it. Don’t open it and stick it on eBay in ten years.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's gonna be great!! I'm gonna be play it and be like "This huge amount of fun is worth exactly the $263.64 I paid for it!!" Just you wait and see!!
  • You should do the Cost divided by Times Enjoyed

Eg Mario Game and Watch = £50/0.1 = £500 per enjoyment time
    Play date. =£200/12 = £17 per enjoyment.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I’ve said it before but buy it. Don’t open it and stick it on eBay in ten years.

Ooh... I think the danger with this sort of tech is that you mightn't get two bites.

WaspT12.jpg

Then again, what are N-Gages selling for now?
  • b0r1s wrote:

Boo to this cynicism. This thing looks alright and I wish it well.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Does seem weird to be negative over people trying to make something new. Nobody needs to buy it if they don't want to, they won't be missing out on anything apart from some fun little games.
    It's also weird how our current society is so focused on pointing out minor faults in things instead of praising the fact that the thing exists in the first place.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Interestingly I've seen a few counter-impressions saying the screen is actually perfectly visible in fairly low light as long as there is some light. Will be interesting to see it in person.
  • It works the same or similar to e-ink right? Like the page of a book?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it's meant to be a bit more reflective than a Kindle? But similar, yeah.
  • It’s an lcd screen like a wrist watch but way better reflectiveness.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I don't buy the argument "it's kitsch and that's why the screen isn't back lit". It's still a very expensive device, and it's 2022. A back light should be a given. AFAIK the modern Game & Watch machines have back lit screens, and they're probably going to be played once and then put on the shelf as a display piece.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's impossible to backlight that type of screen. Trying to side- or front-light it also has its issues. It's not a cheap screen, it's expensive with niche priorities.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Sounds like they chose the wrong sort of screen, then. IMHO, YMMV. I hope people have fun with the PlayDate, but let's not make excuses for their bad decisions. Time will tell if it's a big issue or not, but it sounds like something that could have been easily side-stepped much earlier on in the design process.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

Boo to this cynicism. This thing looks alright and I wish it well.

I know and tbh it’s the sort of thing I’d have gone for in the past. After all I had… Oric 1, Atari 800XL, Atari ST, SEGA Saturn, Dreamcast… always on the underdogs side.
  • Imo if they wanted to keep the aesthetic but light up the screen they should have used an indiglo/electro luminescence type effect.

The modern G+W products are a bad comparison because I don’t think they’re as well considered products. They’re just kind of lazy.

Panic actively chose this kind of screen because it had a unique feel to it. It can’t be a “wrong” choice because they made the choice they wanted. It’s impossible for me to imagine that they could not have foreseen problems so the fact they chose not to address it is something they decided to do. It’s like when you go out and wear something extra sexy but uncomfortable. It’s not wrong to wear something uncomfortable if your choice is to be principally sexy.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What are you wearing, Crayon?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I don't buy the argument "it's kitsch and that's why the screen isn't back lit". It's still a very expensive device, and it's 2022.

It’s not expensive though. It’s an experimental piece of hardware in an industry where everyone had raced to the bottom on margins. People have become price obsessed to the detriment of invention - it’s a lovely, well kitted out piece of tech with a great screen, nice selection of hardware features, open software and development platform, sideloading, usb-C charging and the like. It also comes with a whole host of exclusive games you won’t find anywhere else.

The “expensive” angle comes from those that like middle of the road products designed with major economies of scale in mind. Don’t like playdate? That’s fine. But saying this is expensive is bull. Invention on a small scale costs money and people have become too accustomed to hyper-capitalist low price shite tech with an apple or Samsung logo slapped on it. This is fucking cool.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!