How does your garden grow?
  • The stupid price tags makes lol even harder at the twits who decide they need a pod for erm, something.

I was trying to be tactful in case anyone else here has one, but since you’ve gone there – who the fuck actually buys these things?
  • I’m hoping we can sell it for enough to buy a really bloody nice chair. But I have no idea how to dismantle, move and then rebuild the thing.
  • da4RJOr.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Trampofuckinglines in new estate gardens are my next most hated.
    See also - plastic cladding, plastic decking, plastic grass, massive council slabs and many other things.

I feel you, but putting a bit of artificial turf under our trampoline has been good investment given how much the kids knacker themselves on it

We ended up with hardwood decking (some kind of Chinese wood, Balau?) but the sanding / oiling is a biannual ball ache and sort of regret not getting the composite stuff... why u no like
  • What's wrong with massive council slabs? I'm a big fan of a 3x2.
  • 3by2’s scare the bejesus out of me.  Awful to handle.

Decking isn’t a great solution in this country imo.  Our climate isn’t really suited to it’s longevity for a start.  Hardwood used to be my go to solution - Balau particularly is a beautiful wood (along with Ipe and Massandubra) but, once you start digging into its origins, all those FT tags and origin reports are all total bullshit dreamt up by the big logging companies hidden behind marketing names like ‘tropical hardwood’ when the reality is felled rainforest and waste timber from future Palm Oil reserves.  It’s a pretty grim story all told and I still feel guilty about using fairly large amounts of the stuff in the past.

I have a dislike for pretty much every product that pretends to be something it isn’t. It kinda seems dishonest and always looks pretty shit to my eyes.  There’s been a massive fucking push to get us to use plastic versions of real things outside and its not a train i’ve jumped aboard.  Apart from the very very very expensive composite decking nearly all isn’t fully UV stable so comes with the same problems as timber that they promised the product would solve, but looking twice as shit.  Astro under a trampoline (which can gtfo anyway) is a great real world solution for a product I’m not a huge fan of but these fuckers tearing up all their gardens to replace anything living with plastic grass, plastic fencing, plastic decking and not even putting a couple of plants in the ground to try and do something to all that water that sits there fermenting the compacted sub-soil are just bonkers.  Urgh, i could go on and on but I realise it’s of no real world interest to most.
  • That's why a good honest lump of concrete is best. I genuinely think big slabs with a little bit of interest like engineering blues looks way better then most fancy garden materials.
  • Please, just put a couple of plants in the ground.  A few living things make such a difference to your immediate surroundings and landscapes.  I guess that’s really all I’m asking.  Stuff in pots is better than nothing but planting directly into the ground has so many more benefits.
  • n0face wrote:
    That's why a good honest lump of concrete is best. I genuinely think big slabs with a little bit of interest like engineering blues looks way better then most fancy garden materials.

Yeah, i can see that tbf.  It’s not exactly sawn and honed yorkstone but they aren’t hiding what they are.
  • Coming clean here.  We have a small area of astro for the dogs to wee on but i’ve countered that with all the plants.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Moved my azaleas to a shadier spot, still managed to get the most damaged one in a spot that gets some sun, so trying to save it this way until it's looking a bit more healthy again. Mixed in azalea soil.
    saving-Azaleas.jpg
    I don't know what the purple thing in the middle is. Just hope the azaleas will be able to get their roots healthy here so they can grow.

What I planted in the sunny spot:
    new-Plants.jpg
    Big Sweet Pea and Petite Sweet Pea, plus a lavender. We'll see how it goes, and if they survive winter when it's a lot more shady there. Hopefully they gain a bit of height so they can get some sun then. Also learned lavender might go dormant in winter? So that could be why my other one (not pictured) looked a bit sad for a while.
    Just happy that I found the smaller, $11,99 pots this time and didn't grab the bigger, $34,99 pots last time. If they die, it's not as much money thrown away.

Proof that I had a least one new nasturtium from the seeds I planted
    nasturtium-Tiny.jpg
    I haven't checked today yet, but when I looked yesterday it already had small bites taken from it, so not holding much hope for this one to actually grow.

Planted this flower last year and it's getting so many flowers now, I really like it
    pretty-Red.jpg
    The red coleus leaves are also kinda going?

Which seems to be the theme for most of my things. My tomato plant has one tomato currently, and seems to switch between giving up and getting bright green leaves all the time. My basil is looking a bit awkward too, I already placed it in full sun and give it water pretty much daily, but the leaves look small and pointy, nothing like what I expect from basil. Those are pretty much the two that are doing the worst. It's not an easy garden to take nice overview pictures, as most of it is just along a wall.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I do hope to live in a place at some point where we'll be long enough where I can see bushes actually grow to a proper size, and have some soil that's actually useable. I'm enjoying my experiments here, but it's not how I'd design the garden if I could just do whatever I wanted.
  • Lavender does indeed go dormant and you’ll get a better plant every year if you cut it all back to just above the old wood.  It takes a bit of faith to do it but trust me, it’ll come back stronger, prettier and healthier every single year.  It stops them going all woody and leggy like they tend to do after a couple of years of neglect.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Good to know. It's very likely that we'll move out of this place July next year, and I haven't really thought about what I do with the plants. So I might not get the pruning benefits.

Take them with me? Which is gonna require big pots and probably a new place won't have the room for them, or leave careful instructions for the next people and check on the plants every month by climbing up the hill at the back of the garden?
  • I've had the tune stuck in my head all evening :D

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    da4RJOr.gif

This. Saved me an image search. :)

Sis bought me a complete boxset one Christmas.....watched the first episode and the dialogue was hilarious.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Maybe I should buy some silver paint and keep the stupid thing.

I do already have the glasses.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRil4d_uSds1hkpTip21cT5F5dZndMNb1FEzavwDlmLMTZU4RV-lff_Yqs0Pm9aOIv5JgI&usqp=CAU
  • Has anyone grown carnivorous plants here, are they difficult to keep outside in the UK?
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Are you mad?  That's how the world will end.  We need to keep those things in check.

Proper answer is no i havent, i have little experience but I'm pretty sure there's a couple that'll doing just fine outside.  RHS website and then search for carnivorous should give you some ideas.  It's a great website for stuff like this.
  • pnPWyx5.jpg
  • Lol. This might not make things better. I have chickens and flies love their poops so the plants will have plenty of prey in the summer.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • I need to get rid of weeds from some pretty big gravel areas. Any suggestions for something that won’t harm the dog?

I like the idea of a gas powered weed burner, but to hell with the idea of using that over big areas. It’d take days. Weeks even.

So are there any off the shelf weedkillers that would do the trick without poisoning Cooper? (Poisoning rabbits is fine. They’ve been eating my veg.)
  • We've got a gas-powered weed burner, or "death wand" as my mother in law calls it.  It's fun but yeah, not for large areas.
  • I love the idea of one, but not for whole car parks etc.
  • I tell the kids to do it. Little fingers are great for pulling up weeds.
  • The meadow is starting to look pretty cool. We’ve done near-zero maintenance on it for this first year, which means grasses and weeds are growing a lot and outnumbering the flowers. But, although it’s hard to see in photos, there are still loads of flowers through it. Bluebells, cowslips, buttercups, cuckoo flowers, red campions, giant daisies, etc.

2BaGCur.jpg

Found these mountain cornflowers growing by the greenhouse, among other spots. Cool thistle-looking things.

HLwhxXV.jpg

No idea what these throwbacks are though. They’re nearly as tall as I am. This must be our Jurassic Park section.

YJNmXG5.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!