PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Managed to film a stoat on our deck, making off with a baby rabbit. At least I think it’s a stoat. Too small to be a weasel, I think?

kprmZOr.mp4

That video works for me, does it show up for everyone else? I uploaded it to Imgur and copied their post link. It’s an MP4 pasted between img tags.

https://i.imgur.com/kprmZOr.mp4 does if I click it tho
  • It was showing just fine for me but i like rabbits so I’m not sure how happy I am about this.
  • That is a fair comment. I figure the reason rabbits are so renowned for reproduction is that things like this happen a lot.

(I also removed a very dead one from the drive this morning which looked like a fox victim.)
  • Also, it *may* just be the angle but those sure dont look like wide enough gaps between your deck boards.  That stuff needs oodles of room to breathe.
  • Aye, just the angle. No worries there, plenty of space between boards.
  • Why had it dropped the rabbit?  Or were you leaving it there as a trap?
  • It ran across the deck and back twice, taking two rabbits (there’s always rabbits in the garden at this time of evening). It dropped this second one halfway, I think because Cooper gave it a fright through the glass. Eventually came back for it.

Then we spotted a smaller one, watching from under a bush. I’m thinking this was a mother teaching it’s youngster to hunt. It’d be about the right time of year.
  • That’s ace.  I presumed stocking up for the youngsters or something.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rabbits are a prey animal. A very successful one.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re the weasel/stoat - imagine being able to carry something your own weight in your mouth. We really are a feeble creature.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd back myself versus a weasel in a square go
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    heh.
  • It’s alive!

61885437-6406-44-AA-9631-80-AEDDB16-E95.jpg

Needed a new circuit board in the base station, which Flymo sent me even though they knew I didn’t have a receipt.

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • would you recommend one then? Goobs has but they seem a little pricey for small lawns...
  • It's overkill for my garden, which takes less than an hour to mow normally, but it was on clearance at B&Q so I got it a lot cheaper than RRP. I love it though, just set when to mow and leave it, nice constant length of grass all summer.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    It’s alive!

61885437-6406-44-AA-9631-80-AEDDB16-E95.jpg

Needed a new circuit board in the base station, which Flymo sent me even though they knew I didn’t have a receipt.
    Funkstain wrote:
    would you recommend one then? Goobs has but they seem a little pricey for small lawns...

That's the same one I have, still going strong. I love it. It's called Larissa and I'm going to stick goggly eyes on it.
  • Ours is called Bladey

07-F2-AC34-64-DF-48-E0-B0-C8-2-C8-A7550440-D.jpg
  • It’s the bow tie that really makes it.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    would you recommend one then? Goobs has but they seem a little pricey for small lawns...

Same question... I don't know how to look after a lawn, but I'm trying to learn.  Our new one is in a terrible state, loads of moss.  It's covered in moss killer right now, and then it'll get reseeded.  I've got a rechargeable mower and strimmer set, but I'd love one of these.
  • Just put fake grass down and never look back Elm. It's amazing.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like real grass though, and I like it when the clover comes through for the bees, and seeing birds pecking around after insects (they actually hope around after the mower because it makes it easier to find them).
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Does anyone have fun ideas about cheap big plant pots? Turns out that now the sun is higher my azaleas get sun pretty much all day, while they were supposed to be in the shade. I could move them to the side of the house, or transfer them to big pots, so I can control the soil a bit better. And take them with me if we move.

Also means I'm gonna have to figure out new things to plant along my wall... The nasturtium seeds aren't doing well. I had one new little plant, was a couple cm already and it just was gone next time I looked for it. Didn't even get to take a picture!
  • We got some massive terracotta pots at our local Tesco recently for only three or four pounds each - ridiculous pricing, they’d be 10 or 20 quid at a garden centre. Might be worth looking in supermarkets over there Nina?

• I have a tree question for our resident pro gardeners.

My sister-in-law has this acer which is about 20 years old and needs to remove it because she’s building an extension on her house.

ZvsEtJV.jpg

How feasible would it be to dig that out and transplant it to our place? Bearing in mind that we’d need to rent a van or truck to transport it.

And how would we actually go about doing it? We have no idea right now how extensive the roots might be. Would it kill the tree if those get cut in the process?
  • The right way to do it is over the next year. Not sure if you’d have that time frame.

Starting from now you would dig a circular trench around the tree - not quite as big as the crown of the tree but a good size. It wouldn’t matter if you strike through some of the smaller roots. You’d then leave the tree all through summer and early autumn and only think about moving it at the end of autumn or through winter. If you get to next spring it’s too late - you should only move large trees and shrubs in the dormant months. Once you get to removing it you’d dig under the tree from the trench you created and hope that you don’t go through too many major roots - a few will be fine. Basically for a tree that size it’s quite an undertaking for diy.

Other option would be to still dig the trench and then wait until autumn and find a tree surgeon/arborist who has a tree lifter. Basically this is a big machine that cuts into the soil and get a nice big root ball with it (and the fancier ones will mesh it up). I’d then get these tree surgeons to price in delivering the tree to you on their trailer. This would be the easiest way but I don’t know the distance between you and your sister? Maybe this makes it unlikely?

Upshot is that if it needs to come out before autumn then the chances of the tree dying are pretty high and it wouldn’t be worth the risk of hiring the van and all that digging.

Hope all that helps.
  • That massively helps, thanks Uncle. And sadly means that this is probably the answer.
    Upshot is that if it needs to come out before autumn then the chances of the tree dying are pretty high and it wouldn’t be worth the risk of hiring the van and all that digging. Hope all that helps.

Their builders are due in August/September and even if the timing was better then access would be an issue for the professional option.

It’s a shame, as it means they’ll basically just have to kill and dispose of the tree. But there’s no point throwing effort and money into an idea that won’t work.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    If you want the tree to have a crack at living on try taking a cutting then?

Unc would have a far better idea of getting that to work than me mind..

Just a thought.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Aye, possibly. It’s really just that she mentioned needing to get rid of the tree and us having tons of space for such things. No big deal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!