Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • One of the central themes of the film is that human DNA = engineer DNA, that's what I meant by genetically identical. Whatever it does to an engineer it should subsequently do to a human. 

Differences by sex would be explicable, likewise if they were dead. I assumed Fyfield was killed by the snake,  or by the atmosphere.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think the Engineer dna is the same as human dna. It seems clear in the intro that it's a mixture. Physically they're different so their dna couldn't be exactly the same, could it? The Engineers created humans, they are not equal. The theme for me is the nature of humanity and by proxy, the nature of what humans have created - ie David.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought they did some science on the head they brought onto their ship in a doggy bag (ignoring basic quarantine procedures by the way. Clang.) and found out we shared the same DNA?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dna with sea cucumbers will match, it doesn't mean we're exactly the same.

Also, I don't think the quarantine procedures apply to an artefact that they were basically looking for and a later outbreak of some weird shit after they've discovered there is malevolent shit on the planet. I may be being lenient here though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm not saying we're exactly the same, just that the black stuff should react the same to us as it does the engineers as we share the same DNA. A sea cucumber should have a similar reaction.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Why? It clearly reacts differently to everything. It makes no sense to presume that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Because I assumed the goo was reacting to and altering the DNA.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Everyone's DNA is different.  Why couldn't it react in different ways?
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    So it does something unique for every possible DNA sequence?

How did the engineers know how it would react the matey boy at the start then?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Maybe they didn't, and just used that guy as an experiment?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hey, you answered your own question. That's not how it works.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe they didn't, and just used that guy as an experiment?

That might explain why they had decided the experiment hadn't worked and were heading back to earth to call it all off when they ended up getting killed.
  • I love that you're all asking questions or dissecting aspects of the film that I never even thought about.

Is this because the film moved you so much to talk about it? Or because it bugged you so much?

I never even bothered to think about the black goo having different properties. I just saw it as black goo that did some shit...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought the film was enjoyable on a number of different levels, and worth discussing.
  • Kow wrote:
    I thought the film was enjoyable on a number of different levels, and worth discussing.

For sure. I like it. The fact that a film has so many different take aways is impressive.

That I can enjoy it in the way I did, yet someone else can see something completely different is wonderful.
  • having finally seen the film,know what my biggest problem is? the fucking stuff on earth that pointed to the planet.it clearly isnt the engineer's homeworld.it seems like its a storage facility for the black goop.why would all early civilisations on earth leave pointers to this engineer outpost? or more to the point why did the engineers want this planet to be found?

and why are there loads of fucking engineer ships on this planet? according to yhe holograms the envineers were running from something.so why didnt the other ships leave/nuke the place?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The homeworld thing stuck out for me at the time too.

But still, it didn't ruin my enjoyment. I've never watched anything in the Alien franchise for the solidity of the plotting.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think those details are things that may be cleared up in the sequels. They don't seem to be mistakes, just not explained.
  • I cut it to shreds in here, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and would certainly do it again. Spectacle like whaaaat.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The homeworld thing stuck out for me at the time too. But still, it didn't ruin my enjoyment. I've never watched anything in the Alien franchise for the solidity of the plotting.
    oh no it didnt dull the spectacle. I agree with everyone here watching the film, gripped and entertained. and looked AMAZING.The art direction was just bang on and I loved the design of the engineers.A great mix of mysterious and powerful. What was cool was they looked quiet placid but wow they angry lol. I just wish one of the characters recognised the fact that this wasnt the homeworld or at least alluded to it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Would that not just be needless exposition? Anyway, by the time that becomes clear they're too busy trying not to be eaten.
  • That would be needless exposition. Maybe it was a home world and they didn't discover the vast residential bits or something. It just doesn't matter.
  • Kow wrote:
    Would that not just be needless exposition? Anyway, by the time that becomes clear they're too busy trying not to be eaten.
    well the whole point of the trip (for noomi and shaw at least)was to get to this signposted planet so i kinda thought that they would at least question why they were directed there. I suppose it was obvious that its not the homeworld etc. but it did jar for me.
  • That would be needless exposition. Maybe it was a home world and they didn't discover the vast residential bits or something. It just doesn't matter.
    ah gotta disagree with that.I do think it matters but i agree its something for the sequel. If it didnt matter though why mount a multi billion dollar expedition to go there? In movie terms though it probably didnt matter if the brief was to get people on planet and get them killed off. But this was meant to be more than a survival horror.Im not saying they spend hours talking about why the engineers signposted the planet but a reference to it wouldnt have hurt? As in "why the fuck were we directed here?" case closed. me happy  lol.
    ah gotta disagree with that.I do think it matters but i agree its something for the sequel. If it didnt matter though why mount a multi billion dollar expedition to go there? In movie terms though it probably didnt matter if the brief was to get people on planet and get them killed off. But this was meant to be more than a survival horror.Im not saying they spend hours talking about why the engineers signposted the planet but a reference to it wouldnt have hurt? As in "why the fuck were we directed here?" case closed. me happy  lol.

The characters fund an expedition to this place to work out why they're been left star maps. And they find something that possibly explains the birth of humanity. That in itself is enough. Massive discovery made, expedition successful.

Whether the planet was a homeworld or a storage facility or a theme park to the aliens is utterly irrelevant for these characters until they have processed their immediate findings and find the time to worry about such things. Obviously everything goes tits up before they reach a stage where they can start pondering the nature of the planet and its relation to the signs of life they've discovered upon it.

Its just not that bigger deal, doesn't really matter.
    The characters fund an expedition to this place to work out why they're been left star maps. And they find something that possibly explains the birth of humanity. That in itself is enough. Massive discovery made, expedition successful. Whether the planet was a homeworld or a storage facility or a theme park to the aliens is utterly irrelevant for these characters until they have processed their immediate findings and find the time to worry about such things. Obviously everything goes tits up before they reach a stage where they can start pondering the nature of the planet and its relation to the signs of life they've discovered upon it. Its just not that bigger deal, doesn't really matter.
    you make good points! it remains a niggle for me. A sequel would really get me hot under the collar indeed.
  • Was just wondering last night how much more awesome this movie about a fiasco would've been had it been put together by Armando Iannucci and co, even if they went easy on the gags.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Steve Coogan as David? Look at these runes. Aha!
  • Nah, the casting was sound enough. Elba's accent was a bit wobbly, but otherwise.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I reckon Elba should used had his proper South London accent. That would've worked for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!