Gods & Monsters: The Prometheus Thread (Mahooosive Spoilers!)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The goo does something different with every life form it interacts with, apparently. Plus, the black stuff at the beginning is not necessarily exactly the same stuff - there are millions of years in between.
  • It is The Chaos. Were I Hollis I'd type it in allcaps.
  • I think the thing is we're used to geek IPs being thick on the Lore and shit and this one just wasn't all that interested.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    People will sit through the fucking Star Trek movies and not bat an eyelid.
  • Brooks wrote:
    May be reading the runes rong but it seems like most who skipped the initial release window basically got on alright with the film, and those who didn't didn't?

I saw it on release, didn't have huge expectations, didn't take it too 'this is the 2nd coming of Sci-fi jeebus omg internet rage-RAAAARRR!!', enjoyed it as a visually stunning and imaginative sci-fi romp with some pretty cool set pieces.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Well aren't you the fly in my theoretical Savlon
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Alien is one of my favourite films so I guess if anyone was going to hate it, it should have been me.
  • Bzzzz. **gaaasp**
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Savlon cures fly. And creates powerful mutated fly hybrid. It's...
  • Brooks wrote:
    Well, it's lazy or it's polite insofar as it leaves it open to entertaining post-match speculation, which seems a valid artistic tactic to me.

That was one intention; they've even publicly compared it to the "is Deckard a replicant?" discussion post Blade Runner. It's an extremely lazy tactic compared to that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    But wad aboot the guy who maps the installation getting lost? Wad aboot the other dick tickling the alien snake like it was a fucking puppy?

There are loads of little clangers dropping all the way through that stop me from enjoying it. Clangers that really could have been prevented if someone stopped and thought about it for a second. The big plot points like the black goo and the motives of the engineers I can ignore, hopefully they might get explained away in a sequel. It's the daft little things that spoil it. Like the captain just wandering off to get his end away while two of his crew are stranded on an alien planet. Clang.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    As far as the captain is aware, the two scientists are perfectly safe down there as there is no life. IIRC. Plus, he is black, therefore doesn't care about two white guys, only about gettin with white wimmin.
  • Yeah, those bits didn't bother me. Even the exobiologist playing with the killer alien snake could have been explained; utter astonishing fascination at seeing an example of alien life for the first time? It was the lack of consistency with the black goo, the randomness of the final suicide, and the whole point of David infecting Holloway in the first place that got my goat. 

And the running away from the rolling ship bit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I posted a few pages back why the David /Holloway thing makes sense to me. Check that out, not going to explain again. I think it makes a lot of sense. David even asks Holloway how far he is prepared to go.
  • Kow wrote:
    I posted a few pages back why the David /Holloway thing makes sense to me. Check that out, not going to explain again. I think it makes a lot of sense. David even asks Holloway how far he is prepared to go.

Oh go on, at least find me a page number. I figured it was David's playful, experimental nature, and Holloway was an easy mark as he was pissed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Yeah, those bits didn't bother me. Even the exobiologist playing with the killer alien snake could have been explained; utter astonishing fascination at seeing an example of alien life for the first time?
    You can't explain away the biologist being terrified at the thought of an alien life form one minute, literally running in the opposite direction from it, then going all touchy feely seconds later when he's faced with one. You're either scared or you're not.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Yeah, those bits didn't bother me. Even the exobiologist playing with the killer alien snake could have been explained; utter astonishing fascination at seeing an example of alien life for the first time?
    You can't explain away the biologist being terrified at the thought of an alien life form one minute, literally running in the opposite direction from it, then going all touchy feely seconds later when he's faced with one. You're either scared or you're not.

Yeah, but he was scared of what might be there: when it was animal alien life, something he was used to, and not a huge engineer ready to smash his head to bits, I can see why he might have calmed down a bit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Oh go on, at least find me a page number. I figured it was David's playful, experimental nature, and Holloway was an easy mark as he was pissed.

It was this page. I don't know how to get it to scroll to the relevant post. How do you do that?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You could edit the URL if you could be arsed to count back to the relevant post.
  • Kow wrote:
    He's not trying to kill him, although he doesn't seem to worry about it, he's using him to create a new form of life and thus join the ranks of living creatures.  When he discovers Shaw is pregnant with a creature, he insists on taking her cross, which, for me at least, symbolised his belief that he had succeeded in joining the ranks of living creatures. It was important for him to keep it with him as part of his predilection for tokenistic human behaviour. When she takes it back, it symbolises the human domination over whatever aberration David has managed to create. .

That's very good. The only problem I have with that is that when the writers themselves offered up such a simplistic explanation of why the black fluid did different things, I can't believe they're smart enough to have written your take on things in deliberately! Works for me though. I had David doing it out of a childlike sense of experimentation, but yours fits in even better. He should have done it to Vickers, though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think there are some homosexual overtones implicit in David and, indeed, in the film in general. His actions are determined from the moment the Engineers are discovered. He is clearly on a mission. He doesn't hesitate.
  • Elm, deliberate-ness/intention is irrelevant - if an audience member can construct a reading they're comfortable with, the product is a success.
  • Ftr I also had Dave down as a merely amoral tinkering git. He's technically the only winner of the whole show, insofar as he manages to cause all that trouble, learn a bunch of stuff and still be functioning at the end.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The stuff with the cross is too clear for it to have been just a coincidence. They cut so much in the editing that I can't believe they left in the two scenes with the cross without it having a clear symbolic meaning. The meaning is obviously about the creation of life, and the fact that David is central to both scenes is telling.
  • Director's no stranger to that kind of detailing, so yeah.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Elm, deliberate-ness/intention is irrelevant - if an audience member can construct a reading they're comfortable with, the product is a success.

I see what you mean, and I agree for the most part, but only really when it comes to discussing character motivation/intention, "is Deckard a replicant" or "was Tyler Durden real?" elements. The mechanics of how something works should be at least discernible from the movie, though. 

I'm sure I came up with some methods of action for the black goo that satisfied me that'd mean it meets your criteria, though. It disassembles engineers to DNA, and does the same to humans, but the stuff being stale/humans being different means it takes much longer, hence Holloway Wollstonecraft have eventually turned into DNA as per the opening scene if he wasn't killed. 

It exists to reproduce, hence why it impregnates females however it gets there. And Fyfield was already dead by the time he landed face first in it, having had snake acid spat at him, so that's why he became a zombie crab man.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    We don't know he was dead. The air was breathable. Or am I misremembering? I don't think the gender of what it impregnates matters. John Hurt in Alien?
  • Kow wrote:
    We don't know he was dead. The air was breathable. Or am I misremembering? I don't think the gender of what it impregnates matters. John Hurt in Alien?

So maybe there was a creature living inside Holloway as he was killed? If so, that brings me back to confusion as to why a genetically-identical engineer could drink it and disassemble into constituent DNA parts, while the human gets monstered up.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The air was breathable in the installation, they took their helmets off every chance they had.

Zombie crab men. Great stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well, the engineer is clearly not identical genetically. We see his dna split up and reassembled with new parts. 

The worms also appear to be mutated, not something which has been birthed. Maybe it does need a female to actually gestate something new. Or maybe it acts differently in different circumstances. It mutates cells basically. Maybe in women in the womb, in men it just takes control of cells.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!