‹ Previous123
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmmmm. I have arrived here by a somewhat circuitous route that I have to come clean on.

I posted a question over at the Edge forum last night and when I looked back earlier today I saw a post has been deleted and I jumped to conclusions that some old Edge "fuck-wittery" had happened with wits derailing and ridiculing the post.

I posted a self-rightous little rant about cliquishness and so on and then Dante educated me as to what actually happened...a post telling me to come here had been deleted. I've left my indescretions visible on the old Edge forum and come here on bended knee saying "Sorry"....hope I'm accepted.

Anyhow - question pasted in from OP in Edge forum:
    December past, I suggested having a video game competition in - gasp - work. No big deal - kind of a wind-down thing held over a couple of lunchtimes the week leading up to the office party. Its an IT office with a good range of ages and game experience but the game had to meet certain criteria.

I wanted a knockout format - no leagues or anything elaborate - so the game must be 2 player Vs, a game can't last too long (5mins say) and most important - be pretty accessible so that it's a relatively level playing field AND be kind of entertaining to watch. I chose Tetris and selected the SNES version's "Game B" which is a 2 player first to 25 lines mode with garbage on. I managed to get 16 people interested (+ more just watching & slagging),

We got the SNES outputting via good old s-video through a projector and well - it went down a storm. So much so that I've been led to believe that more similar events (say once every two months) would go down pretty well. The young'uns found using the SNES to be quite quaint and it all added to the fun so I'd like to throw a couple of older consoles into the mix with this gen.

My problem is thinking up 5 more games that fit the bill - its harder than you think. Fighting games are too anal and would degenerate into a button mashing thing, split screen racing probably wouldn't be much fun to watch unless people are really evenly matched, and an FPS requires messing about with a LAN or split screen and wouldn't be much craic to watch for the uninitiated (there are folk at work who go off and have LAN parties and that isn't really what this is about). Shmups are too manic and don't really offer a proper vs game - and I have puzzle games covered with Tetris.

I've thought of Virtua Tennis - I have the first 2 on DC, 2 arcade sticks and a VGA box so that would probably go down well. A first to 3 games set would meet the time limits.

Given the business we are in Typing of the Dead would probably go down well too (have it on DC as well with 2 keyboards) and Let's Tap on Wii (that little obstacle course game) is a riot and a 4 player format could be squeezed in. The thing is I'm not familiar with what the 360 or PS3 would have to offer so I'm a bit stuck.

I've toyed with Bomberman but not sure its a spectator-friendly game. There's the obvious Wii bowling et al but the turn-around for a game might be too slow.

Anyone have any other ideas? There's bound to be loads of games to meet these requirements.

EDIT : Wii Sports Boxing, Monkey Ball and Punch Out have been suggested...any others?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Trials, pass the pad type thing.

Virtua Tennis is a good shout, I still play the odd game here and there.
  • I think Blur has split screen on the 360 and the PS3. It's actually pretty deep, but very easy to pick up and have a go.

Split screen is pretty rare on the HD consoles, seems to have gone out of fashion.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The sparseness of suitable games may actually say something about the supposed mainstream status of games as an entertainment. I can remember a thread a long time ago about televising video game competitions - the main problem is actually making a game that an audience could follow and maybe even be entertained by.

Most of the fun in my experiment came from the fact that 20-odd people were in the room who work togther and get on well made the event - and maybe we could have been playing tiddleywinks for all it mattered - but there are certain games that lend themselves to this format and maybe there should be more of them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I think Blur has split screen on the 360 and the PS3. It's actually pretty deep, but very easy to pick up and have a go.

Y'see that's where I think the problem is - as splendid a game as that looks, a 2 player racer can make for dull viewing if opponents aren't evenly matched and therefore not really interacting. While its fun for those taking part it isn't really something you could watch 15 times in 16 person knockout competition - this is why its hard to pick games.

It's a shame to hear that split screen gaming is fading - the old nudge on the sofa experience being on its way out...

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had thought of Micro machines - but unless you know the tracks its a "drive a bit then fall off at the next bend - repeat" kind of thing which isn't really all that accessible - despite the fact that its one of the best multi-player games ever.

Not everyone has the wiring to deal with top down racer steering from the off either.
  • Demolition Derby on the ps1 (2?)?
    Track knowledge not needed and I bet it would get some banter going.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Quake Arena on ps2. Or Timesplitters.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Again - not sure an FPS makes for good viewing - we have LAN party guys who cater for that.
  • You 'orrible ducky cunt. Got me deleted and everything. :) (look! we do smileys)

Anyway, Did Burnout Paradise not have some kind of 'pass the controller' party mode? Never played that mode myself though.

Yeah that looks like a good shout

http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/party.php

You have to buy the Ultimate Edition - should be cheap as chips.
    You could also look at the silly game modes in older Xbox destruction racing game FlatOut. You should be able to pick that up for pennies too. Works on 360 too.
  • Any of the Wii Mario and Sonic games must be in with a shout? I.e 100m sprint on Olympics?

Mario Kart?

Peggle?!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Similar to Wii Sports I'd suggest Kinect Sports.

There's all sorts of mini games in Kinect Adventures but you'd have to check suitability.

Sorry, I'm assuming you have Kinect here.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band maybe?

If you were going old school then Worms, Sensible Soccer, Mario Kart, GoldenEye maybe?

Klax? Puzzle Bobble?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You 'orrible ducky cunt. Got me deleted and everything. :) (look! we do smileys)

Anyway, Did Burnout Paradise not have some kind of 'pass the controller' party mode? Never played that mode myself though.

Yeah that looks like a good shout

http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/party.php

You have to buy the Ultimate Edition - should be cheap as chips.
    You could also look at the silly game modes in older Xbox destruction racing game FlatOut. You should be able to pick that up for pennies too. Works on 360 too.

Appy-polly-logs for that!!

An olympic style - Track n Field type of thing is nearer the mark...Athlete Kings on Saturn was pretty polished in its day - better than the waggle-waggle of today's efforts on the Wii...think the PS1 got a good showing with International Track n Field too - no idea of anything later than those as good...

Generally I think race games aren't good for baying at from the sidelines - maybe the Monkey Ball Competition mode with its basic split screen race to the goal and short levels is a better call.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Re hardware - I either have any console or access to one so any suggestions welcome.

The basic problem I find unsettling is that faced with the requirements of my first post the greats of gaming tend to fall over like ninepins....there isn't much that offers:--

2 player interactive Vs.
    5 min turnaround
    easy to pick up and play
    fun to watch

I have well over 600 titles at home and can pick about 6 or 7 that I think might do...as I don't want to overdo the puzzle genre - a Tetris/Puyo/Bust-a-move/Puzzle Fighter entry covers one game.

Something Kinect related sounds promising...
  • Worms is a good shout.

You need a "you bastard" moment or two.
  • What's this thread about I feel dizzy.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Hang on - no-one's said WarioWare yet?!
  • Yeah, them wii sports / kinect sports games can be funny - any of those kind of party games (karaoke, dancing games and the like) might be good for a group of non-gamers.

I reckon the fighting games would probably be a good next port of call TBH - quick rounds, very competitive, don't need to learn a track, fairly easy for spectators to understand, easy to do tournament and declare a winner and such - button mashing will happen but it'll probably be good fun for anyone with at least a passing understanding of the games. Probably quicker turnover of players and rounds than a sports / footy game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Hang on - no-one's said WarioWare yet?!

Yeah - the Gamecube version has an excellent multi-player mode with you balancing on turtles etc...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yeah, them wii sports / kinect sports games can be funny - any of those kind of party games (karaoke, dancing games and the like) might be good for a group of non-gamers.

I reckon the fighting games would probably be a good next port of call TBH - quick rounds, very competitive, don't need to learn a track, fairly easy for spectators to understand, easy to do tournament and declare a winner and such - button mashing will happen but it'll probably be good fun for anyone with at least a passing understanding of the games. Probably quicker turnover of players and rounds than a sports / footy game.

I hear that and I've been tempted to stick a fighter in there - one of the earlier Street Fighers maybe - Alpha 2 or somesuch as the later Vs series are just too manic.....Dead or Alive 2 (or later) or a Soul Calibur might be a go-er for 3D fighting.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Worms is a great game but turn-around time and the overall pace are against it.

Have an appointment with Arthur Guinness now - many thanks for the suggestions so far,,,,,
  • I thought about doing something like this once.

If you have the room, stick some board games around the room - connect 4, battleships, bananagrams, that sort of thing.
  • davyK wrote:
    I hear that and I've been tempted to stick a fighter in there - one of the earlier Street Fighers maybe - Alpha 2 or somesuch as the later Vs series are just too manic.....Dead or Alive 2 (or later) or a Soul Calibur might be a go-er for 3D fighting.
    I dunno - SF4 and the new ones are pretty easy to clock I reckon - 2 fighters facing off, tell them which ones are the punch buttons and which are the kick buttons and let em rip. 
    If you can get 2 fight sticks it makes it a bit easier to understand - joypads with loads of buttons and sticks often a bit bewildering to non-gamers, hence kinect / Wii / Karaoke games being pretty good for that crowd.
  • Oh, last suggestion - lightgun games.
  • Super tennis
    Mario (the vs bit)
    Bomberman
    Mariokart
    Fastest run (blind ie without watching others) on Ann or dkc
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • If you can get 2 move controllers then try Tumble, the multiplayer is easy to pick and gets quite tense, a bit like Jenga in some modes.  Slightly biased as I worked on it.

I'll also 2nd Mariokart wii.

If you're looking at fight games check out tatsunoko vs capcom and waku waku 7, the art and effects will keep the spectators entertained :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Nice to see you made it over here davyK.

welcome home mate

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hey, he called you a forum queen or tranny or something.
  • I am comfortable with my sexuality.

:D

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have nothing against trannies, fyi. Give DS a call.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!