2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • 56. Star Wars Episode I Racer (N64) - 7hrs  

I remember wanting this on release being a Star Wars nut. I gave it a go on a demo pod in Walmart while on holiday in America and the speed melted my eyeballs.
    I decided against it as it was just too fast for me, I didnt know about the whole PAL/NTSC thing at the time. Probably would have been ok with the PAL version.
  • 42.CoD: Cold War - 5 Hours - 7/10 - Series X

Another good CoD campaign, look forward to them every year and whilst it wasn’t one of the better ones it was still good.

Nice bit of Cold War here and there, some Nam thrown in for good measure, psychological torture and madness levels, good mixed bag of a campaign. Some good returning characters and the new ones were pretty good too. Was nice being able to pick a few SP perks for your character too, nothing deep at all but a little bit of fun.

Technically good, looked beautiful in places but held back a little by the last gen. 120hz made it super smooth and it was a pleasure to play. Far too short but I suppose it’s meant to be played through at least 3 times. Will move on now while it’s worth is high then pick up again at a later date to go through again for some more fun.
  • 57: Dirt 5 (PS5) 7/10

Had a really inconsistent time with this one.  For most of it, it was a really fun arcade rally game.  But then there are a few events that I really couldn't stand.  Those being sprint cars, racing on ice, and gymkhana.  I was dismayed when any of those events came up in arcade mode.  I found them frustrating to play and I was shit at them.  The rest of the races though were all good!  It's the kind of racing game where you're mostly doing those handbrake drifts around corners and banging into the other racers.  Tremendous fun!

Even then I found the AI to be pretty inconsistent - usually it's really easy to come first on Medium difficulty, but every once in a while an event would come up where I really struggled and I had no idea why.  Then it was back to winning easily (I'm not good at racing games for reference).

The other inconsistent thing is the graphics.  Depending on the weather and time of day it can look fantastic or Launch Game PS4 level.  Digital Foundry point out due to the game's dynamic weather this is just what happens; you can't expect it to look great all the time.  Well, to that I say, stuff dynamic weather!  Just make a track have sunshowers all the time if that's what makes it look the best!  

As an aside I am pretty sick of the current paradigm of extreme racing tacky paintjobs on cars.  It's been going on in games for like 10 years!  Everything's really garish and I'm over the look.  

Pretty fun game though!  Was a bit bloated but there's worse crimes.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That sounds pretty fair from my dabbles thus far!  But I'm only half a dozen races in, and there seem to be 125 if my maths is right!
  • 34. Paradise Killer [9]
    This is one of those games that I just want to talk about a lot. But I also don't because I'd want anyone who's going to play it to know as little as possible. It's the latest in what's becoming an incredibly strong genre of open-ended investigation games, after the like of Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds and Telling Lies. Yet it's also like nothing I've played before with its lurid, disorienting vibe and mix of exploration, 3D platforming, evidence collecting and suspect interrogation. At first it's just too weird to get your head around, but after a couple of hours you get how the world works and how the single island map links together. I don't want to say much more. Except every aspect of it just harmonises so perfectly together and I hope more people play it. A little confusion and slow progress in the early stages is well worth putting up with for what comes after.
  • The music! Mention the music!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    That sounds pretty fair from my dabbles thus far!  But I'm only half a dozen races in, and there seem to be 125 if my maths is right!

Yeah that sounds about right.  I started off trying to get the 3 gold stars on each track, but gave up on that pretty quickly!

Have you tried multiplayer?  Imagine that would be a blast but I'm not set up for it ATM
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Haven't yet, no - may well try once I've got a few more wheels available...
  • 58: Murder By Numbers (Switch) 8/10

This Jon B approved, Picross/detective visual novel thingy is a real joy.  I love a bit of picross and my only trepidation going in was that the story might get in the way of the puzzles.  That was not a problem.  It's full of fun characters and really good writing.  Great humour in particular.  

You follow the story of Honor and Scout.  She's a down on her luck actress, the daughter of a hero detective.  He's a robot with a shady past.  HOW WILL THEY GET ALONG?  Really well actually.  They're both good people doing good things.  

The puzzles are mostly the usual picross thing.  I don't think you can go too wrong with them, and if you do you can check your mistakes.  They're justified within the story by them being how Scout analyses a crime scene.  I'm not sure how well that works, but that sort of thing doesn't bother me.  I just go with it.  I like the story, I like the puzzles, I'm happy.

It's minimalistically, cleanly presented with some pretty nice artwork, but no animation.  I liked it.  I wasn't so keen on the music though.  A bit too Wheel of Fortune for my liking.

Maybe a criticism could be you don't really have any bearing on how the investigation plays out.  You talk to suspects, you find and present evidence, but you don't really have to piece everything together.  Sometimes you need to pick from a choice of 3 options to progress the case, but if you get it wrong it doesn't really matter.  You jsut choose again until you get it correct. Honestly I'm fine with this though.  I'd be a shit detective in real life.  I had no idea who the culprits were as the story went on.  I felt a bit like Jesse Pinkman sometimes.

Really enjoyable stuff.  I'll be up for the hinted at sequel.
  • 123. Carto - Xbox One (6hrs)

Lovely little puzzle game that tries something genuinely different and succeeds on almost every level.  You control Carto, who has the ability to rearrange map pieces by sliding or rotating & knitting them together together as she searches for her granny.  I was expecting it to unravel as it went along - while hoping the initial promise could be sustained - but it kept adding fresh ideas and neat little puzzles right up to the end.  The central conceit is delightful and while it's not a brain buster by any means it requires some very well designed map manipulations in order to progress.  The characters are strong and the script is good, meaning the whole package is close to essential for anyone looking for a pipe & slippers puzzler.  [8]

gif-3.gif?t=1603829682

Footnote: There's a puzzle in the game that requires you to pull two switches then rotate a wheel (not a spoiler as you're following prompts at this point).  You're told to 'put your hands on the wheel', which instantly made me think of Hands on the Wheel by Willie Nelson, which is easily my most listened to track this year.  Somewhere in my mind I was furiously attempting to pretend it was a direct reference, but clearly it wasn't and I was massively reaching.  But a few hours later the credits rolled and....is that a chiptune approximation of Hands on the Wheel?

Spoilers ahoy, obviously

Big Willie style:

Is this just me being weird?  I sent @nick_md a video of Harry Dean Stanton singing it yesterday, and probably went off on one about the song again.  ISN'T THIS ODD.

124. Huntdown - Switch (2hrs)

Forgot to add this the other day.  Another run through, on easy this time.  I've now finished on normal solo, normal co-op and scrub solo.  It's still plenty of fun even without any real resistance.  One of my favourite games of all time, deep as a puddle whichever way you slice it but perfect at what it does.  A patch has supposedly added spit & polish here and there, but the differences are minor to the untrained eye  Reminds me of thumbing 20ps into arcade cabinets at the seaside and designing extra characters for games that couldn't hold a candle to this one.  [9]
  • 43.Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 8 Hours - 7/10 - PS5

So let’s get it out of the way, this is super overpriced DLC, it’s short, the missions are stretched out by just adding more enemies and making restarts rather vicious, kill 39 guys and die on the last? Right back the start a good 10 minutes ago. But...it’s not bad.

It can be stunning and the Ray-Tracing truly is beautiful. The sound is spot on and the soundtrack is bang on for the character. And really it is fun. Swinging around as Spidey can’t be dulled and the fighting with new extra Morales points can still be fun and look spectacular even if it’s not too technical. And the story isn’t bad and I had a tiny man cry at the end.

Overpriced DLC boxed up for Next Gen but it did do it’s bit.
  • Looking forward to playing the original but I don't think I'll bother with Morales.
  • The original was amazing, and to be fair this isn’t a bad game at all, just the same thing again at a very high price for what it is. Had this been filled a little better it would have been a good £25 bit of DLC, but for the price it’s nuts.
  • 59: Trials of Mana '20 (PS4) 7/10

This is just okay.  It's a remake of a legendary SNES game, that I knew as Secret of Mana 2, and that didn't get a western release until 2019 on Switch.

The old version is alright but shows is age IMO.  Really clunky and slow menus for your magic and items really hold it back.  On the other hand, the 16 bit graphics and audio haven't aged a day.  

The new version on the other hand has much more enjoyable, streamlined fighting, but visually it's very plain.  Quite clean looking and clearly laid out but it just looks like any old generic cartoony RPG.  It's certainly no Dragon Quest or whatever.  It's a bit strange looking at a remake of a game that, for a couple of decades, I only knew for the jaw dropping screenshots from the magazines back in the day, reimagined as a mid budget PS4 game without any real flare.  The awesome music has survived, at least.

Further to that I'm not sure how well the story plays out.  It's very succinct and pantomimey and I don't think it works when played out over a voice acted cut scene.  It keeps its odd layout too, where you're supposed to play it twice (there are six selectable characters.  Each game you pick three) to see the whole story. 

I think I would have liked either a) a full 3D remake with a big budget that ties all 6 characters together into 1 playthrough, tastefully rewritten, or b) a 2D remasterish thing where it has a modern control layout so you're not fiddling with menus so much, and it has generous auto saving.

This is fine but doubt it will be memorable.
  • Clunky and slow menus? As in, technical problems? Or design problems? I never played the sequel for more than half an hour on emulator back in late 90s, but first SoM is one of my favouritest games and has a legendary menu system that I’m surprised many others didn’t copy. It was one of the best things about the game.
  • 125. FAR: Lone Sails - Switch (2hrs)

Succinct and well made journey game. Your task is to travel from starting point to destination in a huge, slow moving vehicle by juggling various systems to keep it trundling onwards. As a very loose comparison, it's part Inside and part Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time, albeit without the shmup aspect of the latter.  The vehicle has a baker's half dozen buttons, pulleys and functions, all of which you'll gradually work out as you progress.  Getting a bead on the systems is part of its charm, so I won't spoil things by explaining more, but needless to say there's not much scope for resting on your yanny's.  

I haven't played anything quite like it and I enjoyed what it offered, although at 2hrs from title screen to credits a full price purchase would've had me seething.  I'd definitely recommend it at £6 though, it's bleak, interesting and rather beautiful, even on Switch. [8]

MealyGlassEyas-size_restricted.gif
  • 35. Twin Mirror [4]
    Dontnod's latest is a bit of a mess. Originally meant to be episodic but now released as a single piece, and it feels kind of unfinished and shorter than it should have been. It just isn't really up to standard at any level - cliched setting and story, bland script, wooden character models and animation, a non-event of a murder mystery, and lots of potentially interesting themes that don't really go anywhere. The one element of note is the 'mind palace' mechanic, where the main character reconstructs scenes in his head, which looks rather nice. But that's pretty undercooked as well. Life Is Strange this ain't.

I did a full review here:
    https://www.nme.com/reviews/game-reviews/twin-mirror-review-a-forgettable-murder-mystery-cliche-in-small-town-america-2833957
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Clunky and slow menus? As in, technical problems? Or design problems? I never played the sequel for more than half an hour on emulator back in late 90s, but first SoM is one of my favouritest games and has a legendary menu system that I’m surprised many others didn’t copy. It was one of the best things about the game.

A bit of both - the equip/character etc menus are laggy, and didn't really like the ring menu in boss fights (where you're stopping the battle every second to use a spell or item.

Agree, I loved it on SoM, these days I'd rather more fast paced action rpgs where you rarely stop the action during a battle.
  • Haven’t played SoM in decades. Probably would feel clunky to me too if I played it now. One thing I know would hate is the slow moving charge for attacks, specially charging up to level 8.
  • 44.Gears - Tactics - 12 Hours - 8.5/10 - Series X

That was ACE! Not a huge fan of RTS games but Gears suited this perfectly! Split into 3-Acts with a number of chapters in each as well as side missions too, all obviously quite similar just in different environments with a number of different enemies keeping it fresh. Number of characters with slightly different abilities and loads of options to upgrade them giving each one totally different skills and different ways of playing when picking your crew.

Story was usual Gears stuff and was interesting enough. And the characters were usual Gears too with a few angry civvies thrown in. Game looked awesome and had particularly good sound too.

Loved playing this and every mission could quite easily turn into a proper battle if you got it wrong but even then it was ace getting stuck in. Really hope there’s some DLC for this and it’s had enough love to warrant a sequel!
  • I'm up to 3-5, going to try (and probably fail) to finish it tonight. Current score would be somewhere between an 8 and a 9, it's my favourite grid 'em up since the hugely underappreciated Mario Rabbids.
  • It’s just so good. It’ll take a couple of hours from there. And the last boss is tough without the right loadout so be ready to use a couple of reset tokens and Chuck some helmets on your heads to get that extra bit of armour etc.
  • Should've listened and I've had to abort the final battle so I've lost the checkpoint. Tough. I've reset my skill points now.
  • Just reached a third checkpoint and Gabe gets killed by an unavoidable shot immediately after (and every time I reload for good measure). Got to start again, so that's another hour wasted. Fuck this, I'm up at 5.
  • Finished it. Great game, last boss took so long to wear down it took the shine off a teeny bit though. I'm sure my tactics were way off but it felt like that stage lasted longer than an average film.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Finished it. Great game, last boss took so long to wear down it took the shine off a teeny bit though. I'm sure my tactics were way off but it felt like that stage lasted longer than an average film.

Completely agree with it taking the shine off a little, but at the same time when I finally got my tactics down it was a blast. I just used Empower from Gabe and whatever the ability from Sniper Lady to get 8 turns with her and Jack to increase her crit hit chance, meant in 3 or 4 turns he was dead. But at first I spent ages grinding it and making such little progress it was driving me nuts.
    Artist also known as Verecocha...
  • *Minor last boss spoilers*

I ended up relying on empower (which I didn't have before reshuffling the abilities just for that level) and the sniper but must've missed whatever ability gives her 8 turns. I guess I could've taken out the rocket pods quicker with that. It was really tough to manage the relentless grunts and the rockets and chip away at the boss, so I dropped it down to beginner in the end, for shame. It still took ages and I still had to reload in the middle. I'd spent half the game with Gabe having an ammo limit of 2, which just wasn't going to work for this battle so he felt really weak all of a sudden (I think the legendary perk I'd been using had a +80 damage modifier).

Superb game though, so many style of play possibilities. Will play a sequel for sure.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    *Minor last boss spoilers* I ended up relying on empower (which I didn't have before reshuffling the abilities just for that level) and the sniper but must've missed whatever ability gives her 8 turns. I guess I could've taken out the rocket pods quicker with that. It was really tough to manage the relentless grunts and the rockets and chip away at the boss, so I dropped it down to beginner in the end, for shame. It still took ages and I still had to reload in the middle. I'd spent half the game with Gabe having an ammo limit of 2, which just wasn't going to work for this battle so he felt really weak all of a sudden (I think the legendary perk I'd been using had a +80 damage modifier). Superb game though, so many style of play possibilities. Will play a sequel for sure.

Definitely, there had better be a sequel. It really was a strange battle with moving them up then back to avoid the rockets as well as deal with the hordes and snipe the boss. I also made sure they had armour and abilities to quickly recharge nades and just kept throwing them!
    Artist also known as Verecocha...
  • 126. Gears Tactics - Xbox One (20hrs?)

A hulking beefcake of a tactics title with an impressive level of finesse to its core.  I'm not an expert on the genre and can't often explain why I latch on to certain games and not others, but (as I'm pretty sure I always say when I finish one in here) deep-but-not-too-deep seems to be my sweet spot.  Favourites include Shining Force 2, Mario Rabbids, Skulls of the Shogun, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars and the grand daddy of them all, Fire Emblem Awakening.  X-Com 2 should be one of my dream desert island games, alongside Trials, but I bounced off it after half a dozen hours unfortunately.  The game was excellent but I've got a low threshold for glitches, performance issues and load times in a genre I absolutely have to find annoying to enjoy anyway (that '84% hit chance and you fucking missed!' feeling is essential to the appeal).  It veered into too annoying territory though, and got binned sadly, thanks to the issues nearer launch on PS4, but I've been considering the Switch version as handheld play might be the key.  Anyway, I digress, as the Ledbetter used to say in every other review.  It turns out the whole Gears thing is a perfect fit for a grid tactics game.  I just typed out a load of guff about my time with the series but deleted it as it was dull - the Tl,dr is that I used to love it but grew indifferent to its shtick ages ago.  [Cole voice] But I'm back, baby!

Compared to similar games one of the most noticeable things from the start is how solid everything is.  Not just the sausage fingered bipedal oil tankers you'll be heaving around the map, but the engine that powers the skirmishes - it's very impressive.  Load times are long on a One S, but that's a small price to pay for a) such nifty performance and b) what's basically a cross-gen game, given the timing of its console release.  In terms of tactics overwatch felt key, but enjoyably so.  Characters have differing attributes and skill trees that allow you to push certain skills that suit your play style.  It's all impressively deep yet not quite overwhelming, and there are a huge amount of valid ways to play.  I spent over 15 hours thinking scouts were the worst, but then I realised how useful they are with the correct skills (*cough* quick grenade cooldowns). Constantly opening weapon cases and assigning new mods between missions is a bit rote - again I found myself craving a Speedball 2 style 'auto-assign' option - but it's bearable.  Other missteps include a first boss difficulty spike and a final boss difficulty wall thicker than Sid Redburn's neck.  It was discussed further up the page, but damn.  For a game that encourages you to play your own way and fashion your own personal A-team of Super Army Soldiers it felt like an odd choice to deny you the option to select your party for the final stage, instead forcing you to use a crew the story locks in for you.  I felt naked without a heavy and it threw me right off.  The campaign is quite samey, despite a handful of different mission types, but that's not really a problem when going through the same motions is so moreish.  In fact, the constant loop is pretty much the appeal, but I'd expect more variety in a sequel.  

These amount to minor gripes though, it's an excellent game and easily one of Microsoft's strongest exclusives for years.  Highly recommended.  Annoyingly I'm still wondering if I would've preferred it with Jack in tow. [8]

4ET5rIuApbQia9HqNU_upa97fgTRd1t3Pt1bDoMoLhghcw7jCkB6sNAmP6oOEgmEJar1FMXWTz2xPwM8zDJsHhBCOu6IPRy_9q4d1f2lBXc3qq75_1tx5bincjw2cTsTaEP3zrdx
  • Love me some gears, will definitely check that out when I get myself NG'd up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!