Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Doom was fun and smooth but heavily bordered and probably worse than the SNES one.

I'm not having that! 32X DOOM had the worst sound of all the ports, borders, and not many levels, but its movement was a lot less eye-wongling than the SNES version, and it looked a bit nicer.

Bird Show Racing Deluxe, indeed, but look to the Saturn or Windows 95 for Virtua Fighter.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Master System version is great, no idea what the difference is though.
    The Mega CD version was basically a point and click adventure with FMV backgrounds as I recall. Admittedly, I haven't played it in a while.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Mega-CD

Ecco the Dolphin
    Ground Zero: Texas
    Road Avenger
    Sol-Feace
    Thunderhawk
  • Robocop Vs Terminator was great on the Megadrive, less so on the SNES. It still plays well, looks good today, it gets really hard late on though a Moot will testify.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • AJ wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned SNES Shadowrun?

Oh, shit, yeah. Remembered that as I went to bed last night ('cause I was playing Megaman X and saw it in the ROM list) but forgot.

Is Harvest Moon worth mentioning? I've never played it despite having it on my phone and being pretty sure it's one of the few SNES games that'll be workable on touchscreen. In fact, looking at my phone now, has Cybernator been mentioned?

Friends of mineral town on the gba is the definitive harvest moon - no need to play any of the others.
  • Snatcher, Final Fight, Eternal Champions Challenge From The Dark Side, Sonic Cd and that Batman game where you do the great looking Batmobile driving sections are all the decent MegaCD games I've played.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Friends of mineral town on the gba is the definitive harvest moon - no need to play any of the others.

Except that I have a Bluetooth SNES controller and would need to order the GBA cart without even knowing if I enjoy the game type. I'll keep it in mind if I get on with the SNES one though, thanks.
  • AJ wrote:
    Friends of mineral town on the gba is the definitive harvest moon - no need to play any of the others.

Except that I have a Bluetooth SNES controller and would need to order the GBA cart without even knowing if I enjoy the game type. I'll keep it in mind if I get on with the SNES one though, thanks.

Ah, gotcha.

SNES and GBA ones are broadly similar except for the social depth aspect, which the GBA version gets perfect. Try the SNES one and see what you think.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Snatcher, Final Fight, Eternal Champions Challenge From The Dark Side, Sonic Cd and that Batman game where you do the great looking Batmobile driving sections are all the decent MegaCD games I've played.
    Batman Returns.

As I say, the Core Mega CD games all deserve a look.

There are a fair few (arguably) definitive versions of 16 bit titles on Mega CD as well: Earthworm Jim, Flashback, both the MD Ecco games, NBA Jam (aside from the arcade, obvs), Pitfall the Mayan adventure. There was the Another World sequel on it as well, packaged with the first game.
  • Ah, gotcha.

SNES and GBA ones are broadly similar except for the social depth aspect, which the GBA version gets perfect. Try the SNES one and see what you think.

I hope I like it, the Micro I got from Chump doesn't get nearly enough use and just holding it makes me smile.
  • The Master System version is great, no idea what the difference is though.

It really is, had no idea until I played through it a couple of years ago. 

Then there's the Lost World one on Megadrive, which deserves a place more far than the MD platformers imo.

MD Alien 3 starts really well (I can still recall the music and satisfying gun sounds) but gets crushingly boring by halfway.
  • Escape wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Doom was fun and smooth but heavily bordered and probably worse than the SNES one.
    I'm not having that! 32X DOOM had the worst sound of all the ports, borders, and not many levels, but its movement was a lot less eye-wongling than the SNES version, and it looked a bit nicer. Bird Show Racing Deluxe, indeed, but look to the Saturn or Windows 95 for Virtua Fighter.

But the enemies were front-facing at all times, meaning no exciting 'they're hitting each other!' moments, and the BFG was only available via a cheat code (and not at all if you'd broken the mode button on your 6-button pad in a SFII strop a couple of years earlier).  Was definitely better than the Saturn version though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    MD Alien 3 starts really well (I can still recall the music and satisfying gun sounds) but gets crushingly boring by halfway.
    Thing is it was developed by Probe, who basically just churned out an almost identical platform shooter for a string of film licenses (Judge Dredd, Stargate, Batman Forever).

So while it was a solid enough formula to begin with, it wasn't very inspired and got repetitive quickly.
  • Amiga 500 must count in this era, surely? The 16bit era overlapped quite a lot in terms of ability with the Amiga.

From that then I nominate
    Speedball 2 (obv)
    Worms
    Cabal
    Defender of the Crown
    Rodland
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I did a big post, Vela. A big post. You hurt my feelings.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I'm amazed the Amiga hadn't been mentioned earlier.

(Just teasing Jim ;) )
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • All the feels. All of them. Destroyed.
  • Hey guys, what about the amiga?
  • You were a nice guy, Mike. What happened to you?
  • How do you know I'm no longer a guy?
  • I have spies everywhere.
  • Have only skim read this thread so might have missed it but is Herzog Zwei on the MD list?  If not put Herzog Zwei on the MD list.

Cocko's done the right thing by having Revenge of Shinobi in the OP.
  • III is better than Revenge but both deserve a place in the list.

edit: as does Shadow Dancer
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND??
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SNES

Super Mario World
    Mario All Stars
    Link to the Past
    Super Metroid
    Super Mario kart
    Yoshi's Island
    F Zero 
    Pilotwings
    Super Punch Out
    Super Castlevania IV
    Plok
    Pop n Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures
    R-Type III
    Legend of Mystical Ninja
    Buster Busts Loose
    Cybernator aka Assault Suits Valken
    Kirby's Dream Course
    Tetris Battle Gaiden
    Super Bomberman
    Smash Tennis
    Super Aleste
    Super Adventure Island
    Street fighter II Turbo
    Super Probotector/Contra III
    Super Smash TV
    Tetris Attack / Panel De Pon
    Heberke's Popoitto
    On The Ball / Cameltry
    Pop n Twinbee (2D shmup not to be confused with Rainbow Bell Adventures)
    Super Tetris + Bombliss
    Out to Lunch

Megadrive-wise.

Sonic 1 & 2
    Micro Machines '96
    Super Fantasy Zone
    Quackshot
    Hellfire
    Desert Strike
    Sub-Terrania
    Flicky
    Dragon's Fury
    Super Monaco GP
    New Zealand Story
    Twin Hawk
    Space Invaders '91
    Thunder Force IV
    Toki
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • III is better than Revenge but both deserve a place in the list. edit: as does Shadow Dancer

You've angered a corpulent and vengeful being. Run, young man. Run.
  • SuperSF2 snes+md
    Kirby's dreamland 3 snes
    Twinkle Tale md
    Alien Soldier md
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Jaco wrote:
    III is better than Revenge but both deserve a place in the list. edit: as does Shadow Dancer

You've angered a corpulent and vengeful being. Run, young man. Run.

I stand by my statement. Revenge had the bigger impact but I think III is a better game, just like Micro Machines 96 is superior to the more commonly loved 2.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's a close-run thing, but III runs out of steam slightly and some of the areas are far less appealing.  You have more abilities in III and it lasts a bit longer, but Revenge edges it for me.  Sometimes more simplistic is the sweet spot.  Plus the music. 

Revenge > GG > III > Shinobi arcade.  All fantastic games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!