16 Bit
  • AJ wrote:
    Yet you included SFII?

I preferred the 6 button Mega Drive pad.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, that was an after market pad, though. Not that pad is particularly relevant in this discussion as it's really too build ROM sets.
  • Edit @ Moot I read that, contrdicting yourself on the same page. It's definitely a bit on the stilted side
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • What? No Amiga? I know it's not technically a console, but it's one of the greatest systems of the 16-bit era.

Turrican/Turrican 2
    Apidya
    Superfrog
    The Chaos Engine
    Speedball 2
    Stunt Car Racer
    Pinball Dreams
    First Samurai
    Heimdall
    Secret of Monkey Island 1/2
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Lemmings
    Gods
    Cannon Fodder
    Sensible World of Soccer
    Shadow of the Beast
    Leander
    Frontier
    Supercars 2
    IK+
    Alien Breed
    Battle Squadron
    SWIV
    Another World
    Flashback
    Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker
    Moonstone
    Syndicate
    Worms
    Project-X
    Zeewolf
    Putty
    The Settlers
    Lotus Turbo Challenge
    Ruff 'n' Tumble
    Lionheart
    It Came From The Desert

...I could go on for a while...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • AJ wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    Yet you included SFII?

I preferred the 6 button Mega Drive pad.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, that was an after market pad, though. Not that pad is particularly relevant in this discussion as it's really too build ROM sets.

I got the pad around the same time I got MD SF2, having previously played the SNES version.

I preferred the MD's d-pad and button layout, although the SNES game looked and sounded better.

Both were incredible ports at the time though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • My Sega list:

Aladdin
    Alien Soldier
    Castle of Illusion
    Dragon's Fury
    Dr R's Mean Bean Machine
    Dynamite Headdy
    Gunstar Heroes
    Ghouls N Ghosts
    Jungle Strike
    Micro Machines 2/96
    New Zealand Story
    Quackshot
    Road Rash 2
    Ranger X
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Sonic
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition
    Streets of Rage 2
    Strider
    Sub Terrania
    Thunderforce III
    Thunderforce IV
    Toejam & Earl
    Ecco The Dolphin CD
    Snatcher
    Shining Force
    Phantasy Star IV.

I've left off things like Cannon Fodder and Flashback because they're okay for the Amiga list and Krusty's Super Funhouse, Zombies and Turtles Tournament Fighters as they're better on SNES, and the EA sports games as I imagine they've not aged well at all.
    NHL 93 is still glorious.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wasn't NHL 94 considered the best (genuine q)?

Mark re flashback on SNES, I believe the Mega CD version is even better.
  • 94 took out the punch-ups, I think.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Here's some words:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best-sports-games-on-the-sega-genesis

I would probably be up for whacking most of those on TBH.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    94 took out the punch-ups, I think.

I believe it did, but I also believe it was better overall.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There's also a mega cd version of 94 so excellent quality organ tunes ahoy.
  • I have a meagre Mega-CD collection, perhaps that needs rectifying.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    94 took out the punch-ups, I think.
    I believe it did, but I also believe it was better overall.

It's an interesting one for the definitive list.  For a quick 2p blast I'd take a slightly inferior game with the dodgy Urban Champion bits.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Wasn't NHL 94 considered the best (genuine q)? Mark re flashback on SNES, I believe the Mega CD version is even better.
    Yeah I think it gets more kudos. They're pretty similar. NHLPA '93 was the one I owned at the time and so it was the one I played a couple of years ago for nostalgia. It's still perfect. I haven't bought a NHL game for a few years but you could play even the new games with the same three button layout. 

I think they lost the fights when they got the official licence. They could often be quite annoying against the CPU if you were chasing a game and just wanted to get on and score but I'd still rather have them than not.
  • The original EA Hockey was good enough for me, to the point I never felt the need to try any of the sequels.
  • Wasn't NHL 93 slower than EA Hockey?
  • I've just looked into this and it seems the key differences between 93 and 94 are
    - 94 has no fighting
    - you could break the glass around the rink with a powerful enough shot on 94 but not 93
    (which is weird because I remember smashing the glass but then I remember not really understanding why my NHL game was called NHLPA so maybe I had both at some point)
    - 94 had one-timers - you could shoot instantly when you received the puck (which again I remember being able to do) instead of dicking about and taking a touch and powering up the shot. Scoring is easier on 94 because of this. 

Either game is fine.
  • NFL 94 is considered the best. I believe it's still played in tournaments at nhl94.com and it was even included as a bonus in one of the recent NHL games. It's also another 16Bit game that has its definitive version on the Mega CD.

As far as SFII and it's many versions go neither the SNES or MD are where it's at.

SF The Collection on PlayStation and Saturn had perfect ports of all versions of SFII.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    - 94 had one-timers - you could shoot instantly when you received the puck (which again I remember being able to do) instead of dicking about and taking a touch and powering up the shot. Scoring is easier on 94 because of this. 

Either game is fine.

One-timers were great. Definitely wouldn't want to lose those.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    NHLPA 93 was the best game as it had the teams, and blood

NHL 94 lost the fighting, was less glitchy and you could break glass. But that one time shot was overpowered. It was like everyt player being Janco Tianno on FIFA

I'll put both in, especially as 95 was less good, but for me 93 is king
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm a 94 man but... cool!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What about the other sports games from that link? I think we should have a Madden and FIFA in there, the link above suggests '97 and '95 respectively.

Some games I never played but which are potentially worth consideration are Mutant League Hockey and Mutant League Football; NBA Live 95 and PGA Tour III.

A couple of games that I have played that should be added are Pete Sampras Tennis and Speedball II (I think that the latter maybe the definitive version?).
  • Madden 93
    OG Fifa
    ISS Deluxe
    Sensible Soccer
    Striker
    Super Soccer
    Super Tennis
    Smash Tennis

Those I have fond memories of.

Sports games are a tough call though. I mean why pick OG Fifa over this year's? It's a superior sequel right?

NHL94 is still widely considered the pinnacle of the sport, they don't even bother making them anymore. It's a bit of an exception to the rule.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    OG Fifa was great as well. Prior to that Mega Drive had European Club Soccer, which wasn't bad but nothing super special, apart from the big-ish sprites

edit: Why OG FIFA, because it changed the game immediately. Madden and EA Hockey were both pretty niche. The isometric pitch, the five different shades of skintone you had for players along with the teams licenses even if no players yet. They were obviously way ahead of the curve by including Qatar (admittedly as whipping boys) and look how far they've come, world cup hosts. I knew when I played it that this was special, I didn't forsee annual incremental updates but I was about 12/13 and not yet fully aware of the EA business model
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Jaco wrote:
    What? No Amiga? I know it's not technically a console, but it's one of the greatest systems of the 16-bit era. Turrican/Turrican 2 Apidya Superfrog The Chaos Engine Speedball 2 Stunt Car Racer Pinball Dreams First Samurai Heimdall Secret of Monkey Island 1/2 Beneath a Steel Sky Lemmings Gods Cannon Fodder Sensible World of Soccer Shadow of the Beast Leander Frontier Supercars 2 IK+ Alien Breed Battle Squadron SWIV Another World Flashback Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker Moonstone Syndicate Worms Project-X Zeewolf Putty The Settlers Lotus Turbo Challenge Ruff 'n' Tumble Lionheart It Came From The Desert ...I could go on for a while...

Think you've covered most of my amiga picks. I'd also throw in North & South, Sim City, Rainbow Islands and Indy - fate of Atlantis (toss up if its the better between last crusade)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean why pick OG Fifa over this year's? It's a superior sequel right?

It's certainly a sequel, but I can't be arsed with all of the latest updates. The 16 bit ones I could see myself having some fun with.
  • European Club Soccer was only good if you typed threeshreddedwheat into the password section which meant that you smack the ball from your own half into the goal. Turned it into an early version of Adidas Power Soccer!

FIFA on the MD was excellent, you could run away from the ref for ages if you were going to get a card and Brian Plank, he was my man.
  • Sensible Soccer, Mega CD.

Speedball 2 is definately the definitive version. 1 is great, 2 is godlike.

Also, Gods.
  • MEGALOMANIA

Edit For Yoss: I played it on the Megadrive but it was on the SNES apparently too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    On what?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Adidas Power Soccer!

There's a memory, wow

Whilst EA were doing 3DO exclusives, everyone jumped in to make sports games that were fun again didn't they? There was a Vinnie Jones one as well IIRC. Adidas was fun it had that arcadey feel to it. What was the NEO GEO (I guess) football game that was in most newsagents and chippies

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!