Forza Horizon
  • google wrote:
    If that's true, then I apologies. I felt like he was having a pop at me for enjoying the skate/surf vibe.

No worries. I was explaining the three reasons I didn't like it. I wasn't having a pop at anyone.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Played the demo this arfy.

Oh dear it is SHITE.

Really vapid. The whole thing is indeed geared towards teenagers and that annoying woman who tries to make everything you do sound like its really "rad" and "cool" - I want to kill her after torturing her in a cellar for a few day.

Forza was so good as far as I was concerned because of its wonderful unfussiness: a clean interface that encouraged you simply to race other cars, win, tune and do it all again. Sure maybe the open world aspect is something that could work welll as an addition, but I switched completely off when I was suddenly racing checkpoints against an aeroplane. This is really Dirt - which I never got on with - not good old Forza: the accessible and cool version of Gran Turismo.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE a good arcade racer - NFSHP is wonderful and exciting....this, however is jjust somehow annoying........even the handling feels dumbed down somehow....all the assists off and with the 360 wheel that works so well for Forza 4 - that "off-road" demo race is an easy joke.

Done - NFS Most Wanted for me this Winter.
    rest less
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    So, am I the only one who likes this?

I can look past all the yo yo yo bling cobblers, I'm all about ghosts and time trialling, and it seems to do that well, although it looks like it might be possible to blast around corners smashing into barriers to get a fast time, which would be a disaster and that's the only thing stopping me getting it day one.
    Thought the handling was OK.

Scarily, I've had two dreams about it.

Torturing people is wrong, especially virtual people.
  • Birdorf wrote:

Well you and most of the reviewers!

Seems a big disconnect on this here thread and the average review. I think it comes down to whether you can see past all the neon and teen-speak. The grumpy old sods in this place can't, but more "normal" people can.
  • I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it. I do think this was always on the back foot against NFS for Friday night shenanigans and the demo needed to blow people out of the water to change opinions.

Demo's for racers rarely do a great sales job as well.
  • I_R wrote:
    Demo's for racers rarely do a great sales job as well.

Agreed.

Especially racers of this ilk where they're going for an 'open world' vibe.
  • Seems in line with their other Forza download packs. Porsche was 1600.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I guess I didn't pay attention to those seeing as I was stupid enough to pay for the season pass....!
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Birdorf wrote:
    Well you and most of the reviewers! Seems a big disconnect on this here thread and the average review. I think it comes down to whether you can see past all the neon and teen-speak. The grumpy old sods in this place can't, but more "normal" people can.

Fuck you the fuck off!!!! GRUMPY!!!????? I am NOT GRUMPY!! FUCKING SHITE I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY I AM GRUMPY!!!!!
    rest less
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4,000 point season pass? Jesus Christ. I have no real bug with DLC but good lord
  • Agreed, Reg.

I have no reference point for the people that are willing to spend over $100 on a single game and it's DLC.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is where, of course I now start freaking out thinking about how much I spent on Fallout 3 DLC and worrying that it makes me a hypocrite, but I do see some difference in qualifying it in my head - from something that enhances the experience of the core game (Forza) to something that offers a new story etc like Fallout.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This is where, of course I now start freaking out thinking about how much I spent on Fallout 3 DLC and worrying that it makes me a hypocrite, but I do see some difference in qualifying it in my head - from something that enhances the experience of the core game (Forza) to something that offers a new story etc like Fallout.

If you put it that way...

I just dont care enough about cars. I have no real need to want to try and drive/test/play with all manner of different vehicles. 

But I know there are people that love cars and love experimenting with their favourite super-cars they see online.
  • Most people here can't really complain, we've indicated that we'll wait until it's £25 or not buy it at all.

There does seem to be something unhealthy about the way DLC has developed though, certain big titles already scoop up a huge percentage of the pre-Christmas sales, successfully charging a chunk of their buyers £70 instead of £40 is only going to squeeze the also rans even more.
  • I don't mind DLC as a whole, but the way publishers have treated the consumers with their practices has been incredibly dubious. Premium services, on disc DLC, cut content, etc. shady and shitty. Haven't bought one season pass or premium sub this gen, and most DLC I haven't suffered in picking up when it's discounted. It'll carry on the way it has though into the next gen.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly wrote:

How much did you spend on Theat Rhythm DLC again? :)
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fuck. That.

I knew I had secret shame. But for me that was like buying an iTunes track. Again, in my own shitty internal logic I've justified it.

As I'm sure those people spending 4000 points on cars will.
  • My justification for buying the Forza 4 Season Pass was "hey I'm gonna get a shit-ton of cars to use in all those nights of multiplayer we're gonna have".

Oh wait..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I bought the Season Pass day one. Downloaded one pack, never played any of the cars in it...and haven't downloaded another pack. In fact, I haven't even played the game since then.

Bit of a waste really, should probably have another look.
  • After getting fucked off with the Gears 3 multiplayer and not really playing it, I decided to not buy season passes when in the giddy early days of a new game.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Rule Number 1 of Gaming.

NEVER BUY A SEASON PASS...EVER.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I don't understand why you would pay in advance for dlc when you don't even know what it will be.
  • Skondo wrote:
    I don't understand why you would pay in advance for dlc when you don't even know what it will be.

Because you do know what it's going to be in this instance.

More cars.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...and because it could be a game that you know you will buy DLC for so you may as well save some pennies in the long run.
  • google wrote:
    Skondo wrote:
    I don't understand why you would pay in advance for dlc when you don't even know what it will be.

Because you do know what it's going to be in this instance.

More cars.
    Moto70 wrote:
    ...and because it could be a game that you know you will buy DLC for so you may as well save some pennies in the long run.

Okay, fair enough. Just not something I would do.

• Really shouldn't be encouraging the practice of season passes. A promise of perceived value against the quality of future content is still a gamble. Be honest, have publishers got your wallet or their bottom line in mind when pushing these subs? Saving on five or six packs with a pass is only worth it if they individually justify their worth.

I just worry that this is pushing us too far towards an F2P future where the barebones is free and content comes in packs, but spending is less quantifiable than £40 for a disc. Pubs would love us to dribble £60+ in increments over several months rather than the release day hit because we are less likely to monitor this spending.

I would love to be proved wrong but I've not seen anything with BF3's sub that screams essential, and I still expect the tail end to be season pass filler.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    google wrote:
    Skondo wrote:
    Because you do know what it's going to be in this instance. More cars.
    Moto70 wrote:
    Okay, fair enough. Just not something I would do.
    I'm on your side Skondo, I was just playing Devil's advocate.

Borderlands 2 has me in dilemma because the DLC has been released so soon after release which to me means that is a pure money making exercise because it could have been released as part of the game as it was obviously made side-by-side with the 'main' game. The dilemma is that Borderlands 2 is such a big game to start with so you're not losing anything by not having it but on the flipside it is a massive map with new weapons, new enemies and new vehicles so you are actually getting something for your money. Then you look at Mass Effect 3 which has been constantly drip feeding us with new maps, new weapons and new characters all for the grand sum of nothing.

So here you have it, 2 really good quality DLC's one that appears to be nothing more than a money spinner and one that feels like it is there as a gift to those that are enjoying a game.

The only truth is that PDLC is here to stay and I think is going to increase.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!