Self-Imposed Gaming Rules
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I always enjoy this too. Dante talking nonsense obvs. How does inverting not make sense??
    Because I want up to be up.
    Because they're the same word? I'm unconvinced that's the most compelling of arguments.
    Also, he holds his controller vertically, so that up is up. Except, he has to hold the left side horizontally so that up is forward. And he moves the right trigger to his shoulder so that throwing grenades makes sense, too. Dante can't wait for VR and glove controls because he's having difficulty with this whole joypad situation.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Also, he holds his controller vertically, so that up is up. Except, he has to hold the left side horizontally so that up is forward

NegCon to the rescue

playstation_negcon_controller_large.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I always try to go for the human weapons over Covenant/Forerunner in Halo games, as I reckon the Spartans would be more familiar with them. (When playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2, I go for Covenant weapons whenever possible.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I always try to go for the human weapons over Covenant/Forerunner in Halo games, as I reckon the Spartans would be more familiar with them. (When playing as the Arbiter in Halo 2, I go for Covenant weapons whenever possible.)

Surely you make an exception for the Needler?
  • I also press forward with my right thumb to look up. To me this is more natural than pulling back with my thumb to look up.

X axis right and left should always be right and left too, except in third person games where I'm not sure. Hmm.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Depends on which game I'm playing and who I'm facing. The H2 needler was iirc shite, but the H3 one was the best way of killing Brutes, especially one in each hand.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Thinking about this, I have another rule which can be very frustrating. I must win any race I play. Even if I only need third, I must win and get very angry if I do not win it.

But...I will then moan if the racing game is too easy...
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • mangman wrote:
    X axis right and left should always be right and left too, except in third person games where I'm not sure. Hmm.

I went through a spell (PS2/Xbox era) of switching the X-axis in third person games, as I associated it with moving the camera.
  • My two main rules:

1) play Spelunky once, and only once, per day.

2) If I die in a Zelda game I will never select continue. Usually turn it off and go back later (or never). Many years ago I was convinced the game would keep track of deaths if I clicked continue, it's just kind of stuck.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    My two main rules: 1) play Spelunky once, and only once, per day. 2) If I die in a Zelda game I will never select continue. Usually turn it off and go back later (or never). Many years ago I was convinced the game would keep track of deaths if I clicked continue, it's just kind of stuck.

I like the quirkiness of both of these.  Next to no deaths in modern Zeldas though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    My two main rules: 1) play Spelunky once, and only once, per day. 2) If I die in a Zelda game I will never select continue. Usually turn it off and go back later (or never). Many years ago I was convinced the game would keep track of deaths if I clicked continue, it's just kind of stuck.

I think Link to the Past tracked deaths?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    mangman wrote:
    I always see the option to change things as 'now then, we've set the game up as we think it plays best following thousands of hours of testing and tweaking. If you, having never seen the game or played it, want to disagree then here is your chance'. I don't want that responsibility.
    So much this, so many gamers think they know better than the developers. There's a reason they make you play that way, you might not know that reason, and the reason might just be laziness, but it could be a part of the narrative a way to immerse you that you are unaware of

Fuck that noise, they didn't adjust the settings on my TV. Just visible always leads to just not being able to see shit.

(I also suspect it has to do with my dislike of horror. etc. Much prefer a bit more light, no matter the game....)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was thinking more the controls, got to be honest I turn the brightness up well beyond recommended, else I die far to quick
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's fine to give you the option to adjust brightness etc after you've played for a bit. But to make adjustments before you've seen the game running is a no for me.
  • Experience tells me that every time I've seen one of those, setting it according to their suggestion is far too dark, and you can't see half the textures they've so lovingly created. Maybe things will get better with HDR, but as it stands, yes, each individual does know what's better for them.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Glad its not just me that finds "just visible" far too dark.
  • davyK wrote:
    The Daddy wrote:

I think Link to the Past tracked deaths?

Looked it up. Link's awakening was my first proper Zelda:
    If Link makes it to the end of the game without receiving a Game Over, Marin will fly across the screen with wings, symbolizing that her lifelong wish to become a Seagull was granted.

Sauce:
    http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Over
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Good old Nintendo.

I can remember seeing a number displayed against my save file when I completed Link to the Past - guessing it was the number of continues.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Glad its not just me that finds "just visible" far too dark.

I always thought they were trolling.
  • Always rotate the square Tetrimino for some fucking reason.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    krs wrote:
    Always rotate the square Tetrimino for some fucking reason.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Talking about rotating shapes in Tetris, I always only use one button - I mess up more if I try to rotate things both ways, so I just rotate three times in one direction to get a single rotation in the other.

I could probably improve my gameplay if I could be bothered to learn how to rotate properly.
  • Andy wrote:
    Experience tells me that every time I've seen one of those, setting it according to their suggestion is far too dark, and you can't see half the textures they've so lovingly created. Maybe things will get better with HDR, but as it stands, yes, each individual does know what's better for them.

preach again.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!