Self-Imposed Gaming Rules
  • davyK wrote:
    Don't EVER continue.

That reminds me of being a kid and playing arcade machines at the back of our local VHS video rental shop. 10pence a go, continues were strictly not allowed (mainly cause there was a queue of people waiting to play). Super Pang, Midnight Resistance, TMNT, The Simpsons (4 player), Streetfighter2, BubbleBobble, Final Fight etc, great times. Sigh...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I tried to limit my game purchasing by going Vita (only because I had a couple of games anyway from B his time at Guerrilla and I want P4G) / Nintendo and Steam sales. It doesn't really work.

I tried to accept deaths in Fire Emblem and just see that as part of the story. That didn't work either.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've introduced a new rule whereby I must never buy a game in a genre I know I will never play to completion. I've saved a pile.

I loath digital only but have relented on that. DLC too. Trials HD is worth it though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina wrote:
    I tried to limit my game purchasing by going Vita (only because I had a couple of games anyway from B his time at Guerrilla and I want P4G) / Nintendo and Steam sales. It doesn't really work. I tried to accept deaths in Fire Emblem and just see that as part of the story. That didn't work either.

5. Treat rules as guidelines.
  • RPGs see me playing as myself, I don't tend to get into playing as anyone else when given the option, so evil runs, FemShep etc. have all passed me by. The character creation tools are wasted on me, goody two shoes average bloke almost every time.
    I've started doing the opposite. Always create a female character whenever possible. My first ME2 character was supposed to look like me and really didn't, and I've been makin' wimmin ever since.

Saints Row IV was particularly fun playing as a large black lady with the Southern USA accent. Fem Shep was an improved experience. In Souls and BB it's still quite rare to find other ladies when you meet other players. It often just changes the experience slightly from what was intended, and seems fresher somehow.
    Nina wrote:
    I tried to accept deaths in Fire Emblem and just see that as part of the story. That didn't work either.
    My FE style was always reset when someone dies. Enjoyed the game much more trying to each map perfectly (getting all treasure, stealing items, rescues etc.), rather than just get through.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I tend to choose female characters, especially for online stuff. Otherwise the online worlds are populated by mainly male avatars which is just dull.
  • I'm not sure what my FE style is because I've done something different each game.  With the first GBA one my method was to plough through until too many deaths made it unpossible, then huffily sell it on Ebay.  Iirc I did Awakenings on Normal/Classic, Birthright on Hard/Casual, Conquest on Normal/Casual and Revelations on Hard/Classic (with huffy reloads).
  • Yeah if there is character creation then play as "Monique Fierce Shoniqua" she don't take no Shit from no man. She is a fun character I made up, her motivations aren't good or bad, they are sassy.
    Leads to some interesting dialogue decisions.
  • Oh yeah. Always pick the most garish pink armour colours in online shooters. Aim to make character look as shit as possible.
  • JonB wrote:
    RPGs see me playing as myself, I don't tend to get into playing as anyone else when given the option, so evil runs, FemShep etc. have all passed me by. The character creation tools are wasted on me, goody two shoes average bloke almost every time.
    I've started doing the opposite. Always create a female character whenever possible. My first ME2 character was supposed to look like me and really didn't, and I've been makin' wimmin ever since. Saints Row IV was particularly fun playing as a large black lady with the Southern USA accent. Fem Shep was an improved experience. In Souls and BB it's still quite rare to find other ladies when you meet other players. It often just changes the experience slightly from what was intended, and seems fresher somehow.
    My FE style was always reset when someone dies. Enjoyed the game much more trying to each map perfectly (getting all treasure, stealing items, rescues etc.), rather than just get through.

For me, Fire Emblem, Mass Effect... in all these games the original run is The Real Story™. If characters get killed, they get killed. I'm not going to replay the mission or go back to an earlier save because to do so would break The Real Story™ and this would break the magic.

The only exception was characters getting gibbed in Baldur's Gate. Fuck that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tank build in any game where its possible. Apart from Souls where its strength, no shield.

Buy football manager every year and neglect life for two months.

Buy a lot and never even fucking boot em up.
  • Have you booted Trackmania yet?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes I have done three of the tracks!
  • My main two rules have become pretty much defunct now.

1. Before playing a new game, read through the manual and take in all the character information etc.

2. When playing a new game for the first time, I will not skip any of the opening videos.

I am, however, starting to implement a new rule where I do not purchase single player only games at full price on day of release. I am holding onto trade ins and waiting for prices to drop from now on, regardless of how much I want the game. I am also fed up of seeing games I got at full price going really cheap now.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Yes I have done three of the tracks!

In 1995 you'd only have mirror mode left to play.  Swings and roundabouts.
  • I only game in my branded "gaming sack" which is a hammock like device which hangs from my ceiling and is full of a kind of amniotic liquid that provides all the nutrients and fluids that I need during a big gaming sesh, and can be refilled with GamerGrounds, which come in 3 flavours, Mountain Dew, Chocolate, and Chia Berry.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    My main two rules have become pretty much defunct now.

1. Before playing a new game, read through the manual and take in all the character information etc.

This is to be done all excited on the bus back from town, inhaling the new book aroma that the manual gives off
    2. When playing a new game for the first time, I will not skip any of the opening videos.

We truly are kindred spirit, though I wish these were still a thing as replaying the first 15-20 minutes if Skyrim really grates after a while

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • My current gaming rules seem to be:
    1) find a survival crafting type game, preferably early access
    2) play it for 50 hours plus
    3) save scum, always save scum. No one dies on my watch.
  • I only run melee builds in Fallout games. Sadly F4 put paid to this because of how fucking shit they made everything after they decided they were to start gearing the game towards a more actiony version of VATS and not the FAR SUPERIOR time stopping version of VATS. Also I really wish the groin and eye targetting areas returned to the games. Kicking people in the groin in the post apocalypse was amazing scenes.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Collect everything from downed enemies / broken pots, even if my inventory is full and I don't need them
  • If I'm playing a side scroller, I always go left at the start of a level. Just in case. I think it's only ever paid off in Limbo, maybe Rayman too. But you never know
  • Clever.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I do that too. Ever since Plok.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I try not to buy anything because everything is shit.

Stuff that I do buy is shit.

Everything I love is shit.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You're like the worst version of the skittles man.
  • Oh yeah. Always pick the most garish pink armour colours in online shooters. Aim to make character look as shit as possible.

Yes! This was the best thing in Halo, which the MCC fucked right up.

Destiny as well as having a Master Chief Green shader also a lurid pink shader, which I am now wearing.
  • mangman wrote:
    If I'm playing a side scroller, I always go left at the start of a level. Just in case. I think it's only ever paid off in Limbo, maybe Rayman too. But you never know

Loco Roco had stuff on the left, too.

Yes! This was the best thing in Halo, which the MCC fucked right up.

Destiny as well as having a Master Chief Green shader also a lurid pink shader, which I am now wearing.

Glad someone feels the same.
    The most embarrassing thing in Halo was Hyabussa.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    : 1. Stay away from headset/mic in online multiplayer games

is mine.

2. Stay away from mmo's. I loved the KOTOR games but refuse to go near Old Republic (fear of getting addicted).

Don't need a rule, have a 3 year old. But point taken. Would play Destiny again with more time.

7. When a new Souls game is released, take a week off work to play it. Cause I will not do anything that week other than live and breath that game. Souls games are like crack cocaine.
    Would love to do this with a Souls, Bloodborne and new Red Dead. just don't think it's gonna happen.

9. Never pay for DLC content, if its included for free great. But i flat out refuse to pay for content that was originally meant for the initial release but chopped so the company can make more money off us gamers.

Player 1's spidey sense is tingling.
    12. I always have to finish Halo campaign on Legendary

unless it's fucking shite. What's up H4/H5 campaign?

Some others, I try and avoid phone games, and if I do dabble, they tend to be of the 2048/3s variety. and not always.

haven't read the rest of the thread, but has anyone mentioned stuff like Halo 2 Zombies, which began as an honour system custom game and became a bona fide gametype by halo 3.

That's pretty cool.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
    Yes! This was the best thing in Halo, which the MCC fucked right up. Destiny as well as having a Master Chief Green shader also a lurid pink shader, which I am now wearing.

Erotic Clockwork FTW!
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!