Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    I'm more impressed with whoever made their fortune by selling AIDS champagne for $4000 a bottle to idiots who think it's flash.  Reminds me of the episode of 30 Rock where Jack's disgraceful champagne was shifted by associating it with LL Cool J despite it tasting like poison.
    Well it's the same as Beats Headphones isn't it? You look everywhere, every sod has them and they take a look at my tiny sennheiser buds and tell me I've not got a clue and I just laugh.
    People actually do that?  Maybe it's my demeanour, but I've never had someone try that on.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • You're too intimidating to get snash, Skerret.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I'm more impressed with whoever made their fortune by selling AIDS champagne for $4000 a bottle to idiots who think it's flash.  Reminds me of the episode of 30 Rock where Jack's disgraceful champagne was shifted by associating it with LL Cool J despite it tasting like poison.
    Well it's the same as Beats Headphones isn't it? You look everywhere, every sod has them and they take a look at my tiny sennheiser buds and tell me I've not got a clue and I just laugh.
    People actually do that?  Maybe it's my demeanour, but I've never had someone try that on.

There is a particularly gauche (gonna use that word AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE NOW AHAHAH) character in my lit class who has. He has lime green Beatz with red cables (red and green should never be seen etc). Now this is the guy that is in the following situation: plays for Derby Uni football and dodgeball teams. Has a model for a girlfriend. Professes to be totally Christian. Deplorable attitude towards women, openly planning to cheat on his girlfriend when he goes to Uni. Parents buy his: clothes, car, petrol, fund his course, give him money for food + drink etc, proceeded to tell me that I'd "not seen the Hobbit" because i'd not watched it in HFR. When discussing Gothic literature with lecturer, questioned why the Asylum from American Horror story wasn't listed as an asylum on the powerpoin. Said that in Dracula they should have just "ripped out Lucy's heart like in Vampire Diaries." Then, THEN decides to tell me my Sennys are shit and that "beats are sponsored by Dre so of course they're good" I just laughed and walked off.

In the end it's ok though because he got a bare minimum pass in his last assignment and I got a distinction so fuck him.
  • g.man wrote:
    Are we all communists now? oh my g.man

I'm certainly not.  I think it's fine for people to have huge chunks of money, I just get a giggle out of them still having no class and no ability to pick a nice drink.

Tbh, if I had stacks of money, I'd much rather cover the bar bill for a Regstock, rather than buy stupidly expensive champagne.  I mean, there's something stupid about drinking champagne on a night out anyway.  I bet they celebrate at home with Diet Coke.
  • Tempy wrote:
    There is a particularly gauche (gonna use that word AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE NOW AHAHAH) character in my lit class who has. He has lime green Beatz with red cables (red and green should never be seen etc). Now this is the guy that is in the following situation: plays for Derby Uni football and dodgeball teams. Has a model for a girlfriend. Professes to be totally Christian. Deplorable attitude towards women, openly planning to cheat on his girlfriend when he goes to Uni. Parents buy his: clothes, car, petrol, fund his course, give him money for food + drink etc, proceeded to tell me that I'd "not seen the Hobbit" because i'd not watched it in HFR. When discussing Gothic literature with lecturer, questioned why the Asylum from American Horror story wasn't listed as an asylum on the powerpoin. Said that in Dracula they should have just "ripped out Lucy's heart like in Vampire Diaries." Then, THEN decides to tell me my Sennys are shit and that "beats are sponsored by Dre so of course they're good" I just laughed and walked off. In the end it's ok though because he got a bare minimum pass in his last assignment and I got a distinction so fuck him.

He's not really gauche, he's just a tool.  But your bit in bold's the most important bit, I think.
  • He's a gauche tool. I use him to paint.

I do sit in our classes and wonder sometimes why people have picked lit. I mean I am not a prolific reader, i'm terrible at it (because of this damn forum) but there are people who just haven't read a book.

It's gouache, I know, I know.
  • Yea, i'm going down that other path of nobody needs a million pounds. Moreover, nobody can possibly earn it either, not least in the space of a few years.

I'll genuinely look forward to your opinions on this, because I'm sure people can earn that.  Look at Steve Jobs or Bill Gates; not exactly just money-grabbing banker types trading on misfortunes, but they did things that built entire companies, sustaining thousands of jobs, driving research and advancement on, and really cracked into what people want. With the amount he managed to grow Microsoft, isn't Bill Gates justified in saying he earned $1Bn or whatever, considering that's a fraction of what the company he made is worth, a fraction of its turnover, and a fraction of the salaries it pays to it employees?
  • Tempy wrote:
    He's a gauche tool. I use him to paint. I do sit in our classes and wonder sometimes why people have picked lit. I mean I am not a prolific reader, i'm terrible at it (because of this damn forum) but there are people who just haven't read a book. It's gouache, I know, I know.

The only bit I disagree with you about is his parents helping with stuff.  I fully intend to be in the situation where when Nim goes to uni I can afford to buy her a car, help with her rent, bills, petrol, whatever.  I'll still encourage her to work unless she ends up studying something like medicine, but I don't think people are made into dicks just because their parents have the means to provide for them a bit when in higher education.  I think this guy's a dick, but he'd be just as much of a dick if he was running to the hardship fund every couple of months.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Without competition, or appropriate reward for moving toward the upper end if the bell curve the human race would still be hunting and gathering. There would be no slack in the system to do the socially responsible acts of providing for those who truly can't help themselves.
    Twonk. Tosh. Twiddle. One might even say bullshit, if one were uncharitable. If the only reason we did anything was due to profit, then we'd be in a sorry state indeed. You should read something along the lines of 'Mutual Aid' by Kropotkin. Working together, for the benefit of others without regard to reward for oneself, has been just as big a driving force in human history as the desire to accumulate wealth. Not saying that we shouldn't reward those that work harder, but what possible work can someone be doing to warrant spending tens of thousands of pounds, more than most people in the world will see in their lifetimes, on a few rounds of drink? There's being rewarded for a job well done, and there's taking the fucking smeg. There's a fair pay, well earned, and there's living like a goddamn king at the expense of others (i.e., those having their benefits slashed to pay for the mistakes of the ultra rich bankers we had to bail out, who then used that bail out money to give themselves enormous bonuses. For nearly bankrupting us all.) tl;dr - Profit is not, and should not be, the only driving factor behind human advancement. Secondly, there's a difference between getting what you deserve and bleeding others dry to line your own pockets. In the mean time, here's a picture of a happy cat. [img]

This. Without the picture of the cat because murdering bastards.

Furthermore, I feel absolutely no concern for the future of art if all art were to be free. Artists generally don't create for profit, at least not initially, and those that do reach a point where their primary motivation is profit, I feel we can probably do without.

I'm not saying that all art should be free, although nor am I saying it shouldn't, it's an issue on which my mind is not made up, but simply that with or without the profit motive there would still be plenty of good art to go around.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Yea, i'm going down that other path of nobody needs a million pounds. Moreover, nobody can possibly earn it either, not least in the space of a few years.
    I'll genuinely look forward to your opinions on this, because I'm sure people can earn that.  Look at Steve Jobs or Bill Gates; not exactly just money-grabbing banker types trading on misfortunes, but they did things that built entire companies, sustaining thousands of jobs, driving research and advancement on, and really cracked into what people want. With the amount he managed to grow Microsoft, isn't Bill Gates justified in saying he earned $1Bn or whatever, considering that's a fraction of what the company he made is worth, a fraction of its turnover, and a fraction of the salaries it pays to it employees?

The simple fact is nobody needs that amount of money and, in the vast majority of cases, it could be put to far better uses, a fact which Gates, to his credit, grasps, hence him planning to give it all away before he dies. A pretty damn noble thing to do, but something which would be far less necessary were people unable to amass such vast fortunes in the first place.

I posted that link earlier to that Oxfam report saying that the richest 100 people in the world earned enough last year to end extreme poverty in the world four times over. How can you argue that one individual can be worth as much as Gates in the face of that?
  • Elmlea wrote:
    He's a gauche tool. I use him to paint. I do sit in our classes and wonder sometimes why people have picked lit. I mean I am not a prolific reader, i'm terrible at it (because of this damn forum) but there are people who just haven't read a book. It's gouache, I know, I know.
    The only bit I disagree with you about is his parents helping with stuff.  I fully intend to be in the situation where when Nim goes to uni I can afford to buy her a car, help with her rent, bills, petrol, whatever.  I'll still encourage her to work unless she ends up studying something like medicine, but I don't think people are made into dicks just because their parents have the means to provide for them a bit when in higher education.  I think this guy's a dick, but he'd be just as much of a dick if he was running to the hardship fund every couple of months.

I wrote a big post here then deleted it by accident, argh!

I basically agree, but the shorthand of my disagreement is "parents spoil him" but what I really mean is:

He has no concept of money, or the worth of it to other people. Girl on our course has had car troubles for ages, she's on part time (like me) thus cannot afford a permanent solution. His only input was to say "buy a new car, you can get one for £3k etc" and she explained she did not have that money and he said "get your parents to buy it, they bought mine last year, brand new XYZ reg in september." So it isn't that I have a problem with them helping him, it's that they've robbed him of any concept of money. The only work he has done is work experience at school, people on this course that aren't as lucky as me have had to take 2 jobs to cope, AND have kids too! The staggering disparity there and his inability to appreciate it is what fucks me off more than the money, but I shorten it to 'parental handouts' because I am lazy and gross.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Here's what you do Temps.  You take the young lad aside, then explain very carefully, perhaps over lunch, where his worldview is flawed.  Explain how he is perceived and why.  Tell him to stop reading the fucking Vampire Diaries if he is studying literature.  Set him straight.  Fight ignorance with education.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or just punch him in the fuck.
  • I can't, I've tried. He doesn't give a shit really. If only he'd READ Vampire Diaries though, he watched it instead.

This all feels faintly 'no subject' but I think Code pissed on that so I'm not going in.

Anyway, maybe i'll tell him what I think of him before I leave, maybe i'll just seethe for the rest of the course (haha that's totally what I'll do.) 

Anywho, I got an email from De Montfort Uni today offering me a place. I don't know if it's conditional or unconditional as they haven't updated UCAS but hey're 80th in the country in general, but 30-40th for English/Media, which isn't bad out of 110. Now the rest of them need to get back to me so I can continue to preen.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He doesn't give a shit about a punch in the fuck? Hmm. Punch harder?
  • he is a sprotsman, i am not.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    A punch in the nuts then. Even a sports pro bo no can't take one of them.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Find his empathy, it'll be in there.  You're smarter than him Tempy, use your advantage.  Support your case with documents.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes, documents. Get a filing cabinet full of documents and hit him with that.
  • He came from Greece, he had a thirst for knowledge.He studied lit at St Martins college.
    That's where Tempy caught his eye. 
    He told me hs dad was loaded...
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    In the nuts
  • pantyfire wrote:
    He came from Greece, he had a thirst for knowledge.He studied lit at St Martins college.
    That's where Tempy caught his eye. 
    He told me hs dad was loaded...

Ahaha! Big belly laugh for that!

• Blue Swirl wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Without competition, or appropriate reward for moving toward the upper end if the bell curve the human race would still be hunting and gathering. There would be no slack in the system to do the socially responsible acts of providing for those who truly can't help themselves.

Twonk. Tosh. Twiddle. One might even say bullshit, if one were uncharitable. If the only reason we did anything was due to profit, then we'd be in a sorry state indeed. You should read something along the lines of 'Mutual Aid' by Kropotkin. Working together, for the benefit of others without regard to reward for oneself, has been just as big a driving force in human history as the desire to accumulate wealth.

Not saying that we shouldn't reward those that work harder, but what possible work can someone be doing to warrant spending tens of thousands of pounds, more than most people in the world will see in their lifetimes, on a few rounds of drink? There's being rewarded for a job well done, and there's taking the fucking smeg. There's a fair pay, well earned, and there's living like a goddamn king at the expense of others (i.e., those having their benefits slashed to pay for the mistakes of the ultra rich bankers we had to bail out, who then used that bail out money to give themselves enormous bonuses. For nearly bankrupting us all.)

tl;dr - Profit is not, and should not be, the only driving factor behind human advancement. Secondly, there's a difference between getting what you deserve and bleeding others dry to line your own pockets.

In the mean time, here's a picture of a happy cat.

happycat.jpg

I didn't say profit, I said appropriate reward. By that I mean a benefit derived from differentiating oneself from the mean through hard work etc. Learn to fucking read.
  • Hard work is its own reward.
  • Those sweatshop boys fucking love their graft.
  • People should stop worrying about how rich other people are. Focus on yourself. Strive to be better. Educate yourself. Identify what you are good at and what you enjoy. Align your working life with that and all will come good. Learn to spend less than you earn. Try harder at all things relative to your peers. Understand that you may have to sacrifice leisure time to achieve your goals, although if your goals are associated with something you love doing, it can hardly be a sacrifice.

I was once told that the key to success is to find something that you would be happy doing for the rest of your life. Not an easy task, you can start by categorically removing the tasks you hate.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It's become clear that posting here is not going to make my fortune, so I'll have to think a bit harder then.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I didn't say profit, I said appropriate reward. By that I mean a benefit derived from differentiating oneself from the mean through hard work etc. Learn to fucking read.
    What you said is still shite though. Counter factual history is always dodgy ground, so not good to make absolute statements about it.
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    People should stop worrying about how rich other people are. Focus on yourself. Strive to be better. Educate yourself. Identify what you are good at and what you enjoy. Align your working life with that and all will come good. Learn to spend less than you earn. Try harder at all things relative to your peers. Understand that you may have to sacrifice leisure time to achieve your goals, although if your goals are associated with something you love doing, it can hardly be a sacrifice. I was once told that the key to success is to find something that you would be happy doing for the rest of your life. Not an easy task, you can start by categorically removing the tasks you hate.
    And hope that what you like happens to be something that can earn you a load of money.
  • Also, nobody can make a billion without exploiting folks, and Bill Gates certainly never did.

His 'philanthropy' is a way of avoiding the democratic process by deciding for himself what social projects are deserving, as opposed to a system where the super rich pay a very high level of tax, and (in principle) the electorate gets to decide how it's used.
  • JonB wrote:
    Also, nobody can make a billion without exploiting folks, and Bill Gates certainly never did. His 'philanthropy' is a way of avoiding the democratic process by deciding for himself what social projects are deserving, as opposed to a system where the super rich pay a very high level of tax, and (in principle) the electorate gets to decide how it's used.
    Umm.... he has argued for higher tax rates though, hasn't he?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!