Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think the issue, Matteh, is the need one may have to flaunt one's money in such a way which, in most any country you could name, would be considered poor taste.

Put it this way; an uncle of mine is worth quite a lot compared to the average person, but he would not spend that kind of money on that kind of thing because it's of no real value to him beyond drinking it.  There's perfectly good gear at normal prices.  There's simply no need to spend such sums on such a thing unless you want to be noticed or have a point to prove or have more money than sense.  Even if I acquired vast sums of money in the next little while (and who's to say it won't happen) I for example would not buy a car from a luxury marque in this country because they are up to four times the price and hence silly to buy.

It's gauche.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    The issue is that we live in a massively unequal society which has been getting progressively less equal over the past thirty years or so. The average wage hasn't gone up very much, whilst the wages for those at the top have gone through the roof. We're living in the middle of a wealth grab by those at the top which is being perpetrated against every single one of us with the assistance of compliant politicians and shareholders which is concentrating money and power in the hands of a tiny number of individuals who are using it to prop up and set up their offspring to continue to lead lives which bear absolutely no relation to what most of us are dealing with. Meanwhile, we just sit around and accept all of this, even to the point of having our public services ripped out from under us all because some bankers got too greedy and our taxes were used to underwrite their losses. That's the fucking issue, this is just a manifestation of it.
    You have no idea of the circumstances of that picture. To get mad at it is silly, to me.
    I don't think it's about the picture per se; there may be a good reason why these purchases were made (though I doubt it).  It's what such a thing represents, that being gross excess.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    LOOK AT MATTEH WITH HIS DIAMOND ENCRUSTED MONEY-SUCKING KIDS
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    woohoo four in a row
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Five!  I think I'm agreeing with Yoss back there, though he channelled the righteous indignation of the working classes while I just faffed about for a paragraph.
  • I know, I just don't care, really. It's a picture of someone spending a lot of money...so? How did the picture come about and get shared?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Skerret wrote:
    Five!  I think I'm agreeing with Yoss back there, though he channelled the righteous indignation of the working classes while I just faffed about for a paragraph.

I'm not disagreeing with Yoss, yes there are many issues in society around money and so on. I'm just saying, it's a pic. Chill Winston.
  • There's a £4k service charge on that bill. For bringing drinks.
  • Skerret wrote:
    I think the issue, Matteh, is the need one may have to flaunt one's money in such a way which, in most any country you could name, would be considered poor taste. Put it this way; an uncle of mine is worth quite a lot compared to the average person, but he would not spend that kind of money on that kind of thing because it's of no real value to him beyond drinking it.  There's perfectly good gear at normal prices.  There's simply no need to spend such sums on such a thing unless you want to be noticed or have a point to prove or have more money than sense.  Even if I acquired vast sums of money in the next little while (and who's to say it won't happen) I for example would not buy a car from a luxury marque in this country because they are up to four times the price and hence silly to buy. It's gauche.

Yeah it's gauche, but people's issue wasn't that showing off they had money, it was that they had the money to spend in the first place.
  • Skerret wrote:

FIVE TOO
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    dammit
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    I think the issue, Matteh, is the need one may have to flaunt one's money in such a way which, in most any country you could name, would be considered poor taste. Put it this way; an uncle of mine is worth quite a lot compared to the average person, but he would not spend that kind of money on that kind of thing because it's of no real value to him beyond drinking it.  There's perfectly good gear at normal prices.  There's simply no need to spend such sums on such a thing unless you want to be noticed or have a point to prove or have more money than sense.  Even if I acquired vast sums of money in the next little while (and who's to say it won't happen) I for example would not buy a car from a luxury marque in this country because they are up to four times the price and hence silly to buy. It's gauche.
    Yeah it's gauche, but people's issue wasn't that showing off they had money, it was that they had the money to spend in the first place.
    Well that I don't agree with, I mean, s'there money innit.  I do reserve the right to critique their spending habits though.  Remember Brooks entertaining the notion of buying a cravat?  I tutted for a week.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    There's a £4k service charge on that bill. For bringing drinks.
    POCKET CHANGE FOR YOU EH RICH MAN OOH LEMME JUST CHECK ME JACKET POCKET OH HERE'S 10K WILL THAT DO
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I bet he's wearing a hat made out of Dodo.

You sicken me big money man with your dollar sign gold chain and your PIMP sneaks
  • @MattyJ
    It's not that they have the money to spend, it's that they had the money to waste - and yeah, from their point of view they might not consider it a waste of money and that's the problem because it ties into what Yoss got into about inequality etc.

No one's was making a really big deal out of it but when you ask what's the issue was, I think it's obvious to most people that it's a ridiculous amount of money to be spending on anything in one go without it being a house deposit/car etc.
  • But like I said, it isn't a ridiculous amount of money to some. If you earn £30k a year and spend £150 on a dinner out, then if you have £30 million spending £1500 is nothing to you. It's all relative man.
  • Skerret wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Well that I don't agree with, I mean, s'there money innit.  I do reserve the right to critique their spending habits though.  Remember Brooks entertaining the notion of buying a cravat?  I tutted for a week.

Fair enough, maybe I read people's reactions wrong.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There's better champers than Cristal, amateurs.
  • Skerret wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    There's a £4k service charge on that bill. For bringing drinks.
    POCKET CHANGE FOR YOU EH RICH MAN OOH LEMME JUST CHECK ME JACKET POCKET OH HERE'S 10K WILL THAT DO

I don't bend down to pick up any dropped money below £1000.
  • Skerret wrote:
    There's better champers than Cristal, amateurs.

This, I agree with.
  • I bet he's wearing a hat made out of Dodo. You sicken me big money man with your dollar sign gold chain and your PIMP sneaks

Wooly Mammoth fur coats. Dinosaur leather trousers.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    If you're going to spend that kind of cash at least do it on something worthwhile. Like how much I spent in Barter Books.

WP_000524.jpg
  • Bible - First Edition.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Signed by author.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Signed by authors.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    But like I said, it isn't a ridiculous amount of money to some. If you earn £30k a year and spend £150 on a dinner out, then if you have £30 million spending £1500 is nothing to you. It's all relative man.

The question should be, why should an individual have £30 million quid to begin with? It can be from one of two methods: inheritance, unearned money that someone may have been lucky enough to have been born into or through earnings, either from investment or work, that necessarily includes collusion in the system which funnels money from those on average wages to those at the top through ridiculous pay packets for CEOs and the like whilst keeping wages for workers down. Either way, it's a ridiculous sum of money for any individual to be sitting on, especially when we live in a society which is less equal now than at any time in our history and in which public services are being gutted by millionaires.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Me uncle made his money in securities and stocks if that helps.

he's a nice bloke really
  • Doublé Posté.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Me uncle made his money in securities and stocks if that helps. he's a nice bloke really

Haha. But those stocks are in companies who keep workers wages down while the CEOs and YOUR GODDAMN UNLCLE get paid the big bugs.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That doesn't sound all that good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!