Say you had to, could you choose one game per console?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message

Xbox One - Forza Horizon 2

What is left to be said about the racer on the underpowered and lower-selling console that still commands full 12-player lobbies most Fridays from a small pool of gamers all coming from the same small corner of the Internet?

There's a reason why we keep going back.

Maybe it's the buttery-smooth handling model, adapted perfectly from Turn 10's simulation model into a perfect blend that's "arcadey but not too arcadey".

Or maybe it's the map, full of tight city circuits, long coastal sprints, or off-road Hill climbing and descending madness.

Or maybe it's that just about nothing comes close to the feeling of nailing a long left turn over the bridge on Costa Sprint in a Lambo as 8 or so fellow Badgers breath down your neck and Hair is trying to put you off and Webbs dulcet tones are in your ear and your drunk and crylaughing and still trying to race and the sun shines so brightly on the course and your just in love with it all.

In fact, just watch this. 5 minutes of video from a FNF race, where it's all encapsulated.

This is why I love you.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Now that was a bloody race. Awesome Gav.

There was a fiver on it, and I'm not joking.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I haven't played in a while, but was that the one where we were all going to (allegedly) give a fiver each to gav?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My name is up there, yep that's the one. Such a great race. Such a great game. Bone's killer app.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    A chronological life in formats, with the requisite one game each.

Game Gear - Sonic the Hedgehog
    PlayStation - Metal Gear Solid
    Nintendo 64 - Ocarina of Time
    Dreamcast - Shenmue
    GameCube - Metroid Prime
    Xbox - Halo 2
    PlayStation 2 - Final Fantasy XII
    Xbox 360 - Halo 3
    DS - Metal Slug 7
    Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles
    3DS - Mario Kart 7
    Wii U - Mario Kart 8
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • No 16Bit? Or have you just chose to list what you had when they were contemporary?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    No 16Bit? Or have you just chose to list what you had when they were contemporary?

I only got 16 bit systems much later on, I basically skipped that whole era.

Thinking about it, I did leave out GBA and GBC from my list. Not sure what I'd pick for GBC, but the following is fairly obvious I think:

GameBoy Advance - Advance Wars.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Tetris?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles

I did enjoy XC, but felt it was at its best relatively early, at Bionis' Leg. I felt it kinda went downhill from there. The last 1/4 of the game felt especially shite. I did manage to muster enough enthusiasm to kill most of the rare monsters though.

Part of me really wanted to max out the relationships between all characters so we'd do more Chain Link attacks, but in the end I just couldn't be bothered with the grind - I just wanted to finish the damn thing and move onto something else.

Actually, Makna Forest and the Nopons kicked ass. "Yes, no!"
  • GameBoy - Tetris (Boxxle)
    Amiga 500 - Midnight Resistance (Chase HQ/Speedball 2)
    Atari ST - Bomb Jack (Rainbow Islands)
    NES - Super Off Road (Turtles)
    Arcade - Double Dragon (SF2 Turbo)
    SNES - Mario All Stars + SMW cart (Shadowrun)
    GBA - Mario Kart Super Circuit (FE: Sacred Stones)
    N64 - Ocarina of Time (ISS 2000)
    PS1 - circuit Breakers (Daytona)
    Cube - Animal Crossing (Windwaker)
    XB - Outrun 
    PS2 - SF Anniversary Edition (Alpha Anthology)
    DS - Advance Wars DS (Civ Rev)
    WII - Mario Galaxy 2 (Paper Mario)
    XBOX 360 - Halo 3 (Defence Grid)
    3DS - Fire Emblem (MK7)
    WiiU - Mario Maker (Splatoon)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • so many snes games of high quality its insane
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Completely forgot about the Wii and WiiU. Wii Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars My favourite game in the Marvel style Vs series. Had a really good fighting engine, and would have been far more popular if it wasn't a Wii exclusive. .

I got this with the lovely themed arcade stick. Played it online and got hammered 10-0.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • PC - Skyrim Gameboy: Tetris DS : Advanced Wars NES - super Mario bros SNES - super metroid N64 - Zelda ocarina of time Cube - Metroid Prime Xbox 360 - Halo 3 Wii - Mario galaxy Ps3 - Ni no Kuni

Oooh adding Amiga = Chips Challenge
  • I'll add Amiga too then.  The Secret of Monkey Island, was the first version I played.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ah damn, forgot about Tetsunoko Vs Capcom. Best beat 'em up ever, IMHO. Not sure whether I'd swap it out for Xenoblade but it'd be close.
  • [justify]Really tough list to compile, and it’ll probably alter over time. Especially the SNES ‘era’ as it was a ‘golden age’ of gaming for me. Never had a NES but I’d definitely go for Mario 3. Also played a lot of Contra with cousins. A mate’s 3DO, I always remember having fun on Need for Speed and getting scared shitless on Alone in the Dark![/justify]

[justify] [/justify]

[justify]So, for my list I’ve gone for the games that stayed with me and defined me as a gamer and developed my tastes, over the games I’d played to death. Going for an eclectic mix with the usual generic choices thrown in.[/justify]

Amstrad CPC464 - Elite, runner up - Head Over Heels

Game Boy - Zelda: Link’s Awakening, runner up - Super Mario Land

SNES - Secret of Evermore, runner up - Super Metroid

N64 - Perfect Dark, runner up - Super Mario 64

PC - Championship Manager, runner up - Freelancer

Playstation - Resident Evil 2, runner up - Final Fantasy VII

GameCube - Luigi’s Mansion, runner up - Zelda: The Wind Waker

Playstation 2 - GTA: Vice City, runner up - GTA: San Andreas

Wii - Resident Evil 4, runner up - Super Mario Galaxy

Playstation 3 - Demon’s Souls, runner up – Red Dead Redemption

Xbox 360 - Fallout: New Vegas, runner up - Skyrim

WiiU - ZombieU, runner up - New Super Mario Bros. U

Playstation 4 - Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, runner up - Bloodborne
  • Good list, and welcome!!

Though really you should have an Xbox One....
  • I would've preferred it if you'd justified your choices.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I would've preferred it if you'd justified your choices.

Just not enough justification. [/justify]
  • Apologies. I typed the list into Word as need time to think it over. Spent more time making it look nice! OCD!!
  • Hassan wrote:
    Apologies. I typed the list into Word as need time to think it over. Spent more time making it look nice! OCD!!

It's undestandae... N008.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Always use source mode. The WYSIWYG editor can get to fuck.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Good list, and welcome!! Though really you should have an Xbox One....
    I can confirm they are excellent for dust gathering purposes.

Freelancer, my fucking man. Is that original CM? 97/98 was my jam. England, Scotland and Italy on the go. Trying to work your way up from the bottom. China were almost guaranteed to offer you a job if you applied, and no matter how bad you did for them (most of the players were fake ones), Ireland would take you.

It was easier to sign players for your club from your nation, and giving caps to players playing in the basement division was always brilliant. Once I fielded an entire squad for Ireland in the World Cup of players from my club, and qualified for the last 16.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Always use source mode. The WYSIWYG editor can get to fuck.

Notepad forever.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Good list, and welcome!! Though really you should have an Xbox One....
    I can confirm they are excellent for dust gathering purposes. Freelancer, my fucking man. Is that original CM? 97/98 was my jam. England, Scotland and Italy on the go. Trying to work your way up from the bottom. China were almost guaranteed to offer you a job if you applied, and no matter how bad you did for them (most of the players were fake ones), Ireland would take you. It was easier to sign players for your club from your nation, and giving caps to players playing in the basement division was always brilliant. Once I fielded an entire squad for Ireland in the World Cup of players from my club, and qualified for the last 16.

Thats the one! I made a team of Muhammad's. They were awesome in a crappy way.
  • I had the 96/97 one. Started the season with the name Terry Venables to take control of England in Euro 96.

That game was addictive as fuck!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!