Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Fuck VR, this/next year's 3D.  Watch it slide into obscurity.  Until all this shite can be implanted into your noggin or eyeball, it's always going to be a niche distraction for frustrated Jacques Cousteau wannabes.

This all day long.

• Luddites. This has the opportunity to make a properly next generation happen rather than an incremental update on hardware.

If we don't change then nothing will change ;-p

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Like videogames haven't taken up so much of all your time just by being on a tv screen.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Billy wrote:
    Just never get married, hasn't failed me yet.
    How could you do this to me I've been waiting for years!

If you're rich and we have no pre-nup I could be persuaded tbh.
  • Billy wrote:
    Just never get married, hasn't failed me yet.
    How could you do this to me I've been waiting for years!

If you're rich and we have no pre-nup I could be persuaded tbh.

Do it!

I'll organise the Stag do.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    He's not rich, but he is pre-op.
  • VR definitely suits some games more than others. Although it's clunky right now, current problems of resolution and fov will obviously get sorted over the next few years - when Elite Dangerous goes 4k per eye I'll be doing little else.

By far the biggest problem to overcome is locomotion. Budget Cuts currently does it best because the teleport gun just feels like another tool in your spy arsenal but generally VR movement is rubbish. Saying that, people are ingenious and here's some stuff.

https://youtu.be/p0YxzgQG2-E

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was talking about the practicalities of VR last night with a mate and that's the issue for me. I don't want to have to setup shit around my room to get it to work. I also don't want to be walking around my room worrying about wires getting tangling or twisted because I've turned left twice instead of left then right etc. So as amazing I am sure the Vive is it's just not practically going to fit into my lifestyle.
  • Kow wrote:
    Vr will go the same mainstream as videogames in general. How mainstream that is, is open to debate I suppose.
    Yeah it's this. VR can easily (imo) be the default method of playing most videogames in a (hardware) generation. It's mostly just losers sitting on their own looking at a screen anyway, often with headphones on. 'Mainstream' to me is whether your gran is going to stick on a headset to watch Corrie VR and the tech has got no chance of getting to that stage anytime soon.
  • VR will only ever be a niche within a niche. It's not going to be the default method of play. There are too many barriers.
  • Considering the mainstream adoption of Kinect and Move it's a sure thing VR is going mainstream too.

Hmm.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • VR will only ever be a niche within a niche. It's not going to be the default method of play. There are too many barriers.
    By the end of the year, 40 million people that own PS4s will be able to play VR games for an additional outlay of £300 (I think). By the end of the following year, their nearest competitor will also have a VR capable console out. It's not that fanciful to think the next gen of consoles after that might be built around the whole experience. MS tried to do exactly that with Kinect and the Bone. It was just a pity that it was shite.

• Will vr be the display method of choice for gamers? Or will it be 4k?
    Could go either way really but mah moneys is on 4k. Vr is just a subset, not sure how big it can be. If there were a killer app, now that would shake up things.

Still, that dedicated vr room....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • VR is the equivalent of arcade games and it's currently at a pre-Space Invaders stage. But when that moment arrives and it takes off, TVs are going to look like a poor cousin. You'll still be able to play shoddy ports of the VR games on a TV, just like I played Outrun and Space Harrier on my Master System
  • I'm prepared to be wrong, but I don't see how games (as they are now) will convert to VR. How will games that require full analogue movement deal with the disconnect between body and brain?

I see a lot of genres that can be improved by VR - strategy games in particular- but the likes of Deus Ex, Mirrors Edge and Mass Effect...gonna make people nauseous as fuck, regardless of refresh rates and resolutions.
  • Portal VR boggles the mind.
  • VR is a lateral step that I'm very happy exists. Smart developers (primarily indies I imagine) will find ways to create unique experiences that will only be possible in VR.

Simply transposing regular games into VR appears to be the focus of a lot of the PR hype, and to be honest I don't see it adding much beyond the initial wow factor. Allowing for perhaps Elite/flight sims, where looking around can be vaguely beneficial, plus the scale of space demands it more than walking around a wasteland.

Controllers heavily dictate what games are and can be, and I believe that the medium will always benefit from experiments with new input methods. Vive appears to be the most logical VR control method so far, and I'm very excited to see what insane stuff people will develop for it. That said, I don't see as a progression. It's just a new, very exciting avenue. Sceptical folks should try and play a Vive kit - it certainly recalibrated my thoughts and expectations. Some people think VR will improve every first person experience. I disagree, but then again I've never really been into the super hobbyist end of any hobby, which VR currently is.
  • Tempy wrote:
    VR is a lateral step that I'm very happy exists. Smart developers (primarily indies I imagine) will find ways to create unique experiences that will only be possible in VR.

Simply transposing regular games into VR appears to be the focus of a lot of the PR hype, and to be honest I don't see it adding much beyond the initial wow factor. Allowing for perhaps Elite/flight sims, where looking around can be vaguely beneficial, plus the scale of space demands it more than walking around a wasteland.

Controllers heavily dictate what games are and can be, and I believe that the medium will always benefit from experiments with new input methods. Vive appears to be the most logical VR control method so far, and I'm very excited to see what insane stuff people will develop for it, but I don't see as a progression. It's just a new, very exciting avenue.

Agree with all of this.

As long as games require control complexity, abstract control methods will always offer a better variety of input to motion etc.

But there can be some cool, unique stuff made and some established genres can be improved.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can see a time where a lot of the game types we play now disappear in favor of vr, in the same way that older game types from older platforms are not really made anymore now. Sitting in a room in front of a monitor is not any less weird than sitting in a room with a headset on.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Comparing vr to 3d tv is a poor comparison - tv is essentially a social activity with the people around you, gaming for most people isn't.
  • Tempy wrote:
    VR is a lateral step that I'm very happy exists. Smart developers (primarily indies I imagine) will find ways to create unique experiences that will only be possible in VR.

Controllers heavily dictate what games are and can be, and I believe that the medium will always benefit from experiments with new input methods. Vive appears to be the most logical VR control method so far, and I'm very excited to see what insane stuff people will develop for it, but I don't see as a progression. It's just a new, very exciting avenue.

Agree with all of this.

As long as games require control complexity, abstract control methods will always offer a better variety of input to motion etc.

But there can be some cool, unique stuff made and some established genres can be improved.
    It presents a different set of challenges but full body motion actually does away with a lot of the need for buttons. You don't have a duck button, you just duck. You don't need a pop out and look button, stuff like holstering can just be done by lowering the controller.

I know exactly how shit old motion control is. A crap novelty, limiting on how you can play and the games suffering as a consequence. It also gets old very quickly. It just doesn't work with a 2D display but it's the best way to control your own movements in VR. Pressing a stick forward to run when it's you doing the running seems rubbish in the virtual world. Although running full pelt with a headset on isn't exactly feasible either.
  • Having a Vive is a joy and it has reversed all my expectations about what VR is. 

I was expecting the same type of games but with far more immersion. While this is partly true for cockpit games the poor resolution of things at a distance makes it a bit disappointing. As for FPS forget it - it's far better on a monitor.

Room scale, or at the very least cupboard scale is the current reason to own a VR headset. Every game feels new and every game feels unique. While 2D gaming can broadly be classed into different genres it just isn't that simple with VR, and that is a wonderful thing. It's more or less pointless trying to judge if you're going to enjoy an game in VR without actually trying it for yourself and that's what makes it so exciting. A small team or bedroom coder can blow your socks off and I couldn't be more excited, or tired. VR can be exhausting. 

So, rather than wait a year for a AAA game you merely have a daily look at the Vive reddit and a new game has popped on Early Access and everyone is gushing about it. Looking at the Steam videos won't help in a purchasing decision. Like VR itself, you just have to try it.
  • Good to know there are a few of us here already dipping their toes into vr. Am curious as to how this will develop. It's definitely a wildcard.
  • Tempy wrote:
    VR is a lateral step that I'm very happy exists. Smart developers (primarily indies I imagine) will find ways to create unique experiences that will only be possible in VR. Simply transposing regular games into VR appears to be the focus of a lot of the PR hype, and to be honest I don't see it adding much beyond the initial wow factor. Allowing for perhaps Elite/flight sims, where looking around can be vaguely beneficial, plus the scale of space demands it more than walking around a wasteland. Controllers heavily dictate what games are and can be, and I believe that the medium will always benefit from experiments with new input methods. Vive appears to be the most logical VR control method so far, and I'm very excited to see what insane stuff people will develop for it. That said, I don't see as a progression. It's just a new, very exciting avenue. Sceptical folks should try and play a Vive kit - it certainly recalibrated my thoughts and expectations. Some people think VR will improve every first person experience. I disagree, but then again I've never really been into the super hobbyist end of any hobby, which VR currently is.

Fuck this. Just make WipEout HD in VR, sit on a fitball and chocks away!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also, and this is rarely mentioned, VR gets better the more your brain uses it. The same game feels more immersive with time and I can only presume my brain is getting better at processing the information. Even the resolution seems to improve, but it's still shit mind.
  • @vela - racing games are good too
  • Tempy wrote:
    @vela - racing games are good too

When they get VR driving games with motorised cabinets and motion detecting gloves for the gear shifting and a fan blowing in your face to simulate the airflow in a convertible (preferably an F50) then it will be time for a new Outrun.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • But... is it Outrun.?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!