The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • Also in my head cannon for IRL Dante totally still works at Game
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'm trapped under a stack of Funko Pops, but fortunately the American drinks and snacks also fell on me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    GAME is an utterly depressing experience now. I actually prefer CEX to it which is going some. I actually only go into GAME to see if any retro game themed tat has been reduced to impulse level prices.
    Same, at least with CeX you can have a browse at whatever super-rare retro things they’re selling for £300 even though it’s rare I actually buy anything.

Heh.

Saw Marvel v Capcom 2 for Dreamcast there. £75. Though that's probably not far off the mark.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Probably not.  Sold mine for around £60 a couple of years ago.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    GAME is an utterly depressing experience now. I actually prefer CEX to it which is going some. I actually only go into GAME to see if any retro game themed tat has been reduced to impulse level prices.
    Same, at least with CeX you can have a browse at whatever super-rare retro things they’re selling for £300 even though it’s rare I actually buy anything.

Heh.

Saw Marvel v Capcom 2 for Dreamcast there. £75. Though that's probably not far off the mark.

Their money value is nowhere near outlets like eBay.

For context -

Fire Emblem Fates, discontinued edition, for 3DS.

Sold £295
    Cash £171
    Credit £206

Ebay - sold copied non existence but selling starting at £295. I would suspect for not great copies.
  • Game to stop taking trade ins, will cease selling pre-owned games once stock is gone.
  • Wow. That’s a big shock.

I guess now the digital / game pass is not much call
    For used stuff??
    The Forum Herald™
  • Profit eroded from several angles I imagine yeah.

I'm gonna put my youtuber hat on and say...

Woooooah this bombshell leak from UK store Game means Switch 2 is all digital!!!!!!
    *Gurning face pic*
  • Just more cost cutting measures by Mr Ashley, I assume.  Making the business more cost efficient.
  • I always expected them to make more profit on the 2nd hand ganes?
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • Only if people buy them and buy them close to when someone has traded them in.
  • They take up space too. Space that could be allocated to more rubbish tat that seems to sell.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One less reason to cross the threshold.
  • They'll change the name to 'Game?' soon enough.
  • They can't have long left surely
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not a bad outlet for board games though.
  • That's The Bodyshop fucked.

As always I feel for the staff, not many in retail earn enough to build a safety net so these things really sting.

On the other side of things. Absolutely fuck the corporate tier. Worst company I have ever worked for. A culture of fear resulted in decision paralysis and me working to 4am tweaking shades of green on a brand new store design relaunch that looked identical to the current design.
    Awful, awful people, mainly because of Loreal. 
    I'm not surprised they are gone I'm just surprised it has taken 10 years since I worked with them for it to happen.

That project was a large part of me quitting that job and going freelance. Another guy left to work for Starbucks and two graphic designers handed in their notice a few months later when the project moved to their department.

edit: I just remembered. One of the 4am finishes their head of retail development took the taxi that was ordered for me so she didnt have to share with my boss who lived near her. Leaving me stranded on the opposite side of London to my flat. Got a bollocking for being late the next day.
  • I hope karma has rewarded her with a leathery wrinkly smelly face full of clogged pores and blackheads.
  • She already had that.
    Very much a disappointment compared to who Loreal normally sent over, Louise Redknapp was in once.
  • All still psychopaths mind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fact is companies don't normally last that long. 20-25 years is doing well. Think that's the average (one of the few things I remember from doing an MBA). 

We don't seem to be able to keep them going. There are exceptions of course but there's usually mergers and acquisitions along the way in any long lived company.

Keeping the original culture at executive/board level is probably the biggest challenge.
  • davyK wrote:
    Fact is companies don't normally last that long. 20-25 years is doing well. Think that's the average (one of the few things I remember from doing an MBA).  We don't seem to be able to keep them going. There are exceptions of course but there's usually mergers and acquisitions along the way in any long lived company. Keeping the original culture at executive/board level is probably the biggest challenge.

That checks out. I think 20–25 years is the average before a company’s original founders are looking to retire and cash out. And that’s when the challenge of keeping the culture/vision going becomes a real issue, too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!