You gotta speed it up, and then you gotta slow it down...
  • Arkham Asylum. I must have started that four or five times and then given up. Just wasn't working for me. I was talking about it with a  friend and he suggested I persevere and agreed to give it one more go. So glad I did as I really enjoyed it once it got going.

Mass Effect. Bought this knowing very little about it. Basically read the box blurb and thought it was worth a go, but I hadn't really played any form of rpg before. Must have done the prologue beacon mission ten times and I didn't get it. The combat was sluggish, the combat wheel was irritating, the cover mechanic was poor and I had to stop playing to allocate points and upgrade things, however, I was intrigued by the story. Finally decided to complete the main story, which I did and I thought it was okay, but didn't like the final battle as it was incredibly hard - I was not levelled up as I hadn't done any side missions. I later came back to it of my own volition and played it properly and did pretty much everything. Absolutely loved it. Probably my favourite game of last gen.
  • One day, I might find out why people like Bioshock.
  • That's easy, just ask someone who likes it and they'll tell you why they like it.

That one took me a few goes too. Ultimately I did enjoy it, though more for the setting, story and atmosphere than the standard fps mechanics.
  • COZ IT'S AWESOME
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I wasn't keen on what I played of World of Goo after downloading it ('what the fuck is this shit?' levels of not keen), and gave up after 15 minutes or so.  A few months later I had my left arm in a sling containing a broken finger, which had been professionally re-smashed after I allowed the first break to heal like a wonky set-square.  I was written off work, looking for Wii games that could be played without a left hand, thought I'd give WoG another go, and it turns out I loved it.  Almost made my GotG list in the end. 

So yes, I spent two days in a dimly lit room playing World of Goo with my right hand, but I remember it with far more fondness than most of my sickies.  Was six weeks FULL PAY with a doctor's note too, incredible stuff, it was like a full summer holiday.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    One day, I might find out why people like Bioshock.

At the time it was the atmosphere, the feeling of being in a unique place. The combat was fun, if repetitive (says me who plays Destiny) and the story was intriguing. Shame they never bettered it with the sequels
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    BS2 is the second best Shock game after SS2. This was put into the statutes of taste years ago mate.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    ...  So yes, I spent two days in a dimly lit room playing World of Goo with my right hand, ....
    Fnar fnar!
  • Whilst out on a toonstock some time ago TheDJR told me to give The Walking Dead another go as it was well with persisting with. I still haven't given it another shot. Sorry Dan, I really can't be arsed.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • When I first played Far Cry 2 I really didn't get on with it, I hated the too-fast checkpoint enemy respawning and malaria got on my tits.

Got it again later and found there was a lot to like about it, particularly the AI with veers between brilliance and chaos, hiding in long grass while a few mercs meander around shouting banter between themselves before I fire a few flares and surround them in flames was great.

Still haven't completed it though..
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    BS2 is the second best Shock game after SS2. This was put into the statutes of taste years ago mate.

No no no no and no
  • I have little patience for games that don't hook. My time is more precious than giving something another chance when there is a lot available.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FC2 - that's another one I played twice and disliked equally both times.

Oh, and Journey.

Turns out my instincts are pretty solid, really.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Journey is good, yes, you're right.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Estoy hasta los huevos
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    ¿en que?

I didn't gel with Bioshock either. The OG had me intrigued and I did love the setting and the story, but the gameplay was bobbins. Everyone was raving about it at the time, how you can cleverly set traps and lure enemies into them. I was probably just playing it wrong. I got pretty far in but could never bring myself to play it again.

Bought Infinite on release as my return to the series, again mainly due to the setting. Despite completing it in a couple of days, I can't say I enjoyed the experience beyond the first hour or so.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    ¿en que?

Porque hevos vueltos
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    um, vale...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This is an English board not Mexican.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    One day, I might find out why people like Bioshock.
    I didn't gel with Bioshock either. The OG had me intrigued and I did love the setting and the story, but the gameplay was bobbins. Everyone was raving about it at the time, how you can cleverly set traps and lure enemies into them. I was probably just playing it wrong. I got pretty far in but could never bring myself to play it again. Bought Infinite on release as my return to the series, again mainly due to the setting. Despite completing it in a couple of days, I can't say I enjoyed the experience beyond the first hour or so.

Bioshock is basically a crap game wrapped in a neat narrative trick and making fun of libertarians.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    This is an English board not Mexican.

Racista.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My favourite gangster is Colombian.
  • Persona 4 on Vita - in the first few hours, so little of the game is interactive, aside from pressing X to advance the dialogue boxes.  It really did feel like a slog and it took me a few goes to get into it.

When I DID finally get into it, it became one of my favourite JRPG's.

It does have a very fun story and a lot of great characters too, but the first impression is pretty poor IMO. 

Agree with the OP re: Wolfenstein, the opening bit is pretty standard FPS fare and I'm not a big fan of the genre - also remember cracking the sads about having to press a button to pick up ammo, haha.  Great game after the first half hour or so!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I am due to give Metro 2033 a second chance.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I still have to give that another go. I'm not holding out much hope.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Having read the NMS thread I'd guess you'd say that ;-)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm going to give NMS another try.  I lost interest when I found the Adam Goodes planet, as the constant booing and whingeing old white men got me down after a while.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I am due to give Metro 2033 a second chance.

Same.

Gave up first time and traded it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!