Nintendo Switch
  • Kiiiiiiiiiiineeeeeeect
  • The point of launch titles, and especially pack-in games, is to show off the USP of the machine. Whether that’s innovative control inputs or higher power.

Wii Sports was the perfect pack-in game. Playing it explained the Wii.

What might the perfect Switch introduction be? Could you design a game that plays mostly at home but has an essential mobile component? And uses some of the different controller modes? And leverages one of Nintendo’s massive existing IPs?

I reckon Pokemon could do that. A deep game to play on the home console (long gaming sessions don’t work on mobile), which requires you to go out and hunt down Pokemon via GPS like Pokemon Go. Then chuck Pokeballs at them with the motion controls in the JoyCon.

So why haven’t Nintendo done that?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Because they're mental, as has already been explained.
  • Kiiiiiiiiiiineeeeeeect

Yeah and look popular that proved when people didnt have some software justifying it shoved in their faces.
  • Kow wrote:
    Because they're mental, as has already been explained.

Yep.

This console marketing lark is child’s play. Let’s start a company.
  • Vela wrote:
    I'd be curious as to what price people have bought other consoles at.
    I held off on PS4 or Bone for a long time, certainly launch prices were too high for me (if not more understandable at the time than Switch considering spec).
    Just before Chrimbo I got my PS4 slim. In total i got the slim console, Fifa 17, Uncharted 4, titanfall 2, lego avengers game and extra joypad, which altogether cost £272....or less than a switch with no games.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Xbox and PS4 consoles have so much more to offer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetris v Puyo Puyo to be on Switch. Colour me interested.
    Wondered when you'd pop in mate. Thought some of what was shown would perk your interest. Super Bomberman R, 1-2 Switch or Snipperclips raised an eyebrow at all?

Aye. The Bomberman game sounds nice, as does the SF II game. It's like back to the 90's but in a good way.

Arms also looks good, as does the new Mario one. And as I didn't get a Wii U, MK8 Dx is another reason to get a Switch.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't really remember what prices I've bought other consoles at, but I do know that I've never paid more than a Switch for any of them, the only console I've ever day-1ed was the Dreamcast, everything else I've waited for price drops.
  • Vela wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    I'd be curious as to what price people have bought other consoles at.
    Do you mean in a straight comparison to an XB1/PS4? As I don't think the comparison would work for a number of reasons. Or do you mean at what point they've gone in on Nintendo consoles?

I simply mean have you ever bought a console for more than a Switch? 

I've bought dreamcast, ps3, ps4, 360 and ps2 for more than a Switch. 
    Ive bought Wii U, Gamecube, xbox and Wii for less. Although with inflation wii might be closein today's dollars. 

Point being it is actually an historically cheap console in my country and the complaints are out of whack when compared to the obscenity that was ps3, and 360 which were the two worst launch consoles ever. One had no games. The other had no quality control.

I've bought many consoles for more than a Switch, but that's because they represented better value for money for me and the mass market, which is why the WiiU sold so badly.

Value for money could include a number of things from more powerful tech, Blu-Ray and or 4k drives, HDR enabled, will have all multi platform releases, in what we know at the moment will potentially have much better value for money in their subscription service and don't require another smart device to fully partake. If the Switch is marketing itself towards a different audience with things like 1-2 Switch then it should be priced like the Wii to make it a secondary console, that's why the Wii did so well. If it's going to be strongly based on the legacy players then why only Zelda at launch and then ports up until Mario? The WiiU wasn't a success because it didn't have enough of a mass market appeal, huge gaps in first party support, third parties didn't put their big franchises on it, and it was too expensive for a social party game console.

The complaints make perfect sense, it's a console built using very outdated tech with very few games at an expensive price with very expensive peripherals, all it's really got going for it to me and the majority right now is Zelda, and they're releasing that on their old platform anyway.
  • davyK wrote:
    Arms also looks good

What??

• He said your arms look good. You been working out?
  • Only ones I can remember off the top of my head are:

SNES: £150 with SMW & 2 PADS!
    N64: £150 
    PS2: £280 (might have been £270)
    GBA: £90
    GCN: £130 
    Wii: £180 with Wii Sports
    360: £300 Elite 120GB
    PS3: £350 with RR7, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm and Resistance
    3DS: £187 
    Wii U: £325 with Zombi U and Pro Controller
    PS4: £290 - 2TB 

All came with just a pad unless stated.

The rest I either can't remember or were second hand dealings.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • He said your arms look good. You been working out?

extremelycompressedthroughoversharingarnie.jpeg
  • I know the Switch isn't going up against the XOne/PS4 launch prices but out of interest here's all historical launch prices adjusted for inflation:

Console                   Year         Original Price        2016 Price
    3DO                          1993          $699                      $1,165.10
    Neo-Geo                    1991          $649                      $1,147.68
    Intellivision                1980          $299                      $873.97
    Atari 2600                  1977          $199                      $790.92
    Atari 5200                  1982          $269                      $671.39
    Sega Saturn               1995          $399                      $630.58
    PlayStation 3              2006          $499/$599              $596.16/$715.63
    Magnavox Odyssey      1972          $99                        $570.44
    Xbox One                   2013          $499                      $515.91
    PlayStation                 1995          $299                      $472.54
    NES                          1985           $199                       $445.44
    Atari Jaguar                1993          $249                      $440.33
    Sega Master System    1986           $199                      $437.32
    ColecoVision               1982          $175                       $436.78
    PlayStation 2              2000          $299                       $418.21
    PlayStation 4              2013          $399                       $412.52
    Xbox                         2001          $299                       $406.63
    PlayStation 4 Pro         2016          $399                       $399
    TurboGrafx-16             1989          $199                       $386.53
    Xbox 360                    2005          $299/$399               $368.74/$492.07
    Sega Genesis              1989           $189                      $367.11
    SNES                         1991           $199                      $351.91
    Wii U                         2012           $299/$349              $313.66/$366.11
    Nintendo 64                1996           $199                      $305.48
    Nintendo Switch           2017          $299                       $299
    Wii                             2006          $249                      $297.48
    Dreamcast                  1999           $199                      $287.69
    GameCube                  2001           $199                      $270.64

Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/10/04/comparing-the-price-of-every-game-console-with-inflation
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Informative and readable.
  • This website is a cunt
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • How do I post an excel spreadsheet please?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a fine console but if you think the Xbox one represented anything near value at launch I wanna know what you're smoking.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right I'm gonna do a mega post at some point with as much of the info about this as possible so we don't need to go over topics over and over.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Right I'm gonna do a mega post at some point with as much of the info about this as possible so we don't need to go over topics over and over.

Can we get a mod to delete both Switch threads and start fresh with a nice OP.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's a fine console but if you think the Xbox one represented anything near value at launch I wanna know what you're smoking.

There's a difference between it being value for money instantly at launch and knowing it's going to have every major multi-platform for the next 5 or 6 years, whatever exclusives, the best online console network, a BR player and reasonably good tech. At the S launch you had all that plus 4k, HDR plus the BC catalogue value. The PS4 has had very much the same. The Switch doesn't have any of those, it's got some of the Nintendo franchises with no reason to believe it'll have them all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Why wouldn't it have them all? That's a rather odd statement. Even WiiU got pretty much the full set.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Hello, it looks like you're new to the Internet.  Would you like to view a tutorial?
  • Verecocha wrote:
    There's a difference between it being value for money instantly at launch and knowing it's going to have every major multi-platform for the next 5 or 6 years, whatever exclusives, the best online console network, a BR player and reasonably good tech. At the S launch you had all that plus 4k, HDR plus the BC catalogue value. The PS4 has had very much the same. The Switch doesn't have any of those, it's got some of the Nintendo franchises with no reason to believe it'll have them all.

That's the vicious circle that Nintendo find themselves in. Sega had the same problem with the Dreamcast.

No one has faith it'll eventually become good. PS2 the best selling console of all time was shite out the gates with games, for quite a while to. If we're talking games the DC was far superior for the PS2's first year at least.

If everyone brought a Switch and EA sold 8m copies of FIFA on it you would then see support, but that can't happen without it first selling. But hows it gonna sell if there's no support?

There's a wait and see with Nintendo thats impossible for them to escape.

Sony seemed to get away with it with the PS3, I remember reading that launches aligned both PS3 and 360 sold at a slower rate than the GCN for a year or two yet GCN's 3rd party support was dropped yet they still backed PS3 and 360.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Make another thread if ya want but by feck we're not deleting the current ones. Only spam gets deleted.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Why wouldn't it have them all? That's a rather odd statement. Even WiiU got pretty much the full set.

It did? Did it have Metroid, F-Zero, Waverace, Zelda? Some of those I literally aren't sure, and Zelda is going to have a technically better version as a launch title for its next console.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Make another thread if ya want but by feck we're not deleting the current ones. Only spam gets deleted.

There's a fair few duplicate and dead threads that no one would miss on here tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!