Nintendo Switch
  • I couldnt give a flying fuck about 1080/60, the total obsession with those numbers is the absolute worst thing about gaming at the moment.
    Yes worse that thing you just thought of and are about to type.

It's not unreasonable to expect the resolution to be the same as the screen it's playing on. Apparently Zelda looks and plays more smoothly on the mobile screen and I find this unacceptable even though I agree with your main point.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    w2sUsdw.jpg
    Cheapest sex dungeon in history.
  • Only piece of Wii plastic of any use was the guns.

edit: Speaking of which I'm after a couple of plastic guns for my PS Move controllers but their fucking extortionate.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • When we play MK on the WiiU the boy likes the gamepad, the missus the Pro and I like the Wii-nunchuck thing. I'll miss that idiosyncratic side the WiiU had that apparently people didn't understand.
  • Only piece of Wii plastic of any use was the guns. edit: Speaking of which I'm after a couple of plastic guns for my PS Move controllers but their fucking extortionate.
    Loved the Move. Really under rated bit of kit.
  • Deadstorm Pirates is one of the best on rail shooters of last gen, it was a bonus on Time Crisis. Only ones I played more were probably the RE Chronicles on Wii.

Nothing touches Virtua Cop with proper/traditional video game guns but there was a good selection last gen across Wii and PS3.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There was a pub at my Uni that had a Time Crisis 2 machine, the big fuck off one.
    It was set at a reasonable difficulty as well.
    Great times, especially on pound a pint night.
    Nothing beats ear piercing arcade sound for lightgun games.

This type of machine, that wasnt the actual place.
    img_20160106162149_cc56f5df.jpg
  • Can't go wrong mate, great fun.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Apparently, bundled Joy-con grip won't charge actual Joy-cons.

Madness.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • At this point I don't know if people are repeating queries for reals or lols.
  • Source was @MyNintendoNews on Twitter. If it's accurate, that's bonkers.
  • It's been covered already today.
  • It is true but we've already gone over it.

Not your fault, I'm sure there's been too many comments for you to catch up on, can't blame you for not bothering.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Whoops. Sorry lads. Been head down in work all day. Will do some reading and catch up...
  • Jaco wrote:
    Been head down in work all day.

Pfft.
  • Andy wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Been head down in work all day.

Pfft.

Erm... Okay?
  • You need to sort out your priorities, mate. This is serious business.
  • Ah. I see. I will address that.
  • Had a customer ask if we had any WiiFit balance boards left today. Took me back.
  • Woah. Time warp.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Time warp.

Let's Twist Again.
  • Why do I imagine gav picking up the phone? "Hold on, I'm calling miyamoto right now." "He says fuck off and die, ya fud"
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Andy wrote:
    ...how many of these special features will be used in something like 1,2 switch but be completely redundant in the core games like mario and zelda?  ir sensor for checking if you giving a thumbs up, hd rumble so you can count balls in your hand?

Sorry, but this is typical of the narrow-minded negativity you see in the face of this kind of development. It's like, you've only seen one use of the HD rumble, so that's all you can think it's good for. Use your imagination; a lot of people wrote off rumble as a gimmick. But, we've now seen what it's capable of, just imagine the increased levels of detail they can now put into rumble. It's a tremendous development for videogames, but because you're only shown one implementation, fuck it, its shite.

Similarly, it doesn't matter if core games don't use everything; they are there for a range of experiences. I recently bought a box containing chess, draughts and backgammon, but I'm not complaining that chess doesn't use the dice.

Loved this post.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    $300 is less than what I'd pay in euros

You won't need a different power adaptor?

Speedhaak wrote:
    You know it might have been better (although it's clear it will never happen now) if they just came out with a balls to the wall gaming console with top tier first party games running at 4k/60fps with a focus on emulating the success of the Snes in the 90s and forget all this rubbish about living room party games and reenacting scenes form the matrix like a twat.

This applies to me, because I'd planned to buy their previous two when they'd fallen in price, but they were so dated by then — or will be, in the case of the U — that all attraction was lost. I'd begrudge paying £300+ for wheezy tech (unless it functioned as a full tablet), and it'll be two gens old when it hits a hundred.

On paper, it's one of the best tablets made since perhaps (ahem), the iPad Mini.

Without wishing to bring back any of my hacking chat, I agree.

g.man wrote:
    The charging dog controller is a separate accessory that you have to buy though.

That connects to the dock over USB according to the specs sheet I saw earlier, so it doesn't appear to have its own battery. Maybe it does? Might just be a wired conduit, though.

then again it is Hori not Nintendo.

Who've been around for ages as a third-party hardware outfit, @monkey. Mad Catz aren't doing so well these days, but they're another. Razer; Logitech; Saitek; Fanatec... The techs.

I couldnt give a flying fuck about 1080/60, the total obsession with those numbers is the absolute worst thing about gaming at the moment.

I'm not backing that stance (proviso below), just repeating that it matters to (seemingly) a growing number. As I said above (and then I really must stop moaning), I wouldn't mind were its price reflective. The other two consoles had the advantage of an overlong previous generation when they came in at £350/430, plus reasonable levels of power.

The Switch makes a lot more sense as a portable, but the majority of those with pre-orders — that I've heard from — have stated home-use as their heavy primary. And though it's powerful as a portable, its size and battery are major hurdles in its application to that end.

In many ways it's a good idea, but I'd have kept the 6.2" screen and shrunk its case, and then removed the techy gubbins and two-player functionality from the Joy-Cons in favour of cheap replacements and a d-pad. For £199, a genuine 6.2" tablet with nice attachable controllers and a TV dock. I think that that screen size is a perfect compromise between portability and usability, but housed in their too-big case it's far less appealing.

I want to like it, I honestly do.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Switch_Charging.png

Charging port's flush. This might be for docked reliability: I had an ASUS tablet with a latching keyboard, and the keyboard used to lose connection all the time. With a locking latch.

If they didn't test a raised column in the dock they should've, though.
  • Tbf, Switch does use the best of cutting edge android tablet hardware for gaming purposes with detachable Nintendo controllers. People who want a more rounded tablet like experience really should check out nvidia's original shield.
    As for pricing, I'm sure prices will go down during the holidays. People in day one will have to pay the early adopter full phat price.

Also, the current Switch uses active cooling with a fan. Make the housing any thinner and the thing will probably experience problems with heat dissipation. Here's waiting for the inevitable X2 soc upgrade.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/games/oms/nintendo_switch/hardware/index.html

Grabbed the link from the positive thread. In no way are Nintendo aiming this, certainly not in the UK, at families. The marketing is all aimed at 20 somethings with disposable income, who perhaps were into games in their teens, but have died off due to the demands of probably work plus social life. There is one pic of a kid nearly at the bottom of the page, with his dad. Yet the software doesn't match the market they are trying to target. Another misstep for Ninty I'm feeling. My gut feeling is they've had a new ad agency in who've said you need to freshen up your brand and stop just advertising to kids and parents, not realising the potential damage they could be doing to the brand. As a lot of people have said in this thread, family is the bread and butter of Nintendo. Fair enough chase the older demographic who game occasionally, but at least get Fifa, Cod etc in your marketing so it appeals to the masses.
  • Escape wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    All this said I will definitely get a Switch come Christmas and bust out some 720p Mario ;-)
    Just to clear this up, Leadbetter was told that it was running 720/60 docked, and it's allegedly almost finished. Without 1080 to come down from to maintain 60fps, he questioned the available headroom for portable. 11 minutes:

Is the portable grunt deficit confirmed?  I can't click on that video at the mo.  I'd filed that with the Mario Rabbids stuff as rumour.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope, not in that video, they are wondering if Mario will lose the 720/60, but it's just supposition at this stage.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!