Shenmue 3!
  • Meh, Shenmue III is absolutely in a league of its own. It's the legend, it's the meme, it's the stuff that dreams are made of. Someday there will be another F-Zero, someday there will be HalfLife3, hell even FFVII remake was a dead cert in the someday stakes, but Shenmue III? That was just unequivocally never going to happen, ever.
    And now it is.

it's The Holy Grail

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I really hope it sells and gets critical acclaim otherwise all this hype could be forgotten.

Its great for the genuine fans but I can't help but be annoyed at the thought that if this many people cared in the late 90s early 00s we might still have our Sega alive and kicking.

Where were all these people when we needed you?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • We were always there. The vocal minority. We spoke out, but nobody listened.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Someday there will be another F-Zero, someday there will be HalfLife3, hell even FFVII remake was a dead cert in the someday stakes, but Shenmue III? That was just unequivocally never going to happen, ever. And now it is. it's The Holy Grail g.man

Very true. If I'd had to place bets a couple of years ago I would have put more money on a new SEGA machine than Shenmue III.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Memories of selling PS2s with shite games like Oni in its first year whilst the DC died a slow death at the back of the EB shop I worked at are now emerging in my head.

Theres no hype like PlayStation hype.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd say Half Life 3 is slowly verging into your Shenmue territory. And the Last a Guardian Thread definitely says hello.

That being said - I'll play some After Burner vicariously through Ryo tho.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Where were all these people when we needed you?

I still have my DC and copies of Shenmue I and II. I kept the faith.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I still have mine. Silly old 4 disc shenanigans
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Theres no hype like PlayStation hype.

I remember that. "I'd like a Dreamcast, but I'm waiting for the PlayStation 2. It's banned in {country} you know, cos it's like a super computer and you could use it to launch missiles."

I cried myself to sleep a lot during those days.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'd say Half Life 3 is slowly verging into your Shenmue territory. And the Last a Guardian Thread definitely says hello.

That being said - I'll play some After Burner vicariously through Ryo tho.
    They're big stories for sure, but Shenmue III is simply in a completely different stratosphere to either. It's not hyperbole to say that it is the holy grail of unmade sequels. Go back to You Tube, watch the reactions of people to the Sony reveal. It's simply in a league of its own.
    It will be decades before we see another reveal that has the impact of this one.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Now I'm trying to think of less likely sequels. Panzer Dragoon Saga II? That'd probably be announced to the sound of crickets, though.
  • Those amiibos you all like so much? Shenmue invented them back in the 90's when we were gambling Ryo's daily allowance for collectable Sega figurines in the slot machines outside The Tomato Store.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    True story I've only played Shenmue 1 (I did complete it). So I've no idea if 2 is any cop.

I also could never fucking beat Chai in the arcade. Fuck that baldy.

Chai = Evil gollum.
    I beat him after a gazillion tries.
    Then I realized I could level up my moves in the parking lot outside.
    Doh!

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah, I'm with g in this - HL3 and Shenmue 3 are nowhere near comparable. I mean, does anyone think HL3 won't come out? No, it's just people expecting it now, or soon. It was commercially successful, ported to multiple consoles and is the flagship series of one of the most powerful games companies in the world.

Shennerz was a legitimate trapped-in-purgatory-gone-but-not-forgotten pipe dream from a bygone age of consoles that many of today's kids have probably never seen or touched. Half life 3 is a new Star Trek movie - even if that series disappears for a decade you know 100% it will arrive at some point. Shenmue 3 is Gilliam actually finishing Don Quixote.
  • Oddly, the only other mythical possibility I can think of on a similar level is the FFVII remake.

Thought that would never happen too. And then both come along at once.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Like London buses.

Coincidentally, I'm on a London bus. How about that then?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Those amiibos you all like so much? Shenmue invented them back in the 90's when we were gambling Ryo's daily allowance for collectable Sega figurines in the slot machines outside The Tomato Store.

I think actually Japan invented them when they had capsule machines in the 70s-80s which is the time period Shenmue is.

And also 1994 says hi.

dk+(1).JPG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I'm with g in this - HL3 and Shenmue 3 are nowhere near comparable. I mean, does anyone think HL3 won't come out? No, it's just people expecting it now, or soon. It was commercially successful, ported to multiple consoles and is the flagship series of one of the most powerful games companies in the world.

Shennerz was a legitimate trapped-in-purgatory-gone-but-not-forgotten pipe dream from a bygone age of consoles that many of today's kids have probably never seen or touched. Half life 3 is a new Star Trek movie - even if that series disappears for a decade you know 100% it will arrive at some point. Shenmue 3 is Gilliam actually finishing Don Quixote.

Gilliam has Don Quixote in his Netflix contract.

2015 the year of what in the fuck is going on.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Now I'm trying to think of less likely sequels. Panzer Dragoon Saga II? That'd probably be announced to the sound of crickets, though.

I'd cheer loudly.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm actually not down on Shenmue 3 at all. It's just a fun internet reaction. As morrissey would say - fork lifters of the world, unite and take over
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    True story I've only played Shenmue 1 (I did complete it). So I've no idea if 2 is any cop. I also could never fucking beat Chai in the arcade. Fuck that baldy.
    Chai = Evil gollum. I beat him after a gazillion tries. Then I realized I could level up my moves in the parking lot outside. Doh!

AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If we're havbing Shenmue, can I haz nu SuperHD GodHand pleeze
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Who has the patience these days for a game like this?

I really enjoyed the novelty of wandering round and experiencing Japan etc but got bored somewhere around disc 2 or 3 of Shenmue 1. I enjoyed Headhunter more.

In the end I was just visiting the arcade.

Did I miss anything?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    We haven't got to it yet but 'rapport system' is almost certainly in the bag now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I really hope it sells and gets critical acclaim otherwise all this hype could be forgotten. Its great for the genuine fans but I can't help but be annoyed at the thought that if this many people cared in the late 90s early 00s we might still have our Sega alive and kicking. Where were all these people when we needed you?
    It's a few hundred thousand people getting excited on the internet. Sounds like loads, but in hindsight, Shenmue is the test case for story led 3D needing to sell in the multi-millions. For all that they've been a bit naughty with the kickstarter, Sony probably need that winning E3 buzz from doing this to make it a sure thing. The actual game could still be a money loser.
  • Shenmue was a revolutionary title at the time (1999) but the action adventure genre has moved on.
    At the time of release there simply was no other game like it. It truely was one of a kind, a new benchmark. Now there's high tier stuff like the Witcher3, GTAV and the Yakuza series advancing the genre forward.

I do hope Suzuki doesn't ignore these advances and doesn't stick to old design templates. As much as I love Shenmue 1+2 they do feel dated when playing them today. The ridiculous tank controls, the hammy voiceovers, the scripted events and animations, the general flow of the game. All these issues need to be adressed if Sony and Sega want to succesfully reboot the series and find a new audience for the game.

Not to mention the financial management of a project like this. Suzuki would do well observing how other teams (like cdpr) manage.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I thought this was a joke thread. Had no idea this was actually real.  But a kickstarter announced at E3 was a strange way to go about things.  I recall playing a demo of Shenmue 2 on the OldBox and thinking this was 'slightly different'.  Probably my first experience ever of a QTE in a game.  I don't understand all the evangelising this series gets, but for those who were there at the time of Dreamcast, I guess this must feel a somewhat momentous occasion.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    I thought this was a joke thread.

It was :-|
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Ruh oh:

Engadget then asked if there are any more cult titles Sony plans to help with crowdfunding. A PR representative responded, saying that "they're building a list."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!