Comfort zone gaming
  • Everyone should at least try Souls.

The numerous descriptions of Souls I've heard make my gaming parts shrivel and hide like they've been submerged in cold sea water.  It sounds like an excellent game but I'd bet gigantic sums of money I'd dislike it, so I've avoided it.  

Historically my tastes tend to go in shifts - one on one or scrolling fighters/beat 'em ups in the early 90s, action RPGs for a few years starting in '93, JRPGs briefly, then whatever was highly rated in Edge (which coincided with a gaming lull post Dreamcast).  Now I'm into quick blast indie stuff, mainly platformers, retro games I missed and a fair few of the Nintendo exclusives.  I'm pretty sure I'm done with FPSs after Halo 4, for example - and I didn't even dislike it.
  • I feel like I really missed the opportunity with the games but I will definitely get Dark Souls 2 when it is released again then.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Everyone should at least try Souls.

I tried it.
  • I've got Demon Souls and while it's difficult it's the sort of difficult where you blame yourself for the mistake rather than curse the game. It's a great game but complacency gets you killed all too often.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Bayonetta was a game I would never normally play. Loved it.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yossarian wrote:

I tried it.
    Iirc you didn't like it, which is perfectly fine.
  • I feel like I really missed the opportunity with the games but I will definitely get Dark Souls 2 when it is released again then.

Do yourself a favour and play the original. The sequel does nothing to highlight what makes Souls games great I'm afraid.

Do yourself a favour and play the original. The sequel does nothing to highlight what makes Souls games great I'm afraid.

Cue demons fans up in arms about "original."

;)

I heart both souls I've played. Haven't started 2.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • 2 is still a good game, just not as good as the others.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    2 lacks the coherency of 1 though it improves on it in many other aspects.  Mechanically it's refined, just dipped in atmos and arguably variety.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Its just the need for a ps3 to play it that is the issue...

I may wait for the summer holidays, borrow my brothers ps3 and see what I can get through of the first then.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Remember to play Journey... that bit in the snow. Perfection.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Still waiting for an updated PS4 version. I'm sure thatgamecompany said at one point that they were working on it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

I tried it.
    Iirc you didn't like it, which is perfectly fine.

You do rc.
  • A year or so ago I would never have touched a JRPG and have made a few gratuitous digs at the genre over the forums' years, but last summer (I don't remember what prompted it) I tried Earthbound and absolutely fell in love with it. The turn-based battles which had previously put me off for seeming like such a bizarre abstraction proved to be an interpretation of combat that really appeals to my love of point and click adventures. Earthbound has become an all-time favourite (and Persona 4 Golden along with it).

Dragon Quest V is the current obsession. I like to always have one on the go now.
  • Skerret wrote:
    2 lacks the coherency of 1 though it improves on it in many other aspects.  Mechanically it's refined, just dipped in atmos and arguably variety.

The only thing Souls 2 improved on was ranged combat in my opinion. I think the mechanics are more solid in the first game and combat in general far more rewarding.

Demons Souls was also a brilliant game. Unmatched atmosphere.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Keaton was right.

Actually, I received a lovely letter from Keaton this morning. It read:

Keaton wrote:
    To my friend, krs,

Do you know what I really treasure? It's the heartfelt letter I got from you. When I'm feeling down or slumpy, I cheer myself up by rereading it. Thanks!

- Keaton

He's clearly seen the error of his ways.
  • Skerret wrote:

The only thing Souls 2 improved on was ranged combat in my opinion. I think the mechanics are more solid in the first game and combat in general far more rewarding.

Demons Souls was also a brilliant game. Unmatched atmosphere.

And MP connectivity, that ring was a great idea.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Reg once started a thread like this... I pledged to play Dead Space, but never got round to it. :[

Chuffing do it, Dead Space is immense. Up there with Metroid Prime and other games on the "not quite as good as Ocarina of Time but DAMN SON THEY CAME CLOSE" list. Probably the only game on Xbox 360 that I got a thousand points in that wasn't a Halo game. A total of four play throughs and I loved every minute.

I reckon I'm already fulfilling the challenge in this thread, I've been playing Bayonetta, which was a Christmas pressie from a friend, but I never would have bought it for myself. I just wish there was a difficulty level between Easy and Medium! Former is "hit buttons and you'll win" latter is the video game equivalent of a Sisyphean task.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I enjoy pretty much everything apart from Solitaire. Knocking yourself out on an iron door is more fun.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Deas Space was indeed fab.  Not necessarily original, just brilliantly paces, polished as fuck, visceral in the extreme (saw blade gun wotsit yerss) and a decent story well executed with a good voice cast.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Got a few words in with the director of Alien Iso on Saturday and he cites Dead Space (the first) as a solid influence on their game.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Mm, I can see it.  Nice get Bollo*cough*
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Don't die.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I sustain myself on a steady diet of puns.
  • My current comfyzone is to not play videogames so this is a very easy challenge tbh.
  • This announcement coming just days after your declaration that you can now bait AI Gill in 3rd Strike.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Maybe he was referring to the boxart?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!