Gaming YouTubers. OP kinda updated.
  • Half Life's story is generic? Obvs you could boil it down to abstraction to map onto anything else, but I don't think its generic itself.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Alien invasion + human sympathisers creation of totalitarian government, unlikely hero ending up leading the resistance, yes, it's generic.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's basically the Belgian rape of the Congo with crowbars.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm pretty sure Yoss just gets kicks out of stonewalling everyone at this point.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's slightly mental of you to believe that the only possible way that I can hold a differing opinion to you on this matter is in order to protect my ego as opposed to just, y'know, having a different opinion.

Edit: Gonz, obvs.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Alien invasion + human sympathisers creation of totalitarian government, unlikely hero ending up leading the resistance, yes, it's generic.

Describing half life 2 in the most generic way possible does not equate to being generic.

Also you miss out: PHD physics guy saves the world, goes into stasis, somehow becomes a godlike figure, BEFORE the story even starts. (totes ungeneric)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think gaming youtube vids may be the most shit thing I've seen on youtube. I rue the day I discovered Pewdeecunt existed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Describing half life 2 in the most generic way possible does not equate to being generic.

Also you miss out: PHD physics guy saves the world, goes into stasis, somehow becomes a godlike figure, BEFORE the story even starts. (totes ungeneric)

If you take out the words 'PhD physics guy', isn't that the plot of Demolition Man?
  • One of the greatest films of all time. I'm not sure if the addition of a PhD would improve things or not though.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Describing half life 2 in the most generic way possible does not equate to being generic. Also you miss out: PHD physics guy saves the world, goes into stasis, somehow becomes a godlike figure, BEFORE the story even starts. (totes ungeneric)
    If you take out the words 'PhD physics guy', isn't that the plot of Demolition Man?
    #

only the stasis bit. There are no stained glass windows of stallone and certainly he is unknown apart from the old guy. and even then demolition man doesn't go into HL2
  • This guy is real good at this.

It's a bit more fun than reading the essays he did.
  • Anyone watched the GooseGoose HL2 commentary?
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Brooks wrote:
    This guy is real good at this. It's a bit more fun than reading the essays he did.
    Watched the tanker. I'll have to upload my playthrough some day.
  • Hullo! i'm Scott Manley

..and if you know who that is then you read that in his voice.

He's pretty good.
  • Good stuff.

@brooks Thar MGS2 vid is belter. He's still not as good as me at te actual game but I'll let that slide.
  • So Nintendo have just doubled down on their excellent YouTube policy and said you have to remove any non-Nintendo content from your channel if you want to become affiliated.
  • That's if you want to get 70% on your Nintendo videos, you can still apply for other videos to be monetised without removing content but you only get 60%.

Also, I don't see anything to stop you from just creating another channel exclusively for Nintendo stuff.
  • I think that's what'll happen but are all their followers going to sub to both channels? Some people are Nintendo channels anyway but mainly play games that aren't on the list.
  • I think Nintendo currently takes 100 percent of that ad money right now though.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I think that's what'll happen but are all their followers going to sub to both channels? Some people are Nintendo channels anyway but mainly play games that aren't on the list.
    I'd say no, but all the followers wouldn't be interested in watching the Nintendo videos anyway. I'm sure the ones who are would subscribe to both.

The whitelist thing will be more of a problem, I can see why they would want certain games not up there (for example, mistercrayons point in the other thread) but can't work out why Smash is not on that list.
  • From the tubers I've heard talk about this kinda thing, it doesn't seem like the vast majority of their followers pay too much attention. If you change your name or move channel you can lose loads. It took me ages to realise some people I follow have other channels.
  • Just say "check out my Nintendo channel" at the end of the odd video, encourage people to follow you on twitter for latest videos etc. Unless Nintendo have some weird rule about not promoting the channel - wouldn't suprise me! :)

It's probably to simplify the system and avoid legal issues as the subscribers to that channel will be there for Nintendo and that youtuber alone; don't have to worry about third-parties claiming their stuff helped increase the profits.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    I think that's what'll happen but are all their followers going to sub to both channels? Some people are Nintendo channels anyway but mainly play games that aren't on the list.
    I'd say no, but all the followers wouldn't be interested in watching the Nintendo videos anyway. I'm sure the ones who are would subscribe to both. The whitelist thing will be more of a problem, I can see why they would want certain games not up there (for example, mistercrayons point in the other thread) but can't work out why Smash is not on that list.

Also, they have the legends of zelda allowed (amusingly, two versions of loz: skyward sword are listed, one which came with the remote and the other with just the CD) so it's not story. My other hypothesis was content creation but then they allow art academy and warioware diy (and doesn't explain the lack of melee). 

So. An arbitrary list it seems like.
  • I haven't tried to fathom the list yet but might it be down to licensing? Doesn't Pokemon partly belong so some other company and aren't there Pokemen in Melee.
  • That might well be it, they've licensed a couple of other characters too (sonic, pacman, possibly others) but it probably wouldn't cover youtube revenue. The relationship they have, you'd think they could get Pokemon licensed for this if they wanted though.
  • It looks like they don't want anyone doing this so I don't think it'll be a big priority to clear certain characters.
  • The Pokemon thing is a good shout. Another thing that is missing is a lot of games made not 100% by nintendo. Kid Icarus Uprising, anything made by HAL (kirby, smash bro, earthbound), the advance wars (intelligent systems). Still doesn't explain animal crossing.
  • IanHamlett wrote:

Whats the deal with this list?

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just a whitelist of games that you're allowed to monetise once you've removed all non-nintendo games from your channel and applied to share the profits of your vid and waited a few days.

https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/whitelist/
  • Basically, fuck Nintendo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!