The Crew
  • Yeah way to go guys. Nick Hastings is the man!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Not going to affect my decision. I loved the Beta and want more.
  • I hope it’s good. Would be nice to have two decent multiplayer racing games to choose between. I just never trust a game I can’t see reviews of, y’know? £50/60 is too much money to throw around on the offchance.
  • £41 on Amazon if they don't send it to the wrong city....
  • Ali wrote:
    £41 on Amazon if they don't send it to the wrong city....

That I live in. And no, it's not at my house being played by me right now. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’m gonna give it time. See what you guys think, see what the reviewing media thinks. Might pick it up in a few weeks.
  • poprock wrote:
    I’m not seeing very positive first impressions … (Screenshot from Twitter.) 73534e45a576095c149a8cb73efdf958.png
    You cannot possibly get an accurate feel for a game like this in thirty minutes. Hell, there are very few games you can grasp in that time.
  • Unless your a bone fanboy ;)
    The Forum Herald™
  • Finally got a copy now and skipped every movie and travel to get up to where I was in the beta. Time for fun now!
  • Pretty much what I did, although I actually stopped a little sooner and started taking trips around the country. I've been to New York, Miami, DC and Dallas, may complete the east coast run today if I get time.
  • It's a bit of an odd one.

Had some fun just driving around. Drove down to Las Vegas and had a cruise down the strip.

Got some co-op on one of the missions. Which made it easier.

But it's a bit off, imho, having an MMO and not being able to create your own character. One of the funniest things about TD:U was creating a bonkers avatar and putting them in funny clothes.

The story is terrible, the supporting cast is terrible.

Some of the missions are frustrating solo too. One early one sees you chasing down a pick up but your top speeds are virtually identical so it's hard catching up. Literally it took 1 out of the 3 minutes just to catch up. Miss (because the guy turns for instance) and it can take another minute to line him up again and catch up again. Eventually I learned his pattern.. and each time some black guy from central casting is ghetto talking you through the mission AGAIN.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm ignoring the stupid plot and just enjoying the world they've created and all the fantastic detail. Any game with a giant Punxsatawney Phil statue in it is alright with me....

As for those more difficult solo missions, they do feel a bit random. Same with the one at Chicago Airport. In the beta, it took me almost to the end of the time, yet last night it took me one T bone and it was over. Much prefer races to that nonsense. But it's the sense of community that's going to really make or break it. Last night I decided to drive from Detroit to St. Louis and, on the way, met another player who was obviously on the same route and at the same part of the game. Once we got there, he invited me to do a few St. Louis missions in co-op and it was just excellent fun. A genuine feel of being in a gaming community, if only fleeting. Reminded me a bit of playing Journey. More of that please.
  • the random I co-oped with didn't speak.. just did some mouth breathing.

There appears to be people around though.

Fancy hooking up tonight for some road tripping?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Chief wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    I’m not seeing very positive first impressions … (Screenshot from Twitter.) 73534e45a576095c149a8cb73efdf958.png
    You cannot possibly get an accurate feel for a game like this in thirty minutes. Hell, there are very few games you can grasp in that time.

For a racing game? Yeah you can.
  • Ali wrote:

Also saddening to see yet another release plagued with connection problems and shitty netcode.
  • Chief wrote:
    poprock wrote:

Lol, Well clearly they are all the same (although this is totally different from like DriveClub but y'know that already).

But in this case you'd have barely got past the tutorial in 30 mins to have any chance of seeing anything of the actual game. So no  you can't.
    The Forum Herald™
  • To really appreciate the work they've put in, you have to explore the map. It's just wonderful, and so varied. It feels like a genuinely cohesive country with distinct regions and there are so many lovely views to see. 

Digital Foundary are doing a comparison but, apparently, the Bone version was created by Ivory Tower and the PS4 version by Reflections? More screen tearing on PS4, more frame rate drops on Bone is the just of it, but both are very rare. Beyond that, both are 1080p and 30fps for the most part. Interesting that Reflections are getting familiar with the engine, though. A Driver game on this scale would be a thing of wonder...
  • Bob wrote:
    Chief wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Lol, Well clearly they are all the same (although this is totally different from like DriveClub but y'know that already). But in this case you'd have barely got past the tutorial in 30 mins to have any chance of seeing anything of the actual game. So no  you can't.

Yeah you can. If it handles like shit, then you'll know it in the first half hour. Surely that is one of the most important things in a racing game? You could have the whole fucking world as a map but if it plays shit, it means fuck all.

Simples.
  • Completely ignoring the ability to tinker with the settings to tailor the handling to your tastes? Or that, in half an hour, you can't have discovered the nuances of each car type/spec.

Stop being such a Negative Nancy.
  • Yeah you can. If it handles like shit, then you'll know it in the first half hour. Surely that is one of the most important things in a racing game? You could have the whole fucking world as a map but if it plays shit, it means fuck all. Simples.

And yet in this you don't really get to do much in the first half hour apart from bounce a 4x4 over some rough terrain and then set the story up. Still the handling is robust so I'm sure half an hour is fine.

Drove all the way to LA.. was nice winding up and down through a forest.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Chief wrote:
    Completely ignoring the ability to tinker with the settings to tailor the handling to your tastes? Or that, in half an hour, you can't have discovered the nuances of each car type/spec. Stop being such a Negative Nancy.

I'm sure you could review World of Warcraft or any other massive MMO in half an hour too!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Or that opening up perks by completing missions can be used to improve your characters driving skill and, thus, the car handling and braking. Never mind the car handling upgrades that open up as well. I suspect most folk criticising the handling never realised they were playing with all assists switched on and could also adjust the settings. 

My current favoured setting is steering dead zone at 0, steering sensitivity on 75-80%, steering speed factor on full and brake linearity pushed to the right a few clicks (brakes are too grabby as standard). Still playing with steering linearity.
  • No you could definitely assess all that in half an hour and come up with a definitive verdict that it wasn't any good.
    The Forum Herald™
  • There is however not enough force feedback from the PS4 controller.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Isn't that adjustable too? I never noticed. Finally found a use for this stupid UPlay points and have a lovely Dodge SRT10 to hoon around in, as well as Robocop's pistol in Far Cry 4...
  • I really do hate the mission AI and the dodgy physics.

But somehow it all fades away when in freeroam.
  • Started ploughing through some of the campaign last night in the hope of unlocking some perks, better cars, bit o' cash etc.. the actual missions themselves are ok. Especially when you get a little crew together, Got two extra people with me last night and it's quite a cool system of suggesting things to do.

Also while I was tweaking my steering systems I see there's also a drivers aids all switch on by default. I'm surprised I didn't notice that in the the first half an hour!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Started ploughing through some of the campaign last night in the hope of unlocking some perks, better cars, bit o' cash etc.. the actual missions themselves are ok. Especially when you get a little crew together, Got two extra people with me last night and it's quite a cool system of suggesting things to do.

Also while I was tweaking my steering systems I see there's also a drivers aids all switch on by default. I'm surprised I didn't notice that in the the first half an hour!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Picked up a Ford Focus for my first Dirt Spec car, but it took a while (and a little more tinkering with the handling) until I got the hang of the sliding handling. Ended up on some dirt roads up north though and it really was great fun to drive.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!