3DS or Vita or what?
  • Every time I think I've made a decision someone makes a solid argument for the other one.

Anyway, I can definitely only get one, and can't really spend more than £200 overall. I'll probably also have to get it a few weeks from now, before someone I know is visiting here from the UK, so I can get them to bring it. It'd be more expensive to buy one locally.
  • At the moment, I think if that Vita adventure pack thing becomes available soon I'll go for that, but I'm not quite sure what the deal with it is - a lot of places don't have it listed and elsewhere it's out of stock. 

I know that means no Fire Emblem, but I think overall I quite fancy a change. I've owned all the main Nintendo machines since the SNES, whereas the only Sony thing I've had is the PS1. That means there's quite a back catalogue of older stuff that'll be completely new to me.

I'm not keen on the other Vita packs though, so if that one's not around the XL+FE is plan B.
  • I want to use and like my Vita more than I do. There's quite a lot of indie stuff for it and they're generally cheap/free with plus but I just can't get along with the hardware enough - the sticks in particular. I also think it's hindered by a form of uncanny valley syndrome in that the games sort of look like PS3/360 quality but actually aren't when you get your hands on them. The closer they get to that quality, the more you notice the flaws. 3ds I know doesn't aim for that and so I lower my expectations accordingly and appreciate them for what they are. In fact the 3ds games are obv designed for that machine - the vitas are ports that I can play on more comfortable hardware.
    Vita has Tearaway though and that I adored. It's worth buying a vita just for this.

And lo, this proves my argument as the game was designed purely around the machines functions.
  • JonB wrote:
    ...the only Sony thing I've had is the PS1. That means there's quite a back catalogue of older stuff that'll be completely new to me.

Fuck me sideways, that's a no brainer then. I'm not au fait with which ps2 era games you can get on the Vita, but that console had the best line up of games ever. Maybe. I still think SNES was the best, but that may be a tinted view.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • No you're right, SNES is best.
  • Also, Disgaea sequels (I had the first one on DS). That's pretty good compensation for Fire Emblem lossage.
  • BURN HIM
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I saw this on Hotukdeals this morning. In the midst of some supreme fanboy action.

"The Xbox One is far quieter than the PS4 under load. According to Eurogamer's tests, when idling the reading was 42dB for both, but under load the Xbox One remained at 42dB while the PS4 rose to 53. A 10dB difference is approximately twice as loud in terms of perceived noise, due to decibels being a logarithmic scale. Anyone who's got an Xbox One that's much louder than a PS4 simply has a faulty console, because the Xbox One fan is considerably larger, shifts more air, and therefore spins slower."

I mean...totally fuck off!! Who gives that much of a shit about anything?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Digital Foundry seem to exist solely to serve that audience.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • three1ne wrote:
    I mean...totally fuck off!! Who gives that much of a shit about anything?

Me.  I was on the fence but it's defo PS4 for me now.
  • THE DECIBELS

THINK OF THE DECIBELS!
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I also give a fuck cos the loud fan from the ps4 is distracting and annoys me. Immersion breaking.
  • I seriously doubt that the PS4 fan is louder than the 20GB 360. Therefore no one should give a shit.
  • Vela wrote:
    Valkyria chronicles 2 (psp)

My main reason for buying & keeping a PSP.
    JonB wrote:
    Also, Disgaea sequels (I had the first one on DS). That's pretty good compensation for Fire Emblem lossage.

It lessens the sting for sure, but FE:Awakening is untouchable, imo, but you seem to be getting closer to what you want, so happy days, & there are fair few gems from the PS2 era, tho not sure how many are available on Vita as the machine many hoped would be a PS2 in your pocket does'nt seem to have the grunt to do straight PS2 ports for some reason.

Minecraft will be the game that makes me blow the dust of my Vita.
  • Shame really. Having a portable Ps2 would be amaze. God Hand on the train *swoons*.
  • indigo wrote:
    Shame really. Having a portable Ps2 would be amaze. God Hand on the train *swoons*.

Agreed, it is a shame, portable Ico & SOTC along with Resi 4, DQ8, Fantavision with a sprinking of Gregory Horror Show, would do more than make me swoon.
  • Aaaaaahhh.......Gregory Horror Show, now that was a great game. Lot's of fun.
  • Portable DMC3, God Hand, and Viewtiful Joe. I'll take that anyday.
  • I'd have thought those sorts of games would require too much focus to play anywhere out of the house.

I mostly want a handheld to be an RPG/Strategy game machine. Perhaps with a few explory things, like 2D Castlevanias. I'd rather save 3D fighty games for home on the TV.
  • JonB wrote:
    I'd have thought those sorts of games would require too much focus to play anywhere out of the house. I mostly want a handheld to be an RPG/Strategy game machine. Or maybe something explory like a 2D Castlevania. I'd rather save proper action games for home on the TV.

Either should do you then really.
  • Yeah, I think I'd be happy either way. Just seems I'll get more for the money with the Vita right now.
  • I can't reccomend one highly enough. I think you mentioned Disgaea, and you can play them all on the Vita.
  • The 3DS would be a great way to access any DS games you may have missed that might be dirt cheap on Ebay.  I picked up Rhythm Heaven and that 2D Aliens game for £4ish each recently.
  • I've still got an original DS, although the hinge is knackered after it got dropped. You have to sort of hold in position while you play. I can still play DQIX on it at least.
  • I don't think you can play any real PS2 games on the Vita. except any that got ported to PSP.

Saying that, persona 3 portable/ persona 4 golden would pretty much solve any hesitations you would have with the Vita. those two games are perfect for the handheld and take up to 60-70 hours each.
  • Vela wrote:
    Digital Foundry seem to exist solely to serve that audience.

Not solely. While I don't give a shit about which X is better than which Y, I do find the level of technical detail they provide about things pretty interesting.
  • I cannot think of a single thing to play that needs me to buy a Vita again. But now i have a PS4 i think i should have one.
    PSN - minkymu
  • So, I'm getting a Vita then. I pre-ordered the 'Adventure Pack' and thought I'd see if it came in stock soon enough. Just got an email to say it's there, so I reckon I'll go with it.

It's a pretty good deal for £160, seeing as it comes with Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Uncharted and a couple of others.

I'll probably grab another smallish memory card and Persona 4 too. That lot should keep me going for a good long while.
  • If I bought a Vita it would be for Tearaway. Looks pretty good.
  • Yeah, it's one of the non-RPG games that I thought looked interesting.

I'm actually getting more games now, since this memory card pack was hardly more expensive than the standalone card. I doubt I'll want all those games, but there's some solid stuff on it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!