BFBC2 FREE WITH GOLD. LETS SHOOT MOFOS.
  • Was it only snipes that could call in the strikes?

Think it's coming back to me now. 'Twas amazing.

I'ma holler at Grem and try and get mod back on board for this, methinks.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Like riding a bike.

Vietnam update sorts it.

First game in Arica Harbor Defense. 

Took a round to remember buttons.

Crouch right click analogue, back button to spot.

Too many (wannabe) snipers on D, not enough defending the objectives. But it still ended up being epic. Ended up with 30 kills and breaking even on K/D, led team in score.

Halfway to 30. 

First section was empty, lots of faffing about, but by the middle three sections, it was vintage. 

The audio is still epic. Visually, I think it still holds up excepetionally well. It was never the most HD uber detailed, but it always felt right. Lots of stuff, lots of movement, lots of distruction. 

Didn't get to knife any snipes, but I sure picked a few off. 

What a fucking game.
  • The other thing that shocked me is how much it forces teamwork. Ammo is in short supply. Armour need engineers doing repairs or are pretty useless. You'll want a med pack after most encounters, revives are essential after it gets properly intense around a crate. Motion sensors need to be regular and for that to happen the recon needs ammo.

Quite amazing how much they've thrown all that out since and really just turned the series into large scale COD.
  • Yep. Pretty much started and stayed assault the whole way through just to keep it simple, and I was still being handy with ammo drops. Our snipers and team in general less so with the spotting.

Could have done with some team oriented snipers. That beeping noise isn't good fuckhead.

Must mention recoil for anyone new to it, particularly coming from destiny. Even the most recoiling guns have nothing on some of the stuff in this. You need to learn to burst, and adjust etc.

The amount of thought and clever options throughout just one map is awesome. So many tricks and options.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    If I win the Euromillions I will commission Dice to do a HD remake.
  • This looks lovely on PC. Just sayin.
  • 16 v 16 though isn't it? That ain't going to work.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Face and Iain

Turn it in gents, I've got Orcs to kill and not enough time to kill 'em.
  • Yeah we go back every year to play an evening's worth of games only to never return. I'm not reinstalling, redownloading, to find out what we already know, a superior Battlefield title that shines a light on the flaws of where we are at now. Is Destiny MP that bad? winky smiley
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I've still got my hard copy of this and may even have all of the updates still installed. The issue is, as ever, finding the time to play.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm with webbo. Great game but I'm not downloading and all that shiz to get one night in.

@Iain
    I am very interested in what the lag is like. I can't remember it being too bad but I think BC2 used a hitscan method on bullets and a physics method on some other projectiles (RPG's and snipers IIRC).
    So it would be interesting to see if the move to physics for everything made a big difference in BF3.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • First and only guy that made me look at his gamer card was in the US, so there's the lag you'd expect from people playing across oceans. Matchmaking rather than letting players pick servers kept it reasonable though I thought. It was a bigger problem when the population started to decline, because if you left a server because of lag, you might not find another full one.

I'm really not sure about the bullet physics, there definitely was drop on a few things, but you could get kills at long range with some of the engineer guns.
  • I always felt there was more skill involved in sniping in BC2. Bullet drop felt more prominent, and the hit box for a marksmen kill less generous. It certainly feels more akin now to CoD's no skill no scope no gravity.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I can't connect to any games. What AM I doing wrong?
  • This needs an HD update more than we need Battlefield: Hardluck.
  • Whilst I was re-DLing Vietnam, I played the first 2 levels of SP. Still great fun with 10 times more character than any CoD.

Also: it's already in HD...
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I can't connect to any games. What AM I doing wrong?

I had to re-download Vietnam, then when I loaded up the game next it asked me to DL a 1.6gig game update.

• Fair play to Webbins and proper vets.

Totally understand not diving in again.

I came to the party late, so a revisit feels like unfinished business to me. So happy to see it still holds up so well.

Just looking through the different maps brought back memories. So many cracking maps.

Can't really think of any proper shit ones. All of them have some spectacular sections.

• Facewon wrote:
    I can't connect to any games. What AM I doing wrong?
    I had to re-download Vietnam, then when I loaded up the game next it asked me to DL a 1.6gig game update.

Hopefully it will work when I go back on then.
  • The game really did benefit from being designed from the ground up as a Rush game.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yep.

Seriously, I played one defense yesterday. And it feels like a coherant thing that I did. An event. With so many memories. had to stop after one because it was like an intense campaign level on a harder setting.

I mean the maps are just sooo good.

I still remember the first few game I got dropped into, just going fucking wow at the expanses and the view.

Arica Harbour was the very first. Spawned in the shipping crates at the end.

First time I saw the first objective on Aracaba Desert too. Wow.

I'm not even a big military shooter guy, I'm all about the SF, but this is so far ahead of everything else.

• Dante, if you go in solo and don't know wtf is happening, or it appears dudes are just faffing about, just stick it out.

Levelling up is handy, and games can evolve into good shit. Learn to mash the back button while you're looking around in the distance for enemies. (If you press back while you're looking at an enemy, it puts an icon on their head. Gives you points and helps the team. Great way to be useful even when you can't get a shot off.
  • Is that like spotting in Gears?

I'm not sure when I will get a chance to have a proper go on it, but I remember you extolling the virtues when playing Reach, so I imagine that I will like it.
  • I assume it's like that. basically, if you're whole team is constantly spotting enemies, and you have snipers dropping radars, you can see enemies coming like it's halo, and it makes life much easier.

Any time a team mate kills a guy you've spotted you get an assist. And when you use sniper class, every enemy that gets killed while picked up on your radar gets you assists too.

Like I say, think the same tactics as Invasion, but a whole game designed around that.

(Pro tip: you'll be asked if you want to join a squad when you enter any game, always say yes. you end up in Squads of 4, and you can then spawn on any one of your squad mates or at your team's spawn point. Allows for some really good tactics and getting into the action quickly.)

To give you an idea of scale: All of Boneyard from Reach is about the size of half the first section of some of the maps in BFBC2.

• Any other tips, BC vets?

Feel like Iain should be dropping the knowledge, as he is the daddy of this game.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I miss my drone with machine gun. I was a snipers worst nightmare.
  • heh. Hopefully get some attacking in tomorrow. been a while since I've droned it up.

• Remember the 'sniper class' can be bloody good up close recon, c4, shotgun and radar grenade.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!