Crusader Kings 2 - PC
  • My heir to the throne has been thrown in jail by the French and i've just discovered my next in line after him is gay.
  • Heir is now out of jail but no longer seems to have a little bloodline symbol. Not sure how many problems this will raise in the future
  • This is crazy. Really been battling here to stop civil war breaking out. I got into a dangerous cycle of locking up anyone who belonged to a faction, which just led to more people joining. I now have 44 prisoners, including almost all the land owners and their offspring (with perhaps 2 or 3 exceptions who fled abroad). Everyone hates me. Hopefully when i die that hatred won't carry over. Then my son, Richard, can take to the thrown, release the prisoners, and generally be seen as awesome. Alternatively i could just execute them all now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Revoke their titles and give them to your horse.
  • I have to say I'm enjoying reading about this game, I've neither the time nor patience to play it myself.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yup. Shame the Civ Civvy Civilization V thread seems to have dried up as a consequence though.
  • Civ is more intensely addictive, and on overall balance stiill my fave. There's no other game i can play for 24 hours straight. Absolutely loving this though, but as it's not really turn based (you speed up, slow down or pause time) it can be easy to break the immersion during periods of quiet by trying to fast forward to the next good bit. 

This may be the most mentally straining game i've ever played.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yep, there is always some little (or very big) shit scheming and conniving. And its normally a close relation. Got to be on your toes all the time.
  • The depth can be boggling. It's the planning of heirs and education that fucks with my mind, especially as it's linked to who you need to marry and figuring out who you need to assassinate and when in order to streamline a claim, what traits the child will inherit from the chosen parents, how that affects the title's you give them (for example, i always try to prevent 'ambitious' people from owning land, especially if it comes with a large army), who will educate them and for what future position in society will they be suited etc etc. And then to go through all that only for them to die 3 days later from pneumonia
  • Finally i died aged 73, which isn't bad. Severe stress was the given cause and not surprising at all considering what a nasty downward spiral i found myself in at the end. I must have lost close to 1000 piety and 2000 prestige during The Great Uprising. My son now inherits a year-zero type situation. I own every piece of land in England, except the churches, and there are 44 people in prison, most of whom are angry former land-owners. I'll have to give a lot away for the nation to function again, but at least i get to carefully select where the power lies. The plan is to only give landed titles to my sons or the husbands of those who agree to a matrilinial marriage with one of my daughters, so that the heir will be of my bloodline. 

Fortunately King Richard has not inherited his father's debts- which ran into the hundreds- or favour with elites. Their opinion of me had sunk to around -2200 by the end, mostly due to property seizures and executions, which had become commonplace. 

In short, my last reign was focused on deciding who to lock up (everyone), while this time i get to choose who i'm releasing. It's a welcome change, as anyone who looks like they might piss me of sometime in the future can rot in solitary confinement and i won't take any penalty as it was my father who imprisoned them.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Don't give land to your sons unless they are your heir, and especially not if they are ambitious. It makes them powerful, so when you die, the new you (the King is dead, long live the King etc) will have lots of pretenders to the crown, with landed titles and an army behind them.  They will also have been creating their own alliances as as soon as you give them land, you loose control over them.
  • Ha. Oh shit.

So what's the best way of dishing out this land? All to my son? My demesne size is 34, which is 28 more than i'm capable of maintaining.
  • I gave lots already to my gay brother, thinking there was no way he'd produce any offspring to inherit it, but his wife just gave birth. :(
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Well, if you hadn't locked everyone up and made everyone hate you I would have said give it to members of your court that like you, but that aren't ambitious and don't have any powerful alliances due to marriage or blood lines.  Basically you want your vassals to be weak yes men.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Your brother might be ok as long as he likes you. If you have lots of children he is way down on the list of heirs so has no real claim anyway, so is probably unlikely to cause problems.  If you have no heir, or only one, look for a knife in the back, and don't leave him in the same room as your son.
  • Well i've just had his wife killed so he can't spawn any more threats, so if he liked me before he definitely doesn't now. Hopefully him being gay will soften the blow.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Most def'enjoying this game vicariously.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Fuck. Totally forgot about Prince Alf, who's been in exile for 10 years. I killed his family but he managed to flee to France. He's allied to more of my noblemen than i am. It's saying he has a claim to my throne. No idea how he got that into his head. I can't even lock him up because i've no idea where he actually is. Perhaps i can invite him to court and then make my move. Although i also don't want to get into the same spiral as i did last time
  • Pulled a sneaky move. My bastard son is being a dick, ii suspect because he has deceitful, ambitious, and envious as traits. He was always the runt. So now he's been plotting, scheming and joining factions, i decided to make him a bishop-prince, which automatically disqualifies him from inheriting the crown. Hopefully this'll calm him down a bit.
  • So that all went wrong. I was slowly releasing the land i inherited as well as prisoners who liked me, but as soon as i'd released enough for them to form an army they did, led by the French and my bishop brother it seems. About a month into the war the king randomly dies, and so i take on the role of playing my son, who's 14. Then my council got wiped out because i forgot to tell them not to lead troops, and so now have a panel of retards setting the pace of progress. I just about held out for about 18 months by taking out loans and paying mercenaries, but in the end i was forced to surrender. Somehow my brother is now king. Think i might have fucked up. When i made him bishop-prince it definitely said something about him no longer being able to inherit the throne, so I presumed it meant he could not be king at all, but i'm guessing it just meant he had to capture it through war. 

I now get 1 gold per month and am based in Bedford. Just turned 16. No idea how to move forward from here. Made the controversial move of marrying a random with no status, so my prestige has taken a kicking, but she makes a very good steward. Bit of a risk though. She's 32, twice my age, and i really need a son. 

Sadly just discovered my laptop wont run this, so i won't be able to play it from tomorrow
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So, I finally captured all of the province of Aragon and Valencia and usurped the title of Duke of Valencia. I only had the province of Barcelona to go before I controlled every province in the kingdom of Aragon. 

As a celebration of my victories I decided to hold a grand tournament, inviting the greatest knights in the kingdom to take part. It seems I decided to take part to, and was killed in an accident the first day.

Due to the laws I had in place my holdings were inherited equally by my 3 sons, so my direct heir got the province of alto on the French Spanish border and the title The king of Aragon, but the duchies of Aragon and Valencia went to my other two sons, so they now have more holdings and bigger armies than me.

Now playing as by son, I have appointed my mother (previously my wife) as my spymaster. I was suspicious of my little brother son sent mother dearest to spy on him, and she uncovered a plot to overthrow me. I was going to wait until she had enough evidence so that I could arrest him without angering my other vassals (one of which is my other brother, with a strong claim to the crown). Once enough evidence was gathered I could arrest him and strip him of his titles with no penalties to me, and as he has no children I would inherit the titles.  Then I found out his wife was pregnant, so I had to move fast. I appointed him to my court, so he would be easier to arrest, then locked him up and had him executed as soon as I could. Everyone hates me now and sees me as a tyrant. I think there will be a few revolts in my provinces, and likely a few outside nobles trying to take advantage of my weakness and press their own claims for my territory.
  • Haha. Nice. 

I miss this. My final game for quite a while ended horribly. I started as the King of England and ended as the baron of some obscure county in Norway.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Drunk dialling Crusader Kings, "thirty quid, lad?" hung up before they answered.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Picked this up with a shed load of dlc during a steam paradox weekend sale.  I'm still working it out and have been playing on tutorial island (ireland) for the most part and having a lot of fun.  I'm trying to create a united britannic empire but trying to keep everything together whilst expanding onto mainland britain is proving a serious challenge.  I'm currently trying to get the title of my celibate, childless leader who took over when his brother died in a hunting accident.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    An "accident"? Don't forget about trying to push through laws about inheritance or you might end up back to square one when you pop your cloggs, like I did.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Thought I was in the work thread for a second.
  • The more i understand of this the better it gets. There's even joy to be had when shit goes massively wrong. I recently formulated a gameplan which almost worked. I was King of Leon, had 1 sister, and a quarter of what is now Spain as my territory. My strategy was to focus on developing my marshal skills and conquer all the lands between myself and Barcelona. Meanwhile, my sister and heir would marry the second in line to inherit the Byzantine empire, knowing that first in line to the throne was old, ugly and single, and therefore likely to pass on titles to my brother-in-law instead. When he in turn died, and presuming i had died by this point too, his son (my nephew) would inherit the entire Byzantine Empire in addition to all the titles i conquered in Spain. 

It looked to be working perfectly. I was staying single, amassing titles, and then gifting any which took me over my demesne limit to my sister. I amassed a lot of money, which i then redistributed among my vassals to keep them happy at the sweeping changes which were being made to the legal system. Crown authority was upped significantly and taxes were raised, but sharing out the spoils of war kept factions at bay. As hoped for, my sister had a son to inherit all my (and her) titles when we died. 

So i summoned all my troops for one final fight to the death against the Sunnis occupying southern Spain. I would grab as much land as i could before getting killed, and then carry on the game as my ageing sister to make further preparations for Prince Code inheriting combined realms, and then fully conquering Spain with the backing of a giant army. Everything seemed set in place, but then some cunt in the Byzantine Empire changed the succession laws shortly before my brother-in-law died, so none of that got passed onto my heir. Worse still, my sister had 3 more kids in relatively quick succession, so now the land she was holding would be distributed evenly amongst them when she died. I was unable to change my own succession laws to counter this due to being locked into war with the Sunnis, who had called in reinforcements and were crushing me. In the end i was killed, my sister took over, then she got smallpox and died. I'm now playing as her son, as planned, but instead of inheriting the second largest empire in Europe, most of Spain and untold wealth, i've inherited the Canaries and Zaragoza, a few angry vassals, no money, and greedy landed siblings.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!