Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm playing the long game and boshing out kids all over Europe. Got 5 already and i'm only 30. Reckon there might be a few more incubating.

Yeah but what about the game?
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    CK2 is a total time sink.  I've sunk a couple of hundred hours into it and love it.
    I think the first 30 hours were spent trying to understand it.

The Old Gods DLC is very much worth the money if you enjoy playing as vikings and doing the whole invading stuff.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • So this is great, even though i've obviously still got a lot to learn. 

Got 4 sons and 4 daughters, all young. My youngest daughter is to marry a Scottish prince when she's of legal age, so until then and in preparation she is being educated by my most gifted spymaster and gaining valuable traits at a faster rate than anyone in my bloodline. 

Duke of Hereford's been giving me some problems. I had his infant son smothered which led to him plotting against me, so i've thrown the remainder of his family in jail and am working to get him banished from the realm. Solitary confinement for all. 

Can noblemen be killed in battle? If so, i might just appoint my worst enemies as head of my weakest armies.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I have captured and killed opposing noble men. You can ransom them to apparently. A king is worth 225 gold.

• Arranged a marriage for the Duke of Hereford. He's to wed my frail mother-in-law. That'll teach him.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    How do you appoint leaders to your armies? When going to battle I get beaten easily because they seem to have 3 forces (same rough manpower as me though) where as I have 1 large one so I think I get out flanked.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Careful with who you arrange marriages with. You don't want to give him extra prestige if you don't like him.
  • I'm a bit confused about combat, too, and there's lots i'm unsure about. But when you click an army there's are three little squares above each of the positions where you can appoint a leader for each. I lead my largest army in person.
  • Careful with who you arrange marriages with. You don't want to give him extra prestige if you don't like him.

Yea, i don't enter anyone into anything unless i'm making a net gain. Or at least that's how i'm playing now. I might have gone a bit mad last night. Promising the Bishop he could take my 14 year old daughter's virginity may have been a mistake.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, I've seen the little pictures, same as the pictures you click when arranging a marriage, right? It just seems to do nothing when I press them though. I wonder if I need certain people in my court?

Also do you know anything about upgrading your buildings? That is supposed to be a good idea.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    With your daughters try and make it so the wear the trousers (I can't remember the option, but the one where any offspring are of you lineage, not the fathers)
  • Hmm. You're still talking about getting a military leader? It's always worked for me.

I've done a bit of building upgrades. It's slow and expensive. I've spent most of my money creating land titles to boost my prestige.

Just realised i have 18 political prisoners. Think i got a bit carried away. It's very easy to lock up women and children when the husband's no longer around. I'm enjoying 95% successful abduction rates.
  • With your daughters try and make it so the wear the trousers (I can't remember the option, but the one where any offspring are of you lineage, not the fathers)

Yea i saw that, but nobody seem's interested.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You can tick a box when looking at potential grooms. It fillters out all the ones that aren't interested.
  • Oh i didn't realise. Is there a way to filter the whole of Europe? I seem only to see my vassals.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I seem to get everyone if I click on the wedding ring icon. If I go via the diplomacy button and "arrange marriage/betrothal" option I get a much more limited selection.
  • Nice one. Yea that's much better. Seems i've arranged a lot of marriages which weren't really on favourable terms. Thinking of starting again again as i've made a lot of mistakes so far. Should've killed my wife much, much sooner and diversified my portfolio of children. Also should have set myself a prestige target as i've found that rather easy to hit, but instead i went for the one about learning, and i've no idea how to even improve that. But my biggest mistake was locking up all the landowners and heirs as it's crippled my army and left all my advisors hating me. I now have 18 wealthy political prisoners which i can't release because the weight of them wanting revenge will destroy me. I can't even execute them because the pope will start kicking off. 

Is there a way to get involved in the plots of others? I see a bunch of people are after the Duke of Kent and i'd like to get involved without taking on the task wholly myself.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No idea about that, but I have discovered duchies. On the map options you can select de jure duchies, dejure kingdoms and de jure empires. If you hold over 50% of one you can claim the title, so duke, king, emperor etc. Which gives you a massive prestige boost. Worth targeting them when expanding.
  • Suddenly it makes so much more sense. 

They should have put you in charge of making the tutorial.
  • I got told i built the wrong type of city earlier. My demense (?) also got lower and i had to give away some landed titles. Do you know how to increase it?
  • Doesn't look like the game allows you to force incest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No idea, building and upgrading is a foreign language to me.
  • I'm finding the family tree aspect to this a lot more engaging than the nations of EU4. It's a shame the games can't integrate and run concurrently.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've been usurped, mother fucker! I was the King of Aragon, and had taken all the territories in the kingdom. I had married my sister off to the king of Leon and she was due to inherit both kingdoms. Then I get usurped! I am now the prince of Aragon. No idea how it happened or what I could have done to stop it.
  • Totally hooked now. William the Conqueror makes a nice starting character. Is there anyone of historical significance i should watch out for? Had an idea that i could become the guardian of a future rival and totally ruin both their education and future prospects. 

Decided my first born son doesn't have especially good traits. He'll need to be killed at some point. My longer term strategy will be to get my daughter Constance the crown, as she's being tutored from a very young age, but that will require changing succession laws.
  • Can't help you i'm afraid. Better get plotting. At least you're not in jail.
  • This sounds amazing.

Didn't @Nexx tell me there was a Game of Thrones mod for it, for those so inclined?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    t's mystifyingly complex, but incredibly addictive. You need to be so manipulative and think so far ahead. 

You could, for example, offer to be the guardian for a freindly Kings heir, you could then betroth your daughter to the second inline, on the condition that any children are of her lineage, and then plot to assassinate the first heir, which should be easy now you have him under your roof.
  • Oh this is glorious. I involved too many people in my plot to kill Edwin of Hereford so he formed a faction with support from both the Duke of York and Count Robert of Leicester, who have sizable armies. I thought i'd won back their favour by stripping him of his titles and awarding them to his backers, but this only broadened support for his cause. With almost 60% of the military under their control i would have been crushed, so i had no other choice but to take out a loan of 300 to pay for his assassination. Which somehow worked.
  • It was specifically mentioned that i was loaned that money by Jews. I now have the option to expel the Jews.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!