What's Fun About Difficulty?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sega were at their best with Streets of Rage. One of the finest series to have ever graced videogames.
  • Oh no not that again.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Don't make me get atheist on your arse.
  • Feel free to do so, just don't bring up that Halo shit again either.
  • SOR2 is miles better than Final Fight.  Not even a contest for me.
  • SoR2 has a killer soundtrack. I love it. One of my favourites. <3 Koshiro
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Die Hard Arcade is untrumpable.

• Koshiro is going back on the mp3 player for next week.

Die Hard Arcade was great fun but an extremely short-lived experience. From memory it was under half an hour long. Enjoyed the sequel too, was one of the early Japanese DC game my sister's ex owned (Dynamite Cop? Dynamite Dekka?)
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Terry Cavanagh is my hero.
    Yes.
    Even his Flappy Bird game was brilliant.

• Its a strange mix for me, but here's a good example. When I bought Fire Emblem Awakening I was terrified of selecting the wrong difficulty setting at the beginning. I didn't want to breeze through what I had enjoyed to be a taxing series. I picked Hard and ended up with exactly the right balance. Forgive the ignorance but I don't really see the appeal of the genre if you're going to stick a tactical thing like this on easy and blitz through it.

I like games that are a challenge in the right circumstances, I like a challenge not an endurance test. F-Zero was mentioned earlier. It wouldn't have been the same if the difficulty was subdued. Half the appeal for me was how it actually managed to get my pulse racing mastering those story missions, the thrill of victory etc.

What I get tired with is upping the difficulty though means of making it more of a slog. COD and the like. RPG's are also a main offender, I hate the idea of grinding to be able to beat something. I really enjoyed FFXII's gambit system, it felt like I could pretty much take anything having tweaked my party. I never felt like I had to waste my time and five dozens of enemies just to be able to take boss X out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dogfingers wrote:
    I like games that are a challenge in the right circumstances, I like a challenge not an endurance test. F-Zero was mentioned earlier. It wouldn't have been the same if the difficulty was subdued. Half the appeal for me was how it actually managed to get my pulse racing mastering those story missions, the thrill of victory etc.

F-Zero X was balanced - it still has the seat of your pants feel but is just that bit more forgiving. I had no problem with the story mode being that tough in GX - it was the GP mode that pissed me off. I have completed 4 cups on normal but the difficulty just cranks up too much on expert which I was able to handle on X - given time I reckon I could do it though.

But the bloody thing then expects me to beat all cups on master level before unlocking the AX tracks - that's a bit extreme.

Now - the difference may well be me being older and having less time to invest. Not sure.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The harder levels of CoD4 are really fucking hard but you're rarely more than 30seconds from a checkpoint.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • davyK wrote:
    Dogfingers wrote:
    F-Zero X was balanced - it still has the seat of your pants feel but is just that bit more forgiving. I had no problem with the story mode being that tough in GX - it was the GP mode that pissed me off. I have completed 4 cups on normal but the difficulty just cranks up too much on expert which I was able to handle on X - given time I reckon I could do it though. But the bloody thing then expects me to beat all cups on master level before unlocking the AX tracks - that's a bit extreme. Now - the difference may well be me being older and having less time to invest. Not sure.

I did it back in the day, the only thing I never did on that game was unlock the taxi character
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Dogfingers wrote:
    I did it back in the day, the only thing I never did on that game was unlock the taxi character

I got him, but only because I found an arcade with the AX machine and took my GC memory card with me. The old school equivalent of microtransactions, I suppose.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!