The Dogfingers Video Game Music Quiz: That's Totally Boss
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Gutted I didn't get 2, spent long enough there.
    Probably even danced to it.
  • JonB wrote:
    THE ANSWERS 1. Contra 3/Super Probotector [SNES] Stage 4 Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers, retroking1981 2. Mass Effect 2 [360/PS3/PC] Club Afterlife music Dubs  3. Populous [Amiga] Title music 4. The Last of Us [PS3] Main theme Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers, Dubs, TheDJR, hylian_elf 5. Pokémon Red/Blue [Gameboy] Title music Dogfingers, Dubs, TheDJR, retroking1981, hylian_elf 6. No More Heroes [Wii] Bad Girl boss Dubs  7. R-Type [Arcade] Boss music Dubs 8. The Revenge of Shinobi [Megadrive] Stage 2.2 Moot_Geeza, retroking1981 9. Bayonetta [360/PS3] Level select screen Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers, Dubs, TheDJR, hylian_elf 10. Streetfighter 2 Turbo [SNES] E. Honda stage Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers, Dubs, retroking1981, hylian_elf 11. Final Fantasy VII [PS1] Cait Sith’s theme Dogfingers, TheDJR, hylian_elf 12. International Superstar Soccer Deluxe [SNES] Title music 13. Shadowman [N64/PS1] Playrooms stage 14. Super Monkey Ball [GC] Jungle levels Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers, Dubs 15. Speedball 2 [Amiga] Title music Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers  16. Outrun [Arcade] Magical Sound Shower, of course Moot_Geeza, Dubs, retroking1981 17. Bastion [360] In-game music Dogfingers, hylian_elf 18. Dynamite Headdy [Megadrive] Twin Freaks boss Moot_Geeza  19. Wonderboy [Arcade] Main in-game music Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers 20. Wild Arms [PS1] Title music Moot_Geeza, Dogfingers, TheDJR

I knew I'd played 17, but I never once considered that game, so I'm happy.  13 is a million miles away from where I was in my head, and I don't think I played it enough to remember any music (just remember liking Jaunty).  Thought I'd cracked it with World of Goo :)
  • 13 was too obscure in retrospect, but it's such a fucked up piece of music I thought someone else may have remembered it. The drilling and child screaming bit has clearly stayed with me.
  • I'm all for the occasional obscure choice to balance the difficulty, was a good quiz.
  • I haven't played most of them, so I did unsurprisingly badly. Astounded that I didn't get number 2 and I knew 15 was familiar but just couldn't place it.
  • Haha fucking 2, jesus, one of my favorite games of last gen and I ballsed it. No idea why I thought I knew 3, I only played that on the Mega Drive. Really enjoyed been on the other side of it. Though I'm 90% way through another one and I've had to scrub Pokemon off, so CHEERS MATE :). Great stuff.

I'll ensure my third one (and last for a while, I'm having balancing issues without making it stupidly obvious) doesn't go up too quickly, I'll pop it up next week. Don't want to burn everyone out.
  • It was nobody getting R-Type that surprised me. I even thought about cutting off the little intro bit because I thought it was such a giveaway.

Anyway, I enjoyed doing it, and wouldn't mind doing another somewhere down the line. If I can think of another 20 memorable tunes.
  • Yeah it gets canny hard, I'm trying to steer away from repeating game series
  • No idea why I didn't get 12. Played that so much back in the day. 

I now want to play Wild Arms after hearing that music.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Thanks for that, Jon. Hadn't played any of the ones I didn't get so I'm happy with that.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I now want to play Wild Arms after hearing that music.
    It'd be very dated now I'd imagine, in terms of the RPG mechanics. Best just watch the intro on YT.
  • Hello Lads and significantly fewer lasses, here is my last one for a bit, once again PM me the answers I'll leave it up for about a week. Why don't you have a blast? It's a bit easier than the others.

There's nothing too obscure on here, so hopefully it will be high-score galore.

HAPPY LISTENING COMRADES

Obviously after this is done others are free to chip in with their own conundrums (would be nice if you could leave horror stuff alone so I can do me Halloween Special in October)
  • The pic for number 9 is the best so far.  19 sounds like a cheaply made 80s Aussie TV drama. 

Also, this one is harder than the others.  FYI.
  • 6 and 18 are the only ones I recognise instantly.

A few others sound familiar, but most I just don't know at all.
  • Just 12, 13 and 16 for me. I'm not very good at this.
  • Erm. I only recognised 7, 8, and 11. Maybe 19. 

This is the hardest yet.
  • Top Score so far is 4. Collaboratively you've done well. If your answers are right
  • Extra kudos points for the timely thread name change.
  • JonB wrote:
     4. The Last of Us [PS3] Main theme
     6. No More Heroes [Wii] Bad Girl boss
    7. R-Type [Arcade] Boss music
    9. Bayonetta [360/PS3] Level select screen 12. International Superstar Soccer Deluxe [SNES] Title music 14. Super Monkey Ball [GC]]

Should have got these really, have played and completed them all.

7! R-Type! That really done my head in. Don't know why I thought I knew 3, never played it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 1,3,4,5,9,12,14,15,17 remain to be snapped up by anyone.
  • A new challenger has entered the fray and snapped up numbers 1 and 14
  • Its clue-ageddon time

3,4,5,9,12,15,17 remain, and in this rowdy bunch are 2 RPG's, a beat'em up, an adventure game, 2 FPS's, and a scrolling shooter
  • 12 seems so familiar. Seems like something I've heard a lot. But I'm not going to go looking for it, seeing as I've already stumbled across one of the others accidentally by going on Youtube.
  • If the penny doesn't drop for 1 and 12, I can't see myself getting any more.
  • Just listened to all again and 9 and 15 so familiar.
  • Skondo wrote:
    Just 12, 13 and 16 for me. I'm not very good at this.

Um....having checked I am mistaken, I don't in fact know number 12. Not what I thought it was.
  • THE ANSWERS:

1. Duke Nukem 3D (Mal0wner)
    2. Lemmings (Dubs, Mal0wner)
    3. Mortal Kombat
    4. Mass Effect 3
    5. Maniac Mansion
    6. Toejam and Earl (Dubs, Retroking, JonB, Moot_Geeza)
    7. SFIV (Dubs, Hylian elf, Retroking, Moot_Geeza
    8. Chrono Trigger (Dubs, Hylian elf, Retroking, JonB
    9. Bioshock (Hylian elf
    10. Double Dragon (Dubs, Retroking)
    11. Geometry Wars 2 (Dubs, Hylian elf)
    12. Fire Emblem
    13. Little Big Planet (Dubs)
    14. The Chaos Engine (Mal0wner)
    15. Battlefield 1942
    16. Fable 2 (Dubs)
    17. Commando
    18. Golden Axe (Retroking, JonB, Moot_Geeza)
    19. Mariokart 8 (Dubs, Hylian elf, Retroking)
    20. Virtua Fighter (Moot_Geeza)

The winner, with 9 points...its DUBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBs

Thanks for playing folks
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I only got TJ&E. Weep for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!