The Dogfingers Video Game Music Quiz: That's Totally Boss
  • Should I??? It certainly sounds extremely familiar.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Can't say whether you should or shouldn't, just noticed it was on the tip of your tongue yesterday :).
  • QUIZ IS SHUT

Answers are being tallied and results will be posted in 10 minutes
  • Elf fail. Only got 6. :(
  • I got 6 but I only listened to 3 of the tracks.
  • Everyone who had a bash thanks for playing, it really was quite tough. I like to mix them up a bit. Me and the lady like to do other peoples quizzes on Youtube sometimes and its a bit frustrating as they are all either one genre or mostly geared towards a specific console. As you can probably tell by the choices I struggle with Sony and PC ones having never really explored those formats much. But overall, well done.

Here's the answers and who got them:

1 Doom [Retroking, Escape, Moot_Geeza, Dubs]

2 Punch Out NES [Retroking, Escape, Moot_Geeza]

3 Cannon Fodder [Retroking, Hylian_Elf, Escape, JonB, Moot_Geeza, Dubs, TheDJR]

4 The Wolf Among us [TheDJR]

5 Dark Souls [Hylian_Elf, Escape, JonB, TheDJR, Dubs]

6 Jet Set Willy [Escape]

7 Micro Machines 2 [Retroking, Moot_Geeza]

8 Shenmue [Retroking, Escape, Moot_Geeza, Dubs]

9 Team Fortress 2 [Moot_Geeza, Dubs]

10 Xenoblade Chronicles [Hylian_Elf, JonB]

11 Diablo [Escape]

12 F-Zero SNES [Retroking, Escape, JonB, Moot_Geeza, Dubs]

13 Silent Hill [Hylian_Elf, Escape, Moot_Geeza]

14 Treasure Island Dizzy [Escape]

15 Castlevania SotN [Retroking, Hylian_Elf, Escape, JonB, Dubs, TheDJR]

16 Time Splitters 2 [Hylian_Elf, post quiz]

17 Streets of Rage [Retroking, Hylian_Elf, Escape, JonB, Moot_Geeza]

18 Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask [Dubs, TheDJR]

19 Perfect Dark [Retroking, Escape, Moot_Geeza, Dubs, TheDJR]

20 Guardian Heroes [Moot_Geeza]

Which means...

In joint 3rd place is RetroKing and Dubs with a remarkable score of [9]

In second with a maginicent [11] is Moot_Geeza

And the winner with a preposterously great score of [13] is.....
    ESCAPE

(cue flashing lights, fireworks etc)

You are the grand winner of the 2nd Dogfingers Music Quiz, Moot.....would you reveal the prize please......
  • Fuck me, how did I not get 12 or 18???
  • Erm, Dubs didn't get 5? Surely a mistake.
  • Dubs loses just for that. 

Edit: no he doesn't, Dogfingers loses. 

Still can't get 16. Time splitters???
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Erm, Dubs didn't get 5? Surely a mistake.

Edited, I fucked up
  • Dammit, shoulda got 9. TF2.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dubs loses just for that.  Still can't get 16. Time splitters???

Stick a 2 on that bad boy and you've smashed it
  • Ah yes, was gonna say 2 but wasn't confident.

Edit: the original was ps2 only???  Didn't know that.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I got 6 but I only listened to 3 of the tracks.

Bono screaming at an African child has Silent Hill written all over it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Dogfingers wrote:
    I struggle with Sony and PC ones

Those are my specialities. I'm weak on music from the last generation, post-16-bit RTSes and RPGs, and Nintendo games since the DS and Wii.

4 The Wolf Among us

Heard it before, but I haven't played it.

7 Micro Machines 2

Bugger! I listened to the Road Rashes (slashes), the Maddens, NHLs and Strikes. Various other EA games from the early-'90s, and both Micro Machines and Micro Maniacs.

9 Team Fortress 2

Neither heard nor played. I tried the Crazy Taxis and Jet Sets, along with the Earthworm Jims and a few other 'quirkies' from the Mega Drive and Dreamcast.

It's a bit similar to Bone Wagon from Grim, but I knew it wasn't Road Rash: Jailbreak or Full Throttle.

10 Xenoblade Chronicles

There's a bit of the Caliburs and Dragoons about it, but I soon figured it was from a JRPG, I don't play 'em, and they sound as alike as myriad Horneresque war scores. I listened to some tracks from the Chronos, and ended up guessing it was from Fantasies VII to XIII.

16 Time Splitters 2

Not only did I enjoy the game, I listened to the fiddlin' soundtrack to check it wasn't in there! It must've been missing from the playlist. Also, I discounted it too early because of Perfect Dark's proximity.

18 Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

The game I should've played instead of Ocarina of Time, but didn't. As the best theme, I should've remembered.

20 Guardian Heroes

I tried Boogie Wings, the Slugs and Contras, and plenty of shmups. I've always meant to play it.
  • I haven't played seventeen of those games, but I did get two of the three that I have. How I missed JSW I just don't know.
  • Don't know why I didn't say Jet Set Willy for 6. I though it at one point then decided it wasn't.

Like Escape, I could've sworn 7 was an EA game on Megadrive. Listened to the Hockeys, Maddens etc. on YT, to no avail.

I think overall though I've only played 4 or 5 that I didn't get, and all of those too long ago to have any recollection of the music, so was never really going to do that well.

Nice work though, Dogfingers. How difficult is it to put one of these together BTW?
  • 6 I knew was a quirky old game, closest I got was Leisure Suit Larry.

13 I should have got, disappointed with this one.

14 Sounded very familiar, was thinking Master System and some sort of awards ceremony. In hindsight its obvious to the ears its a Codemasters game.

Haven't played the others so I'm happy overall.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Glad I didn't submit my answers as I only got 6:

5 Dark Souls [Hylian_Elf, Escape, JonB, TheDJR, Dubs]

8 Shenmue [Retroking, Escape, Moot_Geeza, Dubs]

9 Team Fortress 2 [Moot_Geeza, Dubs]

10 Xenoblade Chronicles [Hylian_Elf, JonB]

13 Silent Hill [Hylian_Elf, Escape, Moot_Geeza]

15 Castlevania SotN [Retroking, Hylian_Elf, Escape, JonB, Dubs, TheDJR]

And out of them I wasn't sure which Silent Hill and Castlevania games they were so would have had to guess.

Good fun, much appreciated. Need to go back and listen again now, not sure how I missed Cannon Fodder, Streets of Rage and Doom.
  • I've never played Team Fortress 2, but in the run-up to release I was trying to convince myself that it could be the game to tempt me back online, so I watched almost all of the numerous preview vids. 

Jet Set Willy doesn't make me facepalm as I only ever played it once. 

Escape's prize, PM your address pls:

Spoiler:

This was taken by the guy who made the bead sprite art.  I reckon the bottle I've put it in is bit more Zelda-y.  Got one on display in the nursery to go with the Sega stuff that's allowed on the walls.
  • Wait, people check soundtracks to see where they could be from?!!?! I'm only trying to go by memory. Too much effort to check up soundtracks.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Wait, people check soundtracks to see where they could be from?!!?! I'm only trying to go by memory. Too much effort to check up soundtracks.
    I didn't go around checking loads of soundtracks, no. Just when I had a specific idea, checked it on YT first to see if it was right to avoid wasting time. I actually felt it would be cheating to do more than that.
  • Youtube to confirm a guess is fine imo, it's how I made the natural progression from Goldeneye to Perfect Dark.  Knew I'd heard it, was convinced it was Goldeneye, Youtube proved me wrong, tried Perfect Dark immediately after.  Bob's your uncle.
  • I thought it was the Faculty theme at first.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Oh god I hate this.  I've played 1, but it won't click.... I think I know 2... everyone should know 3. Certain I've heard 7 but can't place it either, likewise 9.  12 is another one I'm going to kick myself when I hear... 13 is really familiar too. Pretty sure I know 14, so I guess I only have 2.  I literally cannot wait for the answers.

So turns out I did know 1 (Doom), 2 (Punch Out) and 3 (Cannon Fodder), but I don't think I'd ever played 7 (Micro Machines 2) and I've only played 9 (Team Fortress 2) about twice. 

I got 12 eventually (F-Zero), 13 (Silent Hill) I played through once when it came out, so I doubt I would have guessed.  14 (Treasure Island Dizzy) I thought was Fantasy World Dizzy for some reason, so I'm awarding myself 4 post-quiz points.  Hurrah!
  • I have no problem with youtube use at all for clarification
  • Was good fun, you gonna do them regular?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah I'll knock one out towards middle end of August,
  • Middle end?? So is that the middle of the end of August? Or end of the middle? How long are the sections of the month, 10 days?
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Yeah I'll knock one out towards middle end of August,
    What kind of wizardry is involved exactly? Just wondering if it's within my capabilities to do it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!