Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hullo Billy; when you say you didn't rate it, you mean it should sound better than that?  Is there an ideal solution that isn't commercially available?  From light reading I understand that surround headphones with multiple drivers don't really work given how close they are to the ear and that software surround is better, but I unno nothing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I'm yet to play a game that truly gets the FPS weapon audio correct. The sound you hear when firing a weapon in very different to the sound you hear standing close to it or especially being down range from it. Firing a rifle for example, where your head is millimetres from or actually touching the body of the rifle, you hear only a fraction of bang and crack of the round and gas leaving the weapon. You hear the bolt and firing mechanisms moving inside the weapon, the rounds being ejected and picked up and more than anything you are aware of your own breathing. I'm yet to play a game that gets this right. Battlefield 4s' audio is very good at recreating the sound of effective fire. You can clearly hear the difference between the general gunfire all around and those rounds which are coming at you. As a general rule general rule if you hear the crack get your head down, if you hear the boom then get your belt buckle on the ground!
  • the unity plugin just released in apha form on the forums only gve you 5 sources but it sounds mindblowing
  • Just ordered a DSS2! I'm terribly excited...

£30 quids from CeX, don't know if it includes an optical cable, I've emailed them.
  • The DSS2 has changeable speaker position settings to account for differing ear/head shapes, this youtuber's done some comparison vids -

And this sounds pretty good to my ears -

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Bojangles wrote:
    if you hear the boom then get your belt buckle on the ground!
    You mean drop your pants?  Is the boom explosive diarrhoea?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • So my impressions of the DSS2 so far are very good, it's certainly a massive improvement on stereo, definitely a useful and useable solution for surround sound. The strength of the immersion seems to be quite game dependent. Ni No Kuni has been the best I've tried so far, utterly lush and damn near perfect.

Also my awesome pal just got me The Last Of Us for my birthday. :D
  • Man I was loving The Last of Us I got about 3 hours in and it is a sublime audio aesthetic.  I even had the 2 sound designers that work with me play it for a day for reference. But as it's getting a PS4 makeover I can't help but put it on hold in order to play the uber quality version. Apparently it's getting some audio loving, can't wait.

@Skerret I meant that from the demos I played (low bit rate stuff online) it didn't sound great, I'm sure it sounds better in realtime but I know there's no holy grail for 3D audio for 2 speakers/headphones.

@bojangles yea I know why you mean, gun audio is extremely difficult to make good.  It's easy to make things loud but you can just turn very everything up, you need dynamic range in order to appreciate the quiet and loud moments.  HDR audio lets us have those loud and quiet moments while maintaining a consistent convenient listening volume for living room/headphones.  Ever watched a dvd and needed to turn the volume up for all the dialogue but down for all the action?  Most films are mixed for cinema where the volume is high, there are no neighbours and little background noise. Sadly for most at home watching a feature like Tron Legacy (for example) involves riding the levels!  HDR allows us to reduce that need, but it doesn't allow us to feel like we are firing the gun with the stock against our cheek.

I've fired lots of guns and recorded loads too, it's a learning experience with no hard rules.  1/3 of the mics I use for a weapon recording session capture useless rubbish, another 1/3 is good useable material, the final 1/3 is gold.  Maybe it's less than a 1/3 that is gold actually, point is it's very difficult to know what will and won't work, and how they can be combined in post to produce a satisfying gun sound.

Mic theory says you should use your highest SPL mics for very close recordings like 1m, 50cm of even attached to the gun. Or the shooter lapel style.  A variety of mid spl omnis and fun mics make up the mud range, when I say fun mics I mean handheld recorders like an olympus ls5 or camcorders with built in mics, they give auto gain compensation settings that give an amazingly fat result like we are used to hearing on documentary footage. They work great on guns.

For further away a combination of shotgun mic'd and omnis, depending if you want a more directional focussed distant firing sound, or if you'd prefer the more open sound of some omnis with more of the environment.

For a well balanced 1st person experience all those elements have to be well balanced, and as you say not many get it right.  Usually there's too much distance between where the source should be and where the gun SOUNDS like its coming from.  I.e. It's supposed to be 1st person 0 distance iron sights, but actually it sounds 3 meters away. Or when you aren't iron sighting it should very close but sound games put it at 10-15ft. Purely because of the source available to them.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Guess I went off on one there, ahh gun audio how I love thee. A 3 part magazine entry in the Observer would not be enough to satiate my appetite for bangs and whizz's.
  • Another totally excellent post there Billy, thanks again! Meant to reply an age ago, but I've been under an avalanche of coursework, dug myself out now thankfully. Now I can start work on building up a portfolio and honing me audio design skillz.
  • For a well balanced 1st person experience all those elements have to be well balanced, and as you say not many get it right.  Usually there's too much distance between where the source should be and where the gun SOUNDS like its coming from.  I.e. It's supposed to be 1st person 0 distance iron sights, but actually it sounds 3 meters away. Or when you aren't iron sighting it should very close but sound games put it at 10-15ft. Purely because of the source available to them.

This was something I noticed in The Last Of Us (and a few other games), quite often the character's voices would sound really too close to you in relation to the game environment and distance. This was with sound going through my DSS2 into my headphones mind, the mix would of been designed mostly for yer 5.1 speakers in a room I guess. Hopefully game devs will keep in mind that people will be playing on surround headphones in the future.

The sound in TLOU was really incredible generally though, best sound in a game I've played yet, in technical terms at least. I really love that it had proper dynamic range options in the settings, was really nice having it on max with my headphones.

Just started Okami last night. Goddamn the music and sound are good!
  • Oooerr just randomly came across this when reading stuff related to one of my fave VSTs, Slick HDR -

http://designingsound.org/2013/06/finding-your-way-with-high-dynamic-range-audio-in-wwise/

Not read it fully yet, looks interesting.
  • Fair play with regard to TLOU and the VO feeling too close i.e. recorded in a booth with a vocal mic and then played back in game. Getting a close mic recording and playing it back in the world further away will not get rid of the characteristics of the close mic recording, unless the engine is designed to do as such (most aren't).  It's great you are noticing that stuff now, i wasn't able to pin point why audio sounded strange in tv programs and games that didn't do that well for years.

Great sounding game though TLOU :)

FYI if you don 't want to occasionally spend a night at work on the sofa then games might not be the one... i'm staying at the office tonight and i miss my wife and kid but i have a sofa in my room so its fairly comfy.  Games dev is not easy :P
  • To be fair I wouldn't do it if the game I'm working on wasn't cool :)
  • The Nightmare on Elm Street prequel made excellent use of that. Freddy's voice is really close mic'd and nothing else is.

As for gun audio, fuck gun audio. All the pistols and rifles I've heard sound shit in real life. Only a shotgun in a corridor sounded good.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Since buying that Zoom H1 I've a new respect for the fuckers that get ambient audio for films. I've been going out and setting it up for half an hour in various places. City noise is easy enough but wind though trees or waves against the beach and there's always some cunt making a noise somewhere. A plane, a car, a fucking lawnmover two miles away that you're hoping it won't pick up or some twat blasting out "I Predict a Riot" from the Glastonbury coverage.
  • The agents of THWART are predominant in the south of England and will try and stop any attempts to get good recordings.
  • Fucking dogs are the worst.
  • Dogs are on level pegging with Australians for me right now. A couple of incidents have thrown the averages way off.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Fair.
  • Aussies are only slightly ahead of Spaniards and lawnmowers right now. I haven't done much ambient recording so it's all one or two interruptions.

Don't think this means you're not on the shitlist tho.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll keep my head down.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Pull yer trousers up.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll come up trumps.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If there's not a joker in the pants...
  • After midnight is best for avoiding THWART agents, birds are asleep and traffic is quiet. THWART celebrates their day of ruined recordings by playing loud music which can be heard for miles.

Check the rewind and fast playback feature here to see where to get away from flight paths http://www.flightradar24.com/ you have to go very far to get away enough. It's also scary to see just how many planes THWART have in the sky at any one time.
  • I've got frightradar24 because I take the littleun to the airport for picnics. I live near an airport so planes are going to be fairly constant. I go to Wales regularly though so I should be set.

Really enjoying this though.
  • The fellows doing the binaural plugin for Unity have just sent a newsletter about their latest updates which include better support for mobile platforms

Given the fact I was assembling my first google cardboard (still am, its tricky with just a stanley knife) at the time i thought this a no brainer and emailed them back - hopefully i'll be using this exciting stuff with phone-based vr soon, even more exciting stuff
  • Sweet, I'm really looking forward to hearing stuff built with that!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!