Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    And the costume. There must be a costume, right?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Id hope so. The drill dude
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Vaguely interested in Sonic but not without reviews.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Also probably a fucker of a display to set up

There we go. An already packed games dept. with all the usual pre-order stuff for other games, and all the next gen console pre-order stuff added onto that, and now we have Skylanders Booster Packs on all consoles, Skylanders Starter Packs on all consoles, new figurines, new light core figurines, figurine multipacks, and other POS stuff all to fit in.

Yeah, I could use "take this to the counter to buy" inlays in DVD cases, but I don't have them, can't make them up as we're not allowed to use homemade graphics, and I kinda like customers having the ability to pick up these big-ass boxes and have a look. Kids love it, so parents are more inclined to impulse buy if nagged hard enough.

Tomorrow will be fun.
  • ...we're not allowed to use homemade graphics...
    Why not?
  • Probably something to do with money and agreements made with publishers to only use what they supply. Email came in last week that all of a sudden, I had to give EA at least 5ft in my department, all for a big FIFA Ultimate Team/Battlefield 4 display, graphics for which EA provided. That was also Fun.
  • Urgh, I hate displays with loads of copies of the same game in a row on multiple shelves.

I'd be surprised if it's publisher driven, Gav, since various branches of Game use their own scanned/printed sleeves.  Whatever the reason for not using homemade graphics, it's mental.  We're talking about a chain of stores at the leading edge of the shitty-whiteboard/flipchart-at-the-door advertising technique, and crappy Dymo labels on empty cases.
  • There was a similar requirement for Activision in the email, but they're getting that via Skylanders, 10ft, which will probably be halved to accommodate CoD and all it's merch.
    I'm sure it is publisher driven cos we now get weekly visits from an EA rep to make sure everything we can get out, is out. If something's missing, she can start being a right arse. She is crazy hot though..

I'll hopefully be handing off my games dept for someone else to worry about it in the near future, and become more in charge of the rest of the/a shop :)
  • Dat drill guy suit doe
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Man, Batman is out next week and I can't even muster a single fuck about it.
    On the other hand I am full on excite. I think it helps that the combat doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just like snuggling up warm on a sofa just as winter is kicking in and immersing myself in the world of Gotham.

October/November is exactly the right time for releasing Batman games.
  • Whatever the reason for not using homemade graphics, it's mental.
    Nope.
    Lot's of people think they can make decent graphics and are shit. Also they would have spent a lot of money planning these releases.
    Different retailers demand different things too, Game may be more stubborn than HMV. IMO HMV are doing it right, let the supplier spend the money on POS etc, they will do a better job and sales will be higher as a result.
    I HATE retailers who think they know branding better than branding agencies/departments.
  • What about the whiteboards, flip charts and Dymo labels on empty cases?  Where does that sit in the grand plan?
  • And yet it persists.  Along with signs where one letter is printed per sheet of A4.  I'm no retail expert with a grand plan to secure the survival of high street shops, but I'm pretty sure that approaching advertising like a middle-aged housewife at a car boot sal is not it.  I agree that most people who think they're good at knocking something up on a PC are actually shit at it, but just about anything would be better than what they're currently doing.
  • Agreed, about £10k would give them a design guide by an agency then another £20k a year would get them an art worker in head office knocking it all up. Printing costs would go up of course but christ it would be better than marker pen bonanza land.

Fucking Poundland has in-house artworkers ffs.
  • We'll do whiteboard shit at the door for promos or whatever, usually at sale time/Xmas.
    A colleague of mines is actually pretty good at making stuff up. Used his stuff as MEO headers (the branded bits at the top of displays in HMV) in our audio section. Great if you wanna bring everything you've got in for one band (CD's, Dvd's, Books, tees) for a display. Brings it all together and makes it easy for some people for gift ideas.
    For games, it's just different. We're just not allowed to do it for pre-order shiz. It's too big a deal now to fuck around and incur the wrath.
  • You'd be better off telling publishers that you just won't promote their game for preorder if they don't provide display stuff.  I was never sure of the point of the empty case, anyway; surely pre-orders are usually from folk who already know what they want?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Would it not be better to have and LCD screen that ran adverts and displayed messages on New deals/sales? As opposed to flip boards. Much more professional looking imo. I know there is an initial outlay required but it isn't much.
  • Agreed, about £10k would give them a design guide by an agency

I am more than willing to do it for £8k...
    then another £20k a year would get them an art worker in head office knocking it all up.

£20k for a decent, time-served artworker/designer that actually knows how to set up files for lithographic and digital print (which is much more technical than it sounds)? Maybe add another £10k to that...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Would it not be better to have and LCD screen that ran adverts and displayed messages on New deals/sales? As opposed to flip boards. Much more professional looking imo. I know there is an initial outlay required but it isn't much.
    Might be an issue standing it outside the front door...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Could be mounted in the window.
  • Kinky sex games have no place in a HMV storefront.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Could be mounted in the window.
    They've already got screens in the window.

I know.
  • Fucking smashed it. I am the merchandising king.

Although I never knew everyone needs to buy a new Starter Pack with new portal to get the game and use all these fucking figurines.

Fuck Activision.
  • Yup. Love explaining that to every parent, especially when they look at you like you're the devil.
  • Jaco wrote:
    Agreed, about £10k would give them a design guide by an agency
    I am more than willing to do it for £8k...
    then another £20k a year would get them an art worker in head office knocking it all up.
    £20k for a decent, time-served artworker/designer that actually knows how to set up files for lithographic and digital print (which is much more technical than it sounds)? Maybe add another £10k to that...

Ok, fair enough, still cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!