How was the last generation, then?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Gauntlet 4 player isn't really co op. It's four people playing at the same time. L4D made ways for the team to interact with eachother besides killing faster.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just because there are more ways to interact with the team in L4D doesn't suddenly make Gauntlet not co-op, surely to fuck.
  • Could be that each level play through is entirely different? That it was a co-op riot that at the moment I can't think of any real comparisons?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Best thing from last gen: LEFT 4 DEAD. Every game should be L4D.
    I wanted to say that too. Probably the only game found to do anything new last gen, but you could argue that Zelda 4 Swords did it first (and better too).
    I like L4D, but I don't know what it did that was so new, or why you mentioned 4 Swords. If it's just four player co-op, Gauntlet is over there waving.

+1

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/computing/from-gauntlet-to-left-4-dead-the-history-of-co-op-gaming-499341

Four Swords though.

Believe me...

That game, even as an edge 9/10, is underrated.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I want to play Gauntlet now.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Left 4 Dead forced players to actually look out for the team. That's the kind of thing that elevates it above older co op likes.
  • Four Swords though. Believe me... That game, even as an edge 9/10, is underrated.

Bunged it in the loft on Monday. I'll probably never get to finishing it. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Left 4 Dead forced players to actually look out for the team. That's the kind of thing that elevates it above older co op likes.

This probably. I'm not keen on FPS but Left 4 Dead is one of my favourite games of all time. Plus, you know, zombies.
  • Can Four Swords be played (and enjoyed) solo?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 with you lot was a scream, as was Street Fighter IV and for that reason those are my top games of 'last' gen.

Other Highlights:
    Geometry Wars 2 on launch day
    Playing Wii Sports with me dad
    Xbox Live and the friends list integration
    Gears and Beers
    The successful re imagining of Fallout, X-com and Deus Ex
    Online high score tables
    Smaller studio's able to make games for home consoles

Things I disliked:
    DLC that's already on the disk
    Publishers bludgeoning a series to death via yearly updates
    The creative death of the final fantasy series.
    No F-Zero
    Quick time events
    Every game being 'open world'
    Wasting the Aliens license
  • g.man wrote:
    Hahaha, it's like a window into my soul… lolololol g.man
    That guy is outstanding, he used to do Call of Duty videos as you can see from his style of play. Short, controlled bursts motherfucker.

I love this one…

hilarious

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Can Four Swords be played (and enjoyed) solo?

Yeah... It's not the same.

It is fun in single player, but with 3-4 players (familar with Zelda, I should add), it's deranged. It's insanely funny at times, and on some occasions, the level design can prove to be almost psychic...

Some of the best level design I think I've ever seen in any game. 
    The QA team deserve the same respect as the product team on this one.

Seriously, the depth of thought attributed to mundane shit like power-up placement and signposting... It was a true tour de force. 

The balance between co-operation and competition too. 
    That's rare in itself, but it was done perfectly in 4 Swords.

Edge probably only took a point off because of Nintendo's ridiculous insistence on a 4 GBA setup. That team really needs to work on an online Wii-U game...

Fast.

Before the system tanks.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Left 4 Dead forced players to actually look out for the team.

I don't play FPSes, but I like the idea of The Last of Us' aiming system in one, where you have to wait for a second after running for your reticle to regain its accuracy.

I think that would encourage chain-link movement in good teams, rather than a bunch of run 'n' gunners. Uncharted 2 didn't feature a funny reticle (and was better for it, as an action TPS), but it required the same kind of staggered positioning to beat strong teams.
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    But what were your highlights over the last 7/8 years? 
    Lowlights?

Highlights - Return of 2D Mario and platforming in general. The rise of quality independent developers and games like World of Goo, Pixeljunk series. Experimental software on DS of the likes we might not see for a while (Ouendan, Electroplankton). WayForward and Platinum Games. Nintendo first party output.

Lowlights - RROD, Fifa hacks, PSN outage.

What games stood out?

For me, the pick would be Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Skyward Sword, World of Goo, Pixeljunk Monsters, Wii Sports and WipEout HD.
    What games made you feel a bit ill? 

Resident Evil 6. No more WipEout.
    Best gaming experiences online? 

Ironically, this gen turned me off line completely. Really had no enjoyment with online multiplayer as a result of this gen.
    Coolest features? 

Motion/pointer controls as demonstrated by (in particular) Metroid Prime 3, PES playmaker series, Skyward Sword and World of Goo.
    Coolest apps? 

N/A.
    Stuff you can't wait to see/play again? 

3D Mario. Luckily I dont have to.
    Also anything else from Treasure/Q Games/Platinum/WayForward. They had some special games this generation. Even if not many.
    Stuff you NEVER want to see/play again?

Halo. The hype for the story and inevitable massive letdown taught me an invaluable lesson. Enter any other "epic" AAA blockbuster game series here too, while we're at it.

Overall, the best gaming console & experience of last gen was ____________ and why, in your opinion?

For me, Wii. For starters, I never had any hardware problems with it whilst the other systems failed. The variety of software in first party, and the strange 3rd party games like Little Kings Story, Murumasa, Rune Factory Frontier, the Virtual Console classics like Streets of Rage 2, and new unreleased in PAL versions of Chrono Trigger and Sin and Punishment, the reliable backwards compatibility, and the availability of some genuinely new experiences were a massive part of why I enjoy the system so much. Let down only by the drop off in support post-2010.

For software, Skyward Sword.
    I've never had an "epic" game provide an actual "epic" moment in which I was actually in control. Normally that stuff is left to cutscenes after the enemy health bar is depleted. But no, in the final battle my Link's shield broke. I've posted before - it was like that moment in Highlander when Connor's sword is kicked away and he's on the cusp of defeat. Maybe it was just the moment, but to me it felt like I couldn't afford to take another hit, and I didn't. Figured out the trick to beating the boss, kicked his arse and won the game.

It didnt hurt that the final arena was gobsmackingly beautiful.

Genuinely loved the music, the atmosphere and ambiance of the game world too. It felt as fresh as running around in Chrono Trigger for the first time. and the controls really clicked for me too. I hope they remain an option for Zelda U.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!