The return of 2D through small downloadable games
    Some top Jap games despite reports of their demise
    Some decent attempts at experimenting with narrative
    The community making qualities of online gaming and Dark Souls discussion
    Wii remote pointer functionality
    Greater standardisation of control systems between games
    Overall reduced cost of disc based gaming

No
    Most uses of alternative controllers (wavy wavy)
    A handful of major franchises taking up too much of the market
    Most DLC, online passes etc.
    Too much hand holding in many games
    Too many 'cinematic' games with hardly any agency
  • The greatest gen for me so far, never have I bought so many games, and the true revolution of online.

Highlights
    Bad Company 2 - Perfection in online FPS, Rush a sublime game mode, even the campaign wasn't half bad.
    FNFs - Forza 2 Fridays were a hot ticket, people were literally queuing to get in, laughing, crying, insults and banter, rascists and randoms.
    Arcade driving games - They may have died on their arses sales wise, but they've been in rude MP health on the forum. Teh Blur, Hot Pursuit, Horizon, DIRT 3, PGR4... we've had a good crack at them and had a gay old time to boot.
    The late late late return of Pro Evo - It's only taken them a whole gen to come back but in 2014, I think they've cracked it. With the Fox engine we're in safe hands for the next gen.
    The GTAIV EDGE vs Forum night - a cracking night, a memory of the good old EDGE times and my first real foray into community online gaming. My friends list seem to jump from 5 to 50 in one evening.
    Battlefield 1943
    360 controller
    Achievements
    Digital games
    IRL meets

Lows
    Battlefield 3 - So much was expected coming off the back of BC2, the beta was atrocious, the launch no better. Although it improved greatly over its two years, it never really hit the highs.
    NFS: Most Wanted - As above, HP was brilliant, online, Autolog, MW took this winning formula and threw it out. Whilst it got a fair bit right, it felt very undercooked and rushed to fill an EA sequel schedule slot.
    Brink - released after BF3 and whilst we were looking for a viable alternative, this could have been the one. Objective, squad based, highly customisable, free running, the crushing netcode and woeful asset streaming saw it die before it could spread its wings.
    PTFO - The obsession of NOT playing objectives in such games is bewildering. A game designed around this concept is all the more fun and rewarding when played in this fashion, but the constant need to buff K/D and leave your squadmates languishing is incredible.
    Netcode - I really hope big strides are taken in levelling the field. DICE are a big villain at creating an imbalance by allowing region free servers that can be freely joined and torn apart as the netcode is stretched to breaking point. Using techniques such as client hit detection in a dedicated server game should really end too.

There's likely more I could add to either list but these are the most pressing.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The best generation by a mile, mostly for the online but also LoU, GTAV, a few others. Plus gets a mention for its almost stupid generosity.

No real lows, a bit much AmericaFuckYeah I guess. WiiU was a waste of money - so far...it still has a place alongside PS4 though I reckon.
  • Hi's:
    Me getting into pc games proper.
    Steam
    SF4

Lo's
    The first 360 dpad. It was shit.
    The nVidia Bluscreen driver problem.
    I still need to sludge through Mass Effect, Walking dead, Dragon Age, The Witcher 2, HalfLife ep1+2 and Left4dead.
    I'll never finish in 3 weeks!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I forgot Steam as a high.
  • Steam summer sales.
    You can double the size of your game collection in a blink of an eye.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Online gaming was bequeathed to the console peasantry (the ultimate low class who never experienced PSO on the Dreamcast anyway) and it was good. For them.

Support for indies is now a thing that's gained Steam which is nice.

EA wasted $200.000.000 on The Old Republic.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Chad Warden

• hahaha. The original and still the best.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Good - BC2, GTA IV and V, all those arcade racers, HD, on-line, downloadable games, the cheapness of second hand.

Bad - most of the arcade racer developers disappearing because the games don't sell, the two big sim racers being almost all that's left, FPS campaigns turning into bad interactive movies, everyone trying to follow WOW and failing, DLC season passes, annual and bi-annual franchises, the dark and gritty approach to AAA being so prevalent.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    ELPRESADOR
    H
    Bollockoff wrote:
    ELPRESADOR

Haha I've never seen that before, is he popular on the Tube then?  Also, is he homeless?
  • Weird, dont know what happened with my post ^
  • Plan_XIII wrote:
    Haha I've never seen that before, is he popular on the Tube then?  Also, is he homeless?
    He's been around on YouTube for years. I think his ranting is hilarious. Others probably don't.

channel here

g.man
  • Cheers G, following him now - breath of fresh air.
  • Either Stevo used to post him a lot or Stevo was him.
  • This one is priceless…

I feel his pain

g.man
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I haven't seen that one! This is proper hard to breathe laughing.
  • Hahaha, it's like a window into my soul…

lolololol

g.man
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I prefer this guy...

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • g those videos are amazing, can't believe I've never heard of him before.
  • Highs
    XBox Live for multiplayer
    XBLA
    XBLIG for bedroom coders - well done MS!
    Street Fighter 4 (and Mordor Mashup - thanks Nick and guys!)
    Halo 3/ODST local shenanigans
    Usual Nintendo great first party titles (Mario, Zelda, MK7, etc)
    Indie/experimental games resurgence
    Journey = best thing ever
    Other great games (Bayo, LoU, Walking Dead etc)

Lows
    CoD and CoDification
    Budgets and games getting way too big
    A few big series dominating
    Studio closures (above two are related to this)
    No Last Guardian.... yet
    XBLIG lack of support from MS - fuck you, you cunts!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    THE HONEYMOON IS FUCKING OVER
  • Who was the guy that used to trap people in corners on CoD? One vid in particular where he made a guy talk to a sink or he wouldn't let him go? I liked him.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    I probably should add to my list that a big high for me was that quality shmups were still being made.

I sincerely hope this continues though I have my doubts :(
  • For me, the best generation of all. From Journey to The Last Of Us, Mass Effect to Pixeljunk Monsters, Bad Company 2 to Wipeout HD, I've enjoyed every minute of it.
  • I probably should add to my list that a big high for me was that quality shmups were still being made. I sincerely hope this continues though I have my doubts :(

Aha! Knew I forgot something! Jap 360 FTW!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Probably the best gen ever.

Fantastic multiplayer fun, great single player games, especially from indie developers on PSN and XBLA, the return of Street Fighter and the rise of the Irish Fighting Game Community.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Hahaha, it's like a window into my soul…

lolololol

g.man

That guy is outstanding, he used to do Call of Duty videos as you can see from his style of play. Short, controlled bursts motherfucker.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    Best thing from last gen: LEFT 4 DEAD. Every game should be L4D.

I wanted to say that too.

Probably the only game found to do anything new last gen, but you could argue that Zelda 4 Swords did it first (and better too).
    I like L4D, but I don't know what it did that was so new, or why you mentioned 4 Swords. If it's just four player co-op, Gauntlet is over there waving.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!