Exclusives
  • Yeah but how profitable? Capcom presumably took the best deal on the table. Which appears to amount to a big sack of cash.

No one knows how this deal came about so it's just guess work. I can easily see a situation where Sony are setting up meetings with devs trying to get exclusive games. Capcom say theyd rather upres SF4 for a multi format next gen release as they still think they can milk it for a bit. Then get round to a new one in a few years. Sony then offer to chuck some money at Capcom to try something more ambitious which would benefit them. Capcom do the sums and realise the Sony deal makes it more worthwhile to speed up SF5 development.

That's one of a thousand possibilities. I'm sure they wouldn't have needed Sega or Sony to release a new SF game. I'm sure they've done all the sales projections. If a co-publishing deal would have earned them more, they'd have probably taken it, or sought one out.

Generally you don't want to strengthen your competitors though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Yeah but how profitable? Capcom presumably took the best deal on the table. Which appears to amount to a big sack of cash.

Well yes, clearly, I'm sure that this is a sound business decision. It's still screwing over many of their fans and as a result, many people will feel aggrieved by it.
  • Remember that the install base of the current machines isn't that big, everything is a risk at this stage. There's also the extra hype you get from an exclusive deal to think about, this has had for more buzz than if they'd released it on the One as well.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Yeah but how profitable? Capcom presumably took the best deal on the table. Which appears to amount to a big sack of cash.

Well yes, clearly, I'm sure that this is a sound business decision. It's still screwing over many of their fans and as a result, many people will feel aggrieved by it.

Enough to not buy SF5 Turbo Whatever when Capcom shit it out a year later?
    A responsible dev interested in nurturing it's fanbase probably wouldn't do this sort of deal. But this is Capcom.

Side note:- Wasn't PS3 seen as the fightman console last gen? Maybe Sony bent over backwards to try and get this band of obsessives back. Maybe Capcom just aren't bothered about XBone and think most of their fanbase will be buying PS4s
  • Do SF games still sell in huge numbers?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Do SF games still sell in huge numbers?
    VGChartz (unreliable) has the last one at around 5 million. That's probably when there were more than 100 million consoles sold though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    According to Wiki, the various versions of SFIV have sold around 8 million so far, which seems pretty decent to me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And let's not forget the DLC, which they probably shifted a fair bit of.
  • SF4 og =7.5M
    All the other SF4 =.5m
    (hypothesis)
    Also I think it's on steam now so a bunch will have gone because of sales.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    from wiki:
    Street Fighter IV has sold 3.3 million units.[15] Super Street Fighter IV has sold 1.9 million units,[15] in addition to 1.1 million of the Arcade Edition (full game only).[15] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition sold an additional 1.2 million copies.[15] Ultra Street Fighter IV has sold 500,000 copies (full game only) by September 30, 2014. This adds up to sales of 8 million copies in total.
  • monkey wrote:
    Wasn't PS3 seen as the fightman console last gen?
    From the ps3 pad vs the 360 one, most of the fols I know got their fighters on the PS3 but the tournaments were on 360.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!