Top 3 Launch Games Of All Time
  • Vela wrote:
    Super Monkey Ball
    Good shout. The first one was so pure, so hard, so brilliant.
    I'm rubbish at it, but Monkey Target alone puts it up that high.

I used to Monkey race my flatmate to see who was going to the shops to buy the munchies. Tense affairs when you're so stoned the thought of going for a piss seems like a monumental achievement.
  • My (now) wife stopped talking to me for a day after I landed on one of the stars in the ocean in Monkey Target.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sonic Adventure
    Power Stone
    Panzer Dragoon
  • Other top quality launch games that come to mind:
    Wii Sports, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, Wii Play (Tanks), Toy Commander, Kuru Kuru Kururin and WipEout Pure.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Was Kuru a launch game for the GBA? (I vaguely remember a Wii version, was that launch?)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • According to wikipedia it was in Australia and possibly Europe.
  • 1. Mario 64 - one of the true great games and sold many of us on that strange new joypad nintendo had designed

2. Ridge Racer - I didnt buy a ps at all but I know many a person who was wowed by the conversion of namcos coin-op. And rightfully so, it still looks great now.

3. Halo - although i was late to the ms party, i knew enough that i had to get halo. It felt like a real leap from my ps2 stuff which is exactly what a launch title should feel like.

honourable mention - wii sports - i know i've banged on about this one before but it was a fantastic way to showcase the wii and is probably the greatest game that isnt actually very good :)

dishonourable mention - daytona usa on the saturn (euro launch only i think) - a terrible display for a new console that looked shit next to both the competition and the game it was a conversion of.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Doom - 32X
    Virtua Fighter - Saturn
    Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection - PSN

The first two for single-handedly making their hosts attractive for a time, and Dark Res because it got me into online gaming.
  • monkey wrote:
    1. Super Mario World
    2. Mario 64
    3. Tetris

Win
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Shuttle.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    All been mentioned by others but for me it has to be:

1. Mario 64 (N64)
    2. Combat (2600)
    3. Wipeout (PS)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Close Perm, but it's:

Mario 64
    Wipeout
    Halo
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Ah right, 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

My excuse is that I never had an Xbox so never experienced Halo (at launch, I did borrow an Xbox and play it at a later date). I am quite glad about the bundled game with the Xbox One, it's like the good old days again where you actually got a game with your console!
  • both wrong:

1. Mario 64
    2. Super Mario World
    3. Wii Sports
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • wii sports over tetris? How old are you?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • old enough to have been there, but not rich enough to have a gameboy as well! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • thats ok. 

Anyone here brave enough to admit they owned a gameboy but didn't put Tetris in their top 3?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, me. It's the best puzzle game ever, but it's still only a puzzle game.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Power stone
    Sega rally
    Super Mario world.
  • Yeah, me. It's the best puzzle game ever, but it's still only a puzzle game.

Bet you put more hours into it that the other games you quoted put together :)
  • No Wipeout so far?

Yeah, apart from everyone who said Wipeout. Unless you mean a game of the Paul Daniels quiz show.
  • mk64 wrote:
    thats ok.  Anyone here brave enough to admit they owned a gameboy but didn't put Tetris in their top 3?
    I didn't think that far back. But yeah, it's a good one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah, me. It's the best puzzle game ever, but it's still only a puzzle game.

Woah ! Way to dismiss an entire genre and a game that will still be played in 50 years.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 1. Mario 64 
    2. Halo
    3. Super Mario World

Man I might even see if I can find a copy of SMW online!
  • Mario 64 is the best. It was just mind blowing on every level. It introduced us all to the analog stick. The first time I played it I went right for the trusted D-Pad, within the hour I was a pro with the stick, long jumping and back flipping with inch perfection.

Nothing will ever beat 1st March 1997 for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • the tip-toe'ing when I first edged forwards on the stick. I gasped
  • I replayed both SMW and 64 recently and personally think that SMW has stood the test of time a bit better. It was the pinnacle of the 2D platformers that had been iterated on for a decade before.
    64 on the other hand carved out a new type of platformer all on its own. Very revolutionary but it's got a few rough edges by today's standards, as you'd expect.
    I realise people aren't necessarily picking favourites by these retrospective standards.
  • the thing is the best parts of m64 outshine the best parts of smw. SMW is more polished and well made but things like princess' slide and racing koopa were just immense.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Top be fair - SMW is the pinnacle of its genre and M64 is the first in its.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!