• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    What happened to Liam Neeson? He used to be considered a great actor and his venture into action movies was thought of in terms of 'Good for him, doing action at his age and when he's a serious actor'. Now he's a fucking average nobody, living the rest of his life like a schnook.

He's 70 now... Prob putting his feet up on top of the pile of Taken money. He passed on Lincoln saying he was passed it.

Neeson was always a good sport. See him in Sesame St when he was younger. And he played on the Taken thing quite a lot.... He did a mall Santa audition skit that's pretty funny.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The outakes for this are excellent too.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Le Samourai

Awesome. Loved this. Cool, smoky, often virtually non-verbal French gangster film with Alain Delon looking about as cool as a human male could possibly look. The kind of cool you'd try yourself then laugh and feel depressed about, because you just look like your own plain, average dickhead self but wearing some smarter clothes. Very stylish and beautiful to look at, but the story; though minimalist, is great. The detective is a French Colombo-type, has a hunch and follows it, etc. You know the drill. Maximum Frenchness all round really. I had this film on DVD for years and never bothered to watch it, because I'm lazy and couldn't be arsed with subtitles, or just never found myself in the mood for it. Wish I'd watched it sooner. (Saw a Blu Ray copy rather the ancient DVD that ended up god knows where before I ever got round to watching it). [9]

Never heard of this, will have to give it a go.

Watched Beekeeper. What a load of tosh. Loved it [8].
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    8. The Holdovers
    Rather than waffle on about the finer points of this it feels more appropriate to just say it's a wonderfully warm, fun and absorbing film and everyone should watch it. Giamatti has got to be in with a great shout at the Oscars. [9]

9. Poor Things
    It would be harsh to describe this as a mixed bag as there were a lot of elements I loved but definitely a few negatives that detract - Emma Stone's performance is incredible (particularly the evolution of it) but I could not get on board with Ruffalo. What the fuck was that accent? I thought it dragged a bit on the boat section and probably a bit long overall but then you focus on the production design, Dafoe being excellent and the off kilter vibes throughout and the good absolutely shines through. It is batshit at points too which I loved, glad Lanthimos gets to do his thing. [8]

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
    As a massive Turtles when I was a nipper it was great watching a properly enjoyable modern effort. A nice focus on the teenage and family aspects, some great jokes and solid action. The animation style felt a bit Spiderverse-light at times but a brilliant cast really brought life to the characters. A lovely time and surely a cracker for families. [7]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Needed some light entertainment, so Dinner with Schmucks . Fun enough, a few good scenes, even if nothing earth-shattering
  • I thought Ruffalo was excellent in Poor Things. The accent seemed like a very exaggerated rake-ish accent that was weird enough to fit into the world.
    I do agree his films are too long though.
  • It was the Paris bit that I felt dragged. And then the last act felt rushed.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Persona  This is , I think, the 3rd time I've watched this and I'm none the wiser - though I certainly still appreciate the depth. It makes me feel something and has me searching for something. It seems to be a study of our true selves and the way we present ourselves but it also seems to address the way we might take on characteristics of those we are close to, or that we project onto them and see what we want to see in others. 

It also remains very easy to watch as it's beautifully shot and the two leading ladies , both Bergman regulars, look great in it.

The prologue remains baffling , though I have now noticed some echoes of the imagery in the main part of the film.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    7. The Marvels - Enjoyed seeing Ms. Marvel back again. There’s a lot to like here with the usual solid action, enjoyable characters, for the most part. What lets a lot of these latter Marvel films down is the script, they just can’t seem to nail the pacing or plot. Felt like and RPG side fetch quest for most of it. The core concept of the Marvels also wasn’t capitalised on nearly enough, after the training montage on the ship, I expected a more inventive use of those abilities, but they just seemed to go nowhere. And the baddie was just a bit nothing really. Is it as bad as Eternals? Absolutely not, but it’s filler Marvel and I was hoping for more. Good post-credits scene though. [7
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Needed some light entertainment, so Dinner with Schmucks . Fun though, a few good scenes, even if nothing earth-shattering
    That was one of the only films I ever walked out of. Awful
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah it's not exactly cinema fodder, but it was roughly what I needed to turn my brain off
  • You're thinking of Doom
  • 5. Whiplash
    JK Simmons is superb in this mediation on what it takes to be best. Such a great film, Miles Teller is brilliant as well and that final gig and the denouement is at once both exhilarating and depressing. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The Marvels
    These superhero films just don’t feel super any more. But at least this one has a few laughs, and the leads have real charisma. A solid [7] of a film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    5. Whiplash
    JK Simmons is superb in this mediation on what it takes to be best. Such a great film, Miles Teller is brilliant as well and that final gig and the denouement is at once both exhilarating and depressing. 8

That ending gave me a genuine panic attack in the cinema which I think demonstrates how good it was.
  • Almost an empty cinema hall for this which was both good (no disturbances or noise etc) and bad g(film deserves punters’ money). Also meant that I could weep away and wipe my tears without feeling strange about it as I’m sure no one could see me.

5. All of us Strangers - 10 Feb
    Utterly devastating and heartbreaking. Hits you right in the feels. Three attempts to watch this and I finally made it. Worth the effort.
    [9]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Good man.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    VHS Massacre is a documentary that discusses the so-called death of physical media but it's centred around the "golden" age of VHS when any old tosh would get put onto tape for video rental shops to feed the insatiable appetite for content during the video boom. There's interviews with the likes of the director of Toxic Avenger and it's a fun watch but it also looks at technology's impact on the industry in an intelligent way.

It also opens up a rabbit hole for ropey/amusing indie content on youtube. Like the Troma Movies channel.

:)
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    American Fiction

Hilarious. Jeffrey Wright was fantastic.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Kinda ignored movies last year but I’m gonna try to do 50 this year.

1 - Bonnie and Clyde (1967) - No review - 01/01/2024 - ★★★★☆
    2 - Saltburn (2023) - Review - 09/01/2024 - ★★★☆☆
    3 - Shin Godzilla (2016) - Review - 12/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    4 - Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters (2017) - Review - 13/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    5 - Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle (2018) - Review - 20/01/24 - ★★★☆☆
    6 - Teorema (1968) - Review - 25/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    7 - Bloodsport (1988) - Review - 26/01/24 - ★★★★☆
    8 - Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018) - Review - 27/01/24 - ★★★☆☆
    9 - King Kong (1933) - Review - 03/02/24 - ★★★★★
    10 - The Shop Around the Corner (1940) - Review - 04/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    11 - The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953) - Review - 08/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    12 - The Marvels (2023) - Review - 09/02/24 - ★★★★☆
    13 - Dune: Part One (2021) - Review - 10/02/24 - ★★★★☆

I didn’t really engage with film last year until right at the end of the year. Doing wayyy better this year so far.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • You're smashing it. I just haven't felt like I've had much time to sit and watch things lately. Holdover from holiday time anxiety maybe

7. Melody Time
    Watching old Disney to listen to the Disneyversity podcast. This is back when they were doing short film anthology releases. The budgets are obviously a lot lower than their main releases and so the animation quality varies but there's some great stuff in here. The half live action samba sequence is amazing, I'm guessing they're using the same tech as in Mary Poppins for it. The final short is absolutely wild though. Insanely racist and sexist throughout with an old west fireside folk story. Definitely earns the disclaimer that does. 
    [6]

8. Child's Play
    Never seen any Childs Play stuff, I remember being scared of the VHS box as a kid and so maybe that stopped me. It's an interesting one. I like how serious the film is shot for such a silly concept. I also think that without Brad Dourif giving 110% on the voice acting it wouldn't land as well as it does. Pretty sure they put that kid actor in some situations that were likely not completely safe either. Can't go wrong at 80ish minutes either
    [6]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    11. Competencia Oficial
    Concerned about his legacy, an aging billionaire throws money at the situation by funding a movie project. A lauded but demanding director chooses to work with two big names - one a Hollywood star and the other a 'serious' actor of high regard. It sets up the inevitable clash of egos but it's a fairly slow burn as a series of exercises set by the director leads to more competition and increasing eccentricities on display. It's wonderfully judged satire, helped in no part by all three leads being on top form and hearty laughs mixed in with daftness. [7]

12. Mean Streets
    This just didn't really click for me. That style of just following this gang around and seeing the shit that happens felt too loose and simply not enough of interest happens for long periods. Keitel is good, De Niro is such an unlikeable prick it's hard to see that anyone would stick up for him for so long. A fairly dull gangster film and any moments of action are lacking the impact Scorsese delivers in later films. [4]

13. Polite Society
    If you're happy to go along with the occasionally awkward but endearing action, this is an absolute treat. A teenage wannabe stunt woman thinks her sister's impending wedding is a huge mistake and sets about trying to save her. It's such a genuine and ultimately heart-warming film that it's just great fun going along for the ride. There are variously Scott Pilgrim, Kill Bill and coming of age influences throughout but absolutely has it's own feel and Priya Kansara in the lead is brilliant. I wasn't sure about it early on but completely won me over, loved it. [8]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @Shabs I definitely watched Child's Play too young and properly freaked me out but Bride of Chucky brought me round, that one is great fun.
  • Yep. I also watched Child’s Play as a little ‘un. I blame my older brother. Scared the shit outta me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    12. Mean Streets This just didn't really click for me. That style of just following this gang around and seeing the shit that happens felt too loose and simply not enough of interest happens for long periods. Keitel is good, De Niro is such an unlikeable prick it's hard to see that anyone would stick up for him for so long. A fairly dull gangster film and any moments of action are lacking the impact Scorsese delivers in later films.

I was underwhelmed by it too - time hasn't been overly kind - but it's clearly influential on Scorsese's later work. Like a prelim sketch book for Goodfellas.
  • I rented all the doll horror stuff I could get my hands in as a youngster, after Child's Play. Dolls (1986) was a good'un, confirmed on a rewatch a few years ago. Hits a nice sweet spot between silly and serious.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Dolls was another early one for me. A double bill with The Warriors randomly. A wild ride for pre-teen Cos.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @Davy Yeah, some films are hard to judge out of their time but agree there are clear elements used in much better films.
  • Cos wrote:
    Dolls was another early one for me. A double bill with The Warriors randomly. A wild ride for pre-teen Cos.

I treated myself to The Warriors on TV a couple of nights ago. Still a wild one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!