52 Games... 1 Year... 2024 Edition
  • 12. Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons - PS5 (2hrs)

Modern belt scroller that's billed as a roguelite in some quarters.  I usually tut at genre custodians wagging their fingers at people for lazy definitions, but that's a bit of a stretch here.  Rogueultralite maybe, but only due to the perks - there's no layout randomisation here as far as I can tell.  You'll occasionally get a choice of 5 perks (pick one) that will stay with you for the rest of the 'run'.  I only saw the Game Over screen once though, so it's not a standard rogue by any stretch of the imagination. The more you play the more tokens you'll acquire, which can be spent on playable characters and bonus tat from the main menu (there are 4 extra characters initially, with 9 more to unlock).  I was concerned about the structure for this going in as I'm something of a genre purist (I heard that tut!) and I had intended to hold off until a half price sale.  It was payday yesterday though, ergo I yolo'd it at a paltry 25% off.  Retro Gamer loved it and I often agree with their takes on retro inspired modern games, but reviews elsewhere (including the dreaded user reviews) are quite mixed. 

So is it any good?  Yes, thankfully.  It's not up there with the S-tier of modern belt scrollers but it's a fine addition to the numerous nu offerings available.  The core brawling is satisfying and the currency system is a decent enough twist on a standard lives/continues approach.  There are numerous routes through each stage, with the area order choice determining how long a subsequent level will be, adding replayability.  With only 4 unique stages it does feel a bit light on content, but it works in the context of offering a deliberately succinct package; these games are always better weighing in light than padding things out, imo.  

I enjoyed the combat loop and appreciated the attempt to do things a little differently.  It's quite generous with the special moves for a change, and there's no penalty for using them as a powerful attack rather than a get-out-of-jail-for-a-small-fee card.  As far as deep brawling goes there's not a huge repertoire of moves to flex with but you do get enough tools to stay on top of the screens - it's no-frills done well (think Fight 'N Rage rather than SOR4, which feels right for a DD game to me). Co-op is limited to couch only, which is a shame but that often seems to be the way of it for the past generation or two (gone are the days where something like TMNT Arcade would automatically be playable online on XBLA). I'd recommend it for two players keen on the genre anyway, especially if they're already au fait with Double Dragon and willing to put a little bit of time into dying and retrying before they settle into the game's groove.  One for @retroking1981 & an irl +1 I reckon - all moves are available from the start and the perk system after each boss is felled would be more your cup of tea than the grind-it-out XP levelling of the River City/Scott Pilgrim types imo.  Gonna stick my neck out and say that if you can handle the fact there's no separate punch and kick buttons there's a good chance you'll think this is the nuts.  

I'd read about brutal difficulty spikes but I battered this on default settings - will play again with different characters (and Tilly, hopefully).  Credits have already rolled though, so in the thread it goes. [7]

NB. Anyone who plays this should toggle the option to allow corpses to disappear over time, and disable the annoying special KO/crowd control pop-ups.  Both are just pointless clutter and apparently make the Switch and PS4 versions wheeze.

• I love this thread, btw.

Yes.  It's definitely contributed to the fact that I've enjoyed games more in the past few years than I had done at any point since the 90s.  Who would've thought essentially making a load of 'Dear Gaming Diary' entries would relight the fire.
  • 4. Horizon Forbidden West 40 or so hours

Finished this off having a few days off work. I started last year on the PS4 and finished it on the PS5.
    Neither better or worse than the first game (so still a favourite)- but the new enemies were great and raised the stakes perfectly. There was just enough peril at the end, even if it didn't feel as epic. My biggest complaint was that there were far too many weapons and armour, when modding and fewer pieces of gear would have been less overwhelming. I felt that the game was trying to be Monster Hunter, but it didn't need to be as the game was better when spending time on the story rather than resource grinding. [9]

5. Demons Souls remake

Never expected to get into this. I platinumed the original and feel compelled to do the same again.

The audio changes are taking time to get used to - some voice work is jarring, but I like the new spellcasting sounds - reminds me of the later Harry potter movies.

What is odd is that this is neither remake or remaster, but a halfway house. It struck me how dated the healing system is. I really wish they'd changed it to the estus system. Ended up burning through grass on boss attempts and had to grind to buy more.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    3. Yakuza: Like A Dragon - PS5 - 57hrs Fantastic turn-based JRPG, think everyone on this forum knows what it is, but it really is just great fun. Hadn’t played it in a while due to getting stuck on a pita boss who kept kicking my ass. Finally cracked it last week and glad I did, finished and ready for the sequel. [9]
  • 10. Joe & Mac Returns (Arcade) - 1hr

Unlike other games in the series this one is a single screen platformer, not to dissimilar from Bobble Bobble.

The aim is to eliminate all the enemies, but they spawn infinitely from huts, much like Gauntlet so your best off concentrating on them first.

To destroy the huts you have to stun enemies and capture them in a sack, this is done simply by running onto a stunned enemy. The more you capture the larger the sack becomes, inflicts more damage and rolls for longer.

There are 7 levels broken up into four to eight parts, each ending in a boss fight, with a boss rush mode at the end.

It's looks and sounds decent and is perfectly playable, but in all honestly I found it to be just dull and repetitive to play.

4/10

11. Haunted Castle (Arcade) - 1hr 30mins

This is undoubtedly to worst Castlevania platformer I have played, only Judgement challenges it for the all time worst.

Horrible stiff controls and animation, ruthlessly unfair enemy placement, and oddly easy boss fights.

Makes Altered Beast look like a masterpiece.

3/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 12. Yoshi's New Island (3DS) - 29hrs 38mins

Despite some of the lukewarm reviews this got, I couldn't resist picking this up before the old 3DS eshop closed down, and I'm glad I did.

This got a few decent reviews but the one that always stood out was the Edge 4/10. I honestly don't see how they reviewed it so bad. I get the criticism, it's basically Yoshi's Island 1.5 and inferior to the SNES game in every department, but that doesn't make it a bad game, and to be honest, all I ever wanted from a sequel was more of the same.

Story on 64 was a huge departure. I didn't get on with the multiscreen nature of the DS game, and I thought the multiple babies over complicated it somewhat. This is exactly the Yoshi game I wanted, it follows the template of the SNES game to a tee.

I always thought the graphics looked off and whilst I prefer the look of the SNES/DS games, this actually looks decent when playing on an actual 3DS. I remember thinking the same of Zelda A Link Between World's, some 3DS games just don't look right when not viewed on the native hardware for some reason.

The level design isn't as good as the original or even Woolly World tbf but it's still decent and as tough as ever to 100% - I think close to 2hrs of my playtime was on one of the special stages alone, it was very satisfying to finally finish.

The original is a stone cold 10 for me, and this is a perfectly playable sequel. If more of the same gets a 4 from Edge then can I have shit sequels to Wave Race and Star Fox 64 please.

8/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Good review, doesn't sound half bad if you put it like that. It was one I half intended to check out, never did in the end. Agree about the 3DS graphics - I thought ALBW looked like a turd from screenshots but it was actually a pretty nice looking game when playing.
  • 6. Cult of the Lamb

Loving this. It's as if Tom Nook properly took over Animal Crossing.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • 13. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - PS5 (20+hrs)

I'll keep this one fairly short as it's an easy enough game to recommend - if you like 2D Metroidvania experiences and reckon you might enjoy one that scores way above average on each of the main pillars of the genre - which for argument's sake let's say are controls (character movement), layout (exploration, secrets, backtracking management), additional abilities, bosses and combat - you'd be a fool to miss this.  Or just someone with a moral compass firing on all cylinders, perhaps; it hasn't escaped my attention that the Ubisoft thing is a thing.  Personally speaking I avoid most of their games simply because I don't tend to like them these days, but in terms of nefarious cuntery I doubt they're much worse than most other companies just because they failed to keep a lid on some unpleasant events (or deal with them correctly).  I kinda think higher-ups and CEO types just sort of gravitate towards being arseholes everywhere, and maybe most of the rest of the staff are quite nice?  Anyway, with my half hearted apologies for buying this at full price out the way, back to the game - admittedly it's not quite best in class in any of the subjects mentioned (the movement in Ori is marginally more sublime, the exploration in Hollow Knight is more organic/rewarding and so on), but it's getting a fantastic end of term report from each teacher nonetheless.  

The style was a mis-step for me.  It's a Prince of Persia with go faster stripes, for want of a better description, and I wasn't taken with the character artwork (either in terms of model design or the talking heads that pop up), the cut-scenes or the Godawful voice acting.  Maybe a spikey haired lightning bolt fade cool vibe is precisely what was needed for true mass market appeal right now, so I'll let it slide.  Much like Rive, which I tend to mention from time to time, if you wrap a great game up in a slightly wanky package it's still a great game.  

I'd advise anyone interested to wait for a patch ideally (and maybe a price cut for a sounder night's sleep), as it's a bit buggy in its current state.  As mentioned elsewhere there's a special move cooldown glitch that did my head in throughout the quest (which means the specials can't be relied on in boss battles, which is poor).  I also thought it was odd that the Athra surge bar has three levels, with multiple abilities that require a specific level of juice to use, but unless I brain farted my way through that menu you can only assign two at once (surely having an available move for each tier makes more sense?). I also disliked the way the tier 1 move is mapped anyway, because I often inadvertantly let one go while parrying against fodder enemies. So yeah, I've got a bone to pick with someone about the specials in this, but I forced myself to get over it.

All in all though, even with the occasional glitches and minor irritations it manages to land a big [9] from me. An excellent addition to the top 5 or 6 games in a genre that was already in rude health. I wouldn't agree with it, but you could make a case for this being the best Metroidvania ever through sheer weight of averages - there really is nothing less than great about it, other than the PoP-with-attitude style. When your character is laden with the full repertoire of moves it's still intutive to play, and even when you're rolling with the barebones moveset early on it feels good to get about each screen, which is a difficult balancing act to get right. Top game.

Picture8.gif
  • Been playing Street Fighter 6 out in the wild.
    I don't have a TV yet, so no gaming for me, but it's coming tomorrow.

Splurged and Got a discount LG C2, 65 inch.

Will be buying Tekken 8 when it's out. But also need a new stick! Don't age one with me in Japan.

That's what's great about arcades and offline events that supply their own controllers.

In other news I played and completed Vampire Survivors on my phone. I had to stop playing as all I could see when I closed my eyes was those fucking gems.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • 14. 64th Street: A Detective Story - Arcade (35mins)

Another random scrolling beat 'em up that was near the top of the list as I was scrolling down.  It's a basic one, with just the two buttons, no run ability and so on.  Your character selection options are an angry Dennis Farina lookalike (RICK) or an even angrier looking chap dressed like a young Tom Waits (ALLEN).  There's more of a story running through this than in most similar games, with text exposition at the end of each stage, but I wasn't in the mood to read any of it so I'm not sure what was going on.  Something about a crime syndicate, I assume. 

Some of these games simply mimicked and some mimicked but tried to add an extra feature to stand out from the pack they were copying.  This falls into the latter category as you can throw enemies into background panels, denting the scenery and sometimes yielding collectibles or weapon drops.  It's kinda neat in an 'I guess' kind of way.  Both characters have a terrible flying kick - the kind where they just stick a weak knee out in midair - which never feels right for these games imo, so most of my brawling was done on the ground.  Another bugbear was the fact that bosses are capable of continuously punting you around the screen while you're down.  Remember when SFII: Champion Edition first appeared in arcades, and you could do relentless troll-slides with Bison, sweeping player 2 off their feet just as they hauled themselves back up with huge AHAHA energy, regardless of any attempt at blocking?  Well I do, because that's the reason I got punched in the chip shop at the top of my road by Leeroy from the year above.  The third boss is particularly guilty of a similar faux pas here.  

The graphics are okay-ish but the music is incredibly repetitive and it's genuinely one of the worst scores I've encountered for this type of game.  I also couldn't shake the feeling that the whole thing came across like a perfect pastiche; like if they bothered to part-code an arcade game that AI-generated American sit-com characters from an approximation of 1991 were playing in an episode of Black Mirror or something (a later episode could revolve around Rick & Allen's detective agency, perhaps, and THEY DON'T KNOW THEY'RE IN A GAME UNTIL THEY DO SOME DETECTIVING.  Gotta go deep).  Back to the game: the last boss has the lamest last boss vibe ever, which is a bit of an anticlimax - it's just some bloke in dungarees flanked by clones of a boss you've already defeated, with no extra hidden underground metal lair when he falls, just the credits.  I sort of enjoyed it on the whole though, as ever.  It's hard not to when you love the genre (and the person playing with you!) and they only last 30 minutes from coin drop to THE END, INSERT NAME.  Gains half a point because player controlled characters can throw each other into enemies and it's actually useful.  [2.5 out of 6]

Gaming fact: This spawned the Rushing Beat franchise on SNES.

64th-street-a-detective-story-b0800850-d4ca-400a-9667-96976db5f6b-resize-750.jpeg

15. Drainus - Switch (2.5hrs)

Absolutely essential hori scrolling shmup for anyone with a passing rather than full-bore affection for the genre.  If you're a fairweather dabbler such as myself the lack of absolute finesse and deeper balancing won't matter a jot as it's basically a thrill ride you can blast through with a big grin. #ScrubsNotDubs.

It looks fantastic, sounds pretty good and plays superbly.  At first the manual upgrade system felt like a bit of a problem (pausing to tinker with the menu mid-game felt like a hmmm), but it does work and it allows players to tweak certain things to their liking.  The central guard move where you deliberately soak up enemy fire to clapback with your own attack added an extra hook to the gameplay loop that I thoroughly enjoyed.  There's a touch of Bangai-O to it, but I don't play a vast number of similar games so there's probably a much better comparison out there.

I won't attempt to go deep on this as I didn't play it long enough to form a shmuphead's opinion on it (I completed it fully once, on easy), but £12 for 2.5 hours of pew pew exhilaration was fine by me in this instance.  I'm too lazy to go to the cinema these days, so in terms of value I'll just shrug and look at it like that, plus I didn't have to pay through the nose for my salty snacks.  [8] 

2_DRAINUS-Reflector.gif?t=1680068994

16. Captain Commando - Arcade (40mins)

Proof that a) my memory is shot and b) these games have started blending into one a little by now: I spent the first half of this wondering how the fuck I'd managed to not play Captain Commando, given that it's a well-known example of the genre (that I owned on two collections on Switch before I got even my retro devices).  Then I died and decided to try someone other than the ninja, recognised Mack the Knife (yes, that's his name in the game) and realised that of course I've played it before.  Fairly recently too.  Naturally I chose the same gif last time, look at it. 

The last boss is a floating cheesy prick (with a proper bossman name: SCUMOCIDE) and it's probably one or two stages too long, but this a still a quirky goodtime and further confirmation for me that Capcom were much better at these than Konami.  [4 out of 6]

tumblr_ogcyoeMkRG1r7sijxo1_640.gif
  • 17. Golden Axe - Arcade (25mins)

Incredibly short in OG arcade form. An extra level was added to the MD port, but the original ended with the merking of Death Adder after only 5 main stages. I hadn't realised until today, but I think the home version added a directional input to the throw too - I remember being able to throw to the left or right after a grab on MD, which you can't do on this ROM.

Iconic characters, great music and a play style that feels a bit different from most (you have to be directly level with opponents to hit them and there's a lot more emphasis on player placement for herding baddies into manageable zones, plus most enemies can run to reposition themselves or attack from distance) means that one has always punched above its weight. Plus coaxing baddies off ledges by walking down a bit at the correct part of the screen never gets old.

A classic. Don't expect to like it if you're trying it for the first time today, but if you know you know. [4.5 out of 6]

golden_axe_portada.gif?fit=902%2C557&ssl=1
  • 5. Slay the Princess (Steam/macOS) - 5 Feb (4hrs)
    Visual novel with horror overtones and an intriguing story. Dialogue choices are great, lots of humour, but the voice acting and delivery of the well-written script was the icing on the cake.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 4.The Last of Us Part 1 - 16 Hours - 8/10 - PS5

Played through this again before planning to tackle Part 2 but gonna leave it a little time because the gameplay when you know the story is good but so very, very tiresome and one note.

Game is a stunner, the sound is incredible and it builds a tremendous atmosphere. Another one that works extremely well with the Hue system which I hadn’t anticipated. But it was just very boring after a while. Perhaps I’ve played it too much this being maybe the fourth playthrough, but it is just an interactive movie, there’s no change, no clever AI, it’s just the same everytime.

Still amazing in its own way but I doubt I’ll ever play it again.

8/10

oZZ7E6.gif
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Not the best year to pick this challenge.

So far I'm at YAKLAD (57hrs)

Person 4 Golden (58hrs)

Infinite Wealth (can expect at least 60hrs)

Then FFVII Rebirth, Enshrouded, Persona 3 Remake, Cyberpunk (eventually)
  • 18. Neon White - Switch (not sure how long I played, need to wait another 5 days for the tracker thing to update. 10hrs?)

A game I knew I'd get around to playing eventually. I got fed up with waiting for it to hit Game Pass (much like Solar Ash it's another port that was confirmed then disappeared - 8mths on from the announcement and there's been no further sign of it) so I bought it on sale on Switch.  Thankfully it was money well spent; everyone has a different definition of A Proper Game, but this fits the bill for me - it's superb.  Reviews say it mostly hits 60fps on the geriatric hybrid, and I suppose that's fair, but it does wobble a bit on occasion despite the low poly environments.  It's good on Switch, and I appreciate the way the visials have been stepped on to maintain a high framerate - rather than overreaching and settling for half the fps - but it's such an excellent game I'd advise grabbing it elsewhere unless you plan to play the whole thing undocked (undocked performance was indistinguishable from docked, as far as I could tell). 

Despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews I was never entirely convinced that nippy FPS platform action would work as well as I'd like.  I never played Mirror's Edge, but neither Boomerang X (a lesser-known Devolver Digital Switch console exclusive Edge [8]/Moot [6]) nor Ghostrunner nailed the flow of POV platform-combat action for me.  Somewhat surprisingly, given that first person platforming tends to not quite work imo (even at its best), this wasn't just good, it was truly excellent for a considerable amount of its runtime.

Of the added abilities some ideas are better than others, ergo some chapters are better than others, but the vast majority of them are great.  The discard card system is superb (holding a card gives you firepower of some description, ditching it gives you a brief special move tied to the type of card) and the level design does a great job of mixing optimal route memorisation with a slightly more DIY approach.  There are scrub paths through a stage, there's always a Got Gud speed route and there's occasionally a shortcut to exploit for additional time saving, plus smooth and snappy play can shave multiple seconds off a run anyway.  It's a speedrunner at heart, and the levels are mostly short/designed well enough to tempt the player to improve upon on a received medal immediately.  I can't stress how good it is at what it does, and the core short burst perfection-through-repetition gameplay loop is right up my alley.

There's a plot, there are cut scenes and there are relationships to maintain with peripheral characters.  Thankfully none of this window dressing is necessary, so I didn't bother, but from what I've read the hidden gift hunt in each stage is a worthwhile value booster.  The story can't be skipped outright but can be fast forwarded, which means I got to see a Benny Hill-does-weebo sketch of sorts, with characters sweating, becoming head-clutchingly embarrassed, getting storm cloud enraged at the drop of a hat, seeing hearts/stars/birdies in their eyes, etc. - all while occasionally chirruping short sounds like 'ahh!', 'ohh!' and 'nggg!'. So all the usual guff/goodness then (delete depending on your preferences) at quadruple speed for me, which was almost fun. I don't know what was happening but I'd be surprised if I missed much based on the few exchanges I did watch at standard speed (example: one of the female characters announced that she had a surprise to give the hero right here right now, which he hilariously mistook for incoming sexytime before realising it was just an ability card, ahaha).

I think the bosses will be a sticking point for some, as they're even more rote in terms of 'do this without deviating from the path to success' than most of the rest of the game, but I thought two of them in particular were superb.  There's an annoying bit in one of the stages where you have to rocket jump upwards between glass walls that doesn't feel particularly intuitive in terms of pathfinding, and a few instances of 'where the fuck do I go now then?' that took me out of the flow zone a handful of times, but overall this is Godly indie gaming, and success makes you feel a L33t Gamesmaster challenge champion. 

I only found out after finishing it that it's from the chap behind Donut County, which I always really liked - partly because it was one of the first games I played with Tilly and partly because it was simple, original, low-priced laid-back fun. Laid back this ain't, but it comes within a stone's throw of masterpiece territory on occasion. I had a look at my favourites from 2022 (Immortality, Poinpy, Olli Olli World, Infernax, Rogue Legacy 2, Tunic - what a year!) and this is better than at least two of those. [9]

ezgif.com_gif_maker.gif

• I really need to get my shit together and finally try that. Great write up mate.
  • :thumbs up:

It's all about finding the flowzone and could definitely be a Gavgame.
  • I played a bit on release, liked it, fell into my Pile O' Shame.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Was a shame that everyone on my friends list seem to drift away at the same point. It has global/friend leadboards, plus player ghosts. Someone called Nusku was crushing chapter 1.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    That Neon White looks ace!
  • I only played the demo. It's still on my list of things to play, but that's more of a list of things I'll never have time for at this stage.
  • 19. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch (45-50hrs)

All the booster packs are out so this one can be ticked off.  In its final ultra super deluxe form it now has a ridiculous 96 tracks (each playable in mirror mode, so going by the MD Virtua Racing rule that's essentially 192 courses) and 48 playable characters, ergo I think I'm ready to stick my neck out and state my case for this being quite possibly Nintendo's greatest game of all time. 

Fuck off Moot, said everyone at once (armed with additional shouts of "Super Mario World!" "Breath of the Wild!" and so on), but I'm not as wrong as you think I am if you think about it.  For starters this appeals to an impossibly broad spectrum of gamers.  It's absolutely kid friendly, to the point where 4yr olds could enjoy a few races with the excellent assists activated.  On the flipside of the casual/HARDCORE divide, the time trial mode (and leaderboard/ghost chasing within) is a legit timesink for the srs gamers.  The three laps/three mushrooms TT system is great.  Online play is smooth and seamless drop in/drop out stuff, which never seems to get as much credit as it deserves lest it derails the general 'Nintendo so shit at online lol' narrative.  Split screen with two players is silky smooth (while maintaining most of the glorious sp sheen), and four player local races are much more impressive than you'd expect too.  Battle mode is back, and it's not half bad.  You can system link, if that's your bag, and there's even enjoyment to be eked out of the replay mode - something which I don't think I've said since the days of Sega Rally.  Tilly makes us watch the highlight reel after every single race, and never fails to crease up about something that she slows down at the point of impact.  You can even upload them for others to view, I think.  The graphics are spectacular - astonishing considering its age and roots - and the music is similarly superb, with full effort tunes for each track.  In terms of attention to detail and nice little touches I can't think of anything that comes close really: from the characters eye-tracking incoming shells to the warped music when you get shrunk by a lightning bolt, it's all absolutely top drawer stuff.  And that's without mentioning how well it plays, which is pretty much perfect for an 'everyone is here!' Nintendonly chums Kart racer.  Yes, getting hit by a blue shell is annoying - it's the blue shell, that's what it does.  It's also very satisfying to throw, or to slow down to avoid.  Plus I think you can turn it off for custom matches now.  

It's a nigh-on faultless package.  Considering what it set out to do in 2014(!) and how astonishingly well it achieved and now exceeds these goals, it's an irrefutable [10] for me, and pretty much the most evergreen title I can think of since Tetris.  The newer tracks lack some of the fancypants gloss of the originals, which is a shame, but the earlier dlc waves have almost definitely been spruced up since they appeared, and a good chunk of them look great.  Plus - more importantly - some of the later courses are excellent.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30239-1401804379-4.gif
  • Good shout for this thread, need to get on the DLC.

Amazing game, scary thing is I really can't see a way forward for the series, it's literally been perfected.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Reasonable to put it up there with the all-timers, I think.

It definitely feels like the next one either has to be a Mario Kart Ultimate type thing that is basically just 8 with every track and racer ever or some kind of open-world revolution - I don’t see how they could reiterate on 8.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • 20. Wizard Fire - Arcade (35mins)

Randomly selected isometric Data East wizards & warriors 'RPG' hack 'n slash cum shooter.  It has cutscenes and dwarves/mages and whatnot, along with eight-way directional fire.  RPG is a stretch though - you can pick up trinkets which serve as stat boosts, but death comes so frequently (which scatters the pick-ups on the ground, where they rapidly disappear) they mostly seem a bit pointless.  Checking out serviceable arcade games from 1992 is a good way to be thankful for what we've got today, because this would be truly decimated (or more accurately, totally ignored) if it were to release on a digital storefront as a nu retro experience, even at £2-3.  Battle Axe cost me £6 iirc, and although its basic faux arcade chops are acquired taste it seemed a) heavily inspired by this and b) multiple miles better.  

The last boss in this would've cost about four quid in an arcade anyway, unless I was doing something wrong, but I'd lost interest by that point really.  Do not play this solo, and if you do play it don't pick the bard - I got decimated within seconds every single time I gave him a go.  [1.5 out of 6]

tumblr_mxcy7pPzai1qd4q8ao1_500.gifv

21. Vendetta - Arcade (35mins)

Another belt scroller I've played before, but at least I remembered it this time.  I forgot it had no jump button though, which took a bit of getting used to.  For a brief period of time this had everything a young moot needed from an arcade game, and although I only saw it in the wild once (and only managed to put maybe 60p in) the desperation to play it again stuck with me for ages.  Playable characters are dressed in red, blue, yellow & green T-shirts for easy to track 4 player action, but I played it in Jimmy/Billynomates mode this time (partly because I remembered some unsavoury stuff from the last time I tried a ROM, which I didn't fancy showing Tilly - turns out the vocal, lamp-post/leg humping leather-clad goons were confined to the Jpn version).  

Anyway, this is okay.  In fairness it'd probably only just make the top half of a giant scrolling beat 'em up list but I've got a soft spot for it.  Plus it eventually inspired Final Vendetta (2022), which I've also got a possibly undeserved soft spot for.  THAT GUY LOOKS JUST LIKE HULK HOGAN went a long way with me once upon a time, even though I'd literally never bothered to watched a WWF match (I think I've still only seen one), I just heard other kids talking about it/him/Ultimate Warrior and did wrestling in the playground and so on.  And I had a Million Dollar man figure for some reason (with an arm that you could twist back for a satisfactory thump).  /waffle  [3.5 out of 6]   

vendettastory2.gif

LOVE this screenshot:

220px-Vendetta_%281991_video_game%29_%28screenshot%29.png
  • 22. Steel Assault - Switch (35mins)

A couple of long car journeys the weekend just gone meant I had plenty of Switch time on my hands, but instead of tackling something from the POS I just snoozed and replayed this instead.  I've played it and summed it up in one of these threads before and there's not much to add really, so I think I'll subtract instead - much as I love the game it's not an [8].  The gameplay is solid but isn't as wonderful as the visuals deserve, both sets of music are a wee bit weak and it's too short for the price, even for me.  Sunday's playthrough was on very easy, which meant bosses rolled over and died without the need to pay much attention to patterns - normal difficulty was a different beast but at 5 stages it's still tiny.

In my previous review I said this is one of the nicest looking games I've ever played and I'll double down on that today - it's an incredible looking pixel art game and absolutely pitch perfect in terms of monstrously swish nu retro style.  [7]

If I could hang gifs on my wall, which let's be honest I probably could if I could be bothered to actually look into it, I might pick one of these:

02-potomac-1631729430521.gif

05-boss2-1631729430514_mg9w.gif

8404c775460c03f8b52bd312563310a523f54197.gifv

1ac9149c2806409bf38e1a9aa03d74c540ba0ae8.gifv

steel_assault_1.gif

Glorious.

23. Gear Shifters - Switch (3hrs 18mins)

Top down run based road shooter with unlockable perks and weapons.  I say run based but there's an arcade mode in there, which is how I played, and I presume that halved the runtime. 

It didn't feel particularly well balanced and it's hardly a stretch to assume that plenty of players would find the simplistic arcade driving shmup loop monotonous but I thought this was great fun.  The graphics are far better than I expected, the framerate seems locked at 60 and the Action Fighter/Spy Hunter style road blasting did the trick for me.  It doesn't seem to let you grind, so I assume this gets tricky on the standard YOU DIED GO BACK TO HQ mode, but as the arcade mode adds restart points at the beginning of each stage I wouldn't know.  The full price doesn't feel right to me (£22.99).  It's currently £5.74, hence the purchase, which is well into bargain territory.  Despite the fact that you'll be blasting your way through the stages rather than coaxing enemies to kill each other it shares a few similarities with (the admittedly superior) Swordship in terms of constant positioning shifts depending on hazards.  I find that the why not both? suggestion can be applied to these smaller titles though.

Not perfect but it was worth pulling out the wreckage of the EShop.  One for @DrewMerson, perhaps. [7]

• Steel Assault looks decent, need to put it in the wish list.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Can't see you not liking it. Same goes for Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider (from the Blazing Chrome devs).
  • 24. Planet Cube: Edge - Switch (6hrs)

Can an unknown indie be notoriously difficult?  This does seem to be quite well known for its outrageous trickiness in a very small circle.  Despite being convinced I'd get rattled and bin it thanks to a handful of reviews out there, it really didn't strike me as all that tough.  This clearly reads like a set-up to pull out my own trumpet and blow a victory tune - I'll have the level complete jingle from Castlevania IV pls - but it's more an opportunity to talk about faux retro game difficulty in general really.  My case is this: it doesn't matter how difficult these games are, they often feel easy due to modern checkpointing.  There are plenty of similar-ish games out there but not many with restart points as generous as you'll see here.  On numerous occasions you even get a checkpoint halfway through a short section, which raised eyebrows for me.  Even the bosses have three checkpoints per fight (which is handy because the last phase of a particular fight midway was horrendous).  On the whole then, its hard to see this as difficult no matter how brutal it gets, simply because it's so helpful.  The screen to screen challenge does eventually get mean, it's just tough to commit to a joypad chucking rage because the restarts are never more than 60 seconds back (and usually more like 20).  

The TLDR for all that is don't be put off by the UNPOSSIBLE chat - this is very much possible to anyone versed in 2D platform puzzle shmupping. All it takes is just a little patience. Plus it's a surprisingly good game.  Failure often precedes success, and the majority of the game's runtime will be spent attempting to execute a particular way of clearing an area.  It's very much a Simon says kind of game for the most part, as there's very little leeway for not hitting certain marks at certain points, but this has always been something I like in 2D platfomers - fail, learn, practice, win.  Rinse and repeat. Feedback is mixed on this, which had me waiting for a bigger discount despite the fact that I've always fancied it, but I would have been chuffed with this at £12 (it's currently half price ergo I'm even more chuffed as moot logic says I get to buy something else).  It looks great - the two-tone aesthetic gives it a striking appearance that did this job for me - and plays a very solid game. The puzzle platform obstacle courses are very well designed around the limited moveset and although it has a couple of wobbles with a duff screen here or there (and a touch of undocked slowdown a couple of times), the overall hit rate is way higher than I expected.  A definite [8] for me. If you like this sort of thing it's unlikely this won't be a hit because while it doesn't do anything particularly outstanding, it really doesn't do much wrong. It's not the best pure platformer, it's not the best platform-puzzle learn 'em up and it's definitely not the best shooter, but it blends all these things together with much more assurance than you'd expect. On the hidden gems list it goes; I was very happy with this one as it had me on the hook for almost a week.

I can't seem to find any gifs out there, so here's a screenshot:

006.jpg

...and because it's a lovely looking game here's a trailer:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!