52 Games... 1 Year... 2024 Edition
  • It’s the best game of this gen by quite a long way and there nothing I see on the horizon that looks like it might take that away. I see this as a bit of a missive on how tricky game dev seems to be right now rather than just how good Returnal actually is.
  • 3. Dangun Feveron (PS4) - 14 Jan (5hrs)
    Not as complex or as fun as other Cave shmups, but the wackiness is welcome. The three different modes don't really feel that different and the original Arcade mode isn't as fun for me - I don't likle having to chase my score multipliers on the screen, I want them all to come to me, which is what Super Easy and Fever modes do. Easy platinum, though! :)
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, it’s really not that kinda roguelike, which I know is an issue for some people. It’s not the infinite build variety monster that we’ve seen before and instead works best as something see through for the story and experience. And…the really fucking good gameplay, like, stupidly good.

I'm definitely loving the story and the intrigue.
    One problem may be that I haven't played a proper modern shooter for ages - it's a genre I've avoided though ironically I've started playing a lot more classic arcade shmups.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • 1. Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (N64) - 2hrs

A playthrough of Henry's short campaign that is unlocked after completing the main quest with Cornell. You are tasked with saving 6 children in 7 game days, the levels are from the main quest but are road blocked and more streamlined.

I first played this back in 2021 and gave it a generous 7/10 despite its obvious short comings. For what it is, this a decent little side quest that would definitely be a slice of DLC in modern times. Having said that, anyone who knows the history of this game knows the whole package is basically Castlevania Director's Cut, and what the original release should have been in the first place.

Anyway, now Henry's quest is complete I have unlocked Reinhardt and Carrie's campaigns, which are slightly redesigned from the first game and considered the definitive way to play them. I will come back to this again in a couple of years and finally play Reinhardt's quest.

So yeah much like my original review I enjoyed this. Like I said back then, it is not good, but pure personal enjoyment. The early 3D era was when I was probably into gaming more than ever, and I'm largely immune to the jankiness that came from the generation when developers were still trying to find their feet in a new dimension. 

7/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I didn't even know that existed.
    Always swerved the first on N64, I'm sure there was a reason but can't remember.
  • 2. Sonic the Hedgehog (MD) - 1hr 30mins

Probably the weakest of the Mega Drive Trilogy, but easily the most iconic for me.

I still get a kick out of this game and unlike most, even enjoy the dreaded Marble and Labyrinth Zones. The music is top notch but doesn't quite hit the heights of the second game, which I still think is the pinnacle of the series in that regard.

The biggest negative for me is the last Zone, Scrap Brain. It has a big difficultly spike compared to the rest of the game, is full of cheap deaths, and just poorly designed imo.

There's not many games that transport me back in time, but this is certainly one of them. Iconic as fuck, and gets an extra point for being a serious fanboy head turning title during the great war.

8/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice. Agree that Sonic 2 has the best music of the lot. Just.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    2. Storyteller 5ish hours

This is a really charming, simple but clever little puzzle game you can play on your phone if you have Netflix. Essentially, you are given a single sentence outcome and have to create X number of story frames, which involve scenarios, and placement of characters, to facilitate this.

I'll use a very very early example. If it is something like "love found after loss"

Frame one is character 1 and 2 in the love (wedding) background.

Frame 2 is character 1 looking on at character 2 in the graveyard setting, and character 2 is placed over the grave.

Frame 3 is character 1 with character 3 in the love background.

It gets way more weird and silly and complex from there, often using the same characters for more and more ridiculous settings.

Later modifiers such as "time passing" come in, but it is never more complex to play than drag and drop. There are some extra challenges that are optional that the game throws at you, but it's just an amicable, quick game, ideally suited to a 20-30 minute burst. Much like Into The Breach, it's a great fit for Netflix gaming. I won't remember it at the end of the year, but I enjoyed It.

[7]

NeIAxc7.jpeg
  • I thought they could have done more with it but broadly agree. Enjoyed.

Playing something called Laya's Horizon on Netflix atm, which I'm quite enjoying in small bursts. Still think it's odd that they don't really seem to advertise the gaming side much - I noticed Before Your Eyes has been added recently too. Not sure how that works on a phone though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Persona 4 Golden - PC - 48hrs 30mins more investigative fun with the Scooby gang. This time in a small town where a series of strange murders happen. Even though I owned this many years ago I put off finishing it for one reason or another but I’m glad I came back to it. Overall it’s a great game with that nice loop of limited choices in the day, interspersed with dungeon battles in another world. I think they improved pretty much everything with P5, except this is a tighter story and, if my memory serves me well, a much shorter playtime because of it. It’s a great turned based JRPG [9]
  • How is golden done in 50 hours…?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    2. Storyteller 5ish hours

About 10 years ago I started a thread about a flash game called Today I Die. It could be played and completed in minutes, but it was special.

The dev had some other games, all complete in a shirt time, and all showing concepts - one of which was called Storyteller.

Long story short, I’ve been waiting for this game eagerly for a decade. Like, genuinely one of my most anticipated games.

He added nothing except an Annapurna sheen…
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    How is golden done in 50 hours…?

Just going by what it says on my save file. So after googling it looks like:
    Spoiler:
  • Yessss mate
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Have to say the real solution is pretty bloody obtuse. You’ve got a very small chance of making the “right” decision.
  • I didn't get it first time.  Just reloaded saves and tried again :)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I actually quite liked…
    Spoiler:
  • 3.Star Wars Jedi Survivor - 20 Hours - 9/10 - Xbox Series X

Another I had on the back burner for a while as I wanted to concentrate on it as I loved the first…and I did right…this was even better.

Improved in every way over the first in gameplay and technically. I’m sure it’s been patched a number of times but ran like a dream and it was a lovely example of playing stuff with the Philips Hue system with the bright and colourful environments. Feels much fairer in combat aside from some of the bosses which felt like total cheats with some of their move sets. Enjoyed the story and introducing more elements of The High Republic with some great characters, you can see the twist coming but not to the extent that it does so kept it fun. And it’s still the best Jedi experience with even more lightsaber stances and combat options.

Plus…they manage to fit in a fight against Vader which is absofuckingloutely badass as it’s ace when Vader is his bad self.

Great game, I probably add on at least one point as a Star Wars saddo. Great start to this yesterday in gaming, 910.

nLIkTu.gif
  • 8. SANABI - Switch (8-9hrs)

Grapple-hook platformer I stumbled across while scoping the coming soon section of the EShop a couple of months ago.  The trailer and a solitary review out there at launch were enough to make me cross my fingers and dive in at the 20% off day one price, and I'm happy to report that it delivered beyond my wildest hopes.  Of course I'm always optimistic that things I like the look of and buy will bang, but realistically I know that unknown treasures tend to have a ceiling of greatness.  Admittedly it took me a while to properly get going with it, but once I'd learned to embrace the stop start nature of the playable sections - the action is regularly punctuated by lengthy dialogue scenes - I began to wonder how a game this fucking good can exist in the phantom zone of deep digital storefronts.  In many ways it reminded me of the sublime MO: Astray (my second favourite game of 2020, a year stuffed with absolute belters imo) in the way that a hitherto unknown developer managed to quietly release a gorgeous pixel art side scroller dripping with quality that blew my socks off.

Yes, the front and centre nature of the story may be divisive to some players looking for the balletic carnage teased in trailers, but if you approach this as an action narrative game, which it essentially is, there's a good chance the dyst(r)opian future story beats will hit their mark.  It's not the best written indie game you'll see this month, and it might be the worst in terms of script translation, but the story goes places and as a serial skipper when it comes to this sort of thing I must say that I came away mightily impressed.  To reiterate: I don't often give a flying fuck what's going on in most games ever, but I was on the hook for this because - especially when compared to other indie grappling hook games - it's off the hook.  Some outcomes are overly telegraphed, some scenes are tremendously mawkish, some non-playable segments stretch out for Kojima levels of watch-don't-play, but I thoroughly enjoyed the twisty turny journey.  Action purists be warned though - I'd say the non-playable sections take up somewhere in the region of 40% of the game's runtime (if anything the ratio is even more skewed than Katana Zero, which adopted a similar approach).  I'll add that you can skip the cut-scenes if you so wish, so if anyone ran for the hills feel free to come back - there's a 5hr all-action game here if you want it.  

I've seen this called derivative in one or two of the three or four reviews out there, but that's only true on an I'm-so-basic level.  Of course we've had grappling hook platformers before - I've played a baker's half dozen of them in here over the past few years - but the feeling of control puts this in a completely different space to its peers, imo.  Hyperbole haters, look away now: there aren't a vast number of things in the history of gaming that beat the perfection of the controlled swing mechanic in this.  Once the hookshot has found its mark you can manually boost left or right once per attach, allowing you to fling yourself towards/away from danger (or completely around an object in a circular motion) in the blink of an eye.  Coupled with the snap-to move that's introduced after a few hours it's nigh-on perfect, and even when extra buttons and considerations are chucked into the mix further on I managed to keep on top of it all, to the point where I absolutely obliterated the final few playable sections and felt like a gaming God.  There were a handful moments that were up there with the genuine toppest gaming tiers for me, for reals.  There's a generous bullet time move assigned to the right stick (so generous it never depletes and you can use it as much as you like), but I only found myself reaching for that on a few occasions as I thought the marriage of speed and control was perfect without it. It's all about movement and character placement, to the point where even the combat requires perpetual flow with a constant eye on positioning.  To go back to the start of this paragraph, derivative?  Not for me.  I mean yeah, if that's how you want to roll by all means dismiss it because it looks like (and looks like it plays like) other things, but I'd say there's plenty of originality in the screen to screen moments here.  The closest thing I can think of in terms of inertia and grapple is an incredibly difficult indie platformer called Remnants of Nazareth, which I thought I really liked until it bullied me into submission.

Visually I thought this was stunning.  Mileage may vary on this as it manages to conjoin almost cheap looking environment art with phenomenally well animated, sumptuously lit pixel characters to magnificent effect.  It's a wonderful looking game.  The music is great too.  The repetitive rousing synth choons are a great fit for the checkpoint to checkpoint action, and there are some truly excellent pieces elsewhere.  

I'll briefly get the negatives out the way, as unfortunately there are a few: It chugs a bit in one section on Switch, but otherwise I'll tip my hat to the mostly flawless performance.  The final section doesn't deliver the all-guns-blazing boss rush majesty I was looking for, and despite the fact that I enjoyed the way the story wrapped up I'd say the last hour was an anticlimax in terms of action.  I've played a lot of checkpoint indie platformers in my time, and modern gamers be warned: restarts are often a screen or two meaner than I've come to expect from this sort of thing.  It's not quite piss-take territory, but it dips a toe in old school more than most similar titles.  It's a mostly well balanced balancing act though, and also slightly easier on the whole than anything approaching masocore.  You'll die and you'll be punished, but you'll rarely make the same mistakes twice.  Although having said that, there's a particular way to die by getting trapped inside a danger zone, then having to watch helplessly as your character's health drains before you can escape that should have been rejigged or patched out.  There's also an unnecessarily average vehicle section (MO: Astray parallels ahoy!) in the middle that would have been absolutely fine if they'd had the presence of mind to put the vehicle at the bottom of the screen instead of the middle as it ascends.  And yes, some of the cut-scenes do go all on for just a bit too long.  Still, all grumbles are minor.

There are no power ups.  There are no secrets tucked away in the stages that lead to upgrades or permanent health boosts.  There are no equippable* charms or perks, and (with very pedantic exceptions) there's only ever one route to take through each zone.  In some ways it's steadfastly old-fashioned, but perhaps moreso than other primo pixel Moot 'em ups (such as Flynn: Son of Crimson, Gravity Circuit or Infernax, all of which take aim at an approximation of a time and place), it's also hugely accomplished at doing its own thing. For even more kudos it's a speedrunner's delight too.  

Another long review then, but I'm so impressed with this, and none of the blemishes took enough of a chunk out of a big fat [9].  Someone play this please. 

%EB%A9%94%EC%9D%B8.gif?t=1699513185

*42 years old and I've only just discovered this isn't a real word.

Yes it does play as good as it looks.
  • I may take a peek soon.

EDIT: Ah this is a game I said a while back I would keep an eye on.  Lovely.  I'll get it after... Jusant and A Space for the Unbound.
  • Nice. Sending a smoke signal up to @Tempy in an attempt to repay the MO: Astray rec. Not that I can pinpoint exactly why I think they complement each other.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Will I like it?
  • Not sure. I'd probably say Elf is more likely to get on with it than you on the whole, even though the gameplay is more your cup of tea? It regularly takes control away from the player for the chatty bits. Not my thing on paper either.
  • 9. Goodbye Volcano High - PS5 (4-5hrs)

Interactive visual novel/cartoon that also purports to be a rhythm game.  I thought the rhythm sections were absolute pish, so thankfully the rest of it was pretty good.  Your choices affect relationships between characters and you'll drift apart from some and grow closer to others as the story moves towards a set ending.  It does nothing spectacular but I liked it, and after deliberating for ages due to the PEGI rating I did allow Tilly to play it with me in the end.  I'm glad I did - I'd let her read a graphic novel with low-level-teen themes, for example, so I don't see why I should block this just because it's a videogame.  Still, there's a big gap between nine & a half and sixteen, so I was a bit worried characters would start shagging each other or huffing glue or whatever young people do for fun these days.  It turned out to be a very mild 16, and was worth a handful of F-bombs for the questions/discussions it prompted, often dealing with LGBT themes in a way that came across as natural rather than forced.  The music was okay too, despite everything sounding a bit like a power dreampop facsimile of Phoebe Bridgers on an off day, and the slow burn angsty drama paid off for me.  Not a classic (it's no A Night in the Woods), but an enjoyable time.  [7]

Anyway, enough from me.  Here's Tilly's take.  She gets her pronouns muddled but she's trying:

20240122-071233.jpg
    20240122-062537.jpg
    20240122-062539.jpg

SSL = Secondary School Life, apparently.  Not sure what she means with the bad words line.  Either rushing it or taking the piss out of her own review.  Also 'hated the ending' is an understatement; she was livid.  Possibly signs off as 'Tillydafivestarreview' these days, can't make it out.
  • I was wondering how website certification fitted into it.

Great review.
  • Here's a bunch of arcade games I've blitzed in co-op recently. I have bought to many of these on Switch in compilations and on the Arcade Achieves line, they've been sitting in my Pile O Shame to long, so I'm determined to at least play them through once to get some value for my money.

As usual, they're coin guzzlers for the most part, and spamming virtual coins in is not the best way to legitimately judge them, so I'll keep it brief. 

3. 1942 (Arcade) - 1hr 10mins 

The original in the 19XX series, and a solid start. Simple as you like, nice clean graphics, and hard as nails. Goes on a bit too long, and loses a point for being the only entry that's not co-op, but a classic.

6/10 

4. 1943: The Battle of Midway (Arcade) - 50mins 

Came out 3 years later, everything is slightly better and it's a bit shorter so doesn't drag as much. Also you now have a fuel meter which slowly depletes, but is refillable by collecting power ups. It also doubles up as a life bar, so one hit kills are out which helps with the difficultly. 

8/10 

5. 1941: Counter Attack (Arcade) - 30mins 

Another 3 years later, this one adds scenery that you can bump into that sends your plane into rotation shooting in all directions. This might be used strategically, but I didn't get a feel for it. As a result the stages feel a lot narrower, and for me less enjoyable. Worst of the bunch.

5/10 

6. 19XX: The War Against Destiny (Arcade) - 35mins 

A whopping 5 years before this one dropped in '95. As a result the art style is completely different thanks to the jump to the CPS-2 hardware. This one is set in a fictional WWIII, and the art style just looks a bit off. Also with the new hardware there's now far more going on on screen, it's more of a bullet hell and a lot tougher as a result.

6/10 

7. 1944: The Loop Master (Arcade) - 45mins 

Released in 2000 and as the name suggests, set back in WWII. Graphics are gorgeous in this one, very detailed but not to the point of not being able to see what's going on. When you die in this one all your power ups remain on screen which you can then retrieve, also this one plays in 4:3 which helps it not feel quite as claustrophobic. Both of these help with the difficulty which is a big plus point for me, for as much as I enjoy shoot 'em ups I'm not particularly good at them.

8/10 

8. Varth (Arcade) - 1hr 10mins 

Released in 1992, this may as well be part of the 19XX series. The unique aspect in this is the inclusion of items called pods. When collected they follow you and carry weaponry of their own, they also double up as a shield. Decent but not particularly memorable, and another one that's too difficult and drags on.

6/10 

9. Ikari Warriors (Arcade) - 30mins 

Ridiculously hard, to the point of feeling broken. The big deal with this back upon release was that it used a 12-way rotary joystick, that may fix the broken feeling you get compared to playing with modern controls, but I doubt it helps with the difficulty. I have a slight soft spot for it due to the NES port being one of the dozen games I was lucky enough to receive with my second hand console, and this is vastly superior to that awful port, Ultimately though, a bit pish.

4/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice. I played through a few of those a couple of years ago, also really enjoyed Loop Master.
  • 10. Sonic Superstars - PS5 (3-4hrs)

This had a few surprisingly positive reviews at launch and reached my biting point price-wise, so I grabbed it for a co-op run through with Tilly as she's also quite partial to a bit of 2D Sonic.  First impressions were ghastly, and although things picked up over time I couldn't shake the overriding feeling that it's an absolute piss-take to advertise this as an mp centric Sonic experience.  It's no more designed with multiple players in mind than grabbing a second pad for to control Tails in Sonic 2, which always felt somewhere between a happy accident and welcome concession anyway, yet the trailers suggested co-op was a prominent feature here.  Other than the fact that when a player that dies or gets left behind they can press X to rejoin the action, it's still a hugely shoehorned experience that barely works at all with two players (or God forbid, more), as someone will always be miles (or Knuckles or Amy!) behind on the rollercoaster.  Half the play time was spent with Tilly moaning at me for not waiting for her, but even when I was actively trying to take it easy Sonic's gonna Sonic, and springs/propulsion devices will continually fling one player off the screen.  With two players involved the camera seemingly uses a coin toss to decide which character to focus on, which of course accentuates the janky bollocks.  It's not right, and I think it's slightly repulsive that Sega billed this as an mp Sonic when it's such a mess outside of solo play.

Which is a shame, because there's a solid Sonic game here.  The character movement and inertia feels right in a 3D graphics/2D plane effort for once, and there are some genuinely good gimmicks in a few of the stages (and some atrocious ones, like the low visibility sphere in the jungle stages, which, is a disastrous decision for a Sonic game with one player, letalone two or more on screen at once).  Unfortunately my praise can't stretch much higher than solid even with one player, because it still falls short in a few important areas.  Stage themes are mostly a bit shoulder shrug - even the ones with neat mechanics like the ground pound in Press Island (Gardens? Whatever) - and the music just sort of quietly bops along without even sticking its head above meedy.  Take the pointless spinning special zones as an example: CLICK HERE TO BE BORED.  It sounds a wee bit like the special stage from Sonic 1 right?  Albeit phoned in from one-off-the-wrist zone.  I refuse to believe whoever composed that sat back and thought NAILED IT.  While I'm on the subject of special stages, the emerald grab zones might be the worst main bonus stage design in Sonic history.  Don't quote me on that, because I'd have to jog the memorybanks a bit to be sure, but they're truly awful and I can't see how they got the green light in 2023 given that they make very little sense and don't seem to actually work properly.  We ended our first (and only) playthrough with 5 of 7 emeralds, so this isn't sour grapes talking either - they're genuinely really bad and I think we just got lucky.  Emeralds are vaguely interesting here as each one gives you a new ability, but the vast majority of them add very little to the Sonic experience.  Oooh, a special move that allows me to swim up waterfalls if I activate it in the correct place?  I'll be bothering to use that never then, ta.

Bosses are a bit different here, and weirdly enough the annoying stretches where multi-phase guardians got a bit tricky were probably the highlight of the game for me.  None are great, but some are quite good.  One of them felt like it wasn't finished and they just chucked it in anyway (a robot that pounded the ground with a massive battering ram felt like it had been lifted straight from the cutting room floor).  Either way though, they're not really Sonic in feel, which isn't necessarily a good thing - it's maybe not a series renowned for great bosses but there have been some really good ones over the years.  The graphics are a bit dull too - it looks like an HD OG Xbox game to me, with some of the backgrounds looking particularly limp.  

I bought this as a two player experience as that's what I'd been led to believe it was aiming for, which left me disappointed to say the least.  Even though the core single player game isn't half bad, and probably a smidge better than Colors and Generations, I can't swallow the cheek of the family friendly 4-player lie.  One more quick moan while I'm here: the interactive end credits sequence is an abomination.  It's just a repeated loop of randomly placed platforms and rings that plays out behind seemingly neverending credits, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.  I know games started to do this a while back, and I think Sega may have been trailblazers here (Monkey Ball was one of the first that springs to mind), but this one's so awful I came away a little bit obsessed with how it made it into the final game.  If you're playing with two players one character gets permastuck to the back of the auto-scrolling screen anyway, and it doesn't even count your rings when the credits finally stop rolling.  Honestly it's mind bogglingly pointless.  If the devs weren't already sheepish about releasing on the same day as Mario Wonder they should be made to play the interactive credits sequences side by side and flagellate themselves for the lack of effort. 

Anyway, enough on this.  There's a welcome classic Sega reference towards the end and it's not a bad game really, it's just an exceedingly lazy one imo.  Not fit to shine Mania's speedy boots and not worth the £30 I paid.  Wait for a Chalice, Sonic fans. [6]  

[5] for mp, [7] for sp, if you want that score expanded.   

dce4e2d4baa57bd922be3d5c978bf85c2c67015e.gif
  • I'll bite at some point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!