52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Confession: I've never seen Rambo part II (or III for that matter), but I'm interested now that I know the big boss at the end is the head of a giant mechanised rock monster hiding in the final room of a futuristic lair.

Yeah, that part of the movie is a real treat.

Good write ups, Moot.
  • 31. The Terminator (Mega CD) - 1hr 30mins

Gotta say I'm very impressed at the overall presentation in this game. It follows the plot of the film remarkably well all things considered. It even throws in some footage from the movie in-between levels to fill in the blanks, although it's about as grainy as a video captured on a mobile phone from the turn of the century, god bless the Mega CD.

The graphics are decent and the soundtrack it outstanding, but unfortunately it falls short when it comes to the gameplay.

It's quite basic and clunky. Most of the time you just find yourself crouching with the enemies bullets going over your head whilst you shoot their kneecaps. Worse still if an enemy shoots low its so hard to avoid your just better off just going toe to toe with them, I think the developers knew this as there are plenty of health pickups littered throughout the levels. Then there's the stairs, when climbing or decending them you can only shoot in that diagonal direction. So if an enemy is out of range you have to awkwardly jump and shoot numerous times until you take them out. 

It not unplayable though, and I did enjoy my playthrough. It's by far the best Terminator game I have played but that's not saying much.

5/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It’s on Mega CD ‘best of’ lists, I demand you like it more than this!!1
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I was a bit more generous earlier this year:

https://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/2237435#Comment_2237435

My score has a healthy dash of 'would've been pretty good at the time'.  It's not all that really.
  • It's better than the overrated True Lies, I'll give it that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 50: Whisker Squadron Survivor (PC) 6/10

This is a bit of a rogue Star Wing which is a pretty good idea on paper and there's not much bad about it but it's also a bit dull. It's got futuristic purple cartoon graphics. Your reasonably cool looking fighter jet flies over unremarkable scenery and shoots forgettable enemies. You get a good drip feed of level ups with a choice of 3 power ups but the levels drag on a little too long. It's still in early access and may get better. Will keep an eye on it but it's a little underwhelming for now.

51: Mario Kart 8 Complete (10/10)

Not much to say about it, in that I agree it's gotta be the most complete and best arcade racers and probably the best thing on Switch. On our last day of work for the year we had a MK8 tournament - I couldn't get it done but did come second which I was proud off, given I was the oldest bloke there. Was good fun!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well paced
  • It's worked out well this year!
  • 10. Elden Ring (PS5) - 24 Dec (100 hrs)
    Co-op playthrough with my boy. My third completion. Started in May last year and majority of play was in 2022. Picked up again recently and managed to beast through it. Beautiful game.
    [10]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nice. Does Elden Ring have proper co-op, or the assist thing from the older From games?
  • Similar to previous. But summon areas are a lot more abundant.
  • 52: Nex Machina (PC) 9/10

Thank Christ. I mostly reinstalled this game because I knew it was quick to beat and I hadn't played it in quite a long time. That's very disrespectful though because it's such a great game and there's a lot you can say about it. It looks and feels great with its neon explosions and tight twin stick shooting and maneuvering. But I've barely scratched the surface with trying out the special weapons or finding secrets. I'm a very, very low level player who only beat the game thanks to its generous easy mode, where it's pretty much impossible to not reach the credits through attrition.

I understand why Housemarque don't do this kind of thing anymore but, even though I loved Returnal, I'm too intimidated to replay that again, but I'll be happy to play this once every couple of years or so.
  • Housemarque so best. Nice work, Wario. 

And I remember you really working hard to get through Returnal - was great to see you make progress and smash it.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I wish they would do a collection of those games. I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Would take that over Returnal every day of the week.
  • Even (the not so highly regarded) Matterfall is well worth playing imo. It does have an abysmal final boss though.
  • Nex Machina is a GOAT!!!
  • Housemarque so best. Nice work, Wario.  And I remember you really working hard to get through Returnal - was great to see you make progress and smash it.

Cheers mate!  That thread really felt like a support group at times and I’ll think of it whenever I think of the game.  Not sure I’d have gotten there without you guys!  

Will never forget the feeling when the last boss was seconds away from being beaten, and it was clear that it was finally going down, I was that pumped up I was legit worried my heart was going to give out for a moment, never experienced anything close to that in a game before.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Even (the not so highly regarded) Matterfall is well worth playing imo. It does have an abysmal final boss though.

Nice!  I did manage to find a cheap copy on disc, but only tried the first level.  Really seemed like a game where you have to get used to the button layout, and it felt a little strange.  Will give it a proper try soon.
  • The last game I put here was on Feb 19th with game number 11. Really haven't done much this year but I'll be catch-up posting for a bit. 

12. Pokemon Violet (Switch)
    Never had any interest in this franchise. Never touched any of it. But since the kid got into computer games I’m now on my third Pokemon title. New Snap, Go, and now this, the first proper one.

I realise there’s a layer to this of collecting and online matches and team ups that I don’t get and didn’t get into. I don’t know anything about that. And the campaign in this is so lightweight that I didn’t need to get into the intricacies of the battle system. And that is probably what keeps the punters coming back. So I can only talk about it as a bog standard single player adventure.  

And on that level, it’s pretty awful. Graphically it’s somewhere close to a 3DS game. The pop in when you’re travelling around is so bad that you can accidentally start a battle against a Pokemon because it suddenly springs into existence right in front of you. 

The game doesn’t go anywhere, it’s very repetitive, there’s no challenge, things are explained poorly. I’m playing Arceus with the kid at the moment and that’s got it’s own share of problems. They should make one game and work on that until it’s good. Because everything I’ve played feels half-baked and punted out the door.

Pros are that it's pretty funny sometimes. I enjoyed the Clive character. And Larry, the Exceptional Everyman. I like the music.  

Played both DLCs as well now. The first one isn’t much to write home about, the second one is more expansive, allows you to fly about, more Pokemon. It’s fine. The kid has gone Pokemon crazy over the past few months. 
    [6]
  • 13. Good Job (Switch)
    They did a bad job. A good concept very badly implemented. Perform routine office dogsbodying as destructively and chaotically as possible. But the devs were either lazy, slapdash or hated themselves and their customers. Bugs and environmental problems everywhere. And in most cases, they're obvious and easy to fix. They fill the levels with tiny little breakable props, the wreckage of which lies around on the floor and creates a million tiny little obstacles. It’s obvious this is a problem from just playing the game for ten minutes. You don’t even need extensive playtesting. Just play it once and see. 
    Option 1: Don’t have so much of it.
    Option 2: Most props should lose their collision detection once smashed. 
    Option 3: Smashed scenery disappears after a while. 
    Option 4: Punt out the door asap without any attempt at a fix and make players wade, knee-deep, through an ocean of broken, immovable detritus.

Spend too long on a level or break too many bits of scenery and you get a crash. The kid used to like mucking around rather than getting on with things. But you spend anything over twenty minutes on a level and you’re risking losing all your progress. Some of the more annoying and long-winded levels might go over this length naturally. So I’ve endured a few of them multiple times. 

The gameplay is really quite tedious as well. Water 250 flowers and then go over all of them again because there's one you can't see somewhere that hasn't been checked off. No visual clues as to which one it might be. 
    Or clean up 100% of the goo and you're stuck on 99% and then spend 10 minutes cleaning up a mountain of boxes and rubble to see if there's any goo pixels underneath.

Once in a blue moon, it works as it should. You've got to get something somewhere and you find a satisfying and destructive way to, I dunno, blast a executive on an office chair through a window into a meeting room or something. Most of the time, you're wheeling things around and trying to avoid getting stuck on the scenery. 

With all that said, I don’t actually hate the game. I played it and didn’t hate my time with it. But it is really badly made. The kid enjoyed it which is the only reason I stuck it out beyond the first level. 
    [5]
  • 14. Dorf Romantik (Switch)
    Tepid, lightweight world builder. You get hexagonal tiles and can put them anywhere but you get bonus points if you link together the edges of the tiles with identical elements, eg trees connecting with other trees. That's the game. Maybe some people find it relaxing. Those people are wrong. It's boring. 
    [5]

15. Super Mario Wonder (Switch)
    A good 'un. [9.5]

16. Pokemon Legends Arceus (Switch)
    More garbage, this time with a slightly tweaked battle system. 
    [7]
  • 17. Civization Revolution (PS3 via Steam Deck)
    For a few months back in the day, I was obsessed with this on the 360 (although the textures don’t work properly for that version when emulating, hence the platform switch). Then when I got this working on the Deck, I was obsessed again for a couple of weeks. It’s not full Civ but as long as you’re happy with some Civ Lite, it’s amazing. The one-more-go-ness is off the charts. It depends on the situation you get into but you can polish off a game in 2-3 hours. 

But it does reach a point where it’s no longer deep enough or challenging enough to be engaging. Well, to be more precise, the second difficulty from top is easily doable and the AI cheats outrageously on the top difficulty, leaving you nowhere to go.
    [9]
  • A couple more I'm finishing off over the next couple of days and I'll dig up another quick one to get up to 20 for the year.
  • Yep, A Good Job was shit. I had to co-op that too. The Stretchers is much better.
  • Hold everything. I forgot about this.

18. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Gameboy)
    Really crap. There’s two short levels as John Connor in the future, then a T800 reprogramming mini game, a quick and easy motorbike bit, a level walking around Cyberdyne as Arnie, then a level where you have to shoot the T1000 backwards until it falls into the big vat. That’s the only bit that's hard because you need ammo to drop in from the ceiling to keep pushing him back but it’s random so sometimes you have to just wait until you get the drops you need. It was only when seeing some other game versions of this recently for the retro thread that I’ve realised it’s one of the better efforts. Anyway, it’s alright for the 20 minutes it takes to complete. [5]
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yep, A Good Job was shit. I had to co-op that too. The Stretchers is much better.
    Co-op play with the kid is done for a bit. Now there is only Pokemon. 'Playing together' is me doing the grinding and levelling up when she's bored of it.
  • That GB T2 sounds like a masterpiece compared to the 16-Bit versions.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I never want to play anything like that MD T2 again. I feel soiled.
  • 19. Mega Man 3 - from Mega Man Legacy Collection (Switch)
    The same old mix of tight platforming, unfair level layouts and tricky bosses. Used save states and the odd, dirty rewind to take the edge off the frustrating bits. It’s probably the best of the three NES ones that I’ve worked through so far. They’re all the same but this had less unfairness and useless weapons than the other two. Good shit. [7]
  • 32. Castlevania Legends (GB) - 2hrs 12mins 

So, this has always had a reputation as one of the worst Castlevania's, so my expectations were low going in. You take control of Sonia Belmont this time around, there are five levels with a hidden sixth, and two different endings, there are a few of things that set it apart from earlier games though.

Instead of the usual sub weapons you instead receive Soul Weapons upon beating the end level bosses. They are 'Wind' which freezes enemies just like the stop watch, 'Flame' which damages all enemies on screen, 'Magic' which makes you temporarily invincible, each of these use 5 hearts. Then there is 'Saint' which shoots out a wave of energy for 1 heart, and finally 'Ice' which restores all your health for whopping 20 hearts. As well as these you now have mechanic called 'Burning Mode', this is activated by pushing A and B together and lasts about 10 seconds until the burning gauge runs out. During this time you are invincible, move at twice the speed and inflict twice the damage. This can only be used once per level, or per life.

The game is linear for the most part, but playing as such will only get you the normal 'bad ending'. Each level does split into different paths, one leads to the boss whilst the other leads to a relic. Each level has one and you need to collect all five in order to get the second 'good ending'. There is also a hidden level midway through level five, it's a bit off the beaten path but nothing a Castlevania veteran shouldn't be able to sniff out. It's not quite Rondo of Blood but I don't think this game gets enough kudos for this, it's doing a lot more than the other two Game Boy entries.

Unfortunately where this game falls short is the level and enemy design, it's just so bland and uninteresting. There are a handful of standard enemies that you see over and over again. The bosses are ok but any challenge posed is broken by the 'Burning Mode' and 'Ice' Soul Weapon, you can just easily spam them, giving no real need to learn their patterns.

The plot is now non-cannon for better or worse thanks to Koji Igarashi. I like the fact the penultimate boss is Alucard, he wants to kill his Father himself, so by beating him he allows you the honour. He then returns to his coffin to sleep, presumably until awoken by Trevor Belmont in Castlevania III, that's pretty good. What isn't is finding out in the good ending that Sonia has a baby by Alucard making every Belmont a descendant of Alucard, that's a bit Eastenders esque, so maybe Igarashi was right to strike this one from the books afterall.

So, does this game deserve its reputation? Kinda, I think Castlevania (MSX), Castlevania Adventure (GB) and Haunted Castle (Arcade) are all definitely worse. For me it's probably next along with Simon's Quest, both are flawed but at least they spiced things up/aimed a bit higher. It's a bad Castlevania, but for me that doesn't equate to an all out bad game.

5/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • monkey wrote:
    17. Civization Revolution (PS3 via Steam Deck)
    For a few months back in the day, I was obsessed with this on the 360 (although the textures don’t work properly for that version when emulating, hence the platform switch). Then when I got this working on the Deck, I was obsessed again for a couple of weeks. It’s not full Civ but as long as you’re happy with some Civ Lite, it’s amazing. The one-more-go-ness is off the charts. It depends on the situation you get into but you can polish off a game in 2-3 hours. 

But it does reach a point where it’s no longer deep enough or challenging enough to be engaging. Well, to be more precise, the second difficulty from top is easily doable and the AI cheats outrageously on the top difficulty.
    [9]

I also was obsessed with this on 360 back in the day. I discovered there is an ios version and it's just as much like crack.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!