Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • The Champion Edition bootlegs were the only reason we got Hyper Fighting.

Otherwise it would have went straight to Super Street Fighter II.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I remember black belt edition too - mostly at the travelling fair that came through our town twice a year
  • Speaking of shit 90s movie tie-ins, snesdrunk has just covered Time Cop on SNES:

https://youtu.be/Pau1bIVIwuY?si=oAzObe_KhBMbMjl1
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was going to post their Batman Forever Arcade video but they're so smashed they quite liked it.
  • Is anyone giving Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game a go for this?
  • I've still not seen the film.
  • It's terrible brilliant
  • I've played the game briefly though, and from memory it's....not as terrible as the whole film/reputation shebang suggests?  Definitely remember thinking it was better than some console 2D Vs fighters of the era (only dabbled on an emulator maybe 5years ago tho).
  • A few thoughts on this... I went through the whole 'let's buy the game of the film' phase as a kid and young teen - Ghostbusters 2 or Licence to Kill or The Last Crusade on the Atari ST - took me ages to learn they were all crap. Then discovered Alien Trilogy and Die Hard Trilogy and wondered if things were changing. However going through ROM lists I cannot believe how saturated with crap adaptations the PS1, 2 and GameCube generations still were.

Street Fighter the movie is definitely the game most likely to actually be an ouroboros

Total Recall (Amiga/ ST) sticks for me because I love the art for the characters - the artist worked on Rubicon which is a really nice looking shooter

Universal Soldier is notable as it's Turrican given a tie-in skin

(Okay, not a 90s film but the game was released in 1990) I never owned the full game but my best mate and I played the demo of BttF 2 to death back in the day - it was the nearest we had to a game with skateboarding in it!

Robocop 3 is probably one of the tiny % of tie ins that is better than the actual film.

I sort of miss the days of really crappy TV tie-ins. I keep trying to summon the courage to play Allo Allo on emulator

City of Lost Children deserved a better adaptation

Die Hard Trilogy is still great

The Mask has surprisingly high review scores so I may have to play it

Lots of surprisingly decent tie-ins seem to be on PC only which is irritating. I want to play Monty Python's The Meaning of Life and Muppet Treasure Island.

The Jaguar has a platform exclusive adaptation of White Men can't jump?! And it got quite a few positive reviews.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • License to Kill on spectrum seemed amazing at the time, level 2 in particular was a favourite (each level was a different genre of game). No idea if it is actually good or not with 2023 eyes.
  • Some of the ex Game employees here might have a better memory but I seem to remember a time when game shops were brimming with Who Wants to be a Millionaire on PS1. It was as common as FIFA.
  • Weakest Link as well.
  • I was working there for the Xmas the crazy frog game dropped

The streets will never forget.
  • I spent big bucks (probably £9.98 from Stretford Arndale's John Menzies) on the C64 version of Red Heat back in '91 '89. The big sprites on the back of the big box version had me sold. Got it home and quickly realised Ocean had done me, box graphics were the Amiga1200 version and the game was not only really shit, it was really shit.

Decent sountrack mind you.

Just loaded up the 1200 version and it's playable tbf. Graphics are decent too.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • 38 minutes of headbutting, hahaha
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Is anyone giving Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game a go for this?

I played it in here back in 2020, gave it a 3/5 worth checking out I reckon.

@Moot_geeza well done for persevering with Batman Forever, sound like a true stinker but at least you saw the credits after putting all that time in.

I tried Star Wars Arcade on the 32X, it seems ok but I see it has a co-op mode so I will save this for when I have someone to play with.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice. I always thought it was supposed to be a dud as well but I guess as you said its just kind of irrelevant.
    Its definitely a unique idea though Game of Movie of Game that isn't really like the original game. Like multimedia Chinese Whispers.
  • Speaking of shit 90s movie tie-ins, snesdrunk has just covered Time Cop on SNES:

https://youtu.be/Pau1bIVIwuY?si=oAzObe_KhBMbMjl1

He did a whole vid on SNES action movie games.
    TLDW - they're all shit apart from True Lies which is good and Cutthroat Island which is ok
  • The Terminator (Mega CD)

Gotta say I'm very impressed at the overall presentation in this game. It follows the plot of the film remarkably well all things considered. It even throws in some footage from the movie in-between levels to fill in the blanks, although it's about as grainy as a video captured on a mobile phone from the turn of the century, god bless the Mega CD.

The graphics are decent and the soundtrack it outstanding, but unfortunately it falls short when it comes to the gameplay.

It's quite basic and clunky. Most of the time you just find yourself crouching with the enemies bullets going over your head whilst you shoot their kneecaps. Worse still if an enemy shoots low its so hard to avoid your just better off just going toe to toe with them, I think the developers knew this as there are plenty of health pickups littered throughout the levels. Then there's the stairs, when climbing or decending them you can only shoot in that diagonal direction. So if an enemy is out of range you have to awkwardly jump and shoot numerous times until you take them out. 

It not unplayable though, and I did enjoy my playthrough. It's by far the best Terminator game I have played but that's not saying much.

2/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was working there for the Xmas the crazy frog game dropped

The streets will never forget.

New Crazy Frog game dropped quite recently…

Wait, no, that was Gollum.
  • nick_md wrote:
    License to Kill on spectrum seemed amazing at the time, level 2 in particular was a favourite (each level was a different genre of game). No idea if it is actually good or not with 2023 eyes.

Level 2 was that surprisingly tactical top-down shooter level? I really liked that stage, just because it was pretty novel for the time.

Another good Bond game from the era was The Spy Who Loved Me.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently there was a surprisingly good Willow Zelda-alike for the NES that released in Europe in 1993…
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • nick_md wrote:
    License to Kill on spectrum seemed amazing at the time, level 2 in particular was a favourite (each level was a different genre of game). No idea if it is actually good or not with 2023 eyes.

Level 2 was that surprisingly tactical top-down shooter level? I really liked that stage, just because it was pretty novel for the time.

Another good Bond game from the era was The Spy Who Loved Me.

Yep, the top down level with the cross hair you move around iirc, cracking level that. Never finished the whole game but did get up to the last level once or twice, I think, driving tankers around. Will have to watch a playthrough sometime as I did really enjoy it as a kid.
  • Just checked and the whole playthrough is like 6mins haha. I must've been shite but in fairness I was 6 when it came out.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Had a quick go of the unreleased Waterworld game for the Mega Drive (which I swear actually had a review in Sonic the Comic - maybe it was cancelled at the last minute) - a bit like Desert Strike but in the sea and not as good.

Also tried Toy Story for the Mega Drive which uses a bunch of tricks to produce some nice-looking graphics but plays pretty meh.
  • Toy Story seems like one of those games that pushed the hardware in ways that were technically impressive but never really had the gameplay chops to back it up. I know it's considered An Actual Good Game, but I've never got that front retro visits. Looks crap now too, a lot of that technical trickery hasn't stood the test of time imo - standard/basic 16-bit stuff looks better to me these days.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The main guy that worked on it documented all the tricks it used in YouTube (worth noting that since he started the YouTube, a few people he used to work with have piped up and said he was a bullying shit). It sounds like the development was rushed to meet the release of the film so it’s not a surprise the gameplay doesn’t seem very refined.
  • I always think Water world is a side scroller but that's the Simpsons gag.
  • I played T2 on the Gameboy which is bad but I know what I'm doing with it and blitzed it in 20 minutes.
    Then I played two and a half levels of T2 on the Megadrive which I've never played before. Awful. Properly unpleasant. An assault on the senses. Name an aspect of a videogame and it does it very badly. I couldn't go on.
  • I tried Die Hard Trilogy on the Playstation as well which I've never touched but seemed to remember some fun looking taxi driving level around New York. However far that is into the game, I'll never see it. First level was a weird third person shooting thing with bizarre controls. Couldn't get to grips with it. I think I was supposed to rescue hostages but I think I shot them all.

Also gave True Lies a bash for a few minutes. Another weird one that I had no idea how to play. That's got a reasonable rep though so I'll give it another shot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!