Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • I enjoyed The Killer but
    Spoiler:
    Would deffo recommend though.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I'm getting value out my BFI sub thus far.  I used to own M on DVD - had the Eureka Masters of Cinema edition. Not sure why I got rid of it to be honest. Glad to hear of someone else who enjoyed The Killer. I was beginning to think I was alone in that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    I enjoyed The Killer but
    Spoiler:
    Would deffo recommend though.

I sort of liked that. It was a break from the usual ending to these things.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wings of Desire Late 80s film that looks and feels French new wave . Set in Berlin, Bruno Ganz is a sort of guardian angel who tires of watching and hearing mortal thoughts and wants to experience being real.

Peter Falk appears as himself on a WW2 film set which isn't something you see every day.

Beautiful looking film. One of those ones you know you need to watch again as there's a great deal of dialogue.

This is the 3rd film I've seen Ganz in (Downfall and Werner Herzog's superb Nosferatu) and he's brilliant in this too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hellboy (2019)
    Hmmmm.. not sure this was necessary. It isn't bad but it isn't as good as the first two. Perlman is better in the lead though David Harbour is very good too. It's just that Perlman was born to play Hellboy. The story is good and there's a lot going on but some dodgy CGI just makes it look a bit cheap in places and language is too fruity for universal viewing. The acting talent deserved better here though I'm sure Stephen Graham had fun in his role.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Robocop (2014) - avoided this for a long time as I’d heard it was a steaming pile of poo. And it’s not great but it’s not that bad. The cast is surprisingly solid (Jackson, Oldman and Keaton were surprising big hitters). The action is fine but doesn’t really build on the original. And that is the main problem with everything in the film. Apart from nicer FX (and a weak attempt to add more to Murphy’s family story) it doesn’t build on the original. It’s too serious to follow the high satire of the original (due to the family emotional element) and it lacks any of the dialogue that made the OG a classic. Even the bad guy didn’t seem that bad. They should have spent the money on a new IP film [5].
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, I’ve been in two minds about watching new Hellboy for the same reasons. The Perlman/Del Toro combo was just too good and still feels recent to me even though it was *checks notes* 19 years ago?!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    78. Dream Scenario
    Something about Cage as an Everyman type is always appealing, maybe the subtleties he brings to the characters. Here he’s a fairly mundane professor that suddenly starts appearing in random people’s dreams and the phenomenon grows until it takes a darker turn, leading to real life impacts.
    It’s a strong start as Cage’s professor tries to embrace the viral nature of his sudden fame, looking for an opportunity to seek the recognition he’s never really received (nor earned). It inevitably starts to unravel but then so does the story and the final third is a bit drab in comparison, an incomplete idea maybe. There are a few cracking scenes and it’s tight enough not to drag, and Cage is on top form in some full on cringe inducing moments. [7]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Robocop (2014) - avoided this for a long time as I’d heard it was a steaming pile of poo. And it’s not great but it’s not that bad. The cast is surprisingly solid (Jackson, Oldman and Keaton were surprising big hitters). The action is fine but doesn’t really build on the original. And that is the main problem with everything in the film. Apart from nicer FX (and a weak attempt to add more to Murphy’s family story) it doesn’t build on the original. It’s too serious to follow the high satire of the original (due to the family emotional element) and it lacks any of the dialogue that made the OG a classic. Even the bad guy didn’t seem that bad. They should have spent the money on a new IP film [5].

Cannot bring myself to watch this. I watched the Total Recall remake and that was a lesson learnt.  Just completely pointless.
  • Cos wrote:
    Yeah, I’ve been in two minds about watching new Hellboy for the same reasons. The Perlman/Del Toro combo was just too good and still feels recent to me even though it was *checks notes* 19 years ago?!

It's utter crap drivel. Don't waste your time.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Heh. Good looking out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Whisky Galore! The old Ealing comedy hasn't lost its charm. Had a dram while watching this.
  • Getting to be that time of year to start the Christmas movies.

I cannot recommend enough that everyone tries to watch Cary Grant and David Niven in The Bishops Wife. An absolutely beautiful black and white classic. A real heart warmer.

I will then move onto the staple classics, Elf, National Lampoon, Nativity (1 not the poor relation 2) Die Hard, the grinch, and the gruffalo.
    PSN - minkymu
  • The wife and I are going to start Christmas movie season today.
    Tree is up, lights up the front of the house and garden, decorations everywhere and now the kids are watching Jingle Jangle on Netflix.

There's a movie called Noelle on Disney that I'm quite keen to see, it's got Anna Kendrick looking all kinds of gorgeous.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • There's a movie called Noelle on Disney that I'm quite keen to see, it's got Anna Kendrick looking all kinds of gorgeous.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I’ve already seen that twice.
  • I will watch it many times because I just love Anna Kendrick, she's the one I've been given a free pass for
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Getting to be that time of year to start the Christmas movies. I cannot recommend enough that everyone tries to watch Cary Grant and David Niven in The Bishops Wife. An absolutely beautiful black and white classic. A real heart warmer.
    Yup. Love that film.:)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Wait now, Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And neither is Interstellar.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    We’ve just started too. Love Actually it’s terrible but I still like it.

I enjoyed Noelle.

Queued up; Elf, It’s A Wonderful Life, Nativity, Muppets Christmas Carol, Scrooged, Last Christmas, probably Home Alone (though I’m not a fan), The Holiday, Frozen (not technically Christmas but it’s snowy), Klaus.
  • Muppets Christmas Carol! that going on the list. Forgot that
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watch Klaus if you haven’t. It’s great.
  • I've added Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Krampus to my list. My wife is not happy. I don't care.

Muppets will be consumed soon as will Scrooged, both firm favourites.
  • Violent Night is pretty fun as well.
    (and John Woo’s “Silent Night” comes out soon and might make a fun double bill: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt15799866/)
  • The Killer
    What happens if you take Fincher’s usual impeccable styling and apply it to a film with no drama? This, apparently.
  • I'm keen to watch Krampus again.

Klaus is indeed great too. I hope that studio is working on something new
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't watched Muppets Christmas Carol in several years. Is due a watch.

Krampus, Fanny & Alexander, Love & Death, Scrooge (Alistair Sim) will be on my list.  Haven't seen It's a Wonderful Life in a while either - that will get a viewing too.
  • Christmas Chronicles on Netflix is good too. Watched that on Saturday with the kids who liked it.

Haven't seen the sequel yet though.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • 50. Infernal Affairs II - 26 Nov
    Multilayered sequel charting the rise/character progression of multiple key characters from the GOAT first movie, over the course of several years an against the backdrop of Honk Kong's independence from British rule. Enjoyable and somewhat reminiscent of The Godfather in ways with its complex characters with moral ambiguity and questionable motives. Onwards to number 3 which I haven't actually seen before.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Honk Kong.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!