52 Games... 1 Year... 2023 Edition
  • The series lost me after that (and I wasn't on board beforehand), but MGS was an event.  I played the demo more than I played most other PS games I owned.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    22.Metal Gear Solid - Volume 1 - 8 Hours - Perfect/10 - Xbox Series X It’s like Die Hard, it’s just a snapshot of perfection at that time. Wouldn’t do a damn thing to change them as absofuckingloutely nothing could better them. That was just as good as the first time I played it. The story, gameplay, characters, soundtrack, absolutely everything was and is still quintessential as part of that moment. 13 year old me knew it, 38 year old me knows it, one of the real masterpieces in gaming. Perfect. 4vFTqn.gif
  • 38: Spider Man 2 (PS5) 9/10

Another great Spider Man game for Playstation. I was trying to think of what's wrong with it and there's really not much to complain about. I did get a couple of bugs (like one time a cut scene with QTE's was supposed to play out, but I only got a black screen. Could hear the stirring hero music and Peter grunting for too long though. Had to restart. Thankfully it didn't make me do the preceding boss fight again) but nothing too serious. The story does get a bit too big, like a lot of super hero stories where it gets epic by the end and I lose interest. I was thinking about whether to get up early to thaw some chops out the next day, during a final mission cutscene, which is probably a sign I'm not that invested in the story).

Other than that though it's still a fantastic open world setting that's a joy to get around by web slinging and now gliding. There's a good mix of activities, some good fighting (it gets a bit overwhelming with all your moves, and you do have to use everything at your disposal - in honesty I only got somewhat competent towards the end), and if the story gets a bit carried away, it's also mostly pretty good along the way with some fun characters and some good fan service. Looks great (occasional dodgy looking npc's aside) sounds great, plays great. Very impressed.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 25. Road Rash II (Mega Drive) - 4hrs 

One of the most iconic Mega Drive titles for me, there was nothing quite like it on SNES. Very impressive looking title for its time.

Like most Road Rash games, the biggest negative is that it peaks early. In the first few levels the speed is at a level where you can react to anything upcoming, and you can enjoy a good fight against your rival bikers. It's a lot of fun.

Unfortunately by the time you reach level 4 the bike required to keep up with the pack is so fast the game becomes more about track memorisation than reaction, and you'll never be beside a rival long enough to dish out anything other than a single punch or kick.

Oh and the rubber banding in Mario Kart games has nothing on this. You can be out in front for miles and one crash will result in half the pack flying past whilst you frustratingly hobble back to your bike.

In many ways it's aged much better than I was expecting, but the difficulty in the latter levels takes the shine off an otherwise excellent racer.

7/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Agree with all that. I used to put the code in to get the Wild Thing bike, which was actually pretty awful to control.

Iirc that was one of the few 16-bit racers with proper GP split screen co-op rather than empty 1v1 races. Sounds minor now but that was a great addition at the time (unless I'm misremembering).
  • 156. Super Mario Bros Wonder - Switch - 6-7hrs

By now it's pretty obvious that when Nintendo want to knock something miles out the park they do.  It's a shame that so many first party Switch releases are swinging for 'pretty good', but it's always a pleasure to play something that had the seal of quality stamped on it from the moment it hit the white board.  Nothing but the best would have been acceptable for this one, and it shows.  Part of me wondered whether Mario Maker 2 had hammered a nail or two into the coffin for 2D Mario - surely infinite monkeys will eventually created better experiences than even the best of Nintendo's in-house talent? - but I shouldn't have worried really.  This is bringing-the-A-game, 110% effort stuff, and ergo absolute S-tier platforming.  I don't think anyone could really point a finger at a mainline 2D Mario game and call it bad with a straight face - they've always been mechanically sublime - but it's fair to say that there have been highs and lows, and the all-time high is generally, I reckon, just about considered to be Super Mario World way back in 1990.  Of all the Mario side scrollers since, this is the best attempt at knocking it off its [fucking] perch.  

Which isn't what I expected based on the initial trailers.  It looked good, it just didn't look like a SMW challenger.  Taking an established formula and adding gimmicks sounds like a surefire way to diminish the returns, but the way this handles the wonder seed rug pulls & switcheroo moments is pretty inspired.  They're not even needed to finish any given level, yet the effects are invariably intuitive (from the moment you're handed control), fun and sparingly used.  Even without that particular hook this is still bigtime Mario as the levels are, for the most part, expertly designed.  There are a handful that feel a wee bit damp squibbish (in particular a couple of zone closers were slightly anticlimactic), but a handful isn't many when you consider the number of cracking levels elsewhere. Selectable badges are an inspired addition and the DIY approach to perks and abilities coupled with the fact that they enhance rather than break the experience is testament to the majesty of the design - the Mario basics have been established for a looong time, and yet this gifts you a dozen or so minor game changers that you can bring to the party as and when you choose.  The stage design is so unbreakably solid you can even switch up every time you die, and no cracks will appear in the experience. 

Initially I thought the way characters passed through one another was a shame for MP, and whilst I would have preferred the standard NSMB approach it didn't take the shine off and Tilly & I had a blast gunning through the main stages.  I'd like to see the collision detection return in a future patch (it allows you to play with so many other factors with badges I seriously doubt it would bugger anything up with characters bouncing on one another and whatnot), but it's fine as is and a terrific time was had.   Even the end credits smacked of a developer unrepentant in their mission to produce a world beating package.  GotY for me, by some distance, and I've barely even started to mine its secrets. There's much more to say, but this isn't a game in need of championing - if you play it you'll enjoy it.  [9.5]  

cd9.gif

157. Ranger-X - Mega Drive (55mins)

Stunning screen-push shmup* from 1993 that did all the right things in terms of rallying against the boundaries of the machine's specific technical limitations.  Much like Treasure's best work, visually this feels like proof certain things are indeed possible at times, and thankfully (much like Treasure's best work) the game backing up the puffed-chest graphics is no slouch either.  Sprite scaling and rotation were nice little buzzwords from the day, and both something MD owners were used to secretly seething about as, apparently, the SNES could push sprites in fancypants ways while standing on its head (although it turns out the SNES couldn't do it either, which I didn't know at the time, but it could skew background sprites).  So what happened was you started to get MD games that incorporated pseudo 3D effects or software based trickery that, to all intents and purposes, blew raspberries at the cocksure Nintullards.  Multi-jointed screen filling bosses that could transform into other bosses while you hurtled along in a minecart (Gunstar), Spinderella cranking the screen around while Headdy switched between foreground and background planes, faux sprite scaling in Panorama Cotton, snazzy spinning castletop battles in Castlevania: Bloodlines, rotating submarines deep within the map screen of Red Zone (wait, come back) and so on.  TLDR: certain developers could make the Mega Drive sing with more panache than it was ever intended to, and I don't think anything other than perhaps The Adventures of Batman & Robin looked quite as glorious as this, in terms of UNPOSSIBLE anyway (I'd also accept SOR2 or Story of Thor as the best looking MD games, amongst others).  The music is great too, which means that this looks and sounds like peak 16-bit Sega to me.  The stage where the lighting changes as you burst through the canopy of the trees is particularly kissable if you're a) a chef and b) loved it when the MD cooked the SNES.

Is the game any good though?  Yes.  It's not a full banger, and lower than Sub-Terrania on a list of my favourite Sega shmups of the era, but it plays pretty well once you get used to its various nuances.  Most stages see your mech - which is capable of 360 flight on a limited boost - accompanied by a companion contraption that can be climbed into and used to certain situations.  It's an intriguing design choice that works pretty well, particularly the bike which can be stood on or mighty morphed into for additional attack options.  Additional (missable) special weapons can be collected in various tucked away places throughout the levels, which can only be changed while connected to whatever mech buddy has tagged along for that particular stage.  It feels a touch cumbersome/slouchy in places admittedly, and your weapons do tend to suffer from the dreaded popgun feel throughout, but there's a good time here if you look for it.  As was the case with many Sega games of the era it's not a whopper, so for £45 a runtime of under an hour could be considered a bit of a swizz.  You'd need to get the hang of it to get through it properly though ofc - it's not an easy game on the default setting and continues are limited.  For a retro runthrough it's ideal though, and would make an inspired choice for the Tribute Games retraux resurrequel treatment. 90%.  

*I think this is what they're called?  I've seen it used once or twice anyway - not forced scrolling, the ones where the camera tracks the movement of your craft (think Bangai-O rather than Hellfire).

descarga.gif

rangerx05.gif
  • 158. Spider-Man 2 - PS5 (14-15hrs?)

Despite the fact that I play a smorgasbord of dodgy Switch ports every year I'm a bit precious when it comes to bigtelly major console entertainment these days, which meant that I abstained from the OG PS4 Spidey in favour of crap like Toby: The Secret Mine and Wheels of Aurelia.  Why? Partly because my console died briefly, partly because I'm a framerate weirdo.  I despised the idea of the Pro/X mid-gen spec refresh and heavily sulked about being stuck @30fps on a base console, so decided to wait.  TLDR: while I was waiting I missed the boat. I did play Miles Morales though, which Muzzy lent me when I bought my PS5.  Thoughts here, but it didn't blow my socks off.  I intended to play this full sequel at some point, then got swept up in review hype and unexpectedly ordered it at launch, which, at £62.99, makes it the most expensive standalone videogame I've ever bought.

Was it worth it?  It kinda was, yeah.  I still think that's hellishly expensive for a game even though I had a great time.  I'm not deep into Spider-Man but I've mostly found the films I've seen very entertaining (I haven't seen any Garfields but I'm pretty sure I've seen all the rest now, including the wonderful Spiderverse duo).  He seems like one of the best superheroes to me anyway, and if I had to make a tier list he'd be somewhere near the top (obvious Moot is obvious).  One of the things I particularly like about recent Spideystuff is that Miles Morales is a quality character too, and you get to switch between the two throughout the adventure for this one, with a little help from the SSD.  They get more or less equal billing throughout the story missions so there's plenty of each to go around.  Miles was the star of the show for me but the entire story is a win for this sort of thing - I thought Kravenoff was a terrific villain, and there's a reason everyone loves a bit of Venom.

Structurally this is fairly typical open world stuff - albeit with the aforementioned swappable spider men - but that's not a criticism per se as these games continue to get made because people absolutely love 'em.  This has a few things working together in tandem that that elevate it above the pack (a pack that's in rude if rote health imo - I don't fancy the Assassin's Creed games myself, having had my fill with no.2, but I bet they're pretty good really): 1. Character(s). 2. Traversal (web-slinging is tremendous fun). 3. Big swagger visuals. 4. Strong combat.  Other big map games have one or more of these but combining all four to such good effect means this fires on some pretty important cylinders.  I'm no expert but I know what I like, and the Arkham combat has been the base system for a few of my favourites now (I still think Mad Max is an open worldy).  It's also not overly huge, which makes sense given the setting but still shows restraint given how carried away devs can get these days.  NYC is sausage packed full of things to do here anyway, so I expect the hundo hunters will have a whale of a time (while secretly mouthing 'kill me now', those poor afflicted souls).

The vast majority of the package is a win for sure, and this is one of the first games that feels Next Gen to me.  Which is odd because next gen has been current gen for coming up to three years now.  It's all just so seamless and impressive, and while it looks a lot like PS4 Spidey if you squint you'd have to be pretty pig-headed not to appreciate the improvements under the hood.  Giant generational leaps are a thing of the distant past but there are an abundance of small steps going on behind the curtain here.  Yes, Insomniac don't do faces particularly well, especially female ones, and even some of the major minor NPCs are a bit shoddy (Mrs. Morales looks like she's wandered in from a cancelled David Cage PS3 exclusive, for example), but on the whole this is a wonderful looking game with, most importantly, rock-solid performance.

Some of the boss battles have too many phases and start to feel like watching stupendously exciting paint dry, which is odd, and the minor skirmishes lose some of their lustre by the time you hit late-game. There are so many legit set-pieces and killer moments that it's a tough one to get too critical of though - it's a great campaign, and doesn't punish you for beelining it in the way something like Horizon does. I partook in very few side missions yet managed to bob and weave my way through crowded battles in the final act even without many suit upgrades.  In terms of difficulty this maintained a 'felt a bit tricky but I mostly escaped by the skin of my teeth' sweet spot on normal mode, which is perfect for my tastes (I'm glad I didn't wimp this one down to easy or easiest mode).  Overall I didn't quite love it but I liked it very much indeed. [8].

spider-man.gif
  • 26. The House of the Dead: Remake (Switch) - 1hr 

Decent remake for me, sure the graphics are only PS2 ish standards, but they're nice enough to get the job done for something like this.

The gyro controls also work well, I was a bit worried going in, but I didn't feel they were any worse than Wiimotes or PSmoves.

Like all the games that came in that little light gun Wii renaissance about 15 years ago, it would be much better with a light gun and 1:1 aiming. Unfortunately as we all know current TV's can't handle a bit of Duck Hunt, but gyro controls are a decent enough alternative imo.

Good fun then, especially in co-op. Worth checking out if your itching for some light gun action.

7/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 27. Strikers 1945 III (Arcade) - 1hr  

Another hard as nails 2D shoot 'em up.

The arcade nature makes it another coin guzzler by default, if I was actually playing in an arcade I'd have spent (50p?) on about 1 minute of gameplay. Of course at home via emulation it equates to infinite continues and an inevitable completion.

It amazes me how good people can get at these. I'm useless at any of the post 16-Bit entries in the genre, the sprite handling capabilities went through the roof and there's so much going on that I find it hard to keep up and clearly see what's going on.

Like scrolling beat 'em ups they're just a blast in co-op though, and it becomes a contest of who can get the hi-score as oppose to 'can we complete it'. Good mindless fun.

6/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 159. A.B Cops - Arcade (40mins)

Not sure if it's fair to call this a lesser-known arcade game simply because I hadn't heard of it, but even as a Segaboi this one passed me by.  It's a super scaler style, unabashed Chase HQ clone, albeit with a twist or two.  Here you here you have to take out a handful of fodder enemies before the rammable boss appears.  There's a boost button which can be hammered at much as you like for an extra burst of speed (in theory - enemies often refuse to get any closer even as you're boosting right up their arse). You also have a limited number of jumps, which are best used to launch yourself into the faces of the guardians for extra damage.  

It's pretty good really, as forgotten coin-ops go.  Admittedly I thought it was absolutely terrible for 20 minutes or so, but it turns out that's because the emulator I was using mapped the jump to the boost button, which meant my jumps were constantly depleted en route to the boss.  After switching to Final Burn instead of MAME an extra button was available, which pushed the whole thing into the pretty good zone.  Fine margins with this sort of thing in 2023, I was readying a brutal review but it pulled it back.  Half decent mindless fun. [3 out of 6]

P.S. The 'A.B' stands for air bike.

tumblr_pcur2l0FN71r7sijxo1_500.gif

160. Altered Beast - Arcade (30mins)

I've actually forgotten whether I played this version in one of these threads. I know I played through the MD port at some point, which I've always disliked, but I don't think I've played the arcade game all the way through.  If I'm repeating myself, apologies - I wasn't too keen on the original incarnation either.  It's got some nice touches (backgrounds fading to b&w for bosses, the way you wreck screens in full beast mode) and some iconic speech snippets ofc...overall it's just not very good though.  I vaguely remember a ripple of agreement for this particular lukewarm take last time.  

I don't doubt that this had the wow factor in 1988 (big sprites and general bombast went a long way at a certain point in my childhood - I even had a WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM doormat printed for the christening of my games room in 2008ish, which makes me a nerdier version of a 15yr old in a Ramones T Shirt despite not liking the band), it just doesn't play particularly well so I've never been overly fussed with it in any form.  Give me Golden Axe every day of the week, I can't imagine anyone defending this with much gusto these days.  [2 out of 6]

altered-beast-power-up.gif

161. Bay Route - Arcade (25 mins)

Hugely basic run and gun contra clone that did more or less exactly what I wanted it to.  Obviously the title is superb, and sometimes more often than not all I want from old arcade games is bog standard carnage.  There are numerous stretches in this where blootering through without paying any heed to enemy patterns or placement is absolutely the best course of action for survival, so I wouldn't say that it's a particularly well design game, but simplicity is one of its major charms nigh-on 35 years after release.  

There are four weapon types, each of which has its uses, and each can be powered up once.  You lose all powered up weapons regardless of which you have selected when you die though, so there's not much room for tactical play (especially as scrolling through the weapons on the fly is tricky enough in itself, which resulted in me sticking to the default rifle for most of the game).  

If you don't mind something like this where most enemies only ever fire at head height and wouldn't dream of ducking to match a player's crouch, you could do a hell of a lot worse than this for a credit spammed straight-ahead one & done run & gun. [3.5 out of 6]

bayroutej.png

162. Biomechanical Toy - Arcade (35mins)

Wow.  This is an absolute nonsense of a game.  At times it feels like a pastiche of an Amiga game designed by an AI approximation of Clockwork Tortoise, with seemingly random enemy placement and batshit bonkers character design.  Slowly but surely I found my feet though, and I must admit I started to quite enjoy it once I settled into the fixed-shot six way fire run & gun groove.  It's definitely not a good game, nor is it a bad one (despite first impressions).  There's some distinct slowdown in stage one, which didn't bode well, but either I got used to the treacle or it cleared up because I don't recall sulking about it much after that.  I'm not convinced a gif will do the craziness justice here, so I'll drop a long play in instead (which definitely isn't a decision based on the fact that I couldn't find any gifs, honest).  I've played some weird belt scrollers this year but I think this might be the oddest ROM I've stumbled across so far full stop.  Amusingly I Googled it while ROM surfing and thought the sampled guitariffic music sounded interesting, but in actual fact the tune I heard a snippet from (stage 2, if anyone fancies the vid below) is one of the most repetitive I've heard in a long time.  

Not quite worth playing - don't let that stop you checking it out though.  [2.5 out of 6] 

Edit: [3 out of 6] (added half a point after getting sucked into watching the video again.  It's actually alright, and this guy plays it better than I did).

Note to self: Remember to check out Johnny Bazookatone at some point.

163. Revenge of Shinobi - Mega Drive (45mins)

Or The Super Shinobi to be more precise, as this was the first time I've played through the Japanese version (look, it's Godzilla!).  I was given the PAL version of Revenge by a classmate for my 10th (11th?) birthday, which blew my mind.  I was still sulking about being moved to a different school at the time, but an actual videogame as a pressie from one of my new pals?  I had to admit the new school had a plus side.  In an unrelated twist my daughter attended the same school and my dad went there too.  I doubt either of them got bday gifts as banging as RoS.

/Waffle.  Still a magnificent game and undeniably a monstrous achievement considering the flimsy nature of most early MD arcade ports (coupled with the fact that this was a ground-up home exclusive).  Possibly the best faux arcade game ever, it also provided us with an iconic soundtrack for the ages.  There's not much to say that hasn't been said, so I'll leave it there.  94%

KyM7YUO.gif
  • Good to see some Spider Man love!

Altered Beast is one of those games that's maybe pretty bad, but had a big enough cool factor back in the day that I have a soft spot for it.  An older cousin hada copy on Mega Drive and whenever I got to have a go it was just the coolest shit.  Like you say the voice samples and monster morphing gimmick.

I kinda enjoyed 'mastering it' (IE memorising where the enemies would show up) a few years back on the 3DS version, but can't go too hard in to bat for it.
  • 164. Road Avenger - Mega CD (35mins)

Remember playing with tiny metal cars, making them do mad skids while making madder skid noises?  I do, vaguely; it was pretty much the last time I was even remotely interested in the whole automobile thing.  I'd rather eat a tub of Swarfega than watch Top Gear, but I do remember doing wall rides, superflips and epic head-on collisions with my collection of pocket motors (one of which was also a padlock, one of which was a Micro Machines Burton Batmobile, one of which changed colour if you ran it under a hot tap), probably while singing the Pole Position theme tune.  Cars have never been quite so cool since, OutRun 2 notwithstanding, but this barely interactive Wolfteam effort that's halfway between a Saturday morning cartoon and a heavily borrowed Manga VHS pushes it pretty close.  If it didn't have its own theme tune - which thankfully it does - those iconic UGH, UGH UGGHH! sounds wouldn't be out of place over the intro.

Look, it's not a great game on paper.  Or even while you're playing it, really.  At a rough guess I'd say you have to press the four different inputs 200 times in an unwavering order to win.  It's basically a rubber-burning Dragon's Lair, only instead of zany Bluthian damsel rescuing you're avenging the death of the woman you'd only just married.  Imagine Ken's ending from SFII mixed with the bit where he's in the car with Eliza at the start of the anime movie, then imagine a motley crew of Mad Maxalikes ramming the car off the road until it explodes and Eliza dies.  That's the set-up for the game - the rest of it sees you chasing down motorbaddies until their cars/bikes blow up at the end of each stage.  

I remember thinking the whole FMV thing was a big deal at the time but I didn't get a Mega CD until a couple of decades later, and of course by that point the entire genre was about as appealing as sucking diarrhoea through a paper straw.  One of my mates did get one, albeit far too late to be considered cutting edge (the Playstation was out by this point).  He had this and The Amazing Spider-Man Vs The Kingpin, and this was the one he always played when he got stoned - lost in the avengement zone trying to memorise button prompts.  I can't remember if he ever finished it as you can't make many mistakes before the Game Over screen appears.  I'll ask him at some point, if I remember.  Of course playing it with save states is a different kettle of fish and my only real worry was not accidentally overwriting a manual save as I was careering into a wall.  

I couldn't look anyone in the eye and say this is a good game but I had a wonderful time crashing through it yesterday.  It shouldn't work but it does.  81%

efb71f1f36c54167e3c63270329c701c55c38dc6.gif

Check out the remastered intro:

• Much better than the PlayStation port, even with the granier graphics.

I've only ever played about 10mins before getting a bit bored, I do want to see it through once at least though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You can mostly play normal mode with reactions rather than memorisation, but there aren't enough continues to get far that way (ymmv). With a save state at the start of each stage it's doable in an hour I reckon (half that if you cheat constantly, like I did).
  • Cool, thanks for the tip.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 39: International Cricket Captain 2006 (PC) 6/10

I like this as a good clicker when when you're half watching youtube or sports, and have been playing it all year. I can play games on autopilot and barely remember what happened unless someone on my team makes a lot of runs or takes a lot of wickets. I always come back to it though. It's comfort gaming.

In this one I saved/reloaded until I was given a stupidly talented rookie to recruit, changed his name to mine and played until he retired. He ended up being England's greatest bowler. There were a lot of highs as he helped England become the greatest cricket playing nation in the world for over a decade. By the end the drudgery of life does kick in. As his career petered out and England slowly got worse there was a real 'is this it?' or 'why am I still playing' feeling to it. It was a relief when the game completely bugged out. By 2026 the county season just didn't load for some reason. It had been slowly going wrong when spin bowlers and wicket keepers stopped existing for the last few years. I'll probably play it again next year but for now it's a bit of a downer.

40: Super Stardust Delta (Vita) 8/10

An excellent shooter that I think as a launch Vita title, which for some reason I'd never actually beaten. It holds up real will with some very satisfying shooting and excellent graphics that still scrub up real nice on the Vita screen. The only downside is the Vita's dinky little analogue sticks - they might have been state of the art for a handheld back in the day but after being spoilt with the Switch's Hori split pad they are a little bit fiddly. Good lord how is Vita 12 years old though?
  • 165. B.Rap Boys - Arcade (50mins)

I'd been led to believe this sequel to the infamously shite DJ Boy was an under-the-radar banger, which was annoying as I've struggled to get it running on numerous devices now.  I finally managed to boot it up on the Anbernic RG353M but I wish I hadn't bothered - it's awful.  There are only three stages but they don't half drag on and the 2-button drudgery is relentless.  I probably could have fiddled with the dip switches but by the time I realised the enemy waves were clearly set up for three playable characters I was too far in to suffer the opening stages a second time.  I very nearly threw the towel in a few screens into level 2 anyway, as it doesn't play well at all, the enemy variation is practically non-existent and everyone takes multiple dozens of hits before they die.  If this is better than DJ Boy then I'll have to check that out at some point, out of curiosity.  I may have played the MD port once or twice, but we're talking 30+ years ago.

Everyone's on rollerskates in this one too, but the direction your character is facing seems to have a mind of its own - sometimes pressing left will make you skate backwards, sometimes it'll make you turn and skate left.  This is regardless of whether there are enemies on screen too.  Very strange, and very shit.  You can't run, you can't avoid trading blows with most baddies (as evidenced by everyone floundering on YouTube playthroughs), you can't see how much health anyone other than yourself has left.  You can grab people, but that seems to instigate a throw or get thrown randomiser. 

This does have a few things going for it - the art style isn't totally unpleasant for a start, and much like Konami's Violent Storm the use of lyrics for the tunes is pleasing (even if the snippets of looped speech start to grate after a while).  There's some highly amusing sampled speech from certain bosses and the whole b.boy vibe is generally agreeable.  Unfortunately as belt scrollers go it stinks and its half-decent reputation is baffling.  [2 out of 6]

Fact fans rejoice, here's a good'un: the samples throughout the game are (mostly) lifted from tracks by a lesser-known Hip Hop outfit called 3 Stories High.  A group which, as far as I can tell, released one EP with two tracks on it, both of which are sampled in the game.  Here they are, look:

tumblr_npytp8cjtF1skasmxo1_540.gif
  • 166. Afterburner II - Arcade (30mins)

It's a bit cheeky that this is billed as a sequel to Afterburner, given that it's essentially the same game with a handful of extra stages and throttle controls. Imagine the backlash these days. Still, there's no denying that this was Big Willy arcade gaming, even if the hydraulic cabinet skewed perception a little. The game underneath the bells and whistles (which originally included stereo speakers positioned next to the player's head) is just about good enough to give this a pass with a retrospective eye. If it's good enough for John Connor in 1991 it's good enough for me, but with the rest of the package stripped away it feels basic. Rails shooters often are, and this is hugely dependent on the exhilaration factor. Still, even 35 years on the Super Scaler whizzbangs look neat, and of course the tunes are absolutely banging. Two in particular stand out as all-timers.

If you consider this, Space Harrier and OutRun as the trifecta of 80s Sega arcade whoppers it's coming bottom of that particular tier list for me, but there's enough swagger baked in to forgive its simplicity. Plus think about it - in original form you actually sat in a cockpit that jolted around as you Top Gunned through 23 danger zones at mach speed. This had clout for a reason. [4 out of 6]

daa8879741ab3b90939d9ffca269d708aef82a01.gifv
  • 28. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine) - 3hrs

Excellent platformer with fantastic level design. I'm a fan of linear platformers but the multiple pathways in this game are genius and add to the reply value. Classic Castlevania arguably at its best and another 90's gem from Konami.

10/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Need to play that one at some point. Wouldn't mind giving ReBirth a go either but that might prove trickier to emulate.
  • 167. Before Your Eyes - PSVR2 (1hr40mins)

Fixed position first person narrative driven curio where all interactivity is performed by head movement, eye tracking or blinking.  Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment is here at last.  For the most part it works a treat, and I'm happy to blame the moments it didn't on a sync issue.  For the final third of the game I had to become this meme to get anything to happen, but I think this is because I shut down for a while and resumed after a break as it was fine beforehand.  Anyway, other than very minor tech problems this behaved as it was supposed to, which is pretty impressive.  Look, I know it's 2023 but IT TRACKS YOUR EYEBALLS.

The game starts with the player being ferried into the afterlife by a wolfman, who I initially thought was voiced by Seth Rogan but isn't.  The bulk of the ever so slightly disappointing story is told through a series of flashback vignettes, where blinking will eventually cause you to jump forward an unspecified amount of time.  As Not Rogan suggests, this could be hours, months or even years.  It's a banging set-up, and I think my eventual pangs of disatisfaction stem from the fact that it's such a smashing idea.  They make a good fist of it for sure, and it seems churlish to get all wistful about what could have been, but I think there was a worldie in here somewhere that the devs couldn't quite tease out.  It's good, but if it had the quality of something like Edith Finch twinned with the peeper tracking shizzle it could have been exceptional. 

There's no point in writing too much else about this one as it's the length of a sensible superhero film and it's better to be in the dark about most of it, as I was going in.  It's an admirable [7] and it tugs on all the right strings here and there, it's just not quite worthy of the elevator pitch, despite being excellent in places.  Big thanks to muzzy for picking this one up anyway, he's alright on the quiet.  I love a good FREE game.

draw+cat+pee.gif
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Glad to see Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment is still with us.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I enjoyed it and a 7 seems about right.
  • 24.Spiderman 2 - 18 Hours - 6/10 - PS5

Hard mini review to write this as I did enjoy the majority of the game but Christ did they try to ruin it with bosses. The majority of the game is fun, swinging around doing Spidey stuff in a stunning world with great sound and though it gets oh so samey samey, it’s still Spidey so it’s cool.

Switching between 2 characters is good fun and allows for billions of collectibles and side missions and keeps the story going with different bits and pieces going on in each. If’s a bit exhausting and over bearing with something garish and shiny on nearly every roof vying for your attention, but it’s all going reasonably well, though not spectacular as it’s absolutely no different to the first two as it’s a difficult thing to change up really, but then you start to get boss after boss who are all pretty much the same and all have a number of stages to them until it just saps all the fun out until you just wish it was over.

The final few missions are so unbelievably boring as it’s just the same boss in different areas doing pretty much the exact same things, ‘oh now he has wings that look super shit’, better do the same stuff again till he’s on the ground and it’s the same again…again.

It’d be even less than a 7 if it wasn’t Spidey. Disappointing that, glad it’s over. In fact that’s no excuse, it’s a 6.

7/10

SPBXjf.gif
  • Yeah, the bosses were crap.  Too many phases, too much health and they shine an accidental spotlight on how weak the Spidermen are all of a sudden (at least when they player has direct control).  I get that they're supervillains so it's good that they don't just roll over and die but half of them felt like trying to smash a big set of Russian dolls with a tiny toffee hammer.

Good game otherwise though.
  • Wow, a 6?  I'm loving every minute of it so far and I'm 20 hours in.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’s tough as it’s a good game, and I loved portions of it, but the bosses were so, so poor especially towards the end and that feeling of just wanting it to be over immediately docks another point for me. That’s another thing I didn’t touch on Moot, Pete in particular is made out to be relatively useless at times, I know they want to phase him out but bloody hell, may as well have just made him a eunuch.
  • Yeah he's a bit of a goofy uncle in this.  Miles would fuck him up.
  • Yeah, I've already had the feeling he is useless.  A bit shit.

I'll temper my expectations for the latter third of the game / final bits.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!