Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • davyK wrote:
    Didn't know Rise was the 2nd modern one.
    Drag Me To Hell was quite Evil Deady as well.
  • Drag Me To Hell is excellent and agree, cut from the same tonal cloth of the original films (well, 2 & 3).
  • Plus, the floaty possessed guy with facial prosthetics was a total Deadite.
  • Rocky II

Feel like nobody ever really talks about this one.
    It's a decent movie for the most.

The fight is great though. Totally mental of course but excellent tension despite knowing who wins. I still punched the air on the 10 count when the music kicks in.
  • Looking forward to this!

I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bull Brit low-rent crime revenge story from 2021. It just happens to be brilliant. With a superb atmosphere, it looks far classier than the usual British effort and Neil Maskell is simply brilliant in the lead, embuing a real feel of menace. Doesn't pull its punches. It's actually savage and - makes OldBoy , Get Carter and Taken look tame.

Recommended. On Netflix.  This is in the running for my film of the year.
    Spoiler:
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Rocky III
    Always thought of this of my favourite one. It's got the right mix of quotable fun and emotion.
    Rocky's arc is interesting and Clubber Lang is a great heel.

Rocky IV
    It's great fun and has by far the best montage ever put to screen. Great cheesy soundtrack as well. The James Brown bit is superb.
    It does start to lose something in the silliness though.
    The death of Apollo fails to match the death of Mickey.
    Stallone and Dolf are absolutely ripped in this.
  • davyK wrote:
    Bull Brit low-rent crime revenge story from 2021. It just happens to be brilliant. With a superb atmosphere, it looks far classier than the usual British effort and Neil Maskell is simply brilliant in the lead, embuing a real feel of menace. Doesn't pull its punches. It's actually savage and - makes OldBoy , Get Carter and Taken look tame.

Recommended. On Netflix.  This is in the running for my film of the year.
    Spoiler:

That's getting watched
    Gamertag: gremill
  • nick_md wrote:
    I must be the minority because whilst I thought Rise was fine, it didn't blow me away. Felt a bit plodding and boring in places. A solid 6.5 or so. I preferred the previous modern one.

Me too.
  • Evil Dead Rise was pretty good. Watched it earlier based on the enthusiasm here. Good fun, plenty of references, but could have done with a bit more humour. Cinematography was top notch - including one split-lens shot that's been popping up now and again in films (think it was pioneered in 70s).

LOVED that moment for the title. Simple but effective.
  • My men.

I think Fede Alvarez is a great director. Rewatched Don't Breathe recently and it's so we'll put together. I think they got lucky that the "guy who made a cool YouTube short film about a robot attack" could actually make good films when they plonked him onto a big franchise.

I'm excited for his Alien film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Manchurian Candidate This is the later remake with Denzel and Meryl. I have yet to see the original. It's an interesting idea and the film is good, but it could have been a great deal better. Not sure why - may be the editing or the fact that it just hasn't aged that well (it's a 2004 film) and it's hard to see Washington not go into Equaliser mode when faced with certain situations. :)

Still worth a watch - need to see the 60s version now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Painted Bird Heavyweight, lengthy film telling the tale (from a novel) of a Jewish boy separated from his parents pirates in WW2 Eastern Europe.

It's almost Dickensian-road-story territory this with an episodic structure and therefore many characters and a large cast (including small turns by Skarsgard, Keitel and the guy who starred in Come and See as a lad). This is not an easy watch - it's a superb, powerful film with many challenging scenes right from the off. It clocks in at just under 3hrs but the pace never really lets up. The bleakness is relentless.

It's beautifully shot in b&w and the grim pastoral existence in that part of the world at that time is conveyed unflinchingly. Definitely worth a watch for those looking for an absorbing and rewarding challenge.  On BFI.
  • 60s Manchurian pisses over remake from a great height. Davy, never and I mean NEVER watch a remake first. Golden rule.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    60s Manchurian pisses over remake from a great height. Davy, never and I mean NEVER watch a remake first. Golden rule.

I know - not sure why I did it - I suppose the draw of Washington did it.  :(
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    a Jewish boy separated from his pirates

an unorthodox premise
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But orthodox pirates.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Feck. Auto-correct could have one hanged.

:)

fixed.
  • 37. After Life - 24 Sep
    Continuing my foray into the works of Hirokazu Kore-eda. Shot as a mixture of real interviews with people about the best/favourite memory (caught on 16mm canera) and fictional narrative, Kore-eda tells a story about life after death where you get to choose one memory to relive forever in your afterlife, exploring the nature of human memories. This guy is a genius.
    [9]

38. Infernal Affairs - 1 Oct
    For my birthday, I wanted to rewatch a favourite film of mine. Most were too long for the time I had, so I chose this classic that I recently picked up on Criterion. Hong Kong cat and mouse thriller with tense scenes, moral ambiguity, and inner turmoil with identity crisis (reflecting the mood of Hong Kong after independence from the UK). Topped off with a little melancholic melodrama.
    Scorsese's The Departed has nothing on this, although I am probably overdue a rewatch, yet the man won a Best Director Oscar for that and not his other films.
    [9]
  • Yup. Infernal Affairs urinates all over The Departed from a great height.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Absolutely no way. The Departed has Jack Nicholson in it ffs
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Haven't seen Internal Affairs, but I really like The Departed.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Departed is a lot better.
  • I seem to have fallen into a different reality of The Badgerverse today where everyone is clearly insane!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Will have to give it a watch.

Oh and belated birthday wishes to Elf!
  • Thanks!
  • infernal kept reminding me of John Woos hard boiled im not sure why, maybe the undercover cop
    in the crime organisation story line
    PSN - minkymu
  • Really must watch hard boiled again. the warehouse face off was great. diving through the car shells shooting in slow mo

https://youtu.be/t_eyJn3laeA?si=r7x-Pzld_5UJ5-Ad

shoulda putted the dubbed version on
    PSN - minkymu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!