Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • Yeah, but I was like 9 years old mate.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You won't believe what Cinty did when he was 9!
  • 39. Black Mountain
    A team of archaeologists in the ultra-remote and extreme North of Canada unearth an ancient monolith and Things start to unravel. Low budget, but absolutely dripping in atmosphere - in part due to the amazing setting - this is proper, old school understated horror. Disturbing, creepy and bleak - only the uneven acting and at times questionable logic of some of the characters lets it down slightly. Well worth your time. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes Grem. Its fantastic considering it looks like it cost a tenner to make.
  • Yeah I enjoyed that one too.
  • Could've sworn I'd watched that but the trailer doesn't ring a bell.
  • Sounds good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yes Grem. Its fantastic considering it looks like it cost a tenner to make.

Is Archons worth seeking out?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gremill wrote:

Never even heard of it mate!

No idea.
  • Gremill wrote:

Never even heard of it mate!

No idea.

Same director, and here's me thinking you've got your finger on the pulse.
  • 40. The Raid
    Just one of the best martial arts films ever made. The choreography, the cinematography, the direction - all perfect. It's a 10 from me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Corner Office

John Hamm as an odd fellow beginning his new job who finds a 'secret room' he becomes infatuated with whilst no-one else in the office can see it.

Very slow, weird little indie film. Has slight Seversnce tones in the setting. Hamm is utterly fantastic.

For some reason I was utterly gripped by it. Not something everyone will like but right up my street. Will never be a rematch but loved it.

[8]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Watched the trailer to this and thought it looked good. Definite watch.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The trailer leans heavily into Severance but it is only that in setting. Its a delightfully weird off kilter little thing.
  • 30. The Karate Kid Part II - 20 Aug
    Another viewing with the boy. He thought it was weak and I agree. Not much happening and not much karate.
    [5]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Founder [8]

Solid Movie set in Americas golden (admittedly very white) era which I'm a sucker for. Keaton carries the movie to the point where I don't think it would work with a different actor.

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 [8]

Much like part 2, this is a bit of a mess at times but the highs out weigh the lows and I was totally on-board with the characters. The middle is a bit saggy but the pay offs are good and overall this is probably the best trilogy of a marvel series (although thor did go to part 4).

In a weird way, I'd rate all three movies as an 8 but kinda feel that combined they were a 9? First one is the best as an outright movie.
    SFV - reddave360
  • First one is an all timer. Only marvel film to make me cry.
  • Gremill wrote:
    First one is an all timer. Only marvel film to make me cry.

I'd argue that parts 2 and 3 hit more harder but each to their own.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Smile - some genuinely creepy moments in a film that misses some chances to really ramp up the scares. missed opportunity but not awful. A middle of the road 6
    PSN - minkymu
  • 41. Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Amongst Thieves.
    Incredibly enjoyable fantasy romp that leans unashamedly into the pure geekiness of the source material and produces a proper old fashioned adventure comedy with Chris Pine leading the party and Michelle Rodriguez providing the muscle in a film that old school nerds like me can love and casual viewers can enjoy in equal measure. So much better than I thought it would be and then it had any right to be. Loved it. 9
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    First one is an all timer. Only marvel film to make me cry.

I'd argue that parts 2 and 3 hit more harder but each to their own.

First one deffo. Second because of the character arc also deffo. Third one felt manipulated so I held those man tears in.

• 42. Guardian of the Galaxy 3
    Superb close to the best series of Marvel films. Amazing action, genuinely hilarious banter, superb SFX and a really big heart make this easily one of the best superhero films around. Loved it. 9
  • 43. Blood & Gold
    At the end of WW2, in a small German village, several factions look to track down a hoarde of gold left behind by the last Jewish family to be taken to the camps. 98 minutes of Nazi killing carnage, with nobody coming out of it looking good. Very satisfying Tarantino-esque mayhem in a proper spaghetti western tribute. 8
  • Sounds like a good companion piece to Sifu.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • M3gan
    Too obvious to hold interest.
    No likeable characters and some woeful acting.
    The sub 2 hour runtime should be to it's benefit but it's paced like a longer movie with 20 minutes lobbed off the crescendo.

It's Black Mirror without the wit plus Child's Play without the pantomime villain.
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tell Me a Creepy Story

I'd never heard of this. Just popped up when browsing my IPTV.

Four short horror films. No interconnecting story. 

Took me completely by surprise. The first and second are genuinely fresh, new ideas. Done fantastically well. 

The third is a bit by the numbers, generic. Fourth is again a story we've seen before but done really well.

I don't know what the imdb rating is about. It's got barely any coverage across the Web. It's exceptionally low budget.

But a fantastic surprise. Loved it.

[7]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cobweb

Suitably well done thing. Boy is odd in school with odd parents and oddness goes on at home. Builds quite well even if blatantly obvious.

[6]
  • Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
    Not shit, which is a big step up from the last one. And the young kid is way less annoying than Shia LaBeouf. Waller-Bridge is quite annoying, but Toby Jones is ace. Lightweight action adventure, which is what Indy should be.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    GotG vol. 3

Good craic but its time is up. Was a good call to end it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!