Movie Record 2023 Edition
  • 35. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
    Nicholas Cage plays Nic Cage, a desperate faded actor looking for a comeback but unable to decide whether he wants to be an artist or a film star. He makes too many films, he has no quality control because he's on the verge of bankruptcy and his ex and daughter can't stand his self-obsession. Then he gets an offer of $1m to go to a rich fans birthday party in Mallorca. Absurd, funny (at times hilarious), super-meta and featuring both versions of Cage battling for domination (sometimes in the same scene or even sentence and a few times literally) this is a great time if you just sit back and accept to ludicrousness of the premise. Pedro Pascal nearly walks away with the entire film and the scene that they are both on acid is fucking brilliant. I loved it, even if it really does walk the line between being great and just falling to bits from the pressure of it's own self-reference. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's class, and the acid scene is an all timer
  • It's class, and the acid scene is an all timer

That laugh that Pedro does had me in stitches.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Birthed a fantastic meme format
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    An Impossible Project is a doc about the man who brought Polaroid back to life. Interesting stuff about a little pro-analogue movement.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gremill wrote:
    35. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
    Nicholas Cage plays Nic Cage, a desperate faded actor looking for a comeback but unable to decide whether he wants to be an artist or a film star. He makes too many films, he has no quality control because he's on the verge of bankruptcy and his ex and daughter can't stand his self-obsession. Then he gets an offer of $1m to go to a rich fans birthday party in Mallorca. Absurd, funny (at times hilarious), super-meta and featuring both versions of Cage battling for domination (sometimes in the same scene or even sentence and a few times literally) this is a great time if you just sit back and accept to ludicrousness of the premise. Pedro Pascal nearly walks away with the entire film and the scene that they are both on acid is fucking brilliant. I loved it, even if it really does walk the line between being great and just falling to bits from the pressure of it's own self-reference. 8

This inspired me to rewatch Paddington 2. So good.
  • And now because of that I’m watching Notting Hill after and it has half the cast of Paddington and this movie is great too.
  • Paddington 2 is the best. Marmalade.
  • 84. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 Again
    I had prebooked a second session of this before it came out. Still feel the same about it from the first watch. Some good stuff in it but also a lot of "entity" talk and also a bit too much CGI in places that undermine the real stunts. There's also a weird through-line about women and Hunt in this that I don't really know how to read. I feel like mutual respect would have worked much better than any kind of undercooked romantic thread especially with the standard Hollywood age gap in play.
    [6]
  • But then that would mean Cruise acknowledging that he is old and will not, despite promises from Xenu, live forever at the side of LRH.
  • I read today that Cruise tried to get a waiver from SAG to promote his film.
  • What a cunt
  • As much as I like his films its safe to say Cruise is totally out of touch with reality.
    Im not going to be too mad about it, I assume the system did its job in telling him no.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's what happens when you ride two horses - I presume he has a production role in the MI films - owns the IP rights - so he likely has a heavy investment sunk into it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    82. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1
    84. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 Again

Artificial inflation of the numbers. Now it all makes sense! ;)
  • Sometimes They Dead Reckoning Again
  • ReDead ReReckoning
  • davyK wrote:
    That's what happens when you ride two horses - I presume he has a production role in the MI films - owns the IP rights - so he likely has a heavy investment sunk into it.

Literally says "A Tom Cruise Production" in big letters at the start of this one.
    Can't remember if the last one said that

• 36. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Probably Wes Anderson's best film - a superb breakneck blend of genres, a fantastic ensemble cast, gorgeous visuals and Ralph Fiennes at his best. The kids absolutely loved it too. 9
  • Barbie
    In some ways I'm still not entirely sure what I made of Barbie.  It has a hell of a lot to recommend it - it's funny, the performances are brilliant, the design is pretty extraordinary, the songs are great and it does the near impossible job of placating both those who love, and those who hate Barbie.

I also felt it didn't quite work. I think there's a couple of things that pulled me out of it.  The first is that this is one of the least subtle films I've ever seen. I know that's kind of the point, but still - whilst it's great that there's a film so happily wearing its feminist colours on its sleeve, it feels the need to tell, not merely show - grinding to a halt to do so several times.  This in itself would be fine if it didn't also conclude in a manner that sits on the fence more than you might have expected. (Big spoilers for the ending follow)
    Spoiler:
    So, yeah, as a comedy, I very much enjoyed it, and it's definitely a fun couple of hours.  As a piece of social commentary tucked within a 2 hour advert though - not so much.

(Though, having whinged about the films lack of subtlety I gather Ben Shapiro's made a 45 minute video in which he continues to fail to understand it, so what do I know?)

Oppenheimer

I was expecting to hate this. I was of the view that Nolan's been off the boil for a while, and that I had no real desire to see a 3 hour movie about a man I already knew a fair bit about.

It was, however, absolutely spectacular.  I didn't notice the 3 hour runtime at all.  Predictably the roster of Very Famous Actors are all excellent (Murphy and RDJ will surely get nominations). I saw it in an IMAX, and the sheer seat shaking force of the thing is breathtaking - whilst massive faces are less ridiculous than expected, especially when every wrinkle on that face is acting its socks off.

It's not perfect. It's a Nolan film, so there were brief bits where I couldn't quite catch what people were saying.  Similarly, it's a Nolan film so the women feel much more of an after thought.  (There was a discussion on the film thread about whether the nudity in this film is gratuitous. It's not, it's there for a very clear and specific thematic reason. But that reason is "This Lady Personifies Irresistible Sexual Desire And We Will Show That By Having Her Almost Always Naked."). Like Barbie, it is also not a subtle film, but unlike Barbie it makes its points using every tool available.

Imperfections aside, it's magnificent. I was going to wait until this was on a streaming service (and then probably not get round to it).  I'm really glad I didn't - a fine film and, yes, dammit, one you should see in a cinema.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Joined the Oppenhypetrain. Have booked IMAX for Saturday.
  • Wham!
    Maybe the simplest documentary I’ve ever seen. Montage footage with the two of them talking through their career from childhood to the farewell gig. Pleasant, but you won’t learn anything new.
  • So George is archive footage then?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Joined the Oppenhypetrain. Have booked IMAX for Saturday.

Apparently the Melbourne IMAX is the only cinema in the southern hemisphere to have an IMAX film print. People are coming from other countries to see it here. Now I see why it's sold out through till the end of August. I've got my tickets for Friday. Should be a pretty lush thing.
  • I am hoping BFI IMAX do more showings past mid-August.  I think they have it on 70mm film.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I imagine it's the same as the Melbourne one. 1570. 15 spoke 70mm print I think is what that means.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Apparently the 70mm IMAX film print is 18km long and weighs 272 kilos. There is no cinema here that can show it.
  • Kow wrote:
    Apparently the 70mm IMAX film print is 18km long and weighs 272 kilos. There is no cinema here that can show it.

Well it is dealing with quite a heavy topic
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • So George is archive footage then?
    Fuck knows how long that Wham film has sat in a vault unfinished. It seems to be just a hack job of editing stuff around a very old pair of individual audio interviews with the two of them. The end result is nice though. Literally - it’s nice. Pleasant. It’s good enough.
  • poprock wrote:
    So George is archive footage then?
    Fuck knows how long that Wham film has sat in a vault unfinished. It seems to be just a hack job of editing stuff around a very old pair of individual audio interviews with the two of them. The end result is nice though. Literally - it’s nice. Pleasant. It’s good enough.

A Wham, no bam, thank you madam that was delightful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!