Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    32. Dodgeball Still bloody hilarious, but the D+ version is sadly edited with some of the best cursing taken out. 8

Tell me they left in the Cock flavoured lollipop?

And yes on Erin, great movie.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Robots - Jack Whitehall “comedy” on Prime. A spoiled man child has an illegal robot do all his dirty work for him, including picking up women. Hilarity does not ensue [3]

Kingsman: The Secret Service - Matt Vaughn at his directorial best in a story about a kid from the streets joining the secretest of secret organisations. Super stylised action movie with the church scene still one of the best choreographed fight scenes put to screen, even more so due to Firth being the man in the middle of it all [10]
  • Ah, not the animated film, confusion over.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No I really enjoyed that Robots.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last and First Men Philisophical piece consisting of a monologue from far distant humanity at the end of existence attempting communication via shared consciousness. This takes place over 70 odd minutes; consisting of slow panning monochrome shots of brutalist war memorials long abandoned in the former Yugoslavian wilderness with sparse commentary from Tilda Swinton and atmospheric ambient music.  Not one for the popcorn then.

Makes for an interesting thought experiment. Apparantly based on a novel I may search out as it's sci-fi on a grand scale.

BFI.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 19 movies watched.  I'm really lagging this year.

19. Return to Seoul - 9 July
    A Korean adopted by a French couple as a baby ends up in Seoul as a grown woman, and tries to locate her biological parents, ending up stuck between two cultures and two worlds, searching for her true identity.  The lead is a revelation as a first-time actor and the story is highly emotional and affecting.  Moments of briliance throughout with some very nuanced acting, the movie as a whole was only slightly ruined (for me) by some of the narrative choices/direction.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 70. Step Brothers [6]
    Funny and you cant go wrong with Will Ferrel and John C. Reilly. Both are great but I kinda feel like Adam Mckay didnt really bother beyond a basic concept and letting the two leads do the main work. Good but I think it could have been even better

71. Boston Strangler [5]
    I'm not sure this movie really decided what its focus was - the suspected murderers, the reporters, the role of women at the time. Its not bad, just feels like it never gets going despite being quite long

72. Nimona [9]
    Absolutely superb animation. Funny, thoughtful, engaging with a brilliant anti-hero who I would be all in for a sequel. There's a nice bit of subtext going on thats not hidden by any stretch but doesnt feel forced. Wonderful stuff from Netflix.

73. Elemental [6]
    The opposite of Nimona, its lovely to look at but Elemental is really lazy at times. The idea of using elements as stand in for cultures kinda falls apart as the idea really doesnt work (hard to have a movie whose message is everyone can co-exist when you spend the first half showing how damaging each element can be to the other) 

That said, there's moments where the old pixar thoughtfulness breaks through so its not a complete waste and it does look super. Just dont expect too much (Daughter and friend did love it though)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning (Part 1)
    This is, for my money, a definite step down from Fallout, whilst still a Good Time.  The writing leans far too heavily on people repeatedly restating what's going on, and by having an amorphous AI entity as its villain, it lacks a bad guy with the physical oomph that Cavill brought before.

The women in this film are easily the more interesting characters, and yet it's clear that it doesn't quite know what to do with them.  Rebecca Ferguson is wonderful but criminally underused, whilst Vanessa Kirby gets a little more to get her teeth into than last time, but still feels a bit one note.  Pom Klemtieff manages to pretty effectively erase all memories of Mantis from her CV, but really, it's only Hayley Attwell who really gets to do much. Fortunately she's great, and threatens to steal the movie from under Cruise's nose. 

Ah, Cruise.  Does he run?  Yes, of course he does. And jumps off things.  And through things. And hits people, and falls over - appearing only to falter when faced with the challenge of the hit and miss comedy sequences. Meanwhile Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg are... there.

Of course, none of this matters. What matters are the action scenes, and these are, mostly, fantastic. Cars will chase, motorbikes will jump, stuff will explode, and a whole section appears to have been lifted wholesale from Uncharted 2 (very successfully).

So, yeah, not the best M:I movie - though quite where I place it in the pantheon will ultimately depend on whether Part 2 delivers. (Yes, it's another half finished bloody movie, which is all the rage at present.). It is, none the less, exactly what anyone - including me - hopes and expects to get from this sort of film. Just not the surpassing of those expectations that Fallout delivered.

Hatching

Odd little Finnish horror flick.  Be warned, this is one of those horror movies that's About Something - much more so than it is about actual scares. That said, having embraced that sub-text, it delivers it with aplomb.

The central character, Tinja, is a teenage girl who finds a strange egg in the woods, and decides to hatch it.  For a while it's hard to know who the monster in the film will prove to be - the monstrous bird that emerges, or Tinja's mother - an awful, controlling woman who is fixated on documenting her supposedly perfect family online.

There is something slightly off kilter about the tone of the film from the outset, and plaudits definitely ought to go to the people responsible for designing Tinja's gloriously grotesque bird buddy.

As I say, it's not a particularly scary film, and most of the truly awful stuff happens off screen, but it's still pleasingly nasty in places, and makes its point remarkably effectively...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeeees tin, a fellow Hatching lover!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spotlight Thought I had seen this, but it seems not. Tale of catholic child abuse cover up in Boston exposed by investigative journalists. Top rank cast make the 2hrs fly past. An important film that is extremely well made.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Excellent film, makes you wish our gutter press actually spent some time doing important journalism.
  • It's really good. A colleague described it as the paedo Zodiac and it fits.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Excellent film, makes you wish our gutter press actually spent some time doing important journalism.

Somewhere a Guardian writer is weeping.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Scream
    My favourite slasher movie.
    In fact one of my favourite movies in general. Love it.
    5 knives out of 5

Scream 2
    Decent enough sequel and returning cast.
    The movie (and franchise) really misses Jamie Kennedy when gets offed.
    3.5 Knives out of 5

Scream 3
    Oh my god what is Courtney Cox doing with that hair.
    1.5 Knives out of 5
  • Extraction 2
    The antidote to John Wick 4’s po-faced, drawn-out self-indulgence. Two hours long but zips by so fast it feels like half an hour. No plot. Barely any characters. Action for its own sake. (Not as good as the first one though.)
  • Bodies Bodies Bodies
    Fucking awful.
    At one point I found myself shouting "shoot her in the face" after an annoying prick of a character went on some ear bleeding rant about their blog.

I wanted everyone to die painfully by the end. Maybe that's the point but it sure doesn't make for an entertaining movie.
  • I second all of that.
  • Ha, yeah I didn't like it that much either. But not because the characters are obnoxious (I think that's the point of the film) but because I think the film is meant to be kind of a rug pull sort of movie but I don't think anyone is so stupid to believe what its trying to pretend is going on for one second.

• 81. Lake Placid
    It's not as witty as it thinks it is but at 80 mins you can't help but have fun with it. Still a good watch
    [6]

82. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning part 1
    The main problem this film has is that Fallout exists. That's really the perfect modern MI movie and is just stunning action filmmaking. This has a lot of flaws I think and there isn't enough excitement to distract from the iffy scripting and pacing. There's some good sequences (car chase and airport) but there's also a lot of CGI compared the previous ones and they obviously couldn't figure out any stunts that top what came in the last two in terms of excitement. I wonder if Cruise breaking his ankle in Fallout really helped them tighten and perfect that film.
    This was my most wanted film for this year and I was a little disappointed.
    [6]

83. Godzilla (2015)
    I know a lot of people give this film shit but I really like it, warts and all. Re-watching it I really didn't feel like there wasn't much monster time and the beautiful cinematography and sound design carried me through. Neighbours knocked on the door thinking something bad was happening because of the rumble from the subwoofer.
    [8]
  • Neighbours knocked on the door thinking something bad was happening because of the rumble from the subwoofer.

Achievement unlocked.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Eyes Wide Shut

It was only at a later age I realised how beautiful that era's Kidman is. Stunning woman.

I found this a bit...dull? I get the meaning behind it, that subtext, but its in essence not very entertaining. Not very gripping.

I can imagine that 'sequence' being shocking at the time. Twenty-five years ago it would have been scintillating, a big production so openly sexual.

But yeah, Cruise is decent but he has been better. Some wonderful cinematography and opulence.

But not one of Kubrick's best. [7]

A Few Good Men

Absolutely chewing of scenery. Nicholson is so OTT its marvellous. Cruise seems to still be finding his feet at being the big star. Moore is okay. Bacon is brilliant but he rarely isn't.

Very, very early to mid 90s. Cheese overload at points. The section at the end, post-Nicholskn's infamous scene, is so so bad I laughed out loud.

Was never bored, and was caught up in it. Its an enjoyable film that has aged, bar a few scenes, fucking terribly. [7]
  • @Shabby yesss mate I like the new Godzilla flicks. Perfect popcorn monster movies.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @DS deserves a slap for the AFGM score. It’s a stone cold classic, the cheese adds flavour. But you are right Bacon rocks, as he does in everything except GOTG Christmas Special.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its just not that great a film as a first time watch these days.
  • 20. Running Out of Time - 15 July
    Stylish cat-and-mouse movie acted out between a criminal who has 72 hours to live and an intelligent cop who is stuck in a clerical role. Calssic Hong Kong action thriller.
    [8]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @Shabby yesss mate I like the new Godzilla flicks. Perfect popcorn monster movies.

Yeah, I like all of them. Turn the brain off and turn the sound up!
    poprock wrote:
    Neighbours knocked on the door thinking something bad was happening because of the rumble from the subwoofer.

Achievement unlocked.

Although I might need to see if there's a way to isolate and insulate the sound a little more as I don't want to turn it down halfway through again.
  • poprock wrote:
    Neighbours knocked on the door thinking something bad was happening because of the rumble from the subwoofer.

Achievement unlocked.

Everybody needs good friends.
  • The Black Phone
    Dark abduction horror with supernatural themes.
    While violent in places it resists the obvious temptations to become gratuitous or vicious, instead alluding to the worst of it.
    Enjoyable, kept me on the edge of my seat and felt overall different.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Three Thousand Years of Longing

Swinton and Elba clearly enjoying themselves in the tale of the Djinn from the bottle. A film of two halves where the first half is much stronger than the second. I wish for a little bit of a better script. [6]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!